The Catholic Church and Authority

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
StanJ said:
@Mungo

You'll have to fix post 71 before I can reply to it properly. You seem to have missed a quote mark or two.
Too late. It won't let me edit now. However it's only the first quote which is incorrectly attributed. the rest seems OK. You can ignore the first one if you like
(Of course you can ignore them all if you like :) - that might save us both a lot of work)

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Key of David and key to the Kingdom of God are different things.

The Key of David is symbolism for Jesus' authority over the house of Jacob. `

In that day I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah,
and I will clothe him with your robe, and will bind your girdle on him,
and will commit your authority to his hand;
and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah.
And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David;
he shall open, and none shall shut;
and he shall shut, and none shall open.
And I will fasten him like a peg in a sure place,
and he will become a throne of honor to his father's house.

The master of the palace is one of the two witnesses who kingly authority*. Not Peter. Read revelation and you will figure it out!

Selective interpretation is a bad idea.

*speculation

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
rockytopva said:
I believe that the churches are seven...

Ephesus - Messianic - The Apostle Peter was the apostle to the circumcision.
Smyrna - Gentile - The Apostle Paul was the apostle to the uncircumcision.
Pergamos - Orthodox... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestant - A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Materialistic - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

So there are issues with all of them.
This is not what I believe, but is the absolute truth.

Whoever has ears let them hear.
The 7 churches of revelations are 7 end times churches. 3 will be in Israel, 2 for the messianic believers and 1 for the gentiles. the other 4 is the gentile churches throughout the world.

[OUT TOPIC...] I will post a new thread when I have time.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
Too late. It won't let me edit now. However it's only the first quote which is incorrectly attributed. the rest seems OK. You can ignore the first one if you like
(Of course you can ignore them all if you like :) - that might save us both a lot of work)
No problem, I'll take a whack at it. Not work for me because I'm retired. ;)

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mungo said:
So Luke was told about them! That sounds very much like the passing on of Tradition.
Do you expect me to take fright at the word 'tradition'?
We all follow tradition to some extent. Jesus followed Jewish traditions. But He made it quite clear that tradition must be subordinate to what 'is written' (Mark 7:1-13).

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Deborah_ said:
Do you expect me to take fright at the word 'tradition'?
We all follow tradition to some extent. Jesus followed Jewish traditions. But He made it quite clear that tradition must be subordinate to what 'is written' (Mark 7:1-13).
He made clear that man made traditions must not subvert the word of God. But Tradition that is God's word does not come into that category.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:
Key of David and key to the Kingdom of God are different things.
And your evidence for that?

The Key of David is symbolism for Jesus' authority over the house of Jacob.

Just as Jesus, the promised Davidic king, the King of kings, has taken his seat in heaven and rules over us all, so the key of the House of David symbolises the keys of Heaven.

You need to look at the whole of scriptue and how it all links together.

The master of the palace is one of the two witnesses who kingly authority*. Not Peter. Read revelation and you will figure it out!

Would you care to put that into understandable English?

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
davidnelson said:
My first question for Catholics is this: How can you be so sure that Peter is the first pope?
Clearly, if Peter isn't the first pope of the Roman Catholic Church, the catholic church won't have any authority what so ever.

Matthew 16:17-19
And Jesus responded, “Simon son of Jonah,[a] you are blessed because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock[c] I will build My church, and the forces[d] of Hades will not overpower it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound[e] in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed[f] in heaven.”

Peter is called Cephas because to Him the Father had reveal who Jesus is. The rock is the gospel of Jesus and His words and commandments. The keys of the kingdom of heaven doesn't refer to authority, it refer to the true gospel as the keys to the kingdom of heaven.

How can you be so sure he wasn't the first Pope??

If you want to know what The Church teaches you should go to a reliable source. I am sure nothing will change your mind but you could at least expand your knowledge:

http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/on-this-rock

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/peter-and-the-papacy

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:
First of all like I've said many times I was in the RCC for 17 years and learned all about their basic Doctrine then what they do and don't believe. Went to Catholic schools and took the catechism regularly. A lot of things didn't make sense to me but when I tried to question it I was told there's no question and you really believe it or you don't and eventually I didn't. I was saved in 1971 and have been studying the scriptures ever since and everything I have learned has shown me that many things that the RCC teaches is false teaching. those false teachings usually end up being propagated by people such as yourself on sites just like this. I've been defending the truth faith for many years now and God's word has always proven to be true whereas not so much for the teachings of the RCC. I haven't created my own Dogma and I'm sure you can tell that for the most part my beliefs are consistent with most that are on this thread. The problem with the RCC today and for many centuries before this is it they start with false teaching and build on it. Transubstantiation it's just one of the issues but there are many more and as the Bible teaches if you don't start on my Jesus built or on His foundation, then in the end it will all be burned up.
You researched what we said based on what is contain in the RCC catechism and you decided to accept it rather than the word of God? Here's a verse for you from the Bible not from the RCC catechism. You can either believe it or rejected but it is at the heart of the issue as to why you have a problem with accepting the Bible over the RCC catechism.
Hebrews 11:6 (NET)
Now without faith it is impossible to please him, for the one who approaches God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
So you really think that every teacher in the RCC teaches exactly what is in the catechism? No I don't remember specifics but I do remember that you gave up actually responding to what I had to say so to me that is acquiescence to the truth. Now if you have specifics then bring them up now and I'll deal with them. I do remember that your Mo was to try to ambush people which is why you probably didn't get a whole lot of cooperation when asking questions. Nobody likes to discuss with disingenuous people. If truth be known you probably had already made up your mind before you even showed up on this forum. But then again only Jesus knows for sure and he will be your judge in the end.
Again this is something that you don't seem to understand, I don't go to church I am part of THE church the Body of Christ. We meet together on a regular basis around the world in small groups, sometimes in the tens, sometimes in the hundreds, and sometimes in the thousands. It is a living breathing spiritual body not an institution made up of Steel and concrete. we don't have a capital city. We don't have millions of dollars in bank accounts. Each one of us ministers to the world as he or she is guided to do. We don't wait for someone to tell us what to do or how to think. We are a living, breathing, active, and spiritual Body of Christ. Jesus is our one and only mediator and head, who talks to each of us individually through his written word.
Why is your knowledge of scripture superior to that of the men of the RCC?

You say you "haven't created my own Dogma..." but I would argue by you studying scripture and you coming up with your own interpretation of that scripture and then you believing that interpretation to be true and then you practice and preach that interpretation to be true you have IN FACT created your own dogma!! That is unless of course your definition of 'dogma' is different than the dictionary.

You also said, .."and I'm sure you can tell that for the most part my beliefs are consistent with most that are on this thread". There are NO consistent beliefs on this thread. That is the definition of Protestantism: no consistency in beliefs (they just know the RCC is wrong). But I ain't mad at ya'. I used to be the same way. Now I have ROCK solid faith in what I believe.

You also said about me, "You researched what we said based on what is contain in the RCC catechism and you decided to accept it rather than the word of God?" AND THEN YOU WENT ON TO SAY, "We don't wait for someone to tell us what to do or how to think. We are a living, breathing, active, and spiritual Body of Christ. Jesus is our one and only mediator and head, who talks to each of us individually through his written word.

So....once again....YOU and your groups that meet together have the ability to interpret His written word? But the Catholic Church doesn't?? The RCC wrote down in a book (Catechism) their interpretation of scripture and that is wrong but you can meet in a tent with people that have different interpretations of the exact same passage of scripture and that is OK with you?? You accept your groups interpretation of scripture and you and your group is right (even though you probably disagree on a lot of things) but if Tom55 or 1 billion other people accept the RCC interpretation we are wrong?? Hmmmmm......

My "research" was of YOUR interpretation of what the RCC teaches. MY research revealed that YOU twisted what the RCC teaches. I pointed that out to you by QUOTING from the Catechism. You still said I was wrong and you were right even though I was QUOTING THE SOURCE of our discussion. It seems you, StanJ, can NEVER be wrong even when you are proven wrong with DIRECT QUOTES FROM THE SOURCE. Thru my research of YOUR lies about the RCC I have discovered that the RCC is the true Church spoken of in scripture.

I don't understand this statement of yours: We don't wait for someone to tell us what to do or how to think.

If you interpret scripture and decide it's true then you are telling yourself how to think. If the guy sitting next to you in the tent interprets it and you accept their interpretation then they are telling you how to think. So why get together with other people. Just sit at home and interpret scripture and act like you are right and everyone else is wrong.

What is the difference between your group people that meet in tents and my group of people that meet in buildings?? How do you know your right and we are wrong??

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:
Excuse me, the burden of proof is at your side.
I was going to work on this (Papacy) while I was away, except we need to clarify some things first.

Then I found that, like many protestants, you expect to Catholics come out with great wodges of scripture; you pick out a tiny point & make some comment, possibly relevant but often not. Then you think you have refuted it all.

FYI the word reply does not mean the same as refute.

There seems to be three rules when discussing with Protestants.

1. Catholics have to provide lots of scripture but Protestants don't.

2. Catholics have to try and refute any pieces of scripture protestants to throw in, and then accept their interpetation is wrong.

3. Protestants can reply to a small part of a Catholics post and claim it has been refuted.

(Stan even claimed one of my posts had been refuited even befoe I posted it).

Why not boil it down to one simple rule: - Catholics are wrong, just get over it.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
lforrest said:
There are instances in the bible where an interpretation is given, such as how 1 Timothy 5 interprets Deuteronomy 25:4 about muzzling an ox. Do you consider Paul the successor to Moses?
I do not see the relation between 1 timothy and Deuteronomy.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Deborah_ said:
And why do you define a universal church as one that has "the same teaching throughout the world"? Such a church does not exist. The Catholic church on its own is not universal because so many Christians are outside it.

All of us, Catholic and Protestant, would agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are Jesus' body and blood. The devil is in the detail: in what sense are they His body and blood? And without going inside the minds of the apostolic Fathers, how sure can we be of what they meant?
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs" is a quote from the Sermon on the Mount; it does not (in original context) refer specifically to the Eucharist but to any holy thing. I would agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are holy and should not be given to unbelievers, without having to believe in Transubstantiation.

Irenaeus (also from the second century) writes about the Eucharist and describes it as Christ's body and blood, but he also says, "He (i.e. Christ) has acknowledged the cup (which is a part of the creation) as His own blood, from which He bedews our blood; and the bread (also a part of the creation) He has established as His own body, from which He gives increase to our bodies." This doesn't sound like transubstantiation to me.

This is why I use the word 'debate' in my article. Even if a full belief in transubstantiation was present within the Church early on, it doesn't seem to have been held universally. And the same goes for many other distinctive Catholic doctrines.
I and scripture (and logic) define a universal church as ONE and having the same teaching throughout the world because this book I call the infallible word of God says that he wants us all to be one as thou the Father is in Him. Not separate in our beliefs like YOU believe.

He wants us to be ONE in Him so that the world may believe that He was sent by God; not divided in our beliefs which causes man to turn away from His word because of our division and we become 30,000 denominations instead of ONE Church with ONE belief.

We should recognize the glory which God gave to Jesus that he may give it to us so that we may be made perfect in ONE so that the world may know that God sent Him. Not imperfect which is what happens when we all interpret scripture differently. Then we are no longer ONE.

For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into ONE and has broken down the dividing wall or the hostility between us. If we have hostility between us we are not ONE. He wants to create in himself ONE new humanity in place of the two which brings us peace. This would reconcile both groups to God in ONE bodythrough the cross, thus putting to death that hostility; not MULTIPLE beliefs like you preach.

He wants all of us have access in ONE Spirit to the Father so that we are members of the ONE household of God which was built upon the foundation of the apostles with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. We can not be built upon the foundation of the apostles if we all believe something different because the apostles didn't believe OR preach something different. They were ONE in their beliefs and teaching. In Him the whole structure is joined together as ONE and grows into a (singular) holy temple in the Lord in whom you also are built together spirituallyinto a dwelling place for God. Not built together separately as YOU believe.

Scripture tells us to make every effort to maintain the UNITY of the Spirit because there is ONE body and ONE Spirit and we were called to the ONE hope of His calling, ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism, ONE God and Father of all.

He wanted some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers so that the saints would be equipped for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ until all of us come to the UNITY of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God; not separate knowledge or seperate faith as YOU believe.

Scripture says we must no longer be children, tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people’s trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming. YOU seem to believe separate doctrines are OK. I have proven Scripture disagrees with you!!

For as long as there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving according to human inclinations? For when one says, “I belong to Paul,” and another, “I belong to Apollos,” are you not merely human?
What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labor of each. For we are God’s servants, working together; you are God’s field, God’s building. YOU seem to believe it is OK that Christians don't have a common purpose and it is OK that we are not ONE. Scripture disagrees with you.

You are completely and utterly wrong when you say, "All of us, Catholic and Protestant, would agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are Jesus' body and blood." That belief or lack of belief is one of the biggest divisions in Christianity.

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs" is ALSO written in the Didache in reference to the Eucharist. Here is more context: No one should eat or drink this Eucharistic thanksgiving, unless they that have been baptized into the name of the Lord. As the Lord has said, “Do not give what is holy to the dogs.” This is what the early Christians practiced and believed. They believed it was his body and blood.

Like a good Protestant you only partially quoted Irenaeus to fit what YOU believe. Here is what he wrote right after that quote you provided: When, therefore, the mingled cup and the manufactured bread receives the Word of God, and the Eucharistt of the blood and the body of Christis made, from which things the substance of our flesh is increased and supported, how can they affirm that the flesh is incapable of receiving the gift of God, which is life eternal, which [flesh] is nourished from the body and blood of the Lord, and is a member of Him? ......and having received the Word of God, becomes the Eucharist, which is the body and blood of Christ;

It is funny that you partially quoted Irenaeus Against Heresies Book V, Chapter 2 which in it he says OPPOSITE of what you seem to believe. However, I am not really sure what you believe since you said, "I would agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are holy and should not be given to unbelievers, without having to believe in Transubstantiation."

If it's Holy then it is his body and blood like Jesus said it was, like Paul said it was and like the early Christians practiced during their gatherings and the Early Church Fathers said it was. (Transubstantiation)

If it's not Holy then it is only bread and wine (a symbol).

(Transubstantiation: the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining.)

When you say transubstantiation "doesn't seem to have been held universally. And the same goes for many other distinctive Catholic doctrines" is biblically and historically accurate. (See we can agree on something)

There were divisions even when the Apostles were alive and they continue 2000 years later. Anyone that taught anything other than what the Apostles preached were heretics and called anti-Christ. That still holds true today. But as we can CLEARLY see the bread and wine becoming his body and blood has been practiced and preached for 2000 years. It is biblical, historical and traditional.

So are you not even going to acknowledge that you were completely wrong about Catholic priest not being able to be married?? Are you going to answer my questions: You don't believe what the Catholic Church writes (doctrines) but you believe what YOU write? Interesting!! So who is right in what they write??

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
davidnelson said:
Excuse me, the burden of proof is at your side.
You can read the articles with the links provided OR I could have cut and pasted them....I choose to provide you the link.

Otherwise I have presented to you an answer to your question. I have given you "the proof" so the burden is now off my shoulders and now on yours.

Read it or don't read it.....I don't care. I answered your question via the link or source provided. Something you could have easily done on your own.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tom

Wikipedia (admittedly not a final authority on such matters but my easiest source of information) says this on the subject of priestly celibacy:

During and after the Second Vatican Council, the Magisterium of the Catholic Church has repeatedly re-affirmed the permanent value of the discipline of obligatory clerical celibacy in the Latin Church.[40] Pope John Paul II, synthesizing the deliberations of Ordinary General Assembly VIII of the Synod of Bishops held in 1990, wrote in Pastores dabo vobis (1992), section 29:

The synod fathers clearly and forcefully expressed their thought on this matter in an important proposal which deserves to be quoted here in full: "While in no way interfering with the discipline of the Oriental churches, the synod, in the conviction that perfect chastity in priestly celibacy is a charism, reminds priests that celibacy is a priceless gift of God for the Church and has a prophetic value for the world today. This synod strongly reaffirms what the Latin Church and some Oriental rites require that is, that the priesthood be conferred only on those men who have received from God the gift of the vocation to celibate chastity (without prejudice to the tradition of some Oriental churches and particular cases of married clergy who convert to Catholicism, which are admitted as exceptions in Pope Paul VI's encyclical on priestly celibacy, no. 42). The synod does not wish to leave any doubts in the mind of anyone regarding the Church's firm will to maintain the law that demands perpetual and freely chosen celibacy for present and future candidates for priestly ordination in the Latin rite.

I am aware that exceptions are sometimes made for married priests who convert to Catholicism, but that's what they are: rare exceptions. How does that make me "completely wrong" on this subject? If the possibility of marriage has indeed always been open to all Catholic priests, I am happy to stand corrected.

For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into ONE and has broken down the dividing wall or the hostility between us. If we have hostility between us we are not ONE. He wants to create in himself ONE new humanity in place of the two which brings us peace. This would reconcile both groups to God in ONE bodythrough the cross, thus putting to death that hostility; not MULTIPLE beliefs like you preach.
I am puzzled as to why you equate difference of belief with hostility. They do sometimes go together, but not necessarily.

I am not really sure what you believe since you said, "I would agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are holy and should not be given to unbelievers, without having to believe in Transubstantiation."

If it's Holy then it is his body and blood like Jesus said it was, like Paul said it was and like the early Christians practiced during their gatherings and the Early Church Fathers said it was. (Transubstantiation)

If it's not Holy then it is only bread and wine (a symbol).
You seem to think that there are only two options. I disagree. I do not believe that the Eucharist is 'only' bread and wine. Symbols can be very holy. A wedding ring is a symbol, but I would not treat mine carelessly.

You don't believe what the Catholic Church writes (doctrines) but you believe what YOU write? Interesting!! So who is right in what they write??
So who sets the standard for 'right'? It seems to be stating the obvious to say that everyone believes that they themselves are right. If they believed they were wrong, they would write something different, surely? You believe that everything the Catholic church teaches is 'right', giving up the need to think for yourself; that's your choice, just as I have made a choice not to accept any doctrine uncritically. Presumably we shall find out who (if anyone) was completely 'right' when we reach the new earth - but by then it will no longer be a matter for discussion.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Deborah_ said:
Hi Tom

Wikipedia (admittedly not a final authority on such matters but my easiest source of information) says this on the subject of priestly celibacy:

I am aware that exceptions are sometimes made for married priests who convert to Catholicism, but that's what they are: rare exceptions. How does that make me "completely wrong" on this subject? If the possibility of marriage has indeed always been open to all Catholic priests, I am happy to stand corrected.

So who sets the standard for 'right'? It seems to be stating the obvious to say that everyone believes that they themselves are right. If they believed they were wrong, they would write something different, surely? You believe that everything the Catholic church teaches is 'right', giving up the need to think for yourself; that's your choice, just as I have made a choice not to accept any doctrine uncritically. Presumably we shall find out who (if anyone) was completely 'right' when we reach the new earth - but by then it will no longer be a matter for discussion.
Why would you quote Wikipedia when you can go to the source?

Quote from YOU: For the first thousand or so years of its existence, priests and clergy were allowed to marry. Then the Church changed its teaching, and ever since they have been required to be celibate.

Since what you said IS NOT TRUE that makes you COMPLETLEY WRONG!

YOU seem to believe that everything YOU decide as right to be right. You rely on you. That is except for your belief in the Apostles Creed. You didn't write that yourself, did you? You relied on others. Or the Trinity doctrine. YOU didn't come up with that, did you? Then you accuse me of giving up the need to think for myself? Is that a thorn in your eye or a log? YOU think you can read scripture and interpret it correctly without twisting it to your own destruction? You are infallible?

I believe scripture is infallible and the Church can interpret correctly. Not YOU.
I trust in the Church that Jesus established with Peter as it's first leader. You trust in you.
I trust in the men of the church that is the pillar and foundation of truth. Men who are much smarter than I to interpret scripture properly. You trust in you.
I trust in the writings of the early church fathers that were clearly Catholic in their beliefs. You trust in misquoting or not fully quoting those same men (like you did earlier and I addressed of which you ignored) to fit YOUR beliefs.

Its not a matter of who sets the standard for 'right'. It is a matter of who has the authority to be right. YOU seem to think no one does. YOU seem to think scripture fluid or a cafeteria. You can pick and choose what you believe. Shop around for different beliefs and accept them as true if it sounds good to YOU.

The Catholic Church disagrees with you. I agree with the Catholic Church. You have your doctrine you follow. I have RCC doctrine I follow. I trust in the teaching of a church that has been around for 2000 years. You trust in you.

Post #93 destroys your theory. As you may have noticed most of that post comes directly from scripture.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Catholic Church disagrees with you. I agree with the Catholic Church.
On the one hand, the Catholic church claims to be the one and only authority. On the other there are people claiming that it is heretical (or worse). (And there are other less extreme points of view)

How am I to choose between these competing claims without exercising my own judgement? How do you decide to agree with the Catholic church without exercising yours? If you haven't given up thinking for yourself, why do you condemn me for doing the same?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If I may throw in my two-pennyworth on this priests marrying dispute, I think there may be some misunderstandings here.

Firstly priestly celibacy is not a teaching of the Catholic Church. Teaching is about doctrine - faith and morals.

Priestly celibacy is a discipline. Practices and disciplines can be changed and adapted according to circumstances and over time. So no teaching has changed.

As I understand it, with Eastern Rite Catholics (as with the Orthodox) a married man may become a priest but once a priest he may not marry. In the Orthodox Church a married man may not become a bishop. I don’t know whether that applies in the Catholic Church.

In the Latin Rite married men cannot become priests (with some rare, and recent, exceptions)

So we have married priests but not priests marrying.

For the next bit I’ll stick to the Latin Rite as I don’t know all the circumstances of the other Rites.

The charge is then usually levelled that the Catholic Church forbids people (priests) from marrying but the Bible teaches against forbidding marriage (1Tim 4:1-3).

This is incorrect. The Church does not forbid priests to marry. When an unmarried man chooses to become a priest in the Latin Rite is their choice to give up the option of marriage when they become priests “because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.” (Mt 19:12)

"An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord." (1Cor 7:32)

Similarly if a man marries he gives up the option of being a priest (at least unless his wife dies)

“But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife and he is divided.” (1Cor 7:33-34)

Paul says “Indeed, I wish everyone to be as I am [unmarried], but each has a particular gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

Marriage and Ordination are sacraments. Whichever a person chooses he or she will be given the graces (gifts) to live the life they have chosen.

It’s a choice. No-one forces anyone to marry or become a priest.

No-one forbids anyone to marry, but some choices rule out others.
No-one must take a vow of celibacy.
But if a man or a woman chooses to follow a celibate life as a priest, monk or nun then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

Similarly if a man or a woman chooses to marry then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.