Testamonies That Give You Reason To Believe In God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
I believe I was blessed with a visit by the Holy Spirit on 1/10/78 at 6:30 A.M. in Huntsville Al.....The following is a reaccountment of that experience:

On the night prior to my recieving what I believe to have been a Spiritual certainty that GOD not only really exists but that HE is personally intrested in me, I was very depressed, to the point that I either wished to die or know for sure that GOD was real. So I lay in my bed and begged the LORD to show me in some way that HE was real and not just someone I had read about in a book and told about by my parents and various churches over the years, if HE didn't exist and was just a fictional character than I no longer had a desire to go on living, doing things I no longer enjoyed Etc. I must have lay there in bed with tears running down my cheeks for an hour or more wishing that the world as I knew it would go away.

Well I finally fell off to sleep and awoke the following morning at around 6:00 and went into the bathroom to shave in preparation for work . What happened next is something that I have never forgotten even though it happened 31 years ago.

As I was standing before the mirror shaving I suddenly had a very warm feeling in the center of my chest that than spred out my arms and down my legs, at first I thought of a heart attact but instantly realized that this was something that felt more wonderful than anything I had ever felt before. There is just no way I can put that feeling into words. At this same time my body felt as though it had no weight, like if I were to jump up I would slowly float down, the lights around the mirror seemed brighter, like they had just been replaced by 150 watt. bulbs, tears were running down my cheeks and bible verses I learned as a kid in Sunday school raced through my mind . With lather on my face I stepped out side and the sky looked bluer and the the air smelled like the clothes did when my Mother used to first take the washing off the line. also I felt a love for everything and every body.

Had this not happened to me and you were telling me this story I'm sure my eyes would be rolling back in my head about now, as it was just to weird, But it did happen, and it happened to me Jan.10,1978. This feeling of euphoria lasted for exactly 9 days and then slowly faided away, Did it change me? Well I no longer doubt that there is a heigher power that I had wondered about before, and that I do matter to HIM, Other than that I can't say it gave me a desire to become a Minister, Evangilest, or Missionary, but it did leave me with a burning desire to read and study the bible and books pretaining to the bible.

I still have a strong interest in the spiritual teachings of GOD as found in His word but it is not as strong as it was at that time, it seems to come and go in waves. But I have never again had that wonderfull feeling I had for those 9 days, I can only assume that after 9 days GOD chose for me to "Live by Faith " and not by my Feelings.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks for opening this thread.

My experiences are varied, sometimes in church, sometimes out of church, sometimes reading the Bible, but the one I remember more vividly is the happiness and joy I fet right after working with homeless, drug-addict children and teenagers.

It seems hard to believe I could have done that, btw.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Thanks for sharing! Although I have not experienced anything like you have described, the Lord has put certain burdens on my heart. I have desires to read the bible and grow in his word and like you I also have the desire to possibly become an evangelist or missionary. God knows what is best for all of us and I am sure that he gave you that experience with great purpose...like you said, it's been 31 years and you still remember it.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You, my friend, big dummy, are a very blessed person.
My smile has not stopped since I saw your topic and read your testimonial.
Yes, isn't it funny how we all say at 11:34 pm on Oct 11 2008 or something... :)
We all do. Now I really feel you are my brother even more. Big warm smile.

"We all" being people that for some reason were given a Divine Visitation - a Divine Revelation -
A filling of the Holy Spirit --- were sprinkled with stardust, whatever one calls it from whatever religious/spiritual reference point...
"We all" are very lucky or blessed. We don't have a blind faith at all like so many others. We couldn't deny God if pressed to.
We know now.

I once had 15 years between Divine experiences - and at that point I swore I would never ever ever never forget like all
the other times when I was younger and took them for granted and let them slip right through my fingers at the first emotional upset -be it -
my car getting hit, being broken up with --something that rocked my emotional boat -and thus this "feeling of the Divine" I let slip away.

Once it actually lasted 6 months or so. Walking on air. Wisdom that ran so deep. Confidence and strength in the Lord - a life warmed with Grace.

Other times just a few moments and somehow forgotten in days. Caught up in the "rat race" of this world.

The fourth to last time - I sat and wrote down each and every time the Lord Divinely Blessed me with, what can one say -Divine Insight?
And still years later I remember times I forgot to write down -Magic, Divine Sacred Magic. Transforming an everyday person into
someone that understands the peace that surpasses understanding - lifting them up into the Heavens. Feeling what the prophets must
have felt - embued with the Holy Spirit Himself!!

There is nothing more I enjoy and want to do than to tell and relive these experiences to anyone that is open and anxious enough to listen.
They change a person to their core - and humbles them like nothing can.

Later...:) Miss Hepburn

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
Because I am born of God -- already a believer, testimonies have absolutely no bearing on my belief in God.

You, my friend, big dummy, are a very blessed person.
My smile has not stopped since I saw your topic and read your testimonial.
Yes, isn't it funny how we all say at 11:34 pm on Oct 11 2008 or something... :)
We all do. Now I really feel you are my brother even more. Big warm smile.

"We all" being people that for some reason were given a Divine Visitation - a Divine Revelation -
A filling of the Holy Spirit --- were sprinkled with stardust, whatever one calls it from whatever religious/spiritual reference point...
"We all" are very lucky or blessed. We don't have a blind faith at all like so many others. We couldn't deny God if pressed to.
We know now.

I once had 15 years between Divine experiences - and at that point I swore I would never ever ever never forget like all
the other times when I was younger and took them for granted and let them slip right through my fingers at the first emotional upset -be it -
my car getting hit, being broken up with --something that rocked my emotional boat -and thus this "feeling of the Divine" I let slip away.

Once it actually lasted 6 months or so. Walking on air. Wisdom that ran so deep. Confidence and strength in the Lord - a life warmed with Grace.

Other times just a few moments and somehow forgotten in days. Caught up in the "rat race" of this world.

The fourth to last time - I sat and wrote down each and every time the Lord Divinely Blessed me with, what can one say -Divine Insight?
And still years later I remember times I forgot to write down -Magic, Divine Sacred Magic. Transforming an everyday person into
someone that understands the peace that surpasses understanding - lifting them up into the Heavens. Feeling what the prophets must
have felt - embued with the Holy Spirit Himself!!

There is nothing more I enjoy and want to do than to tell and relive these experiences to anyone that is open and anxious enough to listen.
They change a person to their core - and humbles them like nothing can.

Later...:) Miss Hepburn
Actually, I think that learning of God is like eating spiritual meals: the first few times that a certain dish is eaten, it's pretty exciting. After many years of eating it, it is still enjoyable, and very much looked forward to as that, but it is an impossibility to remember each and every meal that I have ever eaten. So it is with God. He feeds us perpetually, and to remember each one is an impossibility. I've also forgotten so many miracles and signs and wonders over the years. People around the country remind me of many of them, and many of them I have completely forgotten until they recall them for me. It shoiuld be so natural, these things, that they don't stick out as big events. Or at least that's the way I see it. Could be wrong, though. People say that I should write memoirs. Not into that. Who needs another goofy book? We have the bible already! And yes, recounting them is fun!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi surf rider,
You said, "Because I am born of God -- already a believer, testimonies have absolutely no bearing on my belief in God." Same here.
But it is inspiring to hear them -"recounting them is fun."

I feel a need to remember the miracles and gifts and supernatural events in my life or others that I've read about.
I keep many objects around
my house -even pictures I've taken of the most amazing things that have been done for me ---it's hard to explain without being specific --- made up story: say, I have a deadline-say, to get a car fixed ---I need an esoteric part from Brazil or I'll get fired - and there turns up someone
from Brazil with the exact part I need for some nutty reason in their back pocket--you know "seemingly" impossible, ridiculous odds,
things that happen just when you need them - I will take a picture of the part and put it up on my mirrior to smile at occassionally
to remind me how incredible God is and how He gives me everything I ever need!!!

It keeps my heart from being hardened and to focus on the things above and not on the earth.

It is amazing how right after the miracle of the loaves and fish - so soon the disciples had such little faith and were scared
of the storm on the water, remember?
They just FORGOT how Jesus could do such miraculous amazing things.

Now, of course, I don't see these things as so amazing ---I see them as natural occurrences to someone who
has a personal relationship with the Almighty Creator of the Universe. To be amazed or to say, "Unbelievable", sets you up
for unbelief ---shutting down the avenue of things happening again and again.

I expect miracles. I wait for so called miracles!! I love this life and God. It excites me now that I know the "secret" !

:) Miss Hepburn

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
i had bought my first house 25 or so years ago. a old mill house.needed lots of work . one day the frige went out and i had to have another one.i bought one on faith and wrote a check for 300 dollars this was a sat. i had no money to cover that check but trusted god would provide come mon.as i sat around the house that weekend i decided to tear up the old carpet. as i pealed it back to my surprise was three one hundred dollar bills.i just wish i would of picked a better fridge.PRAISE GOD

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. gregg, now that's a neat story.

I feel a roll starting. Little things...Last year I was in a thrift store buried in books - I over heard children actually saying," I'm sick of dry cereal I wish we had milk." - older brother 11 said, "Shutup, we can't afford it." A "wave" came over me - I saw I had a bunch of bills - ones, couple of fives and a twenty.
I was being directed to give the $20. (Times were tough for me, too, that month.) A "feeling " came and guided me to give a 5. But the "Wave" was way stronger and my ability to push back the $5 inclination.

So I walked around and found 3 kids, one in the cart without their mom around - I simply handed a 20 to the 7 yr. old in the cart and kept walking.

Later, that day I sold an obscure, damaged piece of my art from my studio for $325. Got my 20 back plus more. :)

That "Wave" was supernatural - it was NOT me.
A very good example how in cartoons they show a devil and angel on each shoulder.

Maybe this will encourage people to just tell these little stories of faith, if "testimonials" are too much or too personal.

Don't forget them. In times of storm and dark nights you might need them.

Exactly.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
im in my last house now and have a main road that fronts my yard. and if you live south you know about road trash.every day after i moved here trash was always out front.me and sparkie would hop on old yellow and pick up trash,as i just fussed,and fussed.sparkie loved it because sometimes there would be a half of a biscuit or a bag of fries etc.one day the lord spoke to me and said instead of fussing put them on your prayer list.so i obeyed,so now i seldom take sparkie on a trash run. from once or twice aday to well its been about 3 mths now and the road is spotless. praise our holy father he always knows the answer even when it comes to trash.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"praise our holy father he always knows the answer even when it comes to trash." -gregg

Yes! That is it! In every single detail, He nows everything!
I rely on Him for everything. The littlest issues. That's why
I say I have no worries - as Jesus directed.
I ask people all the time ---"Just for a WEEK try not having any worry or stress about
anything! --Just see."

Go to God -Cast your cares - give Him your burdens -
and He takes care of everything.
"All your silly stomach issues will go away! Don't let
your boss stress you about some deadline." I say this all the time.

Acknowledge Him and He clears the path! It really works!!!

Oh, I get so excited about this. :)

Shelli

Nov 13, 2007
I believe I was blessed with a visit by the Holy Spirit on 1/10/78 at 6:30 A.M. in Huntsville Al.....The following is a reaccountment of that experience:

On the night prior to my recieving what I believe to have been a Spiritual certainty that GOD not only really exists but that HE is personally intrested in me, I was very depressed, to the point that I either wished to die or know for sure that GOD was real. So I lay in my bed and begged the LORD to show me in some way that HE was real and not just someone I had read about in a book and told about by my parents and various churches over the years, if HE didn't exist and was just a fictional character than I no longer had a desire to go on living, doing things I no longer enjoyed Etc. I must have lay there in bed with tears running down my cheeks for an hour or more wishing that the world as I knew it would go away.

Well I finally fell off to sleep and awoke the following morning at around 6:00 and went into the bathroom to shave in preparation for work . What happened next is something that I have never forgotten even though it happened 31 years ago.

As I was standing before the mirror shaving I suddenly had a very warm feeling in the center of my chest that than spred out my arms and down my legs, at first I thought of a heart attact but instantly realized that this was something that felt more wonderful than anything I had ever felt before. There is just no way I can put that feeling into words. At this same time my body felt as though it had no weight, like if I were to jump up I would slowly float down, the lights around the mirror seemed brighter, like they had just been replaced by 150 watt. bulbs, tears were running down my cheeks and bible verses I learned as a kid in Sunday school raced through my mind . With lather on my face I stepped out side and the sky looked bluer and the the air smelled like the clothes did when my Mother used to first take the washing off the line. also I felt a love for everything and every body.

Had this not happened to me and you were telling me this story I'm sure my eyes would be rolling back in my head about now, as it was just to weird, But it did happen, and it happened to me Jan.10,1978. This feeling of euphoria lasted for exactly 9 days and then slowly faided away, Did it change me? Well I no longer doubt that there is a heigher power that I had wondered about before, and that I do matter to HIM, Other than that I can't say it gave me a desire to become a Minister, Evangilest, or Missionary, but it did leave me with a burning desire to read and study the bible and books pretaining to the bible.

I still have a strong interest in the spiritual teachings of GOD as found in His word but it is not as strong as it was at that time, it seems to come and go in waves. But I have never again had that wonderfull feeling I had for those 9 days, I can only assume that after 9 days GOD chose for me to "Live by Faith " and not by my Feelings.
Anecdotal supernatural experiences and times of strange feelings are not what Scripture specifies for attaining faith in God. Scripture clearly says faith and belief occur by means of:

1.) Being a gift directly from God.
2.) The clarity of God's supremely created universe.
3.) Reading the Book of John.
4.) Powerful physical miracles witnessed by all those present, and not just "sensed" by a single person.

It is best not to attempt to add our own intuitive notions to the substance of Scripture. Praise God for the clarity and protection of His Word for us.