The Christian Cross *Trigger Warning* Controversial Viewpoint

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So coming from a background of CI that doesn't support wearing or using / having the cross, I'm hoping to gain some other perspectives from Christians about how they view the cross that we see in Christian churches and so on.
Because from my view point, the cross itself is the literal torture device that Jesus died upon, yes I know why etc, but I can't help but see it as the same as you wouldn't wear a 10 tonne truck necklace in memory of a loved one who was took out by a truck in a vehicle accident.
And it seems to me personally not a correct or nice way to remember Jesus by, surely we should remember Him by who he was, what he taught, Him at his best, and not on the literal torture death device, I understand it symbolizes what He did for us, but it still just doesn't feel right to me....

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So coming from a background of CI that doesn't support wearing or using / having the cross, I'm hoping to gain some other perspectives from Christians about how they view the cross that we see in Christian churches and so on.
Because from my view point, the cross itself is the literal torture device that Jesus died upon, yes I know why etc, but I can't help but see it as the same as you wouldn't wear a 10 tonne truck necklace in memory of a loved one who was took out by a truck in a vehicle accident.
And it seems to me personally not a correct or nice way to remember Jesus by, surely we should remember Him by who he was, what he taught, Him at his best, and not on the literal torture death device, I understand it symbolizes what He did for us, but it still just doesn't feel right to me....
The cross being a symbol of torture is only one part of the story, as we are to see ourselves as crucified with the Lord Jesus and therefore it becomes a symbol of our salvation - us on the cross too.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with cross; it's one half of the good news. His resurrection being the other half. Sometimes I think people who focus too much on the cross lose sight of the fact that it's only half the equation. I don't dwell a lot on His gruesome death but the love and obedience He demonstrated by going to the cross.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 2:2
[2]For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Luke 22:19-20
[19]And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying,
This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
[20]Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26
[23]For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
[24]And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said,
Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
[25]After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
[26]For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

I don't see a problem with wearing a cross or displaying the symbol as long as it's not an idol. But it is a symbol, a reminder of what He did for us. But more so, the Lord's supper, receiving communion, is the way we were instructed to remember Him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because from my view point, the cross itself is the literal torture device that Jesus died upon
That is also what JWs believe. For me the empty cross is a symbol of what Jesus did for me. That he died in my place and won the victory over death so that I too could have that victory over death.
A cross in or of itself has no power though.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is also what JWs believe. For me the empty cross is a symbol of what Jesus did for me. That he died in my place and won the victory over death so that I too could have that victory over death.
A cross in or of itself has no power though.
Are you stalking my threads?
Interesting, I never knew that about JWs, makes sense though

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't wear a cross. I wear a Dove pendant.

I'm sure Jesus saw quite enough of the cross in his day.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have said this many times myself actually…..if Jesus was hung on a gallows, would people have an image of that with Jesus swinging from the rope? Or if he was stood in front of a firing squad, with arrows instead of bullets, would we see people wearing an arrow around their necks or in their churches…..?
It seems bizarre to me that the torture stake (which in scripture is never called a cross….it’s a “stauros” which is an upright stake, like a fence paling) could be cherished by those who claim to love Jesus…..after all, who put him on that stake? Enemies of God.….the most painful death imaginable in the day, because they suffered every moment, struggling to breathe and when the Romans had had enough, they broke their legs so that they would suffocate and die…..it was prophesied that not a bone of Jesus body would be broken….and when the soldiers came to break his legs they found that he had already expired.

When Jesus said….”forgive them Father for they know not what they do”….he was not referring to the Pharisees who had wickedly schemed his murder…..he was referring to the Roman soldiers who were employed to drive the nails through his flesh….just doing their job, following orders. How do we know this? By Jesus’ condemnation of the Pharisees in Matt 23. He sentenced them to “Gehenna” and to a Jew, that meant eternal death. They would find no forgiveness because they never repented of their crimes.
I agree, and that is why we (JW’s) do not have images in our Christian meeting places. Part of God’s law was not to make images to use in worship…..(Ex 20:4-5) We try hard to follow through on God’s commands…even the difficult ones.

Last edited:

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's a matter of perspective. Jesus whole point in being born was to be the sacrificial lamb for our salvation. His dying on the cross is the whole crux on which Christianity rests. The cross is a symbol of that ultimate sacrifice. When Jesus was resurrected and appeared to His followers, He still had the crucifixion marks in his hands (John 20:24–29). He could have returned completely whole, but He chose to keep them as a reminder. The symbol of cross is also a reminder. Having said that, I don't believe God\Jesus is going to hold it against anyone if they don't want to venerate the physical cross symbol.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it helps if we know what you mean by, CI?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I had a friend who became a Christian because of a a cross. It was in a movie and was held up by the good guy to ward off the bad guy. And in a eureka moment he realised that the cross, of itself, had no power whatsoever but it was what the cross stands for - victory in Jesus against evil - that is where the true power is.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a friend who became a Christian because of a a cross. It was in a movie and was held up by the good guy to ward off the bad guy. And in a eureka moment he realised that the cross, of itself, had no power whatsoever but it was what the cross stands for - victory in Jesus against evil - that is where the true power is.
Wow. Again, God knows how to get our attention, doesn't He? Have you ever watched a true story movie called, "China Cry"? There is a very powerful moment in this woman's conversion that involves the cross. ❤️

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. Again, God knows how to get our attention, doesn't He? Have you ever watched a true story movie called, "China Cry"? There is a very powerful moment in this woman's conversion that involves the cross. ❤️

No not heard of that one.