The Arrogance of Women Who Wear Earrings.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In truth.... I must confess... I don't OWN any earrings. LOL

But this subject to me is one of legalism... and is usually tied in with the good old tattoo debate...
Yep, you got that right, all tied in. How about what's in our hearts!! What a beautiful thought! :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But this subject to me is one of legalism... and is usually tied in with the good old tattoo debate...
Neither does my wife, but this needs to be a matter of the heart rather than the legalistic viewpoint of any man or woman. Some women may be arrogant, but so also are some men.

We all, men and women, need God in order to walk in His Way.

Reactions: Mayflower and Ziggy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Neither does my wife, but this needs to be a matter of the heart rather than the legalistic viewpoint of any man or woman.
I got my ears pierced when I was 7 years old... my mother took me to the jewellers ( back then that seemed to be the place to go )...
When I was pregnant with my daughter ( 30 years ago )... I got a second hole above the original because I like the look of studs over hoops.

I have not worn earrings for years... and never had a good expensive pair... so... I threw out a bunch of tarnished ones a few years ago... and just never bothered to replace them. I also found in the latter years... that the junk jewellery would hurt my ears... I guess I never cared enough to get a pair of GOLD earrings.

Jewellery was never my thing. Anyways... this was a strange topic to return to the forums to. I never cease to be surprised at the posts I find.

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever peeled a tomato, I know I've never peeled a grape.

I used to have pierced ears but they been closed up for years. I have a tattoo I got when I was in my 20's.
It's not readily available for public viewing. Unless I wear a lowcut shirt.
Funny, even when I wasn't aware of modesty, I still found a way to be modest lol.
Most of my life I worked around machinery. Jewelry was not advisable.
I used to wear my hair in a long ponytail. I was using a spindle drill one day and my tail got caught in it and ripped out a good chunk of hair.
If it had been a necklace, I could of been in serious danger.
I never took to make up, it always made me break out.

But I'm not opposed to other people doing what they do.
This whole subject is carnal on the outside.

I think maybe I was here at some point in my understanding of the bible.
At first you begin by seeing what is written on the outside, or in the letter.
And everything is literal, in the sense that your not ready to get past the carnal knowledge yet.
Milk..
I can imagine Paul's frustration trying to explain spiritual truths to carnally minded men.
But you can only teach someone if they're willing to learn.
I'm no teacher, but I'm pretty confident that I have had my fill of milk and have ventured over to the buffet.

It took me a long time to understand that "bread" in the bible meant more than just what you eat out of the oven.
It had spiritual meaning.. Bread is the Word of God that we eat. We eat it spiritually by letting it roll on our tongues, digest it in our minds,
allowing it to fill us with Truth and Grace.

And there are a lot of people really trying to learn, but they have to get through that carnal barrier.
And only the Lord can open the door to your mind.
Knowing this, I try to have patience because I've been there and done that. And now that I've left that behind, it's hard for me to understand how other people don't see what I see or hear what I hear from a spiritual point of view.

And then there are those who don't want to learn. They like the milk, because they feel justified in being the rod bearer.
I read this, therefore I know what it says.
Ok, you know what it says,
do you know what it means?

I don't know Jared. I don't know if his "intentions" of "saving" people from wearing jewelry is legitimate,
or if he is just here to make people uncomfortable.
I will say this though,
When certain people come in and throw out anything on the table. Whether their assessment is true or false,
it gives me an opportunity to look deeper into something I may not have looked at before.
So while they believe they are able to get you off track, it just puts me further along the track.
Because it opens all kinds of new treasures to dig for.

So while I may disagree with the messenger, the message gets me investigating into truths I may have overlooked before.
It's all about getting to know yourself. And what things need weeding out and what things need to remain.
Like tares and wheat and our lives are the field in which they grow.

just rambling..
lunchtime!
Hugs

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got my ears pierced when I was 7 years old... my mother took me to the jewellers ( back then that seemed to be the place to go )...
When I was pregnant with my daughter ( 30 years ago )... I got a second hole above the original because I like the look of studs over hoops.

I have not worn earrings for years... and never had a good expensive pair... so... I threw out a bunch of tarnished ones a few years ago... and just never bothered to replace them. I also found in the latter years... that the junk jewellery would hurt my ears... I guess I never cared enough to get a pair of GOLD earrings.

Jewellery was never my thing. Anyways... this was a strange topic to return to the forums to. I never cease to be surprised at the posts I find.
My wife wore earrings rarely when we met but her ears had been pierced. When we married she asked me about few things including the jewelry and I answered honestly. From this the earrings and the make up disappeared. The only jewelry she wears today in her wedding ring. She also started wearing some dresses and skirts because of my preferences. Somewhere back then she went to dresses and skirts only out in public. I never pressured her, but she did it initially to please me. When we had marital troubles as most young couples do during those first few years, it was never about things like that. That was many decades ago.

Reactions: Ziggy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My wife wore earrings rarely when we met but her ears had been pierced. When we married she asked me about few things including the jewelry and I answered honestly. From this the earrings and the make up disappeared. The only jewelry she wears today in her wedding ring. She also started wearing some dresses and skirts because of my preferences. Somewhere back then she went to dresses and skirts only out in public. I never pressured her, but she did it initially to please me. When we had marital troubles as most young couples do during those first few years, it was never about things like that. That was many decades ago.
Things have changed... a lot ... I think what you are describing was about Christian MODESTY.... now days... there is no such thing as modesty...
or very little of it.... I kind of like the clothing that the mennonites and hutterites wear.
Since I am a recluse... my clothing is worn for comfort... and NO style... LOL

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever peeled a tomato, I know I've never peeled a grape.
I remember when I was still attending elementary school, my mother did seasonal work at the canneries in California every year. She used to cut tomatos by hand with a paring knife which meant she peeled them and cut them into pieces. She was paid at a piece work rate rather than by the hour so speed was important. She got very good at it but those knives were sharp and dangerous. I remember her coming home more than once with a hand wrapped up because her knife slipped cutting herself instead of the tomato.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Things have changed... a lot ... I think what you are describing was about Christian MODESTY.... now days... there is no such thing as modesty...
or very little of it.... I kind of like the clothing that the mennonites and hutterites wear.
My wife doesn't go out much any more due her complete lack of an immune system. At home she wears what is comfortable and modest enough to entertain company although we don't have many visitors these days. She wear a kind of casual pants [name?] which covers but is comfortable when she knows she is not leaving the apartment. I wear bib overalls most the time.

When we were attending church she dressed up a bit [no make up or jewelry] and I always wore a suit and tie... but her nicer dresses and my suits spend most of their time in the closet these days.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wear sweat pants or shorts depending if it's winter or summer.
When I go shopping I have a decent pair of slacks that have a rubberband waist, and whatever shirt. No buttons, no zippers, just pull overs.
And sneakers. Still holding after 5 years in all kinds of weather. I need new laces though, these are getting fairly thin and ready to break.

Reactions: amadeus

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He removed so many roots from my garden that I had a hard time looking at trees for years.
Epistemology - the study of roots. (spiritual)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But you can be modest and also attractive and still wear earrings.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Esther 2:12 Before a young woman’s turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics. 13 And this is how she would go to the king.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Exactly! - disclaimer: Truman may or may not have been in his right mind when he made this prior statement...if you would like to cast your vote on this matter, see Farouk!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Listen very carefully, here. Try real hard, now.

Women who go to the shops to look at and buy earrings to wear for the enhancement of their attire are not wearing the earrings spoken of in Scripture in honor of the Lord.

Did you read this? Was it simple enough for your heart to receive?
Jared42 You are coming across as so arrogant and legalistic. You really have a problem. God looks on the heart. And by condemning women who choose to wear earrings or bangles etc you are showing yourself to be judgmental and unloving.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jared42 You are coming across as so arrogant and legalistic. You really have a problem. God looks on the heart. And by condemning women who choose to wear earrings or bangles etc you are showing yourself to be judgmental and unloving.
How accurate is that? We know a person to be good if their fruits are good: Galatians 5:22-25

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jared42, do you know any women that wear earrings. Are you in a relationship? I personally don't see any real advantage in telling women not to wear earrings, to me it's a peddy issue. And the passage you used in the OP was regarding costly apparel, not inexpensive items like most jewelry is. Some people wear expensive jewelry, but not people I know mostly.

But with your logic, would you also reject wedding rings that are used as signs of devotion?

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a bottom.
Those that know God's word know that sometimes you have to be humbled in order for the Lord to raise you up.
We been living high and mighty for awhile now.
I'm not talking about the Lord's people.
But we can see the results of sin, while other's are still blind to it.
The only way to wake them up is to show them.
It's hard for us because we see the suffering, we feel their pain.
We know there is a better way, If they would just turn to the Lord.

I get frustrated seeing what I'm seeing, knowing what I know.
And the more you try to give hope, the more they pull away.
It has to be this way. It's the way it always has been.
That's what the Bible teaches, that's what history teaches.

But we know there is hope. We know that the Lord is extremely lonng-suffering and merciful.
And it probably breaks His heart to watch us behaving so badly towards one another.
Maybe because his spirit is in us, we are able to share that heartbreak with Him.
Not that we are able to carry the burden of the world on our shoulders,
but we have the ability to help share each others burdens, and we are the Lord's helpers.

The Lord created Adam to dress and keep his garden.
Not that the Lord couldn't do it alone.
But that we could share in the fruits of our labours, while helping him labour for us.

I believe we are watching the season for the plowing of the soil.
It needs to get broken up weeded and turned over, seeded and fertelized.
If I was a garden, I would find that disturbing, all my roots and grass, my worms and microbes, all jumbled and tossed.
But the soil needs oxygen, like we need God's spirit.
And I believe what we are watching, is only for a season.

Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?
A lot of sweat and tears and even blood from a scratched knee or rocks getting kicked up from the earth.
It's all good, even when it looks all bad.

Trust the plan.
Trust God.

HUGS

Give ear, and hear my voice; hearken, and hear my speech. Does He who plows for sowing plow continually? Does He continually open and harrow His ground? When He had leveled its surface, does He not scatter dill, sow cummin, and put wheat in rows and barley in it's proper place, and spelt as the border? For he is instructed aright; his god teaches him. Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over cummin; but dill is beaten out with a stick, and cummin with a rod. Does one crush bread grain? No, he does not thresh it forever; when He drives His cart wheel over it with His horses, He does not crush it. This also comes from The Lord of host; He is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in wisdom.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if husbands like to adorn their wives with earings?
Should a wife obey her husband?

Is there a law for that somewhere?
or even something like:
1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

I can imagine the conversation at the dinner table:
Happy Anniversary darling, as he hands her a small box holding two small diamond earings.

Thank You husband but you need to return these to the jeweler, I'm not supposed to adorn myself with such frivolous things.

But your not adorning yourself, I'm adorning you.

hmm..
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, ir costly array.

I can actually understand this, but not in the way it was presented.

But then some husbands are really tight wallets and they don't think about adorning their wives. They rather buy a new car or truck, or gym equipment, to make themselves look good.

But yeah, I can see waiting to be adorned upon, and not having to adorn oneself.
Kind of like the difference between having the Lord's righteousness being clothed upon you, and you wearing your own righteousness.

I don't believe women are arrogant for wearing jewelry. I believe people wear jewelry for different reasons.

I guess that goes for wedding rings too?
cheapskate..
LOL
Amen ! and for the legalist pharisees I hope they perfectly obey all of the law.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 2:9, "I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, ir costly array."

It is impossible for a woman to wear fancy little earrings without first fixing her hair in an attempt to feel adorned. This desire to feel adorned is the work of the Enemy, who is the father of all lies, who convinced gullible Evening the Garden she should think about improving herself, and attaining what seemed good, rather than undertaking God's expressed will.

Isaiah ch. 3 gives a long description God's determination upon female vanity in the Hebrew women going into The Captivity Judgement. This description of vanity centers around women who unashamedly, rather than being in shamefacedness, display themselves for the Godless purpose of calling attention to their outward appearance, rather than displaying the Works of God.

1 Tim. 2:10, "But (which becometh women professing Godliness) with good works."

Neither Eve in the Garden thinking of her own efforts to have self aggrandizement, nor today's gullible women thinking to "highlight my eyes" with earrings, are thereby pursuing good the good works commanded in 1 Timothy ch. 2.

They even take pride and satisfaction in doing so, and chat with each other about how to elevate their appearances.
Some Christians believe it is wrong for women to wear makeup or jewelry, citing a couple of New Testament passages that seem to forbid such things. While we certainly respect the convictions of born-again children of God, we also want to be sure that our teaching does not go beyond what the Word of God actually says. We do not want to “teach man-made ideas as commands from God” (Mark 7:7, NLT).

In examining the propriety of wearing makeup or jewelry, we start with 1 Samuel 16:7b: “The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” This verse lays down a foundational principle concerning the limitations of our perspective: we naturally see the externals; God sees the internal truth. This does not mean that the externals are unimportant, of course—we readily communicate with others via visual signals, and the appearance we choose for ourselves can express rebellion, piety, carelessness, meticulousness, etc. But appearances can be deceiving, and there is the deeper issue of the heart. Whatever is done to the outward appearance is done for man to see, and we should be careful about that, but God is more concerned with what is happening in the heart.

In the context of rules for public worship, Paul says, “I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God” (1 Timothy 2:9–10). This is one of the passages that cause some women to avoid wearing makeup or jewelry altogether.

A couple of things to note in this passage: first, there is a standard of dress that is right for a woman in a worship service. Paul gives no specifics, but a woman’s clothing is to be modest and decent and respectable. Wearing anything that is immodest, indecent, or disreputable is wrong. Drawing the line between modest and immodest can be subjective, and modesty depends somewhat on cultural mores, but each believer should be discerning enough to avoid giving offense.

Second, there is a proper adornment for women who worship God and an improper adornment. The proper adornment for a godly woman is simply good deeds. Tabitha adorned herself beautifully by “always doing good and helping the poor” (Acts 9:36). The improper adornment for a godly woman is that which puffs her up with pride or draws attention to her outward appearance: the examples are elaborate hairstyles, gold and pearls, and expensive clothing. The focus of a worship service is to be the Lord, not the latest fashion, the biggest diamond, or the most chic hairdo. Wearing a $3,000 dress to church or flashing gaudy jewelry does nothing to truly adorn the woman of God. She would be much better off—and the poor much better served—if she sold the dress and gave the money to a Christian charity. Perhaps the time she spent on the elaborate hairdo would have been better spent serving someone in need.

In 1 Timothy 2:9–10, Paul sets up a contrast between trying to please God and trying to please men. A public worship service should not be a fashion show. It’s not that a woman can never wear jewelry or style her hair differently. It’s that overindulgence and excess are improper in church. We must all guard against pride and be careful not to distract others (or ourselves) from what is truly important: the worship of God and the service of others.

Another passage that relates to the issue of women wearing makeup or jewelry is 1 Peter 3:3–5, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves.”

Peter emphasizes the contrast between the outward, fleeting beauty and the inward, lasting beauty of a woman. A truly beautiful woman has a “gentle and quiet spirit.” She may not be noticed much in this world, but God sees the heart. To flaunt one’s beauty for selfish adoration is not in line with the humility of Christ, especially when the flaunting takes place in a worship service. Again, it’s not that braided hair is sinful, but those who rely on their hair, their jewelry, or their clothing to make them beautiful are chasing after vanity. It is more worthwhile to develop godly character.

In summary, there is nothing inherently wrong with wearing jewelry, makeup, or braided hair, as long as it is done in a modest manner. Also, such things can never replace good deeds or a humble spirit. A Christian woman should not be so focused on her outward appearance that she neglects her spiritual life. A worship service should be focused on God, not on us. If a woman is spending an inordinate amount of time and money on her appearance, the problem is that the woman’s priorities are misplaced. Expensive jewelry and clothing are the results of the problem, not the problem itself.got?

hope this helps !!!