The Church The Papacy Says You Should Join

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Honestly: I do admire SDA's stressing on having a day of rest and honoring the Lord. But the stressing that is must be Saturday, rubs me the wrong way and seems very legalistic. For me, the important thing is having that day of rest and honoring the Lord. And heck, if life's schedule is dictates that the only day I can do that is a Thursday, then I shall worship the Lord and rest on Thursday!

For me, the important thing is the day of rest and honoring the Lord. Not what the calendar says.

Agreed. A great many of the early churches actually met every day of the week. The Sabbath always was and always will be Saturday, but it is the only one of the Ten Commandments which Jesus did not specifically affirm. While having a day of rest and reflection on the mighty works of God is still something that it seems Christians might want to do, I don't think that we are being disobedient for not observing the Sabbath. Historically, the Gentile churches did not observe the Sabbath. Once the RCC "changed" the Sabbath to Sunday from Saturday, then it became Sunday observance--but the RCC cannot simply make a rule that countermands God's explicit Commandment. Most people in the Western nations get Saturday and Sunday off work. So it really isn't a problem. There is still a problem for those who must work on weekends--police, firefighters, ambulance attendants, doctors, nurses, etc.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. A great many of the early churches actually met every day of the week. The Sabbath always was and always will be Saturday, but it is the only one of the Ten Commandments which Jesus did not specifically affirm. While having a day of rest and reflection on the mighty works of God is still something that it seems Christians might want to do, I don't think that we are being disobedient for not observing the Sabbath. Historically, the Gentile churches did not observe the Sabbath. Once the RCC "changed" the Sabbath to Sunday from Saturday, then it became Sunday observance--but the RCC cannot simply make a rule that countermands God's explicit Commandment. Most people in the Western nations get Saturday and Sunday off work. So it really isn't a problem. There is still a problem for those who must work on weekends--police, firefighters, ambulance attendants, doctors, nurses, etc.
A lot of places now schedule Saturday and Sunday as regular work days so they don’t have to pay overtime.

I had a job like that, rotating days off, two on two off, or however they’d schedule it, you got weekends off like once a month.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dead Bread, I'm curious as to how far back in the archives didja have to go to dig up all that?

MEANWHILE, HERE'S WHAT IS IN OUR LOCAL NEWS TODAY:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Two names added to Diocese of Baton Rouge’s clergy abuse list

And, yes, I provided several links showing Pedophile-in-Chief Leo X authorized the priesthood to sell forgiveness for $$$, and no amount of your whining can change it. What a clueless wonder you are to think you can come in here and deny what is a matter of history as "evidence" that your Whore of Babylon is innocent. Satan is very proud of his papal servants, isn't he?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed that as soon as I do something for God, like evangelizing, I get attacked. Satan seems to leave you alone if you're baking cookies for the church social, but start to invade his darkness and he turns his guns on you. So I could see where Satan would attack someone who is leading others to Christ.

It's interesting that I've been a vegetarian for many years - I love animals and eating them always seemed barbaric to me. I read that someone said that they "don't eat anything that has a face" so that's my guide - meat-eating grosses me. I can't even stand to smell it cooking. So my diet aligns with the beliefs of the 7 DA diet. I listened to a radio preacher years ago - "It is Written" and got a few cookbooks from them. I recently found Quinoa - a grain that is high in protein. There is a lot you can eat without resorting to meat.

I encourage others to leave Christian tracts around because years ago I had no one guiding me and I became the victim of the name it and claim it hucksters, but as I sought God I was grateful that I came across that booklet. I think that there are a lot of lost souls that you may reach just by leaving tracts around. And this world needs as much light permeating the darkness as possible. "The entrance of Your Word brings light..."
Wonderful testimony :)

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you are rejecting the very Scriptures you CLAIM are your "ultimate" authority . . .

Matt 16:16-19
He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18

"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, TELL THE CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, whatever YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

Now, THAT, my friend is ULTIMATE AUTHORITY . . .
Once again, you papists TWIST Scripture in order to establish your lies.

Those verses about "binding and loosing" have to do with administration and discipline, not the establishment of "new truths" to be used by papists liars to supplant previously established truths of God.

"To the Law and to the Testimony, if (papists) speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20 KJV
Does the Bible speak about the "assumption" of Mary?
No light, Dead Bread.

Does the Bible speak about Purgatory?
No light, Dead Bread.

Doe this Word speak about confessing sins to priests, pedophiles and otherwise?
No light, Dead Bread.

See what I did there, DB? I proved Satan's flagship organization in Rome has NO LIGHT in it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only "revelation" in the writings if E.G. White is the she was a false teacher and prophet who duped a LOT of gullible people . . .

I'm not attacking your faith AT ALL - since anyone can be saved or unsaved in ANY denomination. I keep thinking that America is getting ready to collapse and found my way to a website "Now the End Begins" and there was an article about the Catholic Church that all Catholics should look at. The Pope actually wears a pentagram on his head.

Who Is The Roman Catholic Church Really Worshiping?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He said NOTHING of them finding the answers in Scripture– which hadn’t even been written yet.
That is false. Jesus said, as recorded in John 17:17: "Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth."
Jesus also affirmed the authority of the Old Testament in John 10:35. He said, "...the Scriptures cannot be broken." The gospels and the Epistles were accepted as Scripture from the very early Jewish-Christian days of the Church and the reading of such was simply added to the customary reading of the Tanakh.

Scripture is Authoritative, yes – but NOT the “sole” or even “ultimate”Authority. YOU are making claims for Scripture that Scripture doesn’tmake for itself. In 2 Thess. 2:15, Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, places Sacred Tradition ON PAR with Scripture. Was he lying??

That passage says: "With all these things in mind, dear brothers and sisters, stand firm and keep a strong grip on the teaching we passed on to you, both in person and by letter." The word of God and the Word of God is TRUTH---men do lie.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting comments LC... You acknowledge the validity of the Sabbath yet dismiss it even though you affirm it is one of God's explicit Commandments and incidentally, Jesus did affirm it by saying he was Lord of the Sabbath. Then you add that you don't think you are being disobedient for not observing the Sabbath. Do you see the contradiction?

Is it possible that the bulk of Christianity has the same attitude towards all the Commandments?.....don't commit adultery...perhaps it only applies to somebody else?... or don't covet? I'll bet this one isn't even on the horizon for most.....what about taking the Lords name in vain? etc etc.

Frankly, I think it would suit the majority if they were just scrubbed. A theology has been erroneously cobbled together dismissing God's Ten Commandments as having any claim on them while at the same time putting forward the love thing as a substitute....mainly this is understood as sentimentalism ie, feeling good in Church or giving lip service to it's principle deliberately ignoring that the 10c's are a transcript of Love.

God is Jealous for his Law. It will be the measure by which all peoples are judged at the appointed time.....even a cursory understanding of the scriptures makes this evident.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting comments LC... You acknowledge the validity of the Sabbath yet dismiss it even though you affirm it is one of God's explicit Commandments and incidentally, Jesus did affirm it by saying he was Lord of the Sabbath. Then you add that you don't think you are being disobedient for not observing the Sabbath. Do you see the contradiction?
He was saying it in reply to those who were accusing Him of violating the Sabbath. He was telling them that, as the Lord of the Sabbath, the One who created all things, including Sabbath observance, that He would determine how it was to be instituted. He also said that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Sabbath observance is part of what identifies Israel, no Gentile Christian group should try to appropriate it for themselves.

Is it possible that the bulk of Christianity has the same attitude towards all the Commandments?
No.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not attacking your faith AT ALL - since anyone can be saved or unsaved in ANY denomination. I keep thinking that America is getting ready to collapse and found my way to a website "Now the End Begins" and there was an article about the Catholic Church that all Catholics should look at. The Pope actually wears a pentagram on his head.

Who Is The Roman Catholic Church Really Worshiping?

Hey, SG. Have you ever seen the relatively new Pope Paul VI Audience Hall? Check this out: The Dark Secrets Behind The Pope’s Audience Hall (It’s a Giant Reptilian)

They have a statue of supposedly Christ up behind the papal throne and it looks like it has a snake's head from both sides. You can only see "Jesus'" face from the front and it is a bizarre-looking statue at that. They made up some bla-blah about it but they haven't come up with any excuses about the design of the audience hall that I have heard. It is quite creepy.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agreed. A great many of the early churches actually met every day of the week. The Sabbath always was and always will be Saturday, but it is the only one of the Ten Commandments which Jesus did not specifically affirm. While having a day of rest and reflection on the mighty works of God is still something that it seems Christians might want to do, I don't think that we are being disobedient for not observing the Sabbath. Historically, the Gentile churches did not observe the Sabbath. Once the RCC "changed" the Sabbath to Sunday from Saturday, then it became Sunday observance--but the RCC cannot simply make a rule that countermands God's explicit Commandment. Most people in the Western nations get Saturday and Sunday off work. So it really isn't a problem. There is still a problem for those who must work on weekends--police, firefighters, ambulance attendants, doctors, nurses, etc. but I think that it is covered under Jesus' observation that even the Pharisees would not let a cow stay stuck in the mud on the Sabbath.

* I edited it to add the last bit of my post.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is your final authority here on earth?
Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium all work together in harmony. One is not over the other. That is the biblical final authority on faith and morals. I challenge you, using scripture alone, to prove Tradition and the Magisterium are not necessary, or won't be necessary at some future point.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The RCC hierarchy are wannabe Jews. Jesus set us free from the "traditions of men" and their puffed-up Sanhedrins. Then the RCC comes along and puts it right back with the Vatican in the driver's seat. Origen was wrong. Sin is not the source of divisions, schisms, etc. A lack of truth from Scripture is the source of all of that. Jesus asked the Father to sanctify us in the truth and that Scripture is the truth. All else doesn't even fall in a close second place. When I went to a non-denominational Bible study, there were NO schisms, etc. When you stray from the word of God, expect strife. That's just the way it is. Jesus combated Satan with the word. We should too. C.H. Spurgeon (arguably the greatest preacher in the English language) once said: "The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as fruit from the root. The need is Biblical doctrine so understood and felt that it sets men's hearts on fire." He was absolutely right.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium all work together in harmony. One is not over the other. That is the biblical final authority on faith and morals. I
You will not be able to produce any Scripture to back that up.

The Magisterium of the Catholic Church
Defined as "the Church's divinely appointed authority to teach the truths of religion". In other words, Our Lord gave His Church the authority to teach the faithful about what is expected of them, and that is what the Church has done consistently from the start.

The Magisterium of Catholic Church teaches the faithful in two ways;

1) Solemn Magisterium: is Church teaching which is used only rarely by formal and authentic definitions of councils or Popes. This includes dogmatic definitions by councils or Popes teaching "ex cathedra"...

Catholic Essentials - The Magisterium

Now here's the problem which the Catholic Church faces: If this Magisterium business is indeed true, then how is it that about 260 million
Eastern Orthodox Christians reject it and reject the papacy? Furthermore there are about 2 billion Christians worldwide, and about half of them are Roman Catholic. Which leaves over a billion Christians who reject the Magisterium also. Which means that it false.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your final authority here on earth?
I'm not sure why you're asking me thins - I already told you.

I believe as Christ and the Apostles taught - that His CHURCH is our final Authority here on earth (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23, 2 Thess. 2:15). We don't have a "SOLE" Authority because we ascribe to the Scriptures, Sacred Tradition and Church Authority.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The RCC hierarchy are wannabe Jews. Jesus set us free from the "traditions of men" and their puffed-up Sanhedrins. Then the RCC comes along and puts it right back with the Vatican in the driver's seat. Origen was wrong. Sin is not the source of divisions, schisms, etc. A lack of truth from Scripture is the source of all of that. Jesus asked the Father to sanctify us in the truth and that Scripture is the truth. All else doesn't even fall in a close second place. When I went to a non-denominational Bible study, there were NO schisms, etc. When you stray from the word of God, expect strife. That's just the way it is. Jesus combated Satan with the word. We should too. C.H. Spurgeon (arguably the greatest preacher in the English language) once said: "The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as fruit from the root. The need is Biblical doctrine so understood and felt that it sets men's hearts on fire." He was absolutely right.
Spoken like a person who is totally ignorant of Scripture.

Jesus didn't "condemn" Tradition. In fact, He and the Apostles RELIED on it.
He condemned the superfluous traditions of the Pharisees which they had elevated above Scripture, thereby nullifying the Word of God.

As for your allegiance to Charles Spurgeon - he was a Calvinist and was polluted by the unbiblical traditions of John Calvin.
Double Predestination and Limited Atonement are doctrines of devils . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will not be able to produce any Scripture to back that up.

The Magisterium of the Catholic Church
Defined as "the Church's divinely appointed authority to teach the truths of religion". In other words, Our Lord gave His Church the authority to teach the faithful about what is expected of them, and that is what the Church has done consistently from the start.

The Magisterium of Catholic Church teaches the faithful in two ways;

1) Solemn Magisterium: is Church teaching which is used only rarely by formal and authentic definitions of councils or Popes. This includes dogmatic definitions by councils or Popes teaching "ex cathedra"...

Catholic Essentials - The Magisterium

Now here's the problem which the Catholic Church faces: If this Magisterium business is indeed true, then how is it that about 260 million
Eastern Orthodox Christians reject it and reject the papacy? Furthermore there are about 2 billion Christians worldwide, and about half of them are Roman Catholic. Which leaves over a billion Christians who reject the Magisterium also. Which means that it false.
This is a silly argument.

You think that because half of the Christians on earth reject Catholic doctrine - that THIS makes it "untrue"??
MOST
people rejected Christ. Did that make HIM false??

Pretty flawed logic . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Said from one who has obviously not read her.
It only takes ONE false prophecy to make a false prophet.
You don't need to have read every volume she wrote to find a false prophecy . . .

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pretty flawed logic . .
Not really. If this Magisterium doctrine were true, the Eastern Orthodox would not have rejected it, being so close to the Catholic church. And they had a biblical reason for rejecting the papacy.

"It is the position of Orthodox Christianity that Roman Catholic arguments in support of the teaching have relied on proofs from Fathers that have either been misinterpreted or so taken out of context as to misrepresent their true intent. It is the position of Orthodox Christianity that a closer examination of those supposed supports would have the effect of either not supporting the argument or have the opposite effect of supporting the counter-argument."

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dead Bread, I'm curious as to how far back in the archives didja have to go to dig up all that?

MEANWHILE, HERE'S WHAT IS IN OUR LOCAL NEWS TODAY:
Two names added to Diocese of Baton Rouge’s clergy abuse list

And, yes, I provided several links showing Pedophile-in-Chief Leo X authorized the priesthood to sell forgiveness for $$$,
and no amount of your whining can change it. What a clueless wonder you are to think you can come in here and deny what is a matter of history as "evidence" that your Whore of Babylon is innocent. Satan is very proud of his papal servants, isn't he?
Uhhhhh, WRONG.

As usual - you posted a few SECONDARY sources.
You NEVER post primary sources because that would mean doing some actual homework and discovering that there AREN'T any.

No matter HOW much whining you do about Pope Leo - you simply have NO evidence that he ordered the selling of Indulgences so your case falls FLAT on its face.
This is what we intellectuals refer to as the "moment of truth" in a debate . . .

PS - Check the DATES on those abuse cases in Louisiana, Einstein.
They range from 1917 through the early 1970's. It's ANCIENT HISTORY . . .