The 144,000 before God at the end.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. They were in the ark.
LOL! Which was in the world, weathering its way through the flood, somewhere in what we know today as the Middle East. :) Wow...

Those outside all over the earth were in the world.
Actually, at some point, they were probably floating in/under the water. But yes, they were in the world... also. :) Goodness gracious.

At least get your symbolism correct??
There's no symbolism here. It is what it is... or, was what it was.

I don't think those in the ark represented a rapture
Good. Yeah, stay away from that "thinking," because there is some of that out there...

...because Adam's dead corruptible flesh, even Noah, could not enter Paradise.
Ohhhhh, boy. This might be a whole new can of worms for you, Timtofly (it shouldn't be), but I believe... well, at least Noah, because he walked with God (Genesis 6:9)... that Noah was converted and would have gone home to be with the Lord ~ and would have been with the Lord that very day in paradise, as the thief crucified on Jesus's right was ~ had he also perished in the flood. But of course God preserved his life.

The sons of God, who did not rebel left the earth. That would be your rapture, before Noah entered the ark.
giphy.gif

That is why Amil are wrong...
That's why you think "Amill" are wrong. :)

You're... a very interesting person, Timtofly. :)

Grace and peace to you.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm... really not sure I understand what you mean by this. So some are... or anybody is, really... physically alive after they have physically died? Surely that's not what you mean... If you're talking about those believers who die physically and whose spirits then go home to be with the Lord, then I'm with you there, but I would state that unbelievers go in the same fashion... somewhere else... :) This is what we refer to as the intermediate state. The parable Jesus gives in Luke 16 ~ while, yes, a parable ~ gives us some sort of a picture of what that intermediate state is for unbelievers.

According to Scripture all spirits return to God who gave them when our body dies. Only those indwelt with the life-giving Spirit return to God alive. The spirits of those who die in unbelief also returns to God who gave it, but without the life-giving Spirit. I believe that's why they are depicted as "the dead" rather then living souls as John understands are alive in heaven after physical death, i.e. spirit souls.

I don't believe the parable of Lazarus and the rich man are depictions of an intermediate state but is a depiction of the fate that awaits those who die in unbelief. Their fate, unlike Lazarus will not be pleasant and comforting, but instead be one of sorrow and great suffering. According to Scripture the intermediate state for those who die in unbelief is described as a place of silence and darkness where they know nothing.

But those who physically die, spiritually alive through His Spirit does not belong to "the dead". So, after their body dies, they as living (spirit) souls depart from the body of death and ascend to heaven spiritually alive to wait for the completion of the Kingdom of God. Then these living (spirit) souls will return with Christ to be reunited with resurrected immortal & incorruptible bodies fit for life with Christ on the new earth.

Those who died in unbelief will also be physically resurrected when Christ returns. That's when they, as "the DEAD" shall be called to stand before the great white throne judgment to be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. All of the dead will then be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death. Scripture depicts this lake as one of eternal suffering, as well as final/complete death.

For anyone, if they have their part in the first resurrection, it does ensure that they will not be subject to or experience the second death.

Yes, having part in the first resurrection while physically alive does assure we shall not experience the second death. The lake of fire, that is the second death, is for "the DEAD" not those who are alive in Christ through His Spirit in us. When we have His Spirit our spirit is alive eternally. Even though our body dies, the spirit indwelt with the Spirit from Christ lives on in heaven after physical death.

Revelation 20:6 (KJV) Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Well, right, but they won't be annihilated. They will be resurrected to eternal punishment, and their being sent away into this punishment (by Jesus, upon the final Judgment) for eternity. You don't subscribe to annihilationism, do you, RWB? Or do you?

I don't ordinarily engage in discussions regarding the eternal state for those who die in unbelief. It is to difficult for some to contemplate. Because the Bible has verses that seem to indicate eternal torment, but also the second death. Whether the second death is everlasting punishment or complete death, I do not know! I only know the final judgment that awaits those who die in unbelief will be unending and irreversible.
We disagree on this, RWB. I would say the same to you here that you said to me above: this is an assumption... or more accurately, your opinion.

How can it be my assumption if I cannot find anywhere in Scripture reference to a second resurrection? I find only the first resurrection, which is the resurrection of Christ we must have part in before we physically die to overcome the second death. Scripture also speaks of the resurrection of ALL the bodies in the grave that shall be in an hour coming when the last trump sounds. Nowhere do I read of a "second" resurrection! Which makes sense, because if Scripture tells of a second resurrection those who speak of two physical resurrections one thousand years apart would be right. But they are not right because Scripture nowhere says there shall be a second physical resurrection.

Well, there's obviously a physical resurrection at the end of the age, as Jesus says in John 5:28-29, when He says:

"Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

Some understand this to be two separate resurrections with some amount of time in between, but that's incorrect. The first resurrection is spiritual, as you said, and happens to each individual member in his/her life at the time appointed by God. There is another resurrection, though, and that one will be physical and general, as Jesus says here. But the outcome will be different for some than it is for others. At any rate, even though it's not specifically called the "second resurrection," it is, nevertheless, the second. :) I'm sure you can count as well as I can... at least to two... :) Sorry, I'm poking a little fun at you (a little good-natured humor), but the point stands.

It appears you agree that the only resurrections Scripture shows us is the first resurrection that is spiritual life from spiritual death, and in an hour coming a physical resurrection of ALL physical bodies from the graves. If Scripture called the physical resurrection the "second resurrection" how can we argue against the doctrine that teaches two separate physical resurrections separated by some amount of time? As you've said, "that's incorrect." When we define doctrine, we need to be careful to not introduce confusion as well. That's why in Amil we speak of the first resurrection as the resurrection of Christ that we must have part in during our lifetimes. This resurrection belongs to Christ, it is His that every believer shares in. And then we show the verses from John & 1Cor 15 that prove there will be only ONE bodily resurrection in an hour coming when the last trump sounds when ALL (good and bad) will be physically resurrected to either life or damnation.

I do appreciate good natured humor. These discussions often get far too heated!

Grace & Peace to you as well!

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No they stopped being Israel. Being cut off does not mean now you are grafted in. Being cut off literally means cut off.
They didn't stop being Israel. They were "of Israel" i.e. unbelieving Israel, as contrasted to "all Israel", i.e. believing Israel.

Two Israels.

Romans 9
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

1. Of Israel:
Not all Israel
The children of the flesh
Not the children of God
Not the children of the promise
Not counted for the seed

2. All Israel:
Not of Israel
Not the children of the flesh
The children of God
The children of the promise
Counted for the seed

Only one of these two Israels shall be saved.

Romans 11

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Only the faithful obedient spiritual "all Israel", comprised of the believing elect beloved remnant from Israel (Romans 9:27; Romans 11:1-5,26,28), and believers from among the Gentiles (Romans 11:11), shall be saved.

Reactions: rwb

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Scripture all spirits return to God who gave them when our body dies.
Of believers. Unbelievers' spirits go... somewhere else, as I said. Jesus told the thief crucified on His right that he (the thief) would be with Him that day in paradise, and said nothing to the thief on His left. Two things I think we can take from that are 1.) that the thief on His left was not in paradise with Jesus (that day or any other since), and 2.) his spirit was went... somewhere else, but not with the Lord. As you know, RWB... or at least I hope you do... God is present everywhere. So what I would say, then, is, yes, all spirits return to God, but not all go to be with the Lord, when they physically die. You may see that as contradictory, but it's not.

Only those indwelt with the life-giving Spirit return to God alive.
Sure. Others remain dead in their sin. See above.

The spirits of those who die in unbelief also returns to God who gave it, but without the life-giving Spirit. I believe that's why they are depicted as "the dead" rather then living souls as John understands are alive in heaven after physical death, i.e. spirit souls.
Hm. I mean, I think we're close, here, RWB, but the spirit, the soul, still exists after the physical death, but may be in one place... :) ... with the Lord, or... the other. And 'alive' and 'dead'... Let's address that this way: Even now, in this life, I'm pretty sure you would agree that there are dead people ~ dead in their sin, so not alive in Christ ~ walking around among us even now. Right? So, after physical death, there are spirits who are alive in Christ (and actually with Him), and spirits who are dead (not alive in Christ or with Him). The latter spirits still exist. And return to God, in the sense that God is present everywhere. See above.

I don't believe the parable of Lazarus and the rich man are depictions of an intermediate state but is a depiction of the fate that awaits those who die in unbelief.
Well, I say both. Because, RWB, the rich man, even from the place he is, says, "Hey, go and warn them so that they might not come here and suffer as I am." So they have not yet died as the rich man has. Ergo, both.

Their fate, unlike Lazarus will not be pleasant and comforting, but instead be one of sorrow and great suffering. According to Scripture the intermediate state for those who die in unbelief is described as a place of silence and darkness where they know nothing.
Ahhhh, Ecclesiastes 9:5. Well, read Ecclesiastes 9:6, RWB. The writer there goes on to say, "they have no more share in all that is done under the sun." In this sense, they know nothing. But they are, as depicted by Jesus in Luke 16, very aware of what they could have had, what they were offered but chose not to partake of, and are in anguish because of it, so much so that they want to get the message to others to avoid the same fate they have come into. Now, this is a bit off the subject, but I do believe both the intermediate state and the second death for unbelievers to be a place of silence and darkness ~ no fellowship with anyone (much less Jesus), and devoid of light (and of course the One Who is Light). Frightening, to say the least. Jesus describes it as "outer darkness," and a place of "weeping and gnashing of teeth." Frightening indeed.

But those who physically die, spiritually alive through His Spirit does not belong to "the dead".
Yes, agree... I never said that... :)

So, after their body dies, they as living (spirit) souls depart from the body of death and ascend to heaven spiritually alive to wait for the completion of the Kingdom of God. Then these living (spirit) souls will return with Christ to be reunited with resurrected immortal & incorruptible bodies fit for life with Christ on the new earth.
Believers, yes. Unbelievers not so much; see above. But they will be resurrected along with believers and be reunited with their physical bodies, but their ultimate fate and destination will be... different. :) Opposite. Again, I would point out John 5;28-29.

Those who died in unbelief will also be physically resurrected when Christ returns.
Right. To the resurrection of judgment. I've said this a couple of times now. You agree. Great!

That's when they, as "the DEAD" shall be called to stand before the great white throne judgment to be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life.
Well, all will be judged according to what they have done. Paul is very clear on that point in Romans 2:6,7, where he writes, "He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury." We see this in Revelation 20:11-15, but also in Matthew 7:21-13 and 25:31-46. All will be present at the final Judgment, and all will be judged. Only believers, however, will have an Advocate. :)

All of the dead will then be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death. Scripture depicts this lake as one of eternal suffering, as well as final/complete death.
Sure. But the second death is not annihilation. Annihilationism is a heresy.

I don't ordinarily engage in discussions regarding the eternal state for those who die in unbelief. It is to difficult for some to contemplate. Because the Bible has verses that seem to indicate eternal torment, but also the second death. Whether the second death is everlasting punishment or complete death, I do not know! I only know the final judgment that awaits those who die in unbelief will be unending and irreversible.
Understand. I mean, RWB, I would agree with the concepts of everlasting punishment and complete death, but I think I understand what you mean by "complete death," that it is analogous with annihilation and results in non-existence, and I would disagree, and emphatically so, with that.

How can it be my assumption if I cannot find anywhere in Scripture reference to a second resurrection?
But you can count to two, and you did acknowledge that the first resurrection is spiritual in nature, and the second of the two is physical, did you not? And I think you have to ask yourself why, in Resurrection 20, if there are not two resurrections, did John specifically describe the first resurrection as, well, the first resurrection? Why didn't he just say, "This is the resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the resurrection!"? But no, he specifically said in both verse 5 and 6, "This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection!" There is, implicitly, but unmistakably, a second resurrection (at least a second, and maybe more, but we know only a second...). And this first-and-second thing ~ really first and final ~ is prevalent regarding a number of things throughout Scripture, most notably the first and second Adam (Adam and Jesus).

I find only the first resurrection, which is the resurrection of Christ we must have part in before we physically die to overcome the second death. Scripture also speaks of the resurrection of ALL the bodies in the grave that shall be in an hour coming when the last trump sounds. Nowhere do I read of a "second" resurrection! Which makes sense, because if Scripture tells of a second resurrection those who speak of two physical resurrections one thousand years apart would be right. But they are not right because Scripture nowhere says there shall be a second physical resurrection.
I don't know why you keep hitting on this thing about two physical resurrections. We agree that there are not two physical resurrections. Why you feel like you have to keep making that point to me I have no idea. I have never suggested such.

It appears you agree that the only resurrections Scripture shows us is the first resurrection that is spiritual life from spiritual death, and in an hour coming a physical resurrection of ALL physical bodies from the graves.
Of course I do. My goodness. I'm glad you are finally acknowledging that. I never believed or propagated otherwise, RWB.

If Scripture called the physical resurrection the "second resurrection" how can we argue against the doctrine that teaches two separate physical resurrections separated by some amount of time?
Oh my. See above.

Continued...

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we define doctrine, we need to be careful to not introduce confusion as well.
People get confused about a lot of things, RWB. Just because people are confused doesn't necessarily mean anyone actually caused it.

That's why in Amil we speak of the first resurrection as the resurrection of Christ that we must have part in during our lifetimes. This resurrection belongs to Christ, it is His that every believer shares in.
And we share in it because in that salvific the moment, we are resurrected in spirit ~ raised up with Christ and seated with God in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. Yes, this is the first resurrection, as I have said several times now. But there's nothing wrong with talking about the second ~ the physical and general ~ resurrection... :) ...which, depending on the person, is either to eternal life or to judgment.

And then we show the verses from John & 1Cor 15 that prove there will be only ONE bodily resurrection in an hour coming when the last trump sounds when ALL (good and bad) will be physically resurrected to either life or damnation.
Absolutely. I've said this many times...

Agree.

Grace and peace to you.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1 - Of course JESUS placed Noah BEFORE the Flood = 'no brainer' here

#2 - i NEVER placed Noah after the Flood

#3 - Great Tribulation was on earth for at least 100 Years as Noah was preparing for JUDGEMENT = Hebrews 11:7 , 2 Peter 2:4

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;

You have been Divinely Warned = forsake the lie of 'pre-trib' and prepare as Noah did = believe God's words
Yep
You reframed it.
JESUS placed his COMING as "before the flood"
He even DESCRIBED the setting.
But that i am sure you will continue to reframe as it destroys all but pretrib setting.
I love how Gods word has that awesome harmony.
Every pretrib rapture verse has normal life in its setting.

Reactions: marks

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep
You reframed it.
JESUS placed his COMING as "before the flood"
He even DESCRIBED the setting.
But that i am sure you will continue to reframe as it destroys all but pretrib setting.
I love how Gods word has that awesome harmony.
Every pretrib rapture verse has normal life in its setting.
You have never posted a pre-trib rapture verse.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just don't accept the fact they were cut off and ended up in sheol. So your second Israel is cooling off in sheol.

It is like saying there are 2 churches. One is in Christ, the other cut off and also fraternizing with that 2nd Israel in sheol.

You can count those in sheol if you like. Perhaps God will give them a second chance at the GWT? Will they give God a second chance though is the question.
no
It is lime saying the GT is Jacobs trouble and they are gathered as Jews in rev 14.
Solid bible fact

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS placed his COMING as "before the flood" He even DESCRIBED the setting.
LOL! He did no such thing. He said the suddenness and unexpectedness of His return would be as the suddenness and unexpectedness of the coming of the flood in Noah's day:

"For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man" (Matthew 24:37-39)​

Quite obviously, it's not about the flood itself or the timing of the return in relation to it, but about it's manner, it's suddenness and unexpectedness. And he sums it up by saying:

"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect" (Matthew 24:44)​

Incredible. Wow.

Grace and peace to you.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of believers. Unbelievers' spirits go... somewhere else, as I said. Jesus told the thief crucified on His right that he (the thief) would be with Him that day in paradise, and said nothing to the thief on His left. Two things I think we can take from that are 1.) that the thief on His left was not in paradise with Jesus (that day or any other since), and 2.) his spirit was went... somewhere else, but not with the Lord. As you know, RWB... or at least I hope you do... God is present everywhere. So what I would say, then, is, yes, all spirits return to God, but not all go to be with the Lord, when they physically die. You may see that as contradictory, but it's not.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Yes, on the very day he died the thief according to grace through faith went to heaven a living (spirit) soul, just as the spirit of Christ went also via spirit to the Father in heaven.

Luke 23:46 (KJV) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

The body of all who die returns to dust from which it came, and the spirit returns to God either alive or without life. Which is why the physically dead are said to be in a place of silence and darkness when they die. While it is true that the spirits in every human return to God, only those who are of faith in Christ before death return to Him spiritually alive. This is why John is given to understand that physical death for faithful saints is simply transition from this earth to heaven belonging to a "spiritual body".

Well, all will be judged according to what they have done. Paul is very clear on that point in Romans 2:6,7, where he writes, "He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury." We see this in Revelation 20:11-15, but also in Matthew 7:21-13 and 25:31-46. All will be present at the final Judgment, and all will be judged. Only believers, however, will have an Advocate. :)

Only the DEAD are judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. Those who are alive in Christ are judged in life. They will not be judged with the DEAD because they are resurrected in immortal & incorruptible bodies. Though we shall ALL stand before God saints shall not be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. Only those of natural mortal bodies shall be judged at the GWT, and only they shall be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death.

The faithful are judged in life according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If in life we are found to be faithful saints by believing the Gospel, we have passed from death to life. But those who hear and remain in unbelief "the DEAD" must give account before God for rejecting Christ. It is in life that we do well by seeking glory and honor and immortality; eternal life through Christ, who is the "first resurrection".

Romans 2:16 (KJV) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Yes, I agree we shall all be called to stand before God, but the faithful immortal & incorruptible saints will not be there for judgment but to receive our reward. Only "the dead" shall be judged, and since their names will not be found in the book of life, they will be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death.

Matthew 25:33-34 (KJV) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

But you can count to two, and you did acknowledge that the first resurrection is spiritual in nature, and the second of the two is physical, did you not? And I think you have to ask yourself why, in Resurrection 20, if there are not two resurrections, did John specifically describe the first resurrection as, well, the first resurrection? Why didn't he just say, "This is the resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the resurrection!"? But no, he specifically said in both verse 5 and 6, "This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection!" There is, implicitly, but unmistakably, a second resurrection (at least a second, and maybe more, but we know only a second...). And this first-and-second thing ~ really first and final ~ is prevalent regarding a number of things throughout Scripture, most notably the first and second Adam (Adam and Jesus).

The best way to explain the first resurrection I believe is to understand that it is referring to the resurrection of Christ, because it is by having part in His resurrected life during this time symbolized a thousand years that we overcome the second death. The first resurrection is not returning physical life to saints. To have part in the first resurrection through Christ we must be born again. That is new birth for our natural spirit through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us. In this we are not resurrected to physical life, but be spiritually quickened or made spiritually alive. Before being made alive (quickened) by His Spirit in us we were spiritually dead in trespasses and sins, and without hope of obtaining eternal life through Christ.

To be 'quickened' is not the same as being resurrected. To be quickened through His Spirit denotes being in union with Christ during our life. It is life of our spirit, not our flesh. Where our spirit may then know Christ and understand that He has forgiven our sins.

Colossians 2:10-13 (KJV) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

The first resurrection being spiritual and not physical resurrection from physical death is how we are made spiritually alive eternally, that our spirit shall NEVER die. The first resurrection has nothing to do with our physical resurrection that shall be in an hour coming when the last trump sounds. That's why we should not say there will be a second resurrection. The first resurrection is specifically the resurrection of Christ alone, and the physical resurrection that shall come is the only physical resurrection ALL who have physically died shall have. One spiritual resurrection through Christ, who is the first resurrection, and one physical/bodily resurrection for all who have died. Not a first resurrection followed by a second resurrection, but the resurrection of Christ, then the resurrection of the physically dead (both good and bad).

It makes no sense to argue against two physical resurrections separated by one thousand years when we also insist there shall be two resurrections. It doesn't matter that we understand the first resurrection is not physical but spiritual, and there will be only one physical resurrection in an hour coming. It still causes confusion and gives credibility to the argument of two separate physical resurrections one for saints and the other for the rest. Why continue to cause confusion when all we need do is stop calling it a second resurrection that automatically implies physical resurrections? After all most understand resurrection as being made physically alive from physical death!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there's nothing wrong with talking about the second ~ the physical and general ~ resurrection... :) ...which, depending on the person, is either to eternal life or to judgment.

You just don't seem to be getting it! There will not be a "second" physical and general resurrection! That implies there is more than one physical resurrection. There will only be a first or ONE physical and general resurrection for ALL who have physically died. It will not be a second, but the one and only physical resurrection from the dead.

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, on the very day he died the thief according to grace through faith went to heaven a living (spirit) soul, just as the spirit of Christ went also via spirit to the Father in heaven.
Yes, the thief on Jesus's right. But the thief on Jesus's left was not annihilated; his spirit went... somewhere else, not with Christ. But as I said, God ~ the Father ~ is omnipresent... present everywhere. I still am not sure whether you believe in annihilationism, because you have not said either way. I hope not, but it seems very possible that you do, based on what you have said.

While it is true that the spirits in every human return to God, only those who are of faith in Christ before death return to Him spiritually alive.
And are thus in the presence of Christ Himself. Sure.

This is why John is given to understand that physical death for faithful saints is simply transition from this earth to heaven belonging to a "spiritual body".
Ah, the old physical body vs. spiritual body dichotomy. Ugh. :)

Only the DEAD are judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. Those who are alive in Christ are judged in life. They will not be judged with the DEAD because they are resurrected in immortal & incorruptible bodies. Though we shall ALL stand before God saints shall not be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. Only those of natural mortal bodies shall be judged at the GWT, and only they shall be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death.
Disagree. Not entirely, but at least to a large degree. Again, Paul, in Romans 2, says, "He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury." And again, John quotes Jesus as saying, "an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment." Now, if you were to tweak what you say just a tiny ~ but significant ~ bit, namely, by changing "they will not be judged with the dead" to "they will not be judged as the dead are judged," then I would agree. Discussions regarding Revelation 20 are just about always very difficult, but shouldn't be ~ :) ~ but I guess that's easy for either one of us to say, right, RWB? :) Maybe the easier place to see what the final Judgment will look like is Matthew 25:31-46, where we see that the righteous are judged, and then the unrighteous. And Revelation 20 in no way contradicts what Jesus said in Matthew 25:31-46. All are judged. For those in Christ (Who is the author and finisher/perfecter of our faith), for those previously made alive by the Holy Spirit and whom God has been doing His good work in since the time of their conversion to Christ, whom the Spirit has born His fruit through during their lives on earth, those whose lives have been hidden in Christ since that time, the outcome is eternal life... they are resurrected to eternal life. But the others... yes, they are still dead in their sin, not reborn of the Spirit, not in Christ, and therefore the outcome of the final Judgment for them is the second death, they are resurrected to judgment, while for those
The faithful are judged in life according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
They are justified in their sin and imputed the righteousness of Christ. This is a once-and-for-all declaration of God, based solely on His mercy. And it's a guarantee... this is what faith is, RWB, the assurance (given by God the Father) of things hoped for, the conviction (God the Holy Spirit is the one Who convicts) of things unseen (Hebrews 11:1). And part of that guarantee is that they will ~ will ~ stand with the congregation of the righteous in the judgment ~ "...the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish" (Psalm 1).

Yes, I agree we shall all be called to stand before God...
Good...

...but the faithful immortal & incorruptible saints will not be there for judgment but to receive our reward. Only "the dead" shall be judged, and since their names will not be found in the book of life, they will be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death.
Disagree... Again, if you were to offer a slight tweak to what you say here, namely, instead of saying "only 'the dead' shall be judged" to say "only the dead will enter into eternal punishment rather than eternal life," as Jesus says in Matthew 25:46, then I would agree. And again, nothing in Revelation 20:11-15 contradicts what Jesus said there (or anywhere else).

Matthew 25:33-34 (KJV) And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Well, quote the whole passage, RWB. Here you go:

"When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. Before Him will be gathered all the nations, and He will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And He will place the sheep on His right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed Me, I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me, I was in prison and you came to Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? And when did we see You a stranger and welcome You, or naked and clothe You? And when did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me.’"

“Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave Me no food, I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome Me, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Really, RWB, you have to say both groups are judged, or you have to say neither is, which would be ridiculous. Because the same things are said of both, except the first group in a favorable manner, and the other unfavorable.

This is a good breaking point on this; the rest is a different subject, really. Continued below.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best way to explain the first resurrection I believe is to understand that it is referring to the resurrection of Christ...
:) Disagree... We are brought from death to life and raised, as Paul says in Ephesians 2. This is a resurrection. Spiritual, of course, but a resurrection none the less.

The first resurrection is not returning physical life to saints.
Do you think I have ever said or insinuated this, RWB? Because I have not, and I have been emphatic about that in several posts now, and very explicitly. Are you trying to foist that on me? I hope not.

To have part in the first resurrection through Christ we must be born again. That is new birth for our natural spirit through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us.
And spiritually, we are raised from death to life, as Paul says in Ephesians 2. This is our spiritual ~ not physical ~ resurrection.

In this we are not resurrected to physical life, but be spiritually quickened or made spiritually alive.
Right, which is our spiritual ~ not physical; that will come at the end of the present age, when Jesus returns ~ resurrection.

Before being made alive (quickened) by His Spirit in us we were spiritually dead in trespasses and sins, and without hope of obtaining eternal life through Christ.
Sure. See above. No need to keep repeating myself. :) I would tell you that there's no need for you to keep repeating yourself, either, but hey, far be it from me to tell you what to do... :)

To be 'quickened' is not the same as being resurrected.
To be brought from death to life is to be 'quickened.' And in this, we are ~ spiritually ~ raised with Christ and seated with Him in the heavenly places, which is our spiritual resurrection, the first resurrection.

The first resurrection has nothing to do with our physical resurrection that shall be in an hour coming when the last trump sounds.
Well, I agree, except to say the first doesn't "have nothing to do" with the second, but ensures the outcome of the physical resurrection for believers, eternal life.

That's why we should not say there will be a second resurrection.
LOL! I say that's one of the best reasons to acknowledge that there will be a second resurrection... :) The first resurrection is not the end, and it is not in full (in spirit only, although no mere thing), but ensures that there will be no end, and the second will be in full (bodily).

The first resurrection is specifically the resurrection of Christ alone...
Disagree. Well, the first physical resurrection, and ours will be ~ will be, at the end of the age ~ like His. "...we shall certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His..." (Romans 6:5)

It makes no sense to argue against two physical resurrections separated by one thousand years when we also insist there shall be two resurrections.
We. Don't. Argue. That. There. Are. Two. Physical. Resurrections. :) We don't, RWB. But there I go repeating myself again... :)

After all most understand resurrection as being made physically alive from physical death!
Right, well, I mean, all things Christian are foolish to those who are perishing. :) I mean, it's not funny at all, but I'm smiling to you because all these things are spiritually discerned, and if one is not born again, he or she is always going to regard it as foolishness, even a resurrection of any kind.

You just don't seem to be getting it!
LOL! I don't "get" why you keep repeating the same stuff that doesn't apply to me, that's quite for sure. :) Yeah, that's quite the head-scratcher. :)

There will not be a "second" physical and general resurrection!
I agree, there will not be two physical/general resurrections. :) Let's see, I've said that one, two, three... well, I've lost count now... :) Nothing ~ explicit or implicit ~ I have said has implied such.

That implies there is more than one physical resurrection.
It does not. I'll say it again. Read it very closely this time. I'll help:

There's nothing wrong with talking about the second ~ THE physical and general ~ resurrection... :) ...which, depending on the person, is either to eternal life or to judgment.

There will only be a first or ONE physical and general resurrection for ALL who have physically died.
Um, yes, I agree, RWB... My goodness.

It will not be a second, but the one and only physical resurrection from the dead.
Right, but it is THE second resurrection. Wow.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the thief on Jesus's right. But the thief on Jesus's left was not annihilated; his spirit went... somewhere else, not with Christ. But as I said, God ~ the Father ~ is omnipresent... present everywhere. I still am not sure whether you believe in annihilationism, because you have not said either way. I hope not, but it seems very possible that you do, based on what you have said.

Truth is I don't know because Scripture is not absolutely definitive about what happens to the one who dies in unbelief???? I won't give a definitive answer for something I do not know. As I've said Scripture seems to say they will be tormented forever and ever, but it also says the lake of fire is the second death. So which is it? Eternal torment, or death? I truly do not know, and do not wish to guess.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People get confused about a lot of things, RWB. Just because people are confused doesn't necessarily mean anyone actually caused it.

And we share in it because in that salvific the moment, we are resurrected in spirit ~ raised up with Christ and seated with God in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. Yes, this is the first resurrection, as I have said several times now. But there's nothing wrong with talking about the second ~ the physical and general ~ resurrection... :) ...which, depending on the person, is either to eternal life or to judgment.

Absolutely. I've said this many times...

Agree.

Grace and peace to you.
Well it seems we find a lot of confusion when it comes to Christians, the reason, they dont read their Bibles. They rather listen to others tell them what they should believe it says rather than take the time to read it themselves. Its at the heart of the confusion we see..

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! Which was in the world, weathering its way through the flood, somewhere in what we know today as the Middle East. :) Wow...

Actually, at some point, they were probably floating in/under the water. But yes, they were in the world... also. :) Goodness gracious.

There's no symbolism here. It is what it is... or, was what it was.
Are we still at the time of the Flood or how the Ark is a type of Christ?

So Christ cannot be on the earth during the GT, but the ark as a type of Christ has to be literally on the earth instead of protection from the judgment of the Flood?

The whole point is that the church is not in the ark as a type. The church was removed prior to Noah entering the ark. Noah is a type of those 144k who went through the baptism of fire with Jesus "on the ark."

The symbolism is how Jesus typified the ark and judgment of water to the Second Coming and judgment by fire.

So people will live through this baptism by fire and some will be cast alive, during this time, into the LOF. But there is no one coming out of their graves, because this is the time that people are still dying. The only resurrection is after Armageddon, and those beheaded are resurrected to live physically on the earth. Still not some symbolic reference to the OT period. The first resurrection is not spiritual. It is physical after physical death.

And there is a difference between walking though the fire without Christ and walking through the fire with Christ. Just like the ark was lifted up above the destruction, the sheep and wheat will be saved out of this destruction and time of Judgment.

The point was, some here claim living in sin was the tribulation and the Flood was the judgment. But the Flood is both the tribulation and judgment as a result of living in sin. Jesus is the ark, and Jesus is on the earth during the tribulation, so the Second Coming is pre-tribulation, and the 144k walk through the tribulation in Christ as their ark and seal of protection. But they are not the church, because the church was not Noah and his 7. The church was removed at the Second Coming, and waiting for the final harvest to be over, as explained in the 5th Seal. The firstfruits of the Millennial Kingdom go through the fire with Christ and the sheep and wheat are removed while the goats and tares are cast into the LOF. But this is not the dead standing in judgment. This is still how 8 billion souls are harvested from the earth.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They didn't stop being Israel. They were "of Israel" i.e. unbelieving Israel, as contrasted to "all Israel", i.e. believing Israel.

Two Israels.

Romans 9
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

1. Of Israel:
Not all Israel
The children of the flesh
Not the children of God
Not the children of the promise
Not counted for the seed

2. All Israel:
Not of Israel
Not the children of the flesh
The children of God
The children of the promise
Counted for the seed

Only one of these two Israels shall be saved.

Romans 11

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Only the faithful obedient spiritual "all Israel", comprised of the believing elect beloved remnant from Israel (Romans 9:27; Romans 11:1-5,26,28), and believers from among the Gentiles (Romans 11:11), shall be saved.
You used the word "not" twice. Only one Israel. Those cut off were no longer Israel. You said they were not Israel, BUT.....

Paul said:

"For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:"

Your version reads:

"For they are not all Israel, which are not all of Israel:"

Last time I checked not being something is literally not being something. Yes they were of Israel. Now they are not Israel. Some remained. Some grafted back in, and now Israel again.

Do you not claim: there is no longer a physical Israel anyway? You claim only spiritual DNA exists.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no
It is like saying the GT is Jacobs trouble and they are gathered as Jews in rev 14.
Solid bible fact
That would be a yes, it is like saying.

If you agree with the poster, he is talking about the entire church age. There are 2 Israels.

Israel is reborn in a day and all alive will be grafted back in. The goats will not be saved nor grafted back in. Only a remnant of Israel will be saved out of Jacob's trouble. There is no Israel currently. Israel are the natural branches in Christ. But currently only grafted branches exist. The poster denies the coming Millennial Kingdom, so that point is lost to them. They don't even need the symbolism as the NHNE are a game changer anyways, and nothing in this reality applies in the next reality.

We are in Christ, not in Israel.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul said:

Your version reads:

"For they are not all Israel, which are not all of Israel:"
My version reads:

Same as Paul.

Clean your spectacles.

And learn how to copy/paste.

It's tough when you can neither see straight nor think straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Scripture all spirits return to God who gave them when our body dies. Only those indwelt with the life-giving Spirit return to God alive. The spirits of those who die in unbelief also returns to God who gave it, but without the life-giving Spirit. I believe that's why they are depicted as "the dead" rather then living souls as John understands are alive in heaven after physical death, i.e. spirit souls.

I don't believe the parable of Lazarus and the rich man are depictions of an intermediate state but is a depiction of the fate that awaits those who die in unbelief. Their fate, unlike Lazarus will not be pleasant and comforting, but instead be one of sorrow and great suffering. According to Scripture the intermediate state for those who die in unbelief is described as a place of silence and darkness where they know nothing.

But those who physically die, spiritually alive through His Spirit does not belong to "the dead". So, after their body dies, they as living (spirit) souls depart from the body of death and ascend to heaven spiritually alive to wait for the completion of the Kingdom of God. Then these living (spirit) souls will return with Christ to be reunited with resurrected immortal & incorruptible bodies fit for life with Christ on the new earth.

Those who died in unbelief will also be physically resurrected when Christ returns. That's when they, as "the DEAD" shall be called to stand before the great white throne judgment to be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life. All of the dead will then be cast into the lake of fire that is the second death. Scripture depicts this lake as one of eternal suffering, as well as final/complete death.

Yes, having part in the first resurrection while physically alive does assure we shall not experience the second death. The lake of fire, that is the second death, is for "the DEAD" not those who are alive in Christ through His Spirit in us. When we have His Spirit our spirit is alive eternally. Even though our body dies, the spirit indwelt with the Spirit from Christ lives on in heaven after physical death.

Revelation 20:6 (KJV) Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

How can it be my assumption if I cannot find anywhere in Scripture reference to a second resurrection? I find only the first resurrection, which is the resurrection of Christ we must have part in before we physically die to overcome the second death. Scripture also speaks of the resurrection of ALL the bodies in the grave that shall be in an hour coming when the last trump sounds. Nowhere do I read of a "second" resurrection! Which makes sense, because if Scripture tells of a second resurrection those who speak of two physical resurrections one thousand years apart would be right. But they are not right because Scripture nowhere says there shall be a second physical resurrection.

It appears you agree that the only resurrections Scripture shows us is the first resurrection that is spiritual life from spiritual death, and in an hour coming a physical resurrection of ALL physical bodies from the graves. If Scripture called the physical resurrection the "second resurrection" how can we argue against the doctrine that teaches two separate physical resurrections separated by some amount of time? As you've said, "that's incorrect." When we define doctrine, we need to be careful to not introduce confusion as well. That's why in Amil we speak of the first resurrection as the resurrection of Christ that we must have part in during our lifetimes. This resurrection belongs to Christ, it is His that every believer shares in. And then we show the verses from John & 1Cor 15 that prove there will be only ONE bodily resurrection in an hour coming when the last trump sounds when ALL (good and bad) will be physically resurrected to either life or damnation.

Grace & Peace to you as well!
So you dont believe in what the Bible lays out...

Revelation 2:11
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.