The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a hypocrite, I worship the "Lord of the Sabbath" every day.
Yes. This is isn't a matter of being a hypocrite by not keeping the sabbath command. The argument is not that God's sabbath requirement does not have to be kept, but rather that it is kept in the new way of the Spirit, just like God's requirement for circumcision is kept, not cast away, in the new way of the Spirit.

All the observances of the old covenant are 'kept' in this New Covenant, not cast down. It's just that they are kept in the new way of the Spirit in regard to the spiritual reality they represent. And so this is not a matter of being a hypocrite, keeping some commandments while breaking other ones. ALL the law of God is fulfilled in this New Covenant through the new way of faith and the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooper

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I kinda always thought that he went there to re sanctify the Sabbath by violently kicking out all of the "money changers", businessmen who were doing business in the temple on the Sabbath. Just off the cuff from what I have read. I could be wrong, but I will read it again later. Also after the Resurrection and Ascension, the Apostles in their books mention the continuation of the Sabbath. This is in the New Testament. God's Laws and Covenants do not change. The bible holds all the answers for me. Listen to the word...read the word...pray to The Eternal Living God... Please God bless all who read this may find your path of Salvation. Amen
Remember also the reason why Jesus threw out the money changers along with the market traders who were selling animals for sacrifice and ask yourself when Jesus cleansed the temple, "who was about to make the supreme sacrifice for you and me the following day?" My plea to you and everyone is that you take your eyes off the things of the world, and traditions of men and keep them firmly fixed on the Saviour of the world.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. This is isn't a matter of being a hypocrite by not keeping the sabbath command. The argument is not that God's sabbath requirement does not have to be kept, but rather that it is kept in the new way of the Spirit, just like God's requirement for circumcision is kept, not cast away, in the new way of the Spirit.

All the observances of the old covenant are 'kept' in this New Covenant, not cast down. It's just that they are kept in the new way of the Spirit in regard to the spiritual reality they represent.
The thing is, the whole of Christendom remembers the Sabbath Day in which we celebrate Christ's victory over sin and death. It is just that people in the rest of the world, don't do it on the same day as the Jews who then, and now deny the Saviour of the world. Is not recognising the victory wrought by Jesus an insult to him?

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also after the Resurrection and Ascension, the Apostles in their books mention the continuation of the Sabbath.
Yes, they continued to meet on the sabbath. What changed is the 'you have to as a matter of covenant law' part. Just as that happened in regard to circumcision and all the other observances of the old covenant. They weren't outlawed. They were laid aside as literal conditions for covenant. The condition for being in covenant with God is faith now, not law.

This is in the New Testament. God's Laws and Covenants do not change.
But they do change. In fact, they must change. For when there is a change of priesthood the law governing that priesthood must change (Hebrews 7:12). So there is no Biblical argument that God's covenants and law do not change.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they continued to meet on the sabbath. What changed is the 'you have to as a matter of covenant law' part. Just as that happened in regard to circumcision and all the other observances of the old covenant. They weren't outlawed. They were laid aside as literal conditions for covenant. The condition for being in covenant with God is faith now, not law.

But they do change. In fact, they must change. For when there is a change of priesthood the law governing that priesthood must change (Hebrews 7:12). So there is no Biblical argument that God's covenants and law do not change.
We have a new High Priest.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to the word...read the word...pray to The Eternal Living God... Please God bless all who read this may find your path of Salvation. Amen
I appreciate your impassioned plea. I believe it is sincere. So I don't want to take away the joy of your observance. But you just have to understand there is no obligation of law keeping to be in covenant with God anymore. Keeping God's commands is the result of being in covenant with God through faith in his forgiveness. And we keep the commands of God that remain to be kept, not the commands of God that have already been forever satisfied for us through the work of Christ on our behalf, like circumcision, and Passover, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread....and sabbath rest. You don't have to literally keep the requirements of a law that have already been 'kept' for you through your faith in Christ and the indwelling Holy Spirit. Continue to do what you are doing, but please understand why we do not keep the literal observances of the law. We're not hypocrites. We're not lazy. We're not rebellious. We just know that covenant, and intimacy with God, is not based on the observances of the law anymore, but rather on faith in what Christ accomplished for us through his death and resurrection and the giving of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is, the whole of Christendom remembers the Sabbath Day in which we celebrate Christ's victory over sin and death. It is just that people in the rest of the world, don't do it on the same day as the Jews who then, and now deny the Saviour of the world. Is not recognising the victory wrought by Jesus an insult to him?
Which is interesting to me because I have never considered Sunday a sabbath day. It's always been the day we meet as Christians, not some kind of specified time to keep a sabbath.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Which is interesting to me because I have never considered Sunday a sabbath day. It's always been the day we meet as Christians, not some kind of specified time to keep a sabbath.
Sabbath
(ˈsæbəθ)
n
1. (Judaism) the seventh day of the week, Saturday, devoted to worship and rest from work in Judaism and in certain Christian Churches
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Sunday, observed by Christians as the day of worship and rest from work in commemoration of Christ's Resurrection
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) (not capital) a period of rest
4. (Alternative Belief Systems) Also called: sabbat or witches' Sabbath a midnight meeting or secret rendezvous for practitioners of witchcraft, sorcery, or devil worship.
Also: Friday for Muslims.
(The Free Dictionary)
Personally, I like the first day of the week because Jesus comes first for me in all things.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I like the first day of the week because Jesus comes first for me in all things.
I guess it's all just a matter of perspective. Monday is the first day of the week for me in my mind. And Sunday is just the day the church traditionally does what God wants us to do which is meet together for worship and build each other up through our various gifts. The meeting together is not the point. What gets accomplished in our meeting together is the point.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it's all just a matter of perspective. Monday is the first day of the week for me in my mind. And Sunday is just the day the church traditionally does what God wants us to do - meet together for worship and the building up of each other through our various gifts. The meeting together not being the point. What gets accomplished in our meeting together being the point.
Does what Jesus did for you on Calvaries Cross, mean so little to you?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does what Jesus did for you on Calvaries Cross, mean so little to you?
Of course it means a lot to me. What does making Saturday or Sunday the official day that you meet together to worship God and thank him for the cross have to do with that? What does considering that day the very first day, or the very last day of your week have to do with it?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Of course it means a lot to me. What does making Saturday or Sunday the official day that you meet together to worship God and thank him for the cross have to do with that? What does considering that day the very first day, or the very last dAy of your week have to do with it?

What is wrong with remembering adversaries, celebrating them on their proper day, and complying with that person's last wishes?

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is wrong with remembering adversaries, celebrating them on their proper day, and complying with that person's last wishes?
Nothing, of course. It's the remembering and the celebrating that counts, not the legalisms associated with the remembering and celebrating. See, the non-Sabbatarians can be just as stuck in the legalisms of their traditions as much as law keepers can be. Arguing for which is the proper day to worship and remember and celebrate Christ is missing the point. The worshipping and remembering and celebrating is the point.

Jan 24, 2022
Redding California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gave no answer to the question I asked--just another example of your standard treatment of talking past people to say what you want heard.

Yes, thank you, I am revealed as one accused falsely, by one who treats nearly everyone here with a bitter contempt that is completely foreign to the meek and lowly Savior.

I love talk of the Cross, but it is commonly given the treatment of a cheap commodity here, too often provided by those who couldn't be bothered to visit and kneel there, thus having no experiential knowledge thereof. And I don't provide it at the dare or the command of scoffers who trample underfoot the law of Christ and His Father.
And so you will continue to bear false witness against your neighbors, lest you be found keeping commandments which, according to your own reckoning, would condemn yourself as a "legalistic self-saver."

Speaking of commandments, one of your colleagues recently brought this to my attention:

50 Commands of Christ - Summary List
1. Repent—Matthew 4:17, Luke 13:3
2. Let not your heart be troubled—John 14:27, John 16:33, Matthew 6:25-26, Philippians 4:6-7
3. Follow me—Matthew 4:19
4. Rejoice—Matthew 5:12, (Also 2 Corinthians 6:10, 12:10, James 1:2-4)
5. Let your light shine—Matthew 5:16
6. Honor God’s law—Matthew 5:17-19
7. Be reconciled—Matthew 5:24-25
8. Do not commit adultery—Matthew 5:27-30
9. Keep your word—Matthew 5:33-37
10. Go the second mile—Matthew 5:38-42
11. Love your enemies—Matthew 5:44
12. Be perfect—Matthew 5:48
13. Practice secret disciplines (giving, praying, fasting)—Matthew 6:1-18
14. Lay up treasures in heaven—Matthew 6:19-21
15. Seek first the kingdom of God—Matthew 6:33
16. Judge not—Matthew 7:1-2
17. Do not throw your pearls to pigs—Matthew 7:6
18. Ask, seek, and knock—Matthew 7:7-8
19. Do unto others—Matthew 7:12
20. Choose the narrow way—Matthew 7:13-14
21. Beware of false prophets—Matthew 7:15
22. Pray for those who spread the word—Matthew 9:37-38
23. Be as shrewd as serpents—Matthew 10:16. (Also Romans 16:19)
24. Fear God. Do not fear man— Matthew 10:28 (Also Luke 12:4-5)
25. Listen to God’s voice—Matthew 11:15, 13:9, 13:43, Mark 4:23, Luke 14:35, 1 Kings 19:11-13
26.Take my yoke—Matthew 11:29
27. Honor your parents—Matthew 15:4
28. Beware of false teaching—Matthew 16:6, 11-12
29. Deny yourself—Luke 9:23 (Also Matthew 10:38 and Mark 8:34)
30. Do not despise little ones—Matthew 18:10
31. Go to Christians who offend you—Matthew 8:15 (Also Galatians 6:1)
32. Forgive offenders—Matthew 18:21-22 (Also Proverbs 19:11)
33. Beware of covetousness—Luke 12:15
34. Honor marriage—Matthew 19:6, 19:9
35. Lead by being a servant—Matthew 20:26-28
36. Make the church a house of prayer for all nations—Mark 11:17
37. Pray in faith—Matthew 21:21-22, John 15:7
38. Bring in the poor—Luke 14:12-14
39. Render unto Caesar—Matthew 22:19-21
40. Love the Lord—Matthew 22:37-38
41. Love your neighbor—Matthew 22:39
42. Be born again—John 3:7
43. Await my return—Matthew 24:42-44
44. Celebrate the Lord’s supper—Matthew 26:26-
45. Watch and pray—Matthew 26:41
46. Keep my commandments—John 14:15
47. Feed my sheep—John 21:15-16
48. Make and baptize disciples—Matthew 28:19
49. Teach disciples to obey—Matthew 28:20
50. Receive God’s power—Luke 24:49​
Yep, God teaches us all those things in the Bible thru His Word, Jesus, and later through the apostles. The Old and New Testaments have the same message.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing, of course. It's the remembering and the celebrating that counts, not the legalisms associated with the remembering and celebrating. See, the non-Sabbatarians can be just as stuck in the legalisms of their traditions as much as law keepers can be. Arguing for which is the proper day to worship and remember and celebrate Christ is missing the point. The worshipping and remembering and celebrating is the point.

It is the remembering and the celebrating that we do in the Communion Service. This is why it is so important. Do Jews celebrate Christ's victory over sin and death? No. But they have their customs, that they carry out faithfully at the appropriate time. Jesus is a nobody in their eyes. And No, remembering his life and death on the right day is the correct thing to do.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus worked on the Sabbath, and that has a bearing on the Saturday Sabbath we have just been talking about, i.e. he ignored it.
Jesus did not do unlawful work on the Sabbath. That's what anti-Sabbatarians consistently fail to understand, or maybe they just lack the capacity to understand. Jesus said that it is completely lawful to do good on the Sabbath, which includes healing:

“Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” - Matt. 12:12

The whole point of the Sabbath is to set people free from Satan's grip and keep them free from his grip. That applies physically as well as spiritually. That's the whole point behind Jesus saying the Sabbath was made for man. And to your obviously false narrative about Jesus ignoring the Sabbath, the Bible tells a very different story:

"So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read." - Luk. 4:16

Two very important points emerge from that 1 passage:

1. Jesus observed the Sabbath every day of His human life
2. No matter where He was on a Saturday, He could always be found in a synagogue

I read of a very different Jesus in the Bible than the one antinomians believe in, because the Jesus i read of kept the Sabbath without fail and didn't view any His Father's commandments as irrelevant. The "Jesus" antinomians believe in however, contradicts the words in Matt. 5:18:

“Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Logic dictates that if Jesus truly viewed the Sabbath with contempt, He wouldn't be currently seated at His Father's right hand on His throne in Heaven, and He would also be the biggest hypocrite of all time for punishing the OT Israelites when they treated the Sabbath with contempt.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And No, remembering his life and death on the right day is the correct thing to do.
Then we need to go back to the Mosaic timetable of remembrances that God established and cast off these Catholic inventions that we've been serving for over 1600 years.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zealous Catholics can be an easy target for debate, but I was only stirring the pot to get more productive discussion going. The back and forth that was going on wasn't really in line with the topic of the OP.

All's well and God bless.
Protestants are an easy target for debate since you all have different 'truths'. Us Catholics have only one truth and we all stick to that one truth.

Glad to hear all is well.

Respectfully, Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.