The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
pajamas08.jpg

It's a movie that's become a part of a treasured watch list in our family along with "To Kill A Mocking Bird" and "Mississippi Burning"; movies with a strong moral message that gets us talking and discussing. My boys asked to see this one and it fills me with joy when my children want to see movies about moral issues.

Right now we're discussing the tutor that was hired to teach Bruno and Gretel. Those that have seen the movie knows how it ends and the tragic death of the colonel's son is rich in Christ typology, but that's a deeper subject which my 11 and 6 year olds aren't ready for.

The tutor was sent to teach the children German nationalism, the struggle of white people, and the threat of the Jewish race. 12 year old Gretel ate it up, becoming a model Nazi daughter and imbibing the hate she was being taught and repeating it. 8 year old Bruno rejects it, not accepting that Jews were vermin, evil, and must be destroyed.

AND I'M SO PROUD OF MY 11 YEAR OLD! .......who picked up on the fact that Bruno instinctively rejected the hate he was being spoon fed by this evil Nazi tutor. I told my boys that's what I want for them, to recognize evil when they hear it and to reject it, to not listen to anyone who tries to teach them to hate.

But it also goes to the deeper discussion of salvation, those souls that know and embrace the love of God versus those who reject it. We're talking about children, none of whom have any deep theological training or religious convictions. One of them took in the hate and the other rejected it. It reminded me of the passages of 1st John that talk about the children of God and how they are manifest and the children of wrath and how they're manifest. It was the first time we allowed our 6 year old to watch the movie, and he was terrified of the ending, how the two boys died holding each other in the midst of several other men who were also being exterminated. My 6 year old wanted to know if the two boys were going to heaven. I told him yes, and I told him why.

What an awesome movie to use to teach children with!

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great taste in movies

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Now you have my attention, anything for the little ones...perfect!

I never did become a substance abuser as my believing in God dad (not the Godman Jesus) beat me and my mother in his drunken stupors (he was fully forgiven long ago) thus he was my teacher (he had sort of an excuse, WWII really got to him). I would have rather had a father and teacher like you...good job!

I'm an old man that cannot even keep track of my great-grandchildren, however treasure the salvation of each and everyone of them.

Excellent!

Old Jack

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
shturt678s said:
Now you have my attention, anything for the little ones...perfect!

I never did become a substance abuser as my believing in God dad (not the Godman Jesus) beat me and my mother in his drunken stupors (he was fully forgiven long ago) thus he was my teacher (he had sort of an excuse, WWII really got to him). I would have rather had a father and teacher like you...good job!

I'm an old man that cannot even keep track of my great-grandchildren, however treasure the salvation of each and everyone of them.

Excellent!

Old Jack
Well don't give me accolades just yet, Jack! I got 4 kids, the youngest of which are two years old and 7 months old. There's still plenty of time to screw it all up! LOL

And I'm only half joking. Many parents are terrified at the awesome responsibility they have and hope they don't fail. My 2 year old daughter, I'm already fearful of the day she becomes a teenager! But the movies and the discussions are fun and I think my kids are getting the purpose of it all.