The answer of hell and its origins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are funny....think I am going to play along?
Got one for you. What is the figurative in this....

Did you here the one about when there was a Jehovah’s Witness and a Calvinist and a OSAS in a bar bragging about the last young girl they molested. They were drinking and laughing and sharing pictures of the little girl they murdered.

A guy sitting at the bar asked if they were not scared of getting caught?

They all laughed! Not a chance! We are in a democrat state!

The guy asked, Not even by God?

Again they laughed out load!

One of them said, I am a Jehovah’s witness, there is no Hell? I can do anything I want in this life….no punishment for me except oblivion!

The next guy said, I am Calvinist, God made me do it….so I am Scott free.

The last guys said, I got both these guys beat I am OSAS and I can do anything I want. I believe in Jesus so I am going straight to Heaven and see if there are any young ones up there.

The guy at the end of the bar bowed his head and said, So I guess it is up to me. And he pulled out a .45 and shot all of them!
Brilliant! lol
That is one of the best posts I have seen anywhere!

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Did you hear the one about when there was a Jehovah’s Witness and a Calvinist and a OSAS in a bar bragging about the last young girl they molested. They were drinking and laughing and sharing pictures of the little girl they murdered.

One of them said, I am a Jehovah’s witness, there is no Hell? I can do anything I want in this life….no punishment for me except oblivion!

The last guys said, I got both these guys beat I am OSAS and I can do anything I want. I believe in Jesus so I am going straight to Heaven and see if there are any young ones up there.

The guy at the end of the bar bowed his head and said, So I guess it is up to me. And he pulled out a .45 and shot all of them!

Luke 2:32

What is the figure being used here...not a tough question!

Give it a go

F2F

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 2:32

What is the figure being used here...not a tough question!

Give it a go

F2F

Since you probably have a twisted interpretation of the scriptures we are not going to agree.

This verse occurs during Christ's circumcision, the Priest is talking about the messianic prophecies. The concept of light reoccurs frequently during Christ's ministry.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since you probably have a twisted interpretation of the scriptures we are not going to agree.

This verse occurs during Christ's circumcision, the Priest is talking about the messianic prophecies. The concept of light reoccurs frequently during Christ's ministry.

Okay so that wasn't that hard was it?

Light is being used as a figure to represent Christ...not it's not speaking of natural light - that much is obvious.

Now try Matthew 25:41

What does fire represent?

If light represents the Word made Flesh in man Christ Jesus what is fire?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell will be filled with those who deny "the everlasting fire" that Jesus taught. Do JW's deny the everlasting fire?

Reactions: The Learner

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so that wasn't that hard was it?

Light is being used as a figure to represent Christ...not it's not speaking of natural light - that much is obvious.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14 Part of the Sermon on the Mt.

Now try Matthew 25:41

What does fire represent?

If light represents the Word made Flesh in man Christ Jesus what is fire?

I have already given you all the scriptures pertaining to hell fire and hell fire being a burning and painful eternal punishment...and in reference to eternal punishment they all mean fire.....now did they use fire because it was the worst most painful thing that peopl would understand or is hell, what you are enduring for eternity much worse and more painful than fire?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14 Part of the Sermon on the Mt.

I have already given you all the scriptures pertaining to hell fire and hell fire being a burning and painful eternal punishment...and in reference to eternal punishment they all mean fire.....now did they use fire because it was the worst most painful thing that peopl would understand or is hell, what you are enduring for eternity much worse and more painful than fire?

Okay so we established that you correctly identified the figure of light as being Jesus Christ - using the symbol of natural light to demonstrate Christ is well known to all. The issue here is your unwillingness to look at the symbol of fire.

Can you see from my perspective your inconsistency in this approach?

You force non biblical notions upon the Word fire in Matthew 25:41 but correctly identify the true meaning of light in Luke 2:32.

Leave it with you to work out!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The question leveled to all Christians is this -

Light in the context of Luke 2:32 = Christ
Fire in the context of Matthew 25:41 = ????

Not difficult if you think about it!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so we established that you correctly identified the figure of light as being Jesus Christ - using the symbol of natural light to demonstrate Christ is well known to all. The issue here is your unwillingness to look at the symbol of fire.

You force non biblical notions upon the Word fire in Matthew 25:41 but correctly identify the true meaning of light in Luke 2:32.

Translation: I believe Kingdom Hall not the NWT.

God made even Kingdom Hall admit that Jesus is God and Hell fire is "everlasting"!

Last edited:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all....I say 30,000 but the count is over 50,000 worldwide. And there are not hundreds of Catholic denominations that report to the Pope. So you are wrong on both counts. LOL
I agree there are not hundreds of Catholic demoninations. That demonstrates how off the the source is. I already posted links to Catholic Apologetists who refute the claim.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Non-biblical notions? You are so funny!
The description fire is there and the description of pain is there, there is even a parable about it where the person is definitely aware of where he is at and want others warned about.
This is a waste of my time.....so if you do any other posts like this I will only respond "You are so funny!"

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree there are not hundreds of Catholic demoninations. That demonstrates how off the the source is. I already posted links to Catholic Apologetists who refute the claim.

Alright get to the point...what is your point?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all....I say 30,000 but the count is over 50,000 worldwide. And there are not hundreds of Catholic denominations that report to the Pope. So you are wrong on both counts. LOL
This is from emails with one of the Authors of the source.
"
Gina Zurlo <[email protected]>
Wed, May 4, 8:22 AM
to me

Social science (of religion specifically) looks into social, cultural, economic, political, and other factors that impact religious belief, behavior, and belonging – factors not necessarily related to theology. Since I am a quantitative researcher of religion, I investigate what factors cause religion to grow or decline, such as birth rates, migration, and why people chose to leave or join a religion. Religious beliefs, behaviors, and belonging are influenced by a wide variety of social spheres, and it's those spheres that I'm most interested in investigating, to see how they impact religious change.

Thank you,
Gina

--
Gina A. Zurlo, Ph.D.
Co-Director
Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
130 Essex St. #228
South Hamilton, MA 01982
978-468-2750
globalchristianity.org
Named one of the BBC's 100 women of 2019
"

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HOW DO YOU DEFINE A "DENOMINATION"?
The most detailed level of our taxonomy of global Christianity is Christian denominations, defined as an organized Christian church, tradition, religious group, community of people, aggregate of worship centre, usually within a specific country, whose component congregations and members are called by the same name in different areas, regarding themselves as an autonomous Christian church distinct from other churches and traditions. Denominations are defined and measured at the country level, creating a large number of separate denominations within Christian families and Christian traditions. For example, the presence of the Catholic Church in the world’s 234 countries results in 234 Catholic “denominations”, though these can be further subdivided by rite (e.g., Byzantine or Latin). The typical way for Christians to count themselves is at the local congregational level and then aggregate these totals at the city, province, state, regional and finally, national levels.
Individual congregations are not counted as “denominations.” We do make note of the fact that many independent congregations are not a part of any denomination. If those churches were to form an independent network with a name, we would consider them a denomination. Using this method, we report 45,000 Christian denominations in the world in 2019.

Quick Facts About Global Christianity - Center for the Study of Global Christianity

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will take a deeper study than that to figure out why the denominations split from each other. There is usually a reason, not that there are not duplications with different names

Friend, Brother you are working from a Theoloigal Framework. They are working form a Social Studies Framework, thus they claim there are 234 Catholic Demoninations. From a Theology mindset we know there is only one Catholc Demonination.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did you hear the one about when there was a Jehovah’s Witness and a Calvinist and a OSAS in a bar bragging about the last young girl they molested. They were drinking and laughing and sharing pictures of the little girl they murdered.

Don't leave out Catholic Priest and Muslims.

A Nun, Rabbi, Baptist Minister, Jewish Priest walked into a Bar. The Bartender said, "Am I in the middle of a Joke?"

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is from emails with one of the Authors of the source.
"
Gina Zurlo <[email protected]>
Wed, May 4, 8:22 AM
to me

Social science (of religion specifically) looks into social, cultural, economic, political, and other factors that impact religious belief, behavior, and belonging – factors not necessarily related to theology. Since I am a quantitative researcher of religion, I investigate what factors cause religion to grow or decline, such as birth rates, migration, and why people chose to leave or join a religion. Religious beliefs, behaviors, and belonging are influenced by a wide variety of social spheres, and it's those spheres that I'm most interested in investigating, to see how they impact religious change.

Thank you,
Gina

--
Gina A. Zurlo, Ph.D.
Co-Director
Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
130 Essex St. #228
South Hamilton, MA 01982
978-468-2750
globalchristianity.org
Named one of the BBC's 100 women of 2019
"

I asked you what your point was....not your sources.
I am going to assume LOL that you do not believe what I say about there being over 30,000 thousand Protestant denomination.

The research has already been done on this by universities and to do it right it is very time consuming. You get a list of all the Protestant denominations in the world. Then you have to go through the history of each denomination to see if there are duplicates with different names, some are different names but have the same beliefs just regional. Then you see in their history if they fractured from another denomination and why. Some are new denominations. You can get short lists and start with them. But documenting the history of each of them will take a lot of time.

Here is a short list
Alphabetical List of Denominations | Seminary Guide | Logos Bible Software

Here is a list that is a little longer
List of Christian denominations by number of members Facts for Kids

Here is another long list
List of Christian denominations by number of members - Wikipedia

Another list of Protestant denominations
Condensed List of 40,000+ Protestant Denominations | Christian (Genesis) Amino

The counts very but the overall point is that there are a lot. You maybe able to prove that there are not 30,000 distinct denomination, LOL but by the time you do that you have proven my point.....there are a lot.