Telling random strangers that Jesus loves them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thought I get from the gospels is that the apostles and disciples, and by extension us, were offered an invitation. But going to random strangers saying Jesus loves you, or your invited to heaven etc etc, isn't going to accomplish much. Jonah went to Nineveh and told them, in 40 days your city is going to be destroyed. This was in obedience. Eventually. And Jonah was angry because he knew that if the Ninevites repented, and they did, then because God is gracious, He would change His mind and make Jonah look silly. But the point is this. It wasn't just Jonah's message that prompted the entire city of 120,000 from the little guy even the king, to repent. The holy Spirit had already done the groundwork. Had already prepared hearts and made them open to truth.
I believe today is no different. I believe all the people of the world are being convicted by the Spirit of God that these times are different. There's a crisis coming that people are genuinely worried about. They are open to the truth, explanations, and a way of escape. We offer them a solution after conversing with them about life. How are they coping? How's the family doing? Show them first that we care for their welfare but without being too intrusive and nosy. I think you will find people are receptive to at least a conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyway, I've heard it said that faith is spelled R-I-S-K. If you feel the unction to tell someone Jesus loves them, go for it.
The worst thing that'll happen is you'll get martyred for it. But that probably won't happen. Lol
Often your feelings will get hurt, but you also might help someone meet Jesus!
If you are wearing a mask and have to stay 2 meters from the person, you might have to raise your voice.
Me, I like standing at the side, worshipping and bringing God's presence. And they hear my words...some even say they like my voice!
I should ask if I can pray for their hearing! Lol
If someone is struggling, perhaps you can ask if you can pray for them. Be respectful, and you'll be surprised how often people respond positively.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thought I get from the gospels is that the apostles and disciples, and by extension us, were offered an invitation. But going to random strangers saying Jesus loves you, or your invited to heaven etc etc, isn't going to accomplish much.
I like Paul's take on this.....
"So I run like someone who has a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something, not just the air. " (1 Corinthians 9:26)
Paul is talking about his Christian ministry....to have a goal and a purpose, not wasting energy by losing our words in the air, but instead hitting people's ears. Those standing on street corners talking to no one in particular, are talking at people, not to them. Hearing a few words as they pass by is not giving them the message.

How did Jesus send his disciples out to preach?
"And whatever city or village you enter, inquire who is worthy in it, and stay at his house until you leave that city. 12 As you enter the house, give it your greeting. 13 If the house is worthy, see that your blessing of peace comes upon it. But if it is not worthy, take back your blessing of peace. 14 And whoever does not receive you nor listen to your words, as you leave that house or city, shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment, than for that city."
This is way more personal than a chance encounter. It is a commitment out of love for others because Jesus died to save them.....but only if they accept his sacrifice....how can they accept something they have never heard of?
Why are Christendom's preachers M.I.A? :oops:

If we each have the commission to preach, and I believe that we do (Revelation 22:17)....then Paul's words apply to all of us....
Romans 10:13-14...
"for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How then are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? How are they to believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher?"

Who is the "Lord" spoken about here? Since Paul was quoting from Joel 3:32....it is Yahweh, (Jehovah).
And we are to take our message of the Kingdom out to those who need to hear it. Harder now with the current situation, but people still need to hear about the Kingdom any way we can reach them. They need this "good news" now more than ever. Technology gives us the means....

I believe all the people of the world are being convicted by the Spirit of God that these times are different. There's a crisis coming that people are genuinely worried about. They are open to the truth, explanations, and a way of escape. We offer them a solution after conversing with them about life. How are they coping? How's the family doing? Show them first that we care for their welfare but without being too intrusive and nosy. I think you will find people are receptive to at least a conversation.
That's it.....we have to care enough about them to offer them the truth and let God do the rest. (John 6:65; 1 Corinthians 3:6-7)

Reactions: Brakelite

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyone ever hear the saying, "All things are possible, if one only believes." Or, "Everything is possible to him that believes."
And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” 58And He did not do many miracles there, because of their unbelief. - Mathew 13:58
I think that some, due to their lack of faith, shore up their sense of insecurity by explaining away everything that makes them uneasy.
That includes attempting to destroy those who disagree with them, which in turn can destroy the faith of some who are watching.
"But we are protecting others from Satan." In my eyes, they are doing the work of Satan. We are to instill faith, not quench it!
Talk about a thorn in the side! Spirit of unbelief, get away from me, in Jesus' name!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What a wonderful post! This tells me that you yourself love Jesus and want others to come to love him too.....
But what did Jesus ask his disciples to do? Was it to tell people that Jesus loved them? I can't see a single passage that indicates that this was to be the message that they were to preach. Jesus told them that he loved them, but what did Jesus tell them to preach to others about?
God's Kingdom!

What is God's Kingdom then? I have asked many people this question and received a lot of different replies, ranging from scriptural comments to blank stares. Could this be why Christianity is failing? Are Christians out there "preaching the good news of the kingdom"? (Matthew 24:14) Or are they preaching at all? Did Jesus tell his disciples to go into a building and wait for people to come to them? Or was his instruction to go out to the people and tell them some "good news"? (Matthew 10:11-15; Matthew 28:19-20) All they hear is bad news.....its depressing.

If you don't know what God's Kingdom is, how can you preach to people about it? Do they want to hear about Jesus loving them or are they more concerned about how the kingdoms of this world are failing their people? Do they have hope of something better? Are they confident that their leaders have their best interests at heart? Can they trust those in power not to be corrupt?

Our present situation presents challenges, and no one is immune to what is happening to their lives at present. Their jobs, their family life, their health and security are all under threat. What they need is hope.

When you get to the heart of what is concerning people today, its mostly about what is happening in their lives and to give them some light at the end of this dismal tunnel. The Kingdom is that light.....so what do you think it is?
Hey there Sydney girl......Of a truth it is the Kingdom of God that Jesus spoke of.....nay, lived it.
When he sent the seventy out in pairs to share the same message......most of whom left him afterwards. What do we suppose they told the people?

The question is pertinent however it is not a whip to pull people into line because they don't understand or give vague even poor answers.
People are enamoured with their opinions, their theologies, their prejudices and bias's as they were in Jesus day yet he shared something they hadn't heard from their teachers.....What was it?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anyone ever hear the saying, "All things are possible, if one only believes." Or, "Everything is possible to him that believes."
And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” 58And He did not do many miracles there, because of their unbelief. - Mathew 13:58
I think that some, due to their lack of faith, shore up their sense of insecurity by explaining away everything that makes them uneasy.
That includes attempting to destroy those who disagree with them, which in turn can destroy the faith of some who are watching.
"But we are protecting others from Satan." In my eyes, they are doing the work of Satan. We are to instill faith, not quench it!
Talk about a thorn in the side! Spirit of unbelief, get away from me, in Jesus' name!
Were the Jews thinking the same thing about Jesus?
confused0082.gif
Did the Jewish leaders believe that they were right and Jesus was subverting the faith of his fellow Jews? Apparently they did such a good job of convincing their flocks that Jesus was a false Messiah, that they plotted his murder....and got away with it by blackmailing the Roman Governor.

Instilling faith means giving people a solid foundation for it...not pie in the sky "feel good" stuff, but a good solid scriptural education such as Jesus imparted to his disciples. In order to lay a new foundation, the old one had to be dismantled.....that is what Jesus did. He was not quenching faith in God, but trying to show the Jews that faith in their corrupt leaders would be their undoing.....leading to a loss of God's favor. (Matthew 23:37-39)

At this juncture, we are all in the same fight, with the same enemy, but many do not see his influence in Christendom's God-dishonoring doctrines, any more than the Jews did in Jesus' day.

If I broke your arm pushing you out of the way of a runaway truck, would you hate me? Sometimes you have to hurt people to save their lives. :(

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey there Sydney girl......Of a truth it is the Kingdom of God that Jesus spoke of.....nay, lived it.
When he sent the seventy out in pairs to share the same message......most of whom left him afterwards. What do we suppose they told the people?

The question is pertinent however it is not a whip to pull people into line because they don't understand or give vague even poor answers.
People are enamoured with their opinions, their theologies, their prejudices and bias's as they were in Jesus day yet he shared something they hadn't heard from their teachers.....What was it?

Salvation has come...and His Name is Jesus.

For lack of better words, it's a marketing tool, a revealing, that sparks an interest in people of all ages, all walks of life, that is an effective common theme geared toward people; who are naturally curious and inquisitive.

An announcement of a thing...
What the thing is...
What the thing can do...
and how to get it!

From toys, to tools, to equipment, to radios, to phones, to vehicles, to homes, to computers, to internet, to drugs, to cures, to gadgets, to miracles ... people are naturally curious to lend an ear....

The "success" of the "thing" in any "era"...
IS the "testimony" of People "who";
Have the "thing", and "testify" of "how good, worthy, helpful, successful" the thing has been for them....or not.

Glory to God,
Taken

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey there Sydney girl
Well, g'day there fellow Aussie...there are a few of us on here I see....:D

......Of a truth it is the Kingdom of God that Jesus spoke of.....nay, lived it.
Understanding that Jewish expectation of the Messiah had been very skewed by the Pharisees, and that the Jewish people were chafing under Roman domination, the good news of God's Kingdom may well have been the welcome relief that people today are also wanting to hear about. Something is very wrong with our world too, and we want to see something done about it. The Kingdom is our only hope as well. Man cannot fix the mess he has created.

Jesus prepared his disciples for the coming tribulation that was going to bear down on the city of Jerusalem as God's punishment for their relentless disobedience. Jesus told them to flee the city when they saw encamped armies surrounding it. This happened in 66CE. But those inside the city had no way to escape in order to obey Jesus command.....they must have wondered what to do....but for some inexplicable reason the Roman troops withdrew, leaving the way open for the Christians to flee the city. They were warned not to go back for their belongings but to get out of there as quickly as they could and head for the mountains. Those who obeyed were saved, because four years later the Roman army came back and laid siege to the city cutting off all supplies and eventually breaching its walls and destroying its temple....which has never been rebuilt. Over a million lives were lost. But they could have escaped if they had just listened to the right people.

So as we see the world heading for another even greater tribulation today...where can we go to escape?
God will tell us where the "mountains" are. We again have to listen to the right people. That is how I see it.

This can be true.....it can also be true that obedience is all that He requires. After all, it is all God has ever asked of his worshippers since the beginning.

Does he whip us for not understanding or threaten us with a fiery hell if we don't have the knowledge to prepare ourselves? Or does he do what he has always done....?...simply given us the choice to obey him and live, or to disobey him and forfeit our right to life? That is something even a child can understand.

What do you think?

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Many of the parables if not most start with 'the Kingdom of God is like.....' .....a mustard seed, a lost sheep. a lost coin etc. If it doesn't start with that preface, the intention is the same. Using likenesses, Jesus is communicating the nature of his reality and that of the Father, however, it is also communicating a process....like that of the sower or the wheat and the tares.

I think he does this because it feeds any seeker's curiosity for enquiry. It becomes a live wire rather than a cut-de-sac.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, g'day there fellow Aussie...there are a few of us on here I see....:D

Understanding that Jewish expectation of the Messiah had been very skewed by the Pharisees, and that the Jewish people were chafing under Roman domination, the good news of God's Kingdom may well have been the welcome relief that people today are also wanting to hear about. Something is very wrong with our world too, and we want to see something done about it. The Kingdom is our only hope as well. Man cannot fix the mess he has created.

Jesus prepared his disciples for the coming tribulation that was going to bear down on the city of Jerusalem as God's punishment for their relentless disobedience. Jesus told them to flee the city when they saw encamped armies surrounding it. This happened in 66CE. But those inside the city had no way to escape and in order to obey Jesus command.....they must have wondered what to do....but for some inexplicable reason the Roman troops withdrew, leaving the way open for the Christians to flee the city. They were warned not to go back for their belongings but to get out of there as quickly as they could and head for the mountains. Those who obeyed were saved, because four years later the Roman army came back and laid siege to the city cutting off all supplies and eventually breaching its walls and destroying its temple....which has never been rebuilt. Over a million lives were lost. But they could have escaped if they had just listened to the right people.

So as we see the world heading for another even greater tribulation today...where can we go to escape?
God will tell us where the "mountains" are. We again have to listen to the right people. That is how I see it.

This can be true.....it can also be true that obedience is all that He requires. After all, it is all God has ever asked of his worshippers since the beginning.

Does he whip us for not understanding or threaten us with a fiery hell if we don't have the knowledge to prepare ourselves? Or does he do what he has always done....?...simply given us the choice to obey him and live, or to disobey him and forfeit our right to life? That is something even a child can understand.

What do you think?
We are to obey, that is a given yet who of us obeys as one should....as we know we should?
More questions are being given birth to and are well worthy of discussion but so the topic is not derailed it would be good if 'The Kingdom of God' can be nutted out; perhaps better said, opened up and fleshed out.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Many of the parables if not most start with 'the Kingdom of God is like.....' .....a mustard seed, a lost sheep. a lost coin etc. If it doesn't start with that preface, the intention is the same. Using likenesses, Jesus is communicating the nature of his reality and that of the Father, however, it is also communicating a process....like that of the sower or the wheat and the tares.
I agree.....but getting the sense of those parables was not always easy for the ones who had their ears stopped up. Most Jews did not see the value of the Kingdom that Jesus offered, preferring the Pharisees version of it instead.

Jewish expectation about the Kingdom was as skewed as their expectation of the Messiah. Hence the education of the various aspects about it were necessary.....its value, and what was required to obtain it.
The 'wheat and the weeds' is one of my favorites, I guess because Jesus went into great detail to explain it. You cannot miss its meaning because it explains why we have Christendom in all its fragmented and disobedient denominations.

I think he does this because it feeds any seeker's curiosity for enquiry. It becomes a live wire rather than a cut-de-sac.
Kind of like those who have held back from the Cv19 shots because they would rather wait and do more research than dive in and become a casualty of "whoops, how did that happen"? because no long term studies have been possible.
Truth seekers are a certain type of individual. They will not be bullied or coerced into going against their gut....they don't need to go with the flow.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are to obey, that is a given yet who of us obeys as one should....as we know we should?
Our sinful selves get in the way sometimes, but Jesus has that covered as long as there is genuine repentance.

More questions are being given birth to and are well worthy of discussion but so the topic is not derailed it would be good if 'The Kingdom of God' can be nutted out; perhaps better said, opened up and fleshed out.
That sounds like a great idea.....wanna start a thread? :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Salvation has come...and His Name is Jesus.

For lack of better words, it's a marketing tool, a revealing, that sparks an interest in people of all ages, all walks of life, that is an effective common theme geared toward people; who are naturally curious and inquisitive.

An announcement of a thing...
What the thing is...
What the thing can do...
and how to get it!

From toys, to tools, to equipment, to radios, to phones, to vehicles, to homes, to computers, to internet, to drugs, to cures, to gadgets, to miracles ... people are naturally curious to lend an ear....

The "success" of the "thing" in any "era"...
IS the "testimony" of People "who";
Have the "thing", and "testify" of "how good, worthy, helpful, successful" the thing has been for them....or not.

Glory to God,
Taken
I've come to understand that God's 'thing' is so radical even those who are 'devout' have difficulty grasping its overflowing magnanimity
Through the centuries this breathtaking generosity of God has only been seen by few. We would rather settle for something less radical.
Jesus summarised it as 'The Kingdom of God'

We know how the kingdoms of men operate....all of them. It's the law of the jungle; survival of the fittest and violence is the M.O.....emotional violence, mental violence and the out working of those are physical. Oppression on every level from the family to business to nations is how it works. Jesus addressed this, 'you know how the gentiles lord it over them' he said 'it shall not be like that with you' ....if you want to be the greatest, being the servant is the route.
Do we get how radical that is? do we really get it??.....it means the boss is obliged to clean the toilets after someone has had a loose bowel!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do we get how radical that is? do we really get it??.....it means the boss is obliged to clean the toilets after someone has had a loose bowel!
Yep.... you got it.... Sadly... many Christians are a bit too busy STICKING up for their rights... which at this time are merely inconveniences... The western world has been spoilt... and is entitled... we can't even stand waiting in a line of cars at the drive-thru.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our sinful selves get in the way sometimes, but Jesus has that covered as long as there is genuine repentance.

That sounds like a great idea.....wanna start a thread? :)
Let's exhaust this one.
....and I would add, what if Jesus has it covered even if there is no repentance??....ohhhhhh, now I'm going out on a limb, however please don't jump to conclusions using the principles of the kingdom of men; the 'paradigm' which drips from our lips before we've understood the principles of 'The Kingdom of God' :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yep.... you got it.... Sadly... many Christians are a bit too busy STICKING up for their rights... which at this time are merely inconveniences... The western world has been spoilt... and is entitled... we can't even stand waiting in a line of cars at the drive-thru.
yeah, we know what the many Christians do....that experience is known to multitudes. It is done and experienced because the Kingdom of God is foreign....so foreign in fact they are lost when it comes to explaining it let alone living in it.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's exhaust this one.
....and I would add, what if Jesus has it covered even if there is no repentance??....ohhhhhh, now I'm going out on a limb, however please don't jump to conclusions using the principles of the kingdom of men; the 'paradigm' which drips from our lips before we've understood the principles of 'The Kingdom of God' :)
Back tomorrow to address this.....too tired now to think clearly...

See you later.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this a good idea or a bad one? On the one hand, maybe some of the people I come into contact with really need to hear that Jesus loves them. Maybe that could even plant a seed that grows into true faith down the line. OTOH, if people are told that Jesus loves them, they may think God doesn't desire them to repent of the sins they are committing, and they become more secure in their sins. I feel like if I don't do it I'm being a coward and failing to acknowledge Jesus before others, which the bible instructs us to do. Lately this is how I've been feeling. Can anyone else relate? I want to be evangelical and I want to work for our Lord and savior. I'm just not entirely sure how to do so. I'm not exactly a gifted orator or gifted at convincing people of things. Any advice?

God bless

I tend to agree sir, it could be a good starting point, a conversation starter that might lead to becoming a believer. At any rate, it can be considered a seed as we are to spread, and I would imagine that many have become Christians by that very thing being said to them. It also is not a falsehood, Jesus gave his life out of love for people, so yes he does love them, sadly though most will not reciprocate that love.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In one respect I think there are some (in the Christian faith), saying, The governed did not authorize the Government to Dictate "THEY" have Power to "grant citizens Rights" already given them BY God. saying to others, "you are not alone" inasmuch as governments are propogandazing that message....Many many others ARE Exercising their God Given Rights, "WITHOUT" "asking the governments "permission"!

Personally, to your point, about the impatience of "waiting in lines". Ya, I do not like "waiting in lines"...and I routinely arrange my affairs, business, travel etc., to avoid "line waiting". I'd say on average I spend no more than 15 minutes A WEEK, "waiting in a line".
But do agree with you..."waiting in lines" most likely is a huge "bummer", "agitator" for many people. Daily Traffic I would say is the "worst"... yikes.