The Danbury letters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are laws only about morality?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to put this in the main debate section as to try and see what this forum as a whole thinks about this topic.

So in 1802, the Danbury Baptists wrote a letter to then president thomas jefferson. Jefferson’s response to their letter would go on to become the infamous “separation of church and state.”

i believe this letter has been used wrongly to justify the belief of what religious freedom means in our federal constitution.

We are told that no religious discussion can have a place in our political assemblies. I believe that after studying the danbury letters, what the baptists were looking for was something specific to be added in the constitution that the US govt would never seek to pick a particular religion or denomination. And this is where jefferson’s separation of church and state comes in. He didnt mean that religion has no place in politics, he meant that the US govt would never side with any religious group and condemn all others as had been the case in europe during those times.

so the question is, are laws all about morality? Should laws that are not about morality be considered tyrannical?