The Doctrine of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Richard, not only did I not say that I "never sin", if you've been paying attention to the thread, you would know that I actually described how I did sin and left my faith for a man.
Now, you have transgressed the law, in that you have born false witness against your neighbor...namely me. You have sinned.
But, hey, no problem, right? So you lied about me, so what? You are "saved", so your lie doesn't matter.

Now, me...I would have had to repent. But there ya go...there's the difference.
Show me where I said ""you said you never sin"". I said with the attitude that others are sinning then you must think you never sin." There is a difference but you must not be able to see it. What you just said did not acknowledge that you still sin in the flesh everyday. If leaves one with the impression that was a sin of the past but now you no longer sin.

I am not going to be baited into a personal argument with you.

Dave24

Sep 5, 2015
The Barrd, i agree with what you say about this topic. Reason i agree is because it's what the bible teaches. It doesn't seem like the others here "get it". God set one "law" for Adam and Eve, obviously they were His people! He told them what the result would be if they committed that "sin". Satan said the opposite... We all know what happened to them. Same for us, we decide to serve God and follow His commandments. We will always sin, but there are sin's that will cause us to lose our chance of everlasting life (same as Adam and Eve). Even God's sons the angels sinned so they also have "laws" and they also get punished for sinning....

Satan tried to get Job to sin against God, but he failed. Job stayed loyal to God and he was rewarded then and he most likely will be rewarded during the resurrection.

We try our best and then still maybe we will find favour from God.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Dave24 said:
The Barrd, i agree with what you say about this topic. Reason i agree is because it's what the bible teaches. It doesn't seem like the others here "get it". God set one "law" for Adam and Eve, obviously they were His people! He told them what the result would be if they committed that "sin". Satan said the opposite... We all know what happened to them. Same for us, we decide to serve God and follow His commandments. We will always sin, but there are sin's that will cause us to lose our chance of everlasting life (same as Adam and Eve). Even God's sons the angels sinned so they also have "laws" and they also get punished for sinning....

Satan tried to get Job to sin against God, but he failed. Job stayed loyal to God and he was rewarded then and he most likely will be rewarded during the resurrection.

We try our best and then still maybe we will find favour from God.
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, David. I really needed to hear those words this morning.
I mean, I knew that someone who tried to tell the truth as Jesus told it would not be popular...but all these attacks are still kind of difficult to take...

Frankly, I am amazed to find so many OSASers in this forum. It is not widely taught. It never existed before John Calvin, and I had been under the impression that most Christians understood that he was a heretic.
Yes, Dave, there are many, many examples in the Bible of people who fell from grace.
If OSAS were actually true, why bother studying to show oneself approved? Why bother to search the scriptures to see what things are so? Why bother to test the spirits to see if they come from God?
I just can't seem to get through to them, though.
Gotta hand it to ol' Satan....he's done a very thorough job on them. More's the pity...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
H. Richard said:
Show me where I said ""you said you never sin"". I said with the attitude that others are sinning then you must think you never sin." There is a difference but you must not be able to see it. What you just said did not acknowledge that you still sin in the flesh everyday. If leaves one with the impression that was a sin of the past but now you no longer sin.

I am not going to be baited into a personal argument with you.
Then leave my name out of your mouth, and we'll get along just fine.
All have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God.
I know that "all" includes me...and it includes you, too.
Now, I know enough to repent of my sins....every day. I don't expect to be able to continue in my sin and still go to heaven.
I heartily suggest you do the same. You have judged someone you have no business to judge.

You can call that a "personal argument" if you want to...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
brakelite said:
Au contraire, I quite frankly couldn't be bothered with a response...I didnt think I could express the truth well enough to do what Jesus did for me justice.
You have told it like it is, and I couldn't have done it better.
Thank you, my brother, but I still think you are much better at this than I am.
You are right about one thing, though.
There are no words to express my gratitude for what Jesus has done for me.
This "writer" just doesn't have the ability to express all that is in her heart....

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
Funny you continue to preach no one knows the heart except God, yet you judge me here.
No, Justaname. I am not trying to judge your heart. Only your experience.

I will have to remember to come out of the ivy covered halls this weekend when I am ministering in the women's prison. Perhaps next weekend at the soup kitchen I should reread this post, or the following weekend when I am witnessing on the streets downtown. Or maybe the next time I am speaking the gospel to one of my customers, or ministering to one of my employees, or sharing Christ over lunch with a family of Hindus I should try to remember to come out of the ivy halls. Yeah I have to really let this point of yours sink in.
My, you are a busy fella. All of this, and your religious studies too.
And yet you find time to be on the internet, for hours every day.
Amazing.

Ok full stop here...you continually preach about keeping Jesus' commands yet you speak against this?
I definitely am against spreading this very obviously false doctrine, yes.

Matthew 6:27
"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?

Matthew 6:34
34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

or God's command through Paul.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
I have no idea why you posted these verses. They have nothing to do with our conversation at all.

I have no idea where you get this notion except in your imagination. This you continually spread your lies about. No one I have ever met teaches this. This is your false witness. What will be taught is God keeps His own. To work out, not work for, your salvation with fear and trembling...
You honestly cannot see that the obvious conclusion of your OSAS doctrine is that our sin cannot separate us from God? You honestly cannot see how this might encourage a person to indulge in his or her sin, believing that since he is saved, God will still accept him or her? You truly do not see the danger here.
Amazing....

But we don't leave it there because God didn't either!

for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

It is God working His will in you! Yet you ignore this portion...
Nobody is arguing that point. However, we can walk away from God. All through the Bible, people did it, and they are still doing it today.

And again I have already proven salvation is presented through Scripture as a past, present, and future event. The picture you are painting is from your imagination.
I contend that salvation was finished at the cross. It is done. The gift is paid for.
All that remains is for us to accept it or reject it.
Your idea that God directs our every thought is obviously false.

Yet lets look at the facts...
The vast majority of the Church teaches the ability to lose your salvation with Roman Catholicism and Easter Orthodox creating far over half the Church. Only a small percentage of Protestant denominations actually hold to the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints, so your claim of this doctrine creating the condition of the Church today is completely false.
You're right. There is obviously more at work than this doctrine.
However, I live in a small town where one of the main denominations is Southern Baptist. And I know too many people, as I have said, who think that because they are "saved" that God will overlook their sin. That is a fact.
I can see how the doctrine could be very popular....but that doesn't make it true.
'

We can still look at the Southern Baptists you said I should visit...

Equal percentages of Southern Baptist pastors identify their congregations as Calvinist (30%) or Arminian (30%), according to LifeWay Research.
Jeremy Weber [ POSTED 6/19/2012 03:33PM ]

So again this shows your contentions are completely false...

Oh and no one ever gives permission to sin, this is another false witness.
I believe Lori says it better than I could:

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/lori.htm

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

This is the context you ripped that idea from. It is speaking about suffering for Christ's namesake...
It very plainly says that judgment begins in the house of God.

I would say yes. If you remember Christ is building His Church to be blameless and spotless. Are you saying He is failing at this purpose of His?
Do you think that you are "blameless and spotless"? I'm curious to know just how "perfect" you think you are. Brakelite and I both revealed sinful episodes in our lives. Are we the only sinners here?
My Bible says that Jesus Christ came to save sinners.
How sayest thou?

Yes this is a bleak outlook. Perhaps you should go preach this beautiful message to the underground Church in China. Maybe you should preach this to the would be martyrs in the Middle East. No wait go tell this to all the evangelist missionaries throughout the world.
Again no one teaches that sin does not separate you from God. All sin is contrary to our relationship with God. This is your false witness...
Why do you think the church in China is underground? Or why is there severe persecution in the Middle East?
Do you think all those evangelist missionaries are teaching their converts that they cannot lose their salvation?

I do understand no amount of evidence or conversation will convince you of the truth. You have already made that point clear in previous posts. This still is no excuse for your false witness.
Now, that is exactly what I am saying to you.

EDIT:
Let me add that I think we are done here.
There is no point in continuing this discussion between you and I any further.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Frankly, I am amazed to find so many OSASers in this forum. It is not widely taught. It never existed before John Calvin, and I had been under the impression that most Christians understood that he was a heretic.
Barrd, I really hate to knit pick on whatmight be considered a small Iissue, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I've mentuoned this before, and will do so again: John Calvin did not start the OSAS doctrine, and in fact said many things against it. Among them the often quoted, "grace doesn't give you a license to sin. "

He wrongly gets credit for OSAS because in one of his 30 -40 books he wrote 3 chapters on predestination, which in fact is in the bible, and I know you are aware of it. 3 chapters out of literally thousands!

What is possibly true is that some of his followers started the doctrine (based on those three chapters) some time after his death and even longer after his retirement. So if people call it "calvinism" its wrong, but I can tolorate it. He probably would be upset at such a term. Martin Luther had the same problem of followers running amuck with his teaching.

So for what cause or what teaching do you call him a heretic? What exactly is he wrong about? There are reasons I don't like him and maybe they would earn him that title, but they aren't related to this conversation.

You appear to be upset at personal attacks. Well, don't make them on Calvin, especially when they are done out of ignorance.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Then leave my name out of your mouth, and we'll get along just fine.
All have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God.
I know that "all" includes me...and it includes you, too.
Now, I know enough to repent of my sins....every day. I don't expect to be able to continue in my sin and still go to heaven.
I heartily suggest you do the same. You have judged someone you have no business to judge.

You can call that a "personal argument" if you want to...
The scriptures state that when Jesus shed His blood on the cross it paid for the sins of the whole world. I understand that all my sins have been paid for. Since they are already paid for Jesus does not have to pay for them again.

Why do people today deny that Jesus' work on the cross was final by saying they are required to do some action to keep it in force? The only sin that condemns people today is the sin of unbelief, (to not believe Jesus' shed blood has paid for their sins of the flesh). If a person believes they have a sin that is not paid for then they do no believe His shed blood has paid for their sin and are in a state of unbelief.

No argument, just stating what I see as the truth.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
Barrd, I really hate to knit pick on whatmight be considered a small Iissue, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I've mentuoned this before, and will do so again: John Calvin did not start the OSAS doctrine, and in fact said many things against it. Among them the often quoted, "grace doesn't give you a license to sin. "

He wrongly gets credit for OSAS because in one of his 30 -40 books he wrote 3 chapters on predestination, which in fact is in the bible, and I know you are aware of it. 3 chapters out of literally thousands!

What is possibly true is that some of his followers started the doctrine (based on those three chapters) some time after his death and even longer after his retirement. So if people call it "calvinism" its wrong, but I can tolorate it. He probably would be upset at such a term. Martin Luther had the same problem of followers running amuck with his teaching.

So for what cause or what teaching do you call him a heretic? What exactly is he wrong about? There are reasons I don't like him and maybe they would earn him that title, but they aren't related to this conversation.

You appear to be upset at personal attacks. Well, don't make them on Calvin, especially when they are done out of ignorance.
According to Paul's writings OSAS started with his gospel of grace that was given to him by Jesus.

Those saved under grace know the sinful condition of their flesh and know that they can not change it. These are the ones that truly know how wonderful His gift is to sinful mankind. They know that they have been set free. What have they been set free of? Their sinful flesh.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
H. Richard said:
The scriptures state that when Jesus shed His blood on the cross it paid for the sins of the whole world. I understand that all my sins have been paid for. Since they are already paid for Jesus does not have to pay for them again.

Why do people today deny that Jesus' work on the cross was final by saying they are required to do some action to keep it in force? The only sin that condemns people today is the sin of unbelief, (to not believe Jesus' shed blood has paid for their sins of the flesh). If a person believes they have a sin that is not paid for then they do no believe His shed blood has paid for their sin and are in a state of unbelief.

I've asked NON-OSAS multiple upon multipe times what "enter my rest" means here, and still no answer. We enter His rest by believing Heb 4:3 ESV...

Rom 11:20 NIV Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

Rom 11:23 NIV And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Heb 3:16-19 NIV Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Heb 4:3 ESV For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
H. Richard said:

I think we understand Christ's finished work on the cross just a bit differently.
Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, not just a few. There are several scriptures that tell us this, but the most famous is, of course, John 3:16. I'm sure I don't have to quote it here....most of us know it by heart.
But if God loves the whole world, then how could anyone believe that He actually creates people for the sole purpose of sending them to hell?

But I digress. As you say, the gift is paid for. It is presented to the whole world.
Now, it is up to us to accept it, or not.
Christ's work is finished. Done. Over with. He sat down at the right hand of the Father...

This continuing salvation just doesn't work. Once you've accepted that great gift, it is up to you to keep it. Jesus is not going to interfere in your free will. And people have and will continue to walk away.

You can deny that all you want to, but it is true, all the same.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
This continuing salvation just doesn't work. Once you've accepted that great gift, it is up to you to keep it.
If it's up to us to keep it then Jesus didn't die for all sins. You don't make sense Barrd.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:

Why do people today deny that Jesus' work on the cross was final by saying they are required to do some action to keep it in force?

That sins have been paid for only means Jesus can forgive us when we repent. If we don't repent, there is no forgiving. That's how it works. There is no such thing as a one time repentance that works for all future sins. You have to repent as often as you sin or as often as you remember to.

Rev_2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

If what you claim is true, Jesus wouldn't have to tell Christians to repent....their sins would already be forgiven yet Jesus does tell them to repent meaning they sinned and the sins weren't forgiven....they have to repent to be forgiven.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Jesus is removing the fallen (church) out of its high place. Candlestick represents a group of people, not the Holy Spirit. For example, it's not saying God will remove the Holy Spirit from your body, rather it's saying God will remove the church as a people from your pride because they chose not to love Rev 2:4 NIV. The Gospel is of love, not religion folks. It's not talking about individual salvation, rather a group of people..

κινεῖν τήν λυχνίαν τίνος (ἐκκλησίας) ἐκ τοῦ τόπου αὐτῆς, to move a church out of the place which it has hitherto held among the churches; to take it out of the number of churches, remove it altogether, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent; or thee out of the candlestick, the pastor from the church, either by persecution or by death; or else the church, and church state itself, signified by a candlestick;

To be victorious, one would have to believe and trust in Jesus Christ as their savior Rom 10:9-10 NIV, 1 John 5:4-5 NIV. Many will not believe that Jesus died for all their sins...Rev 2:7 NIV Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

B

brakelite

The Barrd said:
Perhaps you need to come out of the shelter of ivy covered halls, and into the real world.
Attend a few Southern Baptist churches. Get to know some real, down to earth people. You know...fishermen, carpenters, boxboys, waitresses...those kinds of people.
The experience might teach you more than one of your professors.

Meantime, stop and think for a minute. I mean really think.
You tell Joe Ordinary that he need not worry about his salvation, because once he was saved, he cannot lose that salvation. All that guff about working out your salvation in fear and trembling, or obeying God's commands...forget about that. Your saved now....you were pre-chosen from the foundation of the world....

Now, Joe is a good guy...but he is not perfect. And you just gave him permission to sin. I know, you don't see it that way...but Joe...well, he works hard, but he's still up to his neck in bills, and his wife doesn't appreciate him, and his kids have reached that rebellious teen ager state....and he's tired and bored and feeling old, used, and unloved, like so many people in his situation.
And you just took some pressure off...
C'mon, we aren't stupid. What do you think is going to happen now?

Now, multiply Joe by several million, and what do you see? Why...you see the miserable state the church of God has gotten to. You see ministers who will freely admit that they don't believe half the stuff they are preaching, but it's an easy job, and it pays the bills. You see churches that are overflowing with sin...everything from people lighting up their cigarettes right after their Sunday service is over, all the way to homosexual people who are living together in a shameful sham of marriage and calling themselves "holy"...and just about everything in between. It wouldn't surprise me to find people married to their step mothers...I actually know of one case where a young woman is having an affair with her step father...they intend to marry as soon as the divorce is final, and, they want me to know that it is not a sin to fall in love. After all, this is the 21st century, not the dark ages, and besides...they are both saved.
We as Christians deplore the state of the world...and well we should.
But let me whisper a little secret into your ear, Justaname.
God's judgment doesn't begin with the world. It begins with the church. Have we been the light of the world, as we were instructed to be?
Have we lit the way to Christ...have we shined His light into the dark places, revealing the truth of sin, and what it causes?
Seems to me that our light has all but gone out.
Have we been the salt of the earth, as we were instructed, keeping it from corruption?
I'd say the salt has lost it's savor.
Now, perhaps this doctrine of demons that you guys call OSAS is not the only problem, but it is a problem. You can't tell sinful human beings that their salvation is secure, and that further sin will not separate them from God without expecting them to take you at your word...which means that iniquity is going to abound, and the love of many will wax cold...
Barrd, please stop telling everyone how eloquent I am. How could anyone have written the above any better?

B

brakelite

i will add...there are charges made against non-osas that we believe that those who do advocate osas also advocate that osas gives license to sin. That is not necessarily true. I have read from you fellas that you do not advocate any license to sin, and I believe you. After all, who am I that I should call you liars? However, what you do say is the following, although perhaps in not like words....
it does not matter if a Christian transgresses God's laws...he will go to heaven regardless....now irrespective of the reasons for taking that stance, (the law nailed to the cross...a Christian cannot sin etc etc) the result of anyone hearing that teaching will inevitably lead to a reduction in their abhorrence of sin. I cannot support any idea that God would sanction such a doctrine, nor allow such a doctrine to become a reality or truth, for it was sin that cost Him the life of His Son. It was sin that divided heaven. It was sin that brought death, suffering, pain, illness, and all manner of violence and corruption to the world that prompted Him to destroy all of it in a flood. It was sin that brought the downfall of humanity after the flood. It was sin that inspired man to believe that without God and without obedience, he could attain to salvation and immortality. And it is sin today that will be the ultimate cause for the final destruction of the wicked when Christ returns. It is this final destruction that God Himself calls, His strange act. Throughout history God's heartfelt yearning has been to dwell in our midst. It is sin however that has been constantly thwarting that plan, for sin separates us from God...not by forcing God away from us, but by our own choosing we are , through our transgression, deciding on a different master. And God despises and abhors anything that would tend to diminish, lessen, or reduce the hatred of sin that He would seek to implant in the lives, hearts, and minds of those He seeks to save.
The doctrine of osas works against God's will for His people. For the very reason that in many it would tend to lessen any desire to forsake it, and thus lessen the desire for the righteousness for God, would be why God has not made it possible or even viable that any can be saved whilst cherishing any known sin. To cherish sin...to not allow God to wholly sanctify the heart...to willingly continue to deliberately imbibe in any transgression against any of God's commandments, is a fruitage of a life that loves self or pleasure or this world greater than God.
1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
brakelite said:
The doctrine of osas works against God's will for His people.
OSAS teaches to trust in the grace of God and not the righteousness of man. God's will is that we trust in Him, no?

B

brakelite

ATP said:
OSAS teaches to trust in the grace of God and not the righteousness of man. God's will is that we trust in Him, no?
You are not trusting Him though ATP. You don't trust Him to be able to empower you to forsake or overcome sin in this life, thus you trust Him to tolerate sin, rather than defeat it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now, it is up to us to accept it, or not.
Christ's work is finished. Done. Over with. He sat down at the right hand of the Father...
And that is the crux of the problem ... who believes, who has accepted, as She said His work is finished, God dosent do things half fashioned.

1Co_6:14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2Co 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
2Co 4:8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
2Co 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
2Co 4:11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
2Co 4:12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.
2Co 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
2Co 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
2Co 4:15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
2Co 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
2Co 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

But who believs that God has teh power to save them, seems very few.

in all His Love

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
brakelite said:
You are not trusting Him though ATP. You don't trust Him to be able to empower you to forsake or overcome sin in this life, thus you trust Him to tolerate sin, rather than defeat it.
Are you saying that we, ourselves, must save ourselves by what we do or not do? If so we would have been just as well off under the law of Moses.

No where do I see in the scriptures that we can control our sinful natures. If you say that Jesus empowers us to not sin then why do all men/women still sin. Don't you understand that the child of God has two natures and they continue to war one against the other (Romans7) as long as he/she lives. The scriptures never teach that we have the power to overcome sin. It teaches that Jesus has overcome it FOR US on the cross by paying for all our sins of the flesh. It is His power that has overcome our sins of the flesh.

All glory for our salvation belongs to God's Son, Jesus Christ and certainly not our work of repentance. True repentance is always having in your mind that you know you have a sinful nature but you trust in Jesus' work on the cross to save you from it's condemnation. It is not something that is done when ever a person is in Church.. (belief-trust-confidence, faith mean the same thing.)

No, I don't believe Jesus empowered us to be able to control our sinful nature. However He did give us a new spiritual nature that wars against our sinful flesh and sometimes it wins and at other times the sinful nature wins. If that is not so then all children of God would be perfect while living in a body with a sinful nature. God's power is not limited.