The Bride of Christ / The Body of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While "bride" is used as a simile of the church, the church is actually identified not as Jesus' bride, but as His Body.

Ephesians 5:25-32 KJV
25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28) So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29) For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30) For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32) This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Why are we male and female? Why, as male and female, do we marry?

The union of husband and wife is the closest thing in this world to our being added to His Body. Marraige is an illustration of our unity with Christ.

We are His body, that is the reality. Marraige is an illustration that points to this reality, but is not the reality itself.

We do, on the other hand, find a people who were once wed to God, whom God divorced, and has promised to re-wed. Israel.

Marraige is the illustration of the unity we share with Christ and each other being members of His body.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344 and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The union of husband and wife is the closest thing in this world to our being added to His Body. Marraige is an illustration of our unity with Christ.
i once heard a preacher say that just as in the natural world it took intimacy between bride and groom to produce offspring; so too in the spiritual/supernatural world it takes intimacy with Jesus to produce the next generation of Christians.

Reactions: dev553344 and marks

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
Unfortunately just as marriage is taken lightly today so is being one with God taken lightly.

One flesh in marriage, by the joining of two beings is raw, intimate and complete, so should our union with God be.

He does not take on us but we are to take on him. Just as the wife becomes Mrs to her Mr, are we to transform into the likeness of Christ.

He being our head and us being many members, we fit jointly, working together as a whole to do the Father's will.

We are NOT to seek our own, contradict the household of faith, nor try to destroy the union of God's family.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i once heard a preacher say that just as in the natural world it took intimacy between bride and groom to produce offspring; so too in the spiritual/supernatural world it takes intimacy with Jesus to produce the next generation of Christians.

John 15:5 KJV
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
Unfortunately just as marriage is taken lightly today so is being one with God taken lightly.

One flesh in marriage, by the joining of two beings is raw, intimate and complete, so should our union with God be.

He does not take on us but we are to take on him. Just as the wife becomes Mrs to her Mr, are we to transform into the likeness of Christ.

He being our head and us being many members, we fit jointly, working together as a whole to do the Father's will.

We are NOT to seek our own, contradict the household of faith, nor try to destroy the union of God's family.

Ephesians 4:11-16 KJV
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Amen!

Much love!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While "bride" is used as a simile of the church, the church is actually identified not as Jesus' bride, but as His Body.

25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28) So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29) For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
31) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

We are His body, that is the reality. Marraige is an illustration that points to this reality, but is not the reality itself.

We do, on the other hand, find a people who were once wed to God, whom God divorced, and has promised to re-wed. Israel.

Marraige is the illustration of the unity we share with Christ and each other being members of His body.

Much love!

Actually the bride of Christ = the little flock( Luke 12:32) 144,000( Rev 14:3) the anointed= the bride of Christ-to rule as kings and priests on thrones beside Jesus( Rev 1:6, Rev 20:6)--The great crowd( Rev 7:9) which no man can number are not promised heaven anywhere in the bible. They are the only other ones to get saved, thus received this promise from Jesus= Matthew 5:5-Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth. The psalmist knew that fact as well-Psalm 37:29--Proverbs 2:21-22 assures they remain on earth, Matthew 24:22 assures they are brought through the trib and Armageddon, on earth.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the bride of Christ = the little flock( Luke 12:32) 144,000( Rev 14:3) the anointed= the bride of Christ-to rule as kings and priests on thrones beside Jesus( Rev 1:6, Rev 20:6)--The great crowd( Rev 7:9) which no man can number are not promised heaven anywhere in the bible. They are the only other ones to get saved, thus received this promise from Jesus= Matthew 5:5-Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth. The psalmist knew that fact as well-Psalm 37:29--Proverbs 2:21-22 assures they remain on earth, Matthew 24:22 assures they are brought through the trib and Armageddon, on earth.
Do you have Scripture that shows this? I can't think of any myself.

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Notice that in Ephesians 5:25-32 Paul refers to the context of discussion and his point of reason, "as Christ." Notice that he did not refer rather to Jesus or the Father or to God, per se, but specifically to "Christ." Also recall that Paul came to say, "for me, to live is Christ." In which he was not saying "for me, to live is Jesus"...or "is God, etc." The point being the distinct difference--which Paul pointed out was/is "of his flesh, and of his bones."

But what is the real difference noted here by Paul, and his reason for referring to Christ rather than to the Father or even to Jesus by name?

Again--he stated the distinction and the difference.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
When I think of bride of Christ, I think of Adam and Eve. Jesus is the last Adam, a quickening spirit? And I think of being body with Jesus. His Body and Blood are eternal life. And when we take the bread and wine of the sacrament I think that makes us as the bride of Christ. I'm not totally sure about that as true doctrine, but it seems right or along the right direction to me.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
When I think of bride of Christ, I think of Adam and Eve. Jesus is the last Adam, a quickening spirit? And I think of being body with Jesus. His Body and Blood are eternal life.

The wine and the bread are symbolic of the real, but they are not the real.
Jesus gave the wine and bread, then told us we are to EAT/Drink Him.
That is Symbolic, .. Jesus is talking about Himself the "'BREAD come down from Heaven" the "bread of LIFE"...., and His Blood is God's Blood, as Jesus is God and He was about to shed it for you reader so that by this sacrifice God can reclaim you back into HIMSELF.... as '"born again" Spiritually.

Spiritual union with God, is to become the spiritual BODY of the Lord, and this UNION is understood in the natural as a bride and her husband.....as becoming "'ONE".....the consummation = the UNION of man and woman, have become ONE Flesh.
When understood spiritually this is to become BORN AGAIN '"IN CHRIST".. This is spiritual union between God's Spirit and the spirit in you reader the instant you trust in Christ.

"ONE with GOD".....that is UNION in the SPIRIT...."IN CHRIST".... = bride......marriage........consummation.
"ONE Flesh" in the natural understanding, and to become "ONE with GOD", "in Christ", in the Spiritual understanding , with both related to being born again.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice that in Ephesians 5:25-32 Paul refers to the context of discussion and his point of reason, "as Christ." Notice that he did not refer rather to Jesus or the Father or to God, per se, but specifically to "Christ." Also recall that Paul came to say, "for me, to live is Christ." In which he was not saying "for me, to live is Jesus"...or "is God, etc." The point being the distinct difference--which Paul pointed out was/is "of his flesh, and of his bones."

But what is the real difference noted here by Paul, and his reason for referring to Christ rather than to the Father or even to Jesus by name?

Again--he stated the distinction and the difference.
This is an excellent question! I want to meditate a bit before answering.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think being the lambs bride also brings a one-flesh like described for Adam and Eve. And we learn about taking the bread and wine and to do it worthily:

1 Corinthians 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

There have been times when I think I have actually felt the Lords body with mine. So I often wonder if that was true.

Reactions: Philip James

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His Body, we are closer than a bride, being the very bone of His bone and flesh of His flesh. One with Him. Marraige is a picture of the reality.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I think of bride of Christ, I think of Adam and Eve. Jesus is the last Adam, a quickening spirit? And I think of being body with Jesus. His Body and Blood are eternal life. And when we take the bread and wine of the sacrament I think that makes us as the bride of Christ. I'm not totally sure about that as true doctrine, but it seems right or along the right direction to me.
Many have taken ahold of this thinking, that we are the Bride of Christ. Some have elevated the concept of the Bride of Christ as being a select number of Christians who have excelled to rule over the lower level Christians. Personally I see that offering an appeal to flesh, to lord over others. We are not to be that way. Not saying you think this way!

Adam was a type for Him who was to come.

God said Adam should not be alone, but none of the created creatures were right for Adam, so God had to make someone special, Eve.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a great topic...I have often meditated on what the OT says about God's wife...
“Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:”
— Jeremiah 3:14 (KJV)“For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.”
— Isaiah 54:5 (KJV)

Obviously this marriage is a covenant relationship.
So God became Israel's husband when He made a covenant with them at Mt. Sinai...
Jesus became the new covenant promise between God and His people...
Jesus will marry at the time of the Wedding to His Bride...we are invited to the Wedding feast.
So is this Bride of Christ Israel reborn?

Reactions: marks and dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a great topic...I have often meditated on what the OT says about God's wife...
“Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:”
— Jeremiah 3:14 (KJV)“For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.”
— Isaiah 54:5 (KJV)

Obviously this marriage is a covenant relationship.
So God became Israel's husband when He made a covenant with them at Mt. Sinai...
Jesus became the new covenant promise between God and His people...
Jesus will marry at the time of the Wedding to His Bride...we are invited to the Wedding feast.
So is this Bride of Christ Israel reborn?

John 3:27-30 KJV
27) John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
28) Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
29) He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
30) He must increase, but I must decrease.

I think so.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have taken ahold of this thinking, that we are the Bride of Christ. Some have elevated the concept of the Bride of Christ as being a select number of Christians who have excelled to rule over the lower level Christians. Personally I see that offering an appeal to flesh, to lord over others. We are not to be that way. Not saying you think this way!

Adam was a type for Him who was to come.

God said Adam should not be alone, but none of the created creatures were right for Adam, so God had to make someone special, Eve.

Much love!
Yes I've heard people say that. I think some people want to be better than others maybe. Hmmm. Well I think the bible spells out various ordinances like baptism, bread and wine, etc. and obeying the Royal law to be accepted by Christ or to be saved or what have you. So that's kind of what I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are right there in my post
I'm sorry, I don't see any that actually identify the church as the bride of Christ. Perhaps you could supply the quotation, and show me?

Much love!