The Doctrine of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
justaname said:
I like the way you opened your statement. This subject is definitely a two sided coin. Without question God will not go against His promise.

This only then leaves the believer to be able to thwart the salvation process.

Now this brings into question a few things.

1. Is the new covenant a suzerainty treaty or something all together different?
2. Can someone truly believe something in their heart and head, then gain the assurance and protection of the Almighty God, and then discontinue in their belief?
3. Will God let go of those He intends to save?
4. Is free will more sovereign than God?
5. Are we the ultimate author of our faith?

Here is a verse to chew on whilst thinking on the subject.

1John 2:19

19 They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us.
Why does Paul plead with the Saints to sin not, rather than believing they are Unbelievers who need to get saved in the first place?

Why does Paul weep with tears over the Saints who are caught up in sin. Shouldn't he relax and just assume they are unbelievers and preach the Gospel to them?

At what point do you stop believing someone was saved and stop ministering and praying for them?

If saints need deliverance, they must be unsaved, right?

Nice doctrine. Let's just associate ourselves with those who DO NOT SIN, because we all know that when we are born-again, we are instantly mature.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
That passage you are referring to is Roman's 3:25, which states that the former penalties of sin that occurred before the cross are now being passed over through the blood of the lamb. It is not referring to an individual's past sins. The cross is the focal point, not the believer's initial repentance. After baptism, we have to repent for restoration of fellowship, not restoration of familial position.
Rom 3:24-26
24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
(KJV)

It's very simple, why are you trying to make it difficult? That phrase "the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" IS about the forgiveness of sins. That's what the idea of redemption is all about, being redeemed through forgiveness of sins. That's what the idea of "remission of sins" is about.

It is MOST DEFINITELY about an individual's sins being forgiven by Christ's Blood shed on the cross through Faith on Him.

That starts at a person's belief on His death and resurrection and being baptized in His Name. For the dead, i.e., the "spirits in prison" that He preached The Gospel to per 1 Peter 3-4 and Isaiah 42, they only had to believe and He led them out of the prison house.

What it is NOT about, is some vain idea that Christ's death on the cross simply ended only penalties of sin done prior to His death on the cross. IF that were true then ONLY the Old Testament saints could be saved, and none after that point! CHECK your doctrine to discover who it's coming from, for it is not from Christ Jesus in His Word.

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
veteran said:
Rom 3:24-26
24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
(KJV)

It's very simple, why are you trying to make it difficult? That phrase "the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" IS about the forgiveness of sins. That's what the idea of redemption is all about, being redeemed through forgiveness of sins. That's what the idea of "remission of sins" is about.

It is MOST DEFINITELY about an individual's sins being forgiven by Christ's Blood shed on the cross through Faith on Him.

That starts at a person's belief on His death and resurrection and being baptized in His Name. For the dead, i.e., the "spirits in prison" that He preached The Gospel to per 1 Peter 3-4 and Isaiah 42, they only had to believe and He led them out of the prison house.

What it is NOT about, is some vain idea that Christ's death on the cross simply ended only penalties of sin done prior to His death on the cross. IF that were true then ONLY the Old Testament saints could be saved, and none after that point! CHECK your doctrine to discover who it's coming from, for it is not from Christ Jesus in His Word.

Those who believe that future sins are forgiven in advance are forced to explain Rom 3:25 as meaning something other than what it plainly states.

PAST SINS.

God deals with individuals in the present, not 2000 years ago.

Repentance is for remission VIA the blood.

The Bible does not teach that future sins are forgiven in advance. That view is a resultant necessity of Penal Substitition where "past/present/future" were credited to Jesus whereby He was punished for them all. If the punishment (wrath substitution) has already been meted out then by necessity future sins are already forgiven in advance.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
Those who believe that future sins are forgiven in advance are forced to explain Rom 3:25 as meaning something other than what it plainly states.
PAST SINS.
The Bible does not teach that future sins are forgiven in advance. That view is a resultant necessity of Penal Substitition where "past/present/future" were credited to Jesus whereby He was punished for them all. If the punishment (wrath substitution) has already been meted out then by necessity future sins are already forgiven in advance.
"Sins forgiven in advance" is just a deceitful, manipulative catchphrase designed to condemn those who don't follow your cult's teachings. While you may feel that Romans 3:25 is the definitive verse that validates your doctrine, it isn't because you really don't understand it. The word past refers to that which occurred before the cross, not the day of Scott's repentance. In other words, the penalties that were due before the cross are now passed over in the forbearance of GOD for all those who believe in their hearts that the justice due them was satisfied by Christ's sacrifice on their behalf. That is grace. You, one the other hand, place the focus on the individual (instead of the cross), and falsely witness that only his sins before repentance are forgiven. That is unscriptural nonsense.

What you so far have been unable to explain is Christ our Passover, who abides a priest continually with his blood sprinkled on the mercy seat. On the day of atonement the high priest entered the holiest pace to atone for the sins of Israel (not individuals). That atonement for the body of Christ is happening at this moment, and will continue to happen until the last son of GOD is baptized into the body and the lord emerges from the temple. Anyone who has participated in Christ our Passover has been baptized into that body and benefits from this eternal atonement. Whether one truly and continually places faith in that atonement that enables him to remain in the body is another story.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
ScottAU said:

PAST SINS.

I agree 100%.

Now, go back and carefully read what I wrote to ChristRoseFromTheDead.

Per Rom.3:25 and 1 John 1, Christ expects us to continue to repent and ask Him forgiveness of sins we may commit in the future after our first belief and baptism. The OSAS doctrine of devils is against any idea of future repentance.

And it's easy to know the OSAS doctrine of devils being taught today is against God's Word, for the very prayer our Lord Jesus gave to His disciples and us to pray INCLUDES a petition for forgiveness of sins ("forgive us our sins" - Luke 11).

And especially, Holy Communion with Christ Jesus is about joining with Him, repenting and asking forgiveness of Him!

That's how easy it is to know OSAS doctrine being taught today is a vile dung designed to make the brethren stray from Christ.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
veteran said:
I didn't say Christ's death was only for penalties of sins done before the cross. I did say (or meant to say) that the penalties themselves of sin that were instituted as law before the cross are now passed over (due to the cross) in the forbearance of GOD.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
I didn't say Christ's death was only for penalties of sins done before the cross. I did say (or meant to say) that the penalties themselves of sin that were instituted as law before the cross are now passed over (due to the cross) in the forbearance of GOD.
Oh, but yes you did... say that VERY idea.

You said and I quote, "That passage you are referring to is Roman's 3:25, which states that the former penalties of sin that occurred before the cross are now being passed over through the blood of the lamb. It is not referring to an individual's past sins."

The Rom.3:25 verse definitely is not about your idea of, "former penalties of sin that occurred before the cross... not referring to an individual's past sins".

And if you truly read and heed what Apostle John said in 1 Jonn 1, which is said to believers on Christ and not to unbelievers, then there is no way around our required continued repentance and asking The Father through His Son forgiveness of our future sins we may commit.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
veteran said:
I agree 100%.

Now, go back and carefully read what I wrote to ChristRoseFromTheDead.

Per Rom.3:25 and 1 John 1, Christ expects us to continue to repent and ask Him forgiveness of sins we may commit in the future after our first belief and baptism. The OSAS doctrine of devils is against any idea of future repentance.

And it's easy to know the OSAS doctrine of devils being taught today is against God's Word, for the very prayer our Lord Jesus gave to His disciples and us to pray INCLUDES a petition for forgiveness of sins ("forgive us our sins" - Luke 11).

And especially, Holy Communion with Christ Jesus is about joining with Him, repenting and asking forgiveness of Him!

That's how easy it is to know OSAS doctrine being taught today is a vile dung designed to make the brethren stray from Christ.
You use fairly strong language, yet you do not support your words with scripture. How do you explain this?

Psalm 89:30
30 If his children forsake my law,
And walk not in my judgments;
31 If they break my statutes,
And keep not my commandments;
32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod,
And their iniquity with stripes.
33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him,
Nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
34 My covenant will I not break,
Nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness
That I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure for ever,
And his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon,
And as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
justaname said:
You use fairly strong language, yet you do not support your words with scripture. How do you explain this?

Psalm 89:30
30 If his children forsake my law,
And walk not in my judgments;
31 If they break my statutes,
And keep not my commandments;
32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod,
33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him,
Nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
34 My covenant will I not break,
Nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness
That I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure for ever,
And his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon,
And as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.
Try reading Luke 11 like I pointed to, or did you intentionally SKIP over that?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
veteran said:
Try reading Luke 11 like I pointed to, or did you intentionally SKIP over that?
Luke 11 does not explain this portion of scripture.
Psalm 89:30-37

Luke 11 serves for an example for those who are saved to pray to the Father.

Who says those who are saved don't pray to God? Who is to say those who are saved don't ask for forgiveness?

John 10:26
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

Let me again say, Christians do not have license to sin. All will give an account (Romans 14:12, 2 Corinthians 5:10, Matthew 12:36)

Psalm 89:29
29 “So I will establish his descendants forever
And his throne as the days of heaven.
30 “If his sons forsake My law
And do not walk in My judgments,
31 If they violate My statutes
And do not keep My commandments,
32 Then I will punish their transgression with the rod
33 “But I will not break off My lovingkindness from him,
Nor deal falsely in My faithfulness.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
justaname said:
Luke 11 does not explain this portion of scripture.
Psalm 89:30-37

Luke 11 serves for an example for those who are saved to pray to the Father.

Who says those who are saved don't pray to God? Who is to say those who are saved don't ask for forgiveness?

John 10:26
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

Let me again say, Christians do not have license to sin. All will give an account (Romans 14:12, 2 Corinthians 5:10, Matthew 12:36)

Psalm 89:29
29 “So I will establish his descendants forever
And his throne as the days of heaven.
30 “If his sons forsake My law
And do not walk in My judgments,
31 If they violate My statutes
And do not keep My commandments,
32 Then I will punish their transgression with the rod
33 “But I will not break off My lovingkindness from him,
Nor deal falsely in My faithfulness.
Are you without ears? What part of Luke 11 with our Lord Jesus telling us HOW to pray including asking forgiveness of sins don't you understand?

You even... showed how that prayer is for believers, meaning AFTER... they had already come to Christ and believed!

That means FUTURE repentance for sins AFTER... having come to Christ and been baptized, which is the direct OPPOSITE of the OSAS doctrines of men!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
veteran said:
Are you without ears? What part of Luke 11 with our Lord Jesus telling us HOW to pray including asking forgiveness of sins don't you understand?

You even... showed how that prayer is for believers, meaning AFTER... they had already come to Christ and believed!

That means FUTURE repentance for sins AFTER... having come to Christ and been baptized, which is the direct OPPOSITE of the OSAS doctrines of men!
None of this goes against the perseverance of the saints as you suggest. Perhaps you are misled as to just what the doctrine is, and what it means.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
justaname said:
None of this goes against the perseverance of the saints as you suggest. Perhaps you are misled as to just what the doctrine is, and what it means.
I well understand what today's teachings of OSAS means. It's been pushed on this forum quite a lot too.

It teaches that at our belief on Christ and repentance and baptism, from that point forward that we no longer sin, and thus have no future need... to ask Christ forgiveness of our future sins.

That's a doctrine of devils and is very un-Biblical.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
I have a tough / simple question that I am really battling to answer from a non OSAS point of view. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Question: If the thief on the cross next to Jesus can get saved in an instant without being tested with any trials and tribulations, why would Jesus not take us who are likewise saved, before we come close to losing our salvation? How does God remain impartial if He doesn't? Surely God knows He takes a risk with us going evil by using / keeping us on an evil earth.. making us 'more deserving' of heaven even if we go back to the world?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
KingJ said:
I have a tough / simple question that I am really battling to answer from a non OSAS point of view. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Question: If the thief on the cross next to Jesus can get saved in an instant without being tested with any trials and tribulations, why would Jesus not take us who are likewise saved, before we come close to losing our salvation? How does God remain impartial if He doesn't? Surely God knows He takes a risk with us going evil by using / keeping us on an evil earth.. making us 'more deserving' of heaven even if we go back to the world?
In other words, why should the malefactor crucified with Jesus be given the easy way out? Insert the parable of the prodigal son, and parable of the labourers in the field here as part of the answer.

The point is not that we can ever be perfect without sin while here. The point is what's our relationship with The LORD while we are here. Who do we serve?

If our Heavenly Father didn't already know about our shortcomings in the flesh He would not have provided His Son for sacrifice for us. But His offer to us is not going to be mocked, nor made a mockery of by us just because He gave us The Way to repent and make amends, renewing our relationship with Him.

When we mess up with sin, He may forgive if we repent, but it doesn't mean we can always escape the consequences.

The thief on the cross no doubt already had plenty of scars (I speak of mental and spiritual scars mainly). He repented, Jesus forgave, just as He will do for each one of us that strays and then returns to Him, asking Him forgiveness.

There's only one sin our Lord Jesus said would NOT be forgiven. That's blasphemy against The Holy Spirit. I believe that His elect only can commit that particular sin. One of His that is given to experience, i.e., given proof beyond any doubt, of the world to come and its gifts, is without excuse if they turn away from Him and to the devil instead.

The really important matter is not to beat ourselves up because we find ourselves doing little sins at times. Pull yourself back up, repent and ask forgiveness of our Lord Jesus, and get back on track with serving Him.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Thanks for reply Veteran. I agree with all you wrote but still battling to see how God remains impartial.

The parable of the prodigal son and the helpers in the field doesn't really apply as when in heaven there is no leaving God.

In an attempt to make it simpler (for me)....Person A and B both have contrite hearts / broken spirits and both get saved. Person A dies immediately and goes straight to heaven. Person B stays behind and works for God. By staying behind / being left behind however he runs the risk of 'staying behind' permanently even after doing more then person A in having worked for God :unsure:?

I am happy for person A! No jealousy. I do not doubt God is impartial and good. I do not doubt that we as saved Christians can make shipwreck of our salvation. But how exactly does God remain impartial in that situation?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
veteran said:
I well understand what today's teachings of OSAS means. It's been pushed on this forum quite a lot too.

It teaches that at our belief on Christ and repentance and baptism, from that point forward that we no longer sin, and thus have no future need... to ask Christ forgiveness of our future sins.

That's a doctrine of devils and is very un-Biblical.
You are mistaken on exactly what the doctrine is. Perhaps others may have a perverted view on what the doctrine is and you have discussed the topic, but I assure you it is not what you believe it to be.

The perseverance of the saints means that all those who are truly born again will be kept by God’s power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives, and that only those who persevere until the end have been truly born again.
Wayne Grudem from Systematic Theology (pg. 788)

If our religion be of our own getting or making, it will perish; and the sooner it goes, the better; but if our religion is a matter of God's giving, we know that He shall never take back what He gives, and that, if He has commenced to work in us by His grace, He will never leave it unfinished.
C.H. Spurgeon

For non-reformed theologies..."at the end of the day, the security of the believer finally rests with the believer. For those in the opposite camp [Reformed], the security of the believer finally rests with God -- and that, I suggest, rightly taught, draws the believer back to God himself, to trust in God, to a renewed faith that is of a piece with trusting him in the first place."
D.A. Carson

When we speak of “once saved, always saved,” we are not taking into account the full scope of salvation. We have been saved (justification), was are being saved (sanctified), and we will one day be saved (glorified). You cannot claim to have been “saved” (justified) unless you are being sanctified. Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord.
Michael Horton from Putting the Amazing Back into Grace (pg. 171)

Perseverance may be defined as that continuous operation of the Holy Spirit in the believer, by which the work of divine grace that is begun in the heart is continued and brought to competition. It is because God never forsakes His work that believers continue to stand to the very end.
Louis Berkhof from Systematic Theology (pg. 546)

Perseverance of the saints is the biblical doctrine that God infallibly preserves in faith all of those he has given to the Son (John 6:37, 39, 44, 63-65) so that they are never lost. It maintains that none who are truly redeemed by Christ can be condemned for their sins or finally fall away from the faith. For as the apostle Paul states in Philippians 1:6, “I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”
Monergism.com
Axehead said:
Why does Paul plead with the Saints to sin not, rather than believing they are Unbelievers who need to get saved in the first place?

Why does Paul weep with tears over the Saints who are caught up in sin. Shouldn't he relax and just assume they are unbelievers and preach the Gospel to them?

At what point do you stop believing someone was saved and stop ministering and praying for them?

If saints need deliverance, they must be unsaved, right?

Nice doctrine. Let's just associate ourselves with those who DO NOT SIN, because we all know that when we are born-again, we are instantly mature.
I believe you have the same twisted view of the doctrine as Veteran.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
King J - WHEN a person dies, then God will determine if that person is "saved" enough to go to Heaven.
To make the claim - "I am saved therefore I WILL be going to Heaven" states that a person is equal to God to be able to determine that person's worthiness of going to Heaven.
I, for one, will NEVER make the claim that I am equal to God - and THAT is what the OSAS doctrine says - I am equal to God. I will determine my own worthiness of going to Heaven no matter how much that I sin.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
John S said:
To make the claim - "I am saved therefore I WILL be going to Heaven" states that a person is equal to God to be able to determine that person's worthiness of going to Heaven.
No it doesn't mean that at all. It means someone is taking GOD at his word.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
justaname said:
You are mistaken on exactly what the doctrine is. Perhaps others may have a perverted view on what the doctrine is and you have discussed the topic, but I assure you it is not what you believe it to be.

Before you get ahead of yourself, let's find out...

The perseverance of the saints means that all those who are truly born again will be kept by God’s power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives, and that only those who persevere until the end have been truly born again.
Wayne Grudem from Systematic Theology (pg. 788)

That's pointing to the concept of Calvinism, that those saved are under predesinted fate, and not under their own free will. It is only an excuse to declare that one who once believed falls away from Christ was never... a real believer on Him in the first place. Once again, that is the idea of fate, and not the responsibility of the individual to make a 'choice'.
Further, the idea of persevering there is being used against the idea of the next quote...

If our religion be of our own getting or making, it will perish; and the sooner it goes, the better; but if our religion is a matter of God's giving, we know that He shall never take back what He gives, and that, if He has commenced to work in us by His grace, He will never leave it unfinished.
C.H. Spurgeon

Though I don't like his terminology, I get his point, but he's also pointing to predestined fate and not free will choice. It is free will choice by which one must accept Christ, and it is free willl choice for a believer that later decides to reject Him. Spurgeon's idea leaves no room for the latter, except only to say Christ's grace never was at work with the one who later fell away.
The fact that our Lord Jesus said all manner of sin can be forgiven of men, except for the unpardonable sin, Spurgeon leaves NO room even for the existence of the unpardonable sin, a sin which points to a believer that once tasted of the gifts and power of the world to come through Christ Jesus, but then rejects Him later (Hebrews 5 & 6).

For non-reformed theologies..."at the end of the day, the security of the believer finally rests with the believer. For those in the opposite camp [Reformed], the security of the believer finally rests with God -- and that, I suggest, rightly taught, draws the believer back to God himself, to trust in God, to a renewed faith that is of a piece with trusting him in the first place."
D.A. Carson

Throw away his argument of non-reformed vs reformed; that idea is irrelevant. Carson likewise is saying the same things as the previous quotes, i.e., Salvation is assured because it rest with God, and not with the believer. Once again that's Calvinism's idea of predestination fate, i.e., a true believer won't fall away because God won't allow it. That's NOT what God's Word teaches at all though.
It's these kind of concepts that cause the erroneous idea that Faith and actions by the believer under God's Grace has no effect upon their salvation. It's what leads to the false idea that one within this fold can no longer be subject to sin. That has lead in later years to the preaching that these cannot sin, and thus the Once Saved Aways Saved doctrine of men
Am I showing that I don't understand the OSAS doctrine? You'd be very wrong if you thought so.

I don't know if you will understand the following. But I'm going to say it anyway.
Apostle Paul spoke of the idea of predestination especially within the Romans 8 chapter which is on a different type admonition than many of his other admonitions to the Churches. In many of his Epistles he is continually warning brethren to not sin, warning them to remain focused in Christ, work out their own salvation, etc., and especially beware of allowing any man to deceive them.
Now if Apostle Paul's teaching truly aligned with the Calvinist traditions of those above quotes, then Paul would have had no need to do such admonishing of the brethren to stay in Christ and not fall away like he did.
But notice how the Rom.8 Scripture reads differently...

Rom 8:28-31
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.
29 For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
(KJV)

Well, did even Apostle Paul forget about Christ's Own Words about the unpardonable sin? Did Paul also forget about Christ saying many are called but few are chosen? Did Paul also forget about our Lord's warnings about the five foolish virgins, and those of Matt.7 that cast out devils in His Name and have many wonderful works in His Name, but Christ tells to get away from Him when He comes?
Here Paul is getting ready to leave the brethren, and he warns them to take heed, because after his departing he knew wolves would come in not sparing the flock.

Acts 20:27-31
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
(KJV)

In his Epistle to Timothy, Paul also warns how the time would come when some would not endure sound doctrine and turn away from the truth (2 Tim.4).
Does that mean those believers never were actually offered true Salvation through Christ Jesus? No, of course not.
The difference is spelled out in John 17 with what our Lord Jesus prayed. Revealed there are two groups, one being His elect 'chosen' servants The Father owned and gave to Christ. The other group are those who would come to believe on Christ Jesus through His elect's word (i.e., their preaching of The Gospel). The first group, like Christ's Apostles, are 'called' and... 'chosen', and the second group of believers are 'called' only.
I assure you, Apostle Paul understood this distinction between two groups of believers on our Lord Jesus. When Paul was continually admonishing the brethren in the Churches to watch and remain spritiually sober, he knew he was speaking to those 'called' only that can... by their own free will... choose to fall away from Christ. That's why those need continual admonishing to stay in Christ Jesus in order to become joined with His elect 'chosen'.
Christ's chosen sent elect cannot... be swayed to fall away from Christ Jesus.

John 17:5-10
5 And now, O Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine Own self with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.
6 I have manifested Thy name unto the men which Thou gavest Me out of the world: Thine they were, and Thou gavest them Me; and they have kept Thy word.
7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever Thou hast given Me are of Thee.
8 For I have given unto them the words which Thou gavest Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from Thee, and they have believed that Thou didst send Me.
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine.
10 And all Mine are Thine, and Thine are Mine; and I am glorified in them.
(KJV)

That's ownership, about Christ's elect that belonged to The Father Who gave them to Christ. Apostle Paul was one of those. The example of Christ intervening directly with Paul to put him in His service is an example of this ownership of His elect 'chosen' sent ones.
Those are especially who the Romans 8 Scripture is about, the truly predestinated, sanctified, and glorified, the chosen elect.
But here's about the rest of us who are 'called' only...

John 17:18-21
18 As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent Me.
(KJV)

The meaing of the word apostle from the Greek means to be 'sent'. Christ's 'chosen' elect are 'sent' by Him into this world, even as The Father 'sent' Christ into the world. That's about ownership again.
Those of us who come to believe on Jesus through the word of His elect Apostles are 'called', not 'sent', but 'called' only. We must... by our OWN free will... seek to stay in Christ Jesus. We CAN still fall away from Christ IF we are not careful.
But what Calvin, et al did was to take Scripture like Romans 8 which is especially about the chosen elect of Christ that can NEVER fall away, they took that idea and wrongly began applying it to the whole Church on earth, making it as if it were impossible for a believer to lose their salvation, nor able to fall away from our Lord Jesus Christ. Yet Christ's Apostles continually warned brethren about abiding in fleshy lusts and sin to their destruction if they didn't repent and make a change. That is how the OSAS doctrine started.