The Doctrine of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
It is actually a tactic called a red herring. It is an attempt to distract the conversation away from the portion they have no answer to. They pick an irrelevant portion of the post and disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

The other tactic I have seen is flooding the thread with irrelevant posts like the one above. Instead of addressing the issues or arguments, they ignore these and litter the thread, especially if something they have no answer to is posted. I think the idea is to push back the relevant post so far behind their posts people will not read through to find the relevant material. The relevant post gets lost in the crowd so to speak.
Calling it such does NOT make it so. Something you do a lot.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
No Stan my biblical study practices are sound.

Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. - 1 Corinthians 15:8

You need to explain it to Paul that Jesus wasn't there...

God not only knew what would happen to Nebuchadnezzar he enforced it and ordained it.

This is taken from my simple dictionary on my phone...

Decree
a formal and authoritative order, especially one having the force of law: a presidential decree.
Law. a judicial decision or order.
Theology. one of the eternal purposes of God, by which events are foreordained.

You have a strange habit of accusing me of what you are actually guilty of. As if somehow by wrongly accusing me you shift the blame from yourself to me. This has been going on through the majority of our discussion.
Nope.

Not unusual that Paul felt this way...are you trying to make this a doctrinal issue? He also said he would rather be dead and with Jesus, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to stick it out to the end. This is Paul's style throughout his letters. He also said he thought young men should stay single. Are you going to advocate this as well? Please do me the favour of not taking verses like this OUT of context, as it only affirms your bible study practices are NOT sound.

I don't have to...Acts says it was a bright light and a voice. The Bible clearly teaches that ALL will see His return, so you should keep that in mind when making unfounded assertions.

Talk about going off on tangents....how is this getting back on track? A slanted English definition does not make it fit YOUR misapplied connotation. The Hebrew is 'ămar, and connotes; to say, to speak, to command, to tell, to relate.

I would be more than happy to debate you in a moderated settings where you can't do what you do here, but I doubt you would.
I gave you my conditions up front and although you agree, you defaulted almost immediately, so please don't accuse me of what you do.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
If you want to split hairs in this way you could say no one ever saw anything. They only saw the light that reflected or emenated from something and into their eyes. Your both being intentionally difficult, and I don't see what this tangent has to do with OSAS.
I agree lforrest, the point I was making was based on what justaname said about how sound his biblical practises are when there is NO evidence whatsoever that Jesus was there physically. Of course he won't admit to it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OK, now support this with scripture.
I have a friend who was told that her name was written in the lambs book of life and He will never tear the page out. But than, why would you believe, where is your faith, in what is your Hope... In what is your trust??? Her husband was shown in a vision that he has bypassed judgement, you know that bit about" there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ and walk after the Spirirt", you know that thing called faith, even believing God something that christians seem to find so hard to do.

In all His Love

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
justaname said:
Back to the topic...

For those who disagree with the perseverance of the saints doctrine they must disprove it...not just post scriptures they believe contradict God's eternal promises...

Point #1
God has chosen some from before the foundations of the world. Thier names are in the Lamb's book of Life.

Point #2
Jesus states all the Father has given to Him He will raise at the last day. He will not lose any.

Point #3
Believers are permanently sealed with the Holy Spirit until redemption.

Point #4
God has predestined those He foreknew to be conformed into th image of Christ. These also are glorified.

If you need Scripture references I can post them...

Each of these points give strong evidence supporting the doctrine. All of these together solidify the concept. This is not exhaustive of the points, yet is a strong example of a good portion of them.
The scriptures that I posted, that you blew off calling them "irrelevant" are proof enough that OSAS is a false doctrine.

If it were not possible to fall away, the Bible would not contain these warnings. But those scriptures are there, just as I posted them, and in spite of efforts to brush them aside, they mean just what they say.
I realize by now that you are not about to budge. I totally cannot understand how anyone, in the face of these passages, can possibly continue to maintain that OSAS is anything more than man's foolishness.
Nor can I figure out how anyone could malign God's character to the point where they have Him creating people only to torture them, and then turn around and call Him a God of love.
I have read the exact same verses as you...and yet we have come to two very different conclusions.
Boy, am I glad that I've never been a scholar! Give me the pure, unadulterated, unsullied Word of God. That is enough for me!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is possible to reject Christ, we all have that choice, but for those who believe they are saved, how can Christ deny Himself.??

Could always ask teh question, are you saved??

In allhis Love

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Nope.

Not unusual that Paul felt this way...are you trying to make this a doctrinal issue? He also said he would rather be dead and with Jesus, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to stick it out to the end. This is Paul's style throughout his letters. He also said he thought young men should stay single. Are you going to advocate this as well? Please do me the favour of not taking verses like this OUT of context, as it only affirms your bible study practices are NOT sound.

I don't have to...Acts says it was a bright light and a voice. The Bible clearly teaches that ALL will see His return, so you should keep that in mind when making unfounded assertions.

Talk about going off on tangents....how is this getting back on track? A slanted English definition does not make it fit YOUR misapplied connotation. The Hebrew is 'ămar, and connotes; to say, to speak, to command, to tell, to relate.

I would be more than happy to debate you in a moderated settings where you can't do what you do here, but I doubt you would.
I gave you my conditions up front and although you agree, you defaulted almost immediately, so please don't accuse me of what you do.
This is absurd. Paul emphatically states Jesus appeared to him in a letter by his own hand inspired by the Holy Spirit yet you do not accept that. You would rather take Luke's second hand account that was not meant to graphically detail every event rather give a telling of what happened. Just because Luke does not explicitly state Jesus was there does not invalidate the possibility. Paul affirms Jesus was there.

Your description of "Paul's style" explains nothing. I would rather be with the Lord but I am not leaving until He takes me. Paul has reasons for young men staying single. Yet none of this relates to Paul seeing Jesus or the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints.

I am so glad all of this is recorded for people to read the entire conversation.

The Barrd said:
The scriptures that I posted, that you blew off calling them "irrelevant" are proof enough that OSAS is a false doctrine.

If it were not possible to fall away, the Bible would not contain these warnings. But those scriptures are there, just as I posted them, and in spite of efforts to brush them aside, they mean just what they say.
I realize by now that you are not about to budge. I totally cannot understand how anyone, in the face of these passages, can possibly continue to maintain that OSAS is anything more than man's foolishness.
Nor can I figure out how anyone could malign God's character to the point where they have Him creating people only to torture them, and then turn around and call Him a God of love.
I have read the exact same verses as you...and yet we have come to two very different conclusions.
Boy, am I glad that I've never been a scholar! Give me the pure, unadulterated, unsullied Word of God. That is enough for me!
The Luke 9:62 passage says nothing about losing salvation.
Acts 20:28-30 foretells of people who are not saved distorting the gospel and attempting to convince others of a false gospel.
I Timothy 1:18-20 speaks of a shipwrecked faith not loss of salvation. Shipwrecked faiths do not produce salvation.
Hebrews 3:12-13 speaks of non believers.
1 Timothy 4:1-2 tells of people in advance that spread and believe a false gospel.
1 Timothy 6:9-10 speaks of people who loved money rather than God.
Hebrews 6:4-6 has been discussed thoroughly.
1 Peter 5:8 does not speak of loss of salvation at all rather is a waring to beware the devil
2 Peter 2:20-22 speaks of non-salvific faith or as Paul puts it believing in vain

Again the soils...only the good soil is saved. Just because someone professes a faith does not mean they posses salvation. Some believe in vain...this is scriptural.
I am not saying people don't fall away and neither does the perseverance of the saints doctrine. This is your misunderstanding blinding you from the truth of what is being conveyed to you through my posts.

I am not budging because your bully tactics do not work against me. Your red herring and straw-man tactics prove your colors. You are not attempting to have an honest discussion as you have already made know because you don't care about anyone's opinion but your own and those who agree with you. You simply want to make unchallenged assertions.

What I meant about "irrelevant" in my post to Iforrest is those Scriptures are not relevant to the flow of the thread. It succeeded only in changing the subject and point I made to your subject of these Scriptures you posted...now answered.

For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

All the Father gives to Jesus is not lost and is raised on the last day. Everyone who beholds the Son and believes will have eternal life. Jesus will raise them up Himself.

My God and Savior thank You for Your glorious promises. You are faithful and good. All the Father gives You is kept by You. Bind my wandering heart to You Oh Lord. In Your courts above I will speak only Your name. God I am unworthy for You to enter under my roof, but only say the word and I will be healed! To know the riches of Your glory and the power of your hand is to be known by You. To be known by You is to be destined to be conformed into Your image. God, my God, You called me and through your gift of faith I am justified. Not by anything I have done or can do, but rather because of Your atonement, resurrection, and gift of faith. Now God I hold fast to the faith you have given to what you have measured through the strength of Your Holy Spirit that seals me and press on to see the glory you have prepared for me. I am Your workmanship so all the glory, honor, and power is Yours. Use me as Your instrument for Your namesake and Your good pleasure to make known the depths of Your love, the terror of your power, and the assuredness of Your promises. In the name of Yeshua Ha Mashiach. Amen

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen (elected) us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Mt 1:21:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Re 13:8-9
8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

If there are names that are NOT written in the Lamb's Book of Life, then the opposit is also true.

9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

To God Be The Glory

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I already did...but just for you Stan...

1 Corinthians 1:26-30

Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

This speaks directly to God's calling and placement of particular kinds of people or individuals in Christ. God did not just chose the Church then leave it to man to fill it. He chose the people filling the Church.. Verse 30 verifies it is because of Him (God) that you are in Christ Jesus. God places these particular people to be in Christ. This idea is closed this way...

so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

Then for added support...
James 2:5
Ephesians 1:4-5
Ephesians 1:11
Revelation 13:8
Revelation 17:8
2 Timothy 1:9
2 Timothy 2:19
1 Corinthians 1:27-30
1 Corinthians 2:7
Luke 10:20
Matthew 24:22
Mark 13:20
Romans 9:23

This list could go on but I can't for now.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd, on 07 Oct 2015 - 3:11 PM, said:
The Barrd said:
The problem remains that the scriptures I quote are there.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The writer of Hebrews seemed to think that it is possible for Christians to fall away.

The scriptures you've quoted above are NOT speaking about a child of God or Christians , as you put it, rather the word “some” in Heb 6:4 must be qualified, and these are they who are the Tares that God allowed to grow together with the Wheat in the church environment. The Tares are the unsaved and the Wheat the saved. In every congregations of the world, without exceptions, there are saved and unsaved people who gather together in the local churches. The Tares are those that will fall away although they heard the true Gospel preached (enlightened), and have tasted of the heavenly gift (salvation), and were made partakers of the the Holy Spirit (communion).
The key verse in understanding Heb 6:4-6 is found in Heb 6:9 which do not speak about a child of God or salvation, but of unbelief which is explained in Heb 3:17-19.
God is the Author of the Bible and I don't believe He intended that it is possible for His child to fall away!
2Pe 2:20-22 are companion scriptures to Heb 6: 4-6.

Definitely looks as if Peter, at least, believed that Christians could fall away.
Do you suppose that he was suffering from this strong delusion?

You are not only spiritually blind but physically blind as well!
My previous post above said: only the true believers can hear and follow the Word (Bible), and the rest are delusional.
Please don't twist what I say!!!
Peter was a child of God and therefore, could never have said that a child of God can fall away.
It is your lack of understanding the scriptures that is the problem.

The scriptures that I quoted are there, and they say exactly what I posted. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.
I did not write them, I merely quote the great men who did. If they were suffering from a strong delusion, then I am in good company.

Note that the great men you quoted are all children of God therefore could not be delusional!!!
The scriptures indeed will stay permanently in the Bible!

Boy am I glad you didn't write the Bible!!!

To God Be The Glory

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
I already did...but just for you Stan...

1 Corinthians 1:26-30
This does NOT answer what you wrote and what I asked for.

In 1740 you stated;
Point #1
God has chosen some from before the foundations of the world. Their names are in the Lamb's book of Life.

Nothing you just posted confirms this assertion. This is exactly what I mean by doctrinal vernacular. You use phrases that do NOT have ANY foundation in scripture, and when given an opportunity to support if, all you do is make an onerous posts that does NOT apply.

If you want to make your 4 point post in 1740 valid, then make the first point valid, otherwise they ALL fail. What is it with points and Calvinists?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jun2u said:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen (elected) us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
This wasn't direct at you, but if you're going to quote scripture, quote actual scripture and not something that has words and thoughts added to it.
Also as you obviously don't understand the KJV, why quote it?
The NASB translates it as;
just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

It is on par with what Paul also wrote in Rom 8:28-30

It does NOT address what is written in post 1740 nor does it support your view of SE that you try to make here, as were are dealing with OSAS. You guys can't seem to deal with one issue without bringing in ALL RT flower doctrine?
BTW, we are NOT adopted by Jesus to Himself, we are adopted by God to be joint heirs WITH Jesus and are predestined to be CONFORMED, which means to be Christ like, to his Son's likeness as obedient children.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:

Apparently this is a common ploy with those that support OSAS...they call much of scripture that denies their POV as irrelevant.

They also commonly don't address issues directed at them with any kind of relevant scripture.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
This does NOT answer what you wrote and what I asked for.

In 1740 you stated;
Point #1
God has chosen some from before the foundations of the world. Their names are in the Lamb's book of Life.

Nothing you just posted confirms this assertion. This is exactly what I mean by doctrinal vernacular. You use phrases that do NOT have ANY foundation in scripture, and when given an opportunity to support if, all you do is make an onerous posts that does NOT apply.

If you want to make your 4 point post in 1740 valid, then make the first point valid, otherwise they ALL fail. What is it with points and Calvinists?
Actually each point stands on their own. The post I made speaks to God selecting individuals to be in Christ. The long list of verses speaks of some being selected before the foundations of the world.

Especially Ephesians 1:4-5

Revelation 13:8 and Revelation 17:8 speaks this in the negative; it refers to those not written in the book. Assuredly before the foundations of the world refers to those written in the book.

Now this only makes sense because God knows all His own by name. Why would we not think they are written before the foundations of the world?

So then God selects some to be in Christ. Those selected are the ones already written in the Lambs Book of Life.

Pretty simple really. Yet I feel you want to try to make it harder...lol. Maybe if you weren't so concerned with pinning me down and coming up with labels and actually conversing this could be pleasant. Yet your tone is downright nasty and I am growing tired of this dialogue. You have yet to really make an assertion, you simply are trying to disprove mine.

Again if the calling is effective as you have agreed. Then if people are saved before they are called as you state,
they are saved before they even here the gospel message according to you. (At least this is what I am gathering)

Then if they walk away from the faith they are no longer saved. But you say people can't lose their salvation?

You have done nothing but confuse me as to what you believe. Then I ask for clarity and you refuse to explain anything.

I am sorry Stan but it really seems like you are just using your own semantics. It is really clear with the whole Paul appearing to Jesus incident you are not looking for an open honest dialogue. You seem to have an ax to grind, it will not be on me.

Shalom!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
This is absurd. Paul emphatically states Jesus appeared to him in a letter by his own hand inspired by the Holy Spirit yet you do not accept that. You would rather take Luke's second hand account that was not meant to graphically detail every event rather give a telling of what happened. Just because Luke does not explicitly state Jesus was there does not invalidate the possibility. Paul affirms Jesus was there.

Your description of "Paul's style" explains nothing. I would rather be with the Lord but I am not leaving until He takes me. Paul has reasons for young men staying single. Yet none of this relates to Paul seeing Jesus or the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints.

I am so glad all of this is recorded for people to read the entire conversation.
Where? Are you saying the angels lied about when Jesus would return? Did Paul lie about it? You assume based on your bent, NOT based on what scripture ACTUALLY says. Paul says "I heard a voice". Where does it say he or anyone with him SAW Jesus? Do you think God's inspiration fell short with Luke? Does Paul say ALL scripture is God breathed or only the words in red? It's amazing the leaps in reasoning you're willing to take to NOT admit something your dogma has taught you.

It explains exactly what It addressed. Sadly you missed it as usual.

I'm not too worried about others seeing the truth in these posts, but I do worry about you and how inculcated you are in your own dogma.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
Where? Are you saying the angels lied about when Jesus would return? Did Paul lie about it? You assume based on your bent, NOT based on what scripture ACTUALLY says. Paul says "I heard a voice". Where does it say he or anyone with him SAW Jesus? Do you think God's inspiration fell short with Luke? Does Paul say ALL scripture is God breathed or only the words in red? It's amazing the leaps in reasoning you're willing to take to NOT admit something your dogma has taught you.

I'm not too worried about others seeing the truth in these posts, but I do worry about you and how inculcated you are in your own dogma.
I suppose you don't believe people when they say they've seen Jesus then. Its a pity you see the situation in such cut and dry logic, as if the only way he can be seen is if he descends back down from heaven and onto the earth again. Consider that through the Holy Spirit he can appear to some. These manifestations are not physical, but spiritual as evidenced by not all the witnesses seeing the same thing.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is ever present...omnipresent.

Paul says He appeared to him. It is written in Scripture...

I trust the Word of God...

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:

Thank you for your concern. Please pray about it.
Paul says more than I heard a voice...

Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. - 1 Corinthians 15:8

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
I suppose you don't believe people when they say they've seen Jesus then. Its a pity you see the situation in such cut and dry logic, as if the only way he can be seen is if he descends back down from heaven and onto the earth again. Consider that through the Holy Spirit he can appear to some. These manifestations are not physical, but spiritual as evidenced by not all the witnesses seeing the same thing.
I've never had anyone tell me they've seen Jesus, but I do believe that when He returns He will return as He left, in the clouds for all to see, because that is what the scriptures say. I don't suspend my faith for visions, nor do I see anything in Acts that says Jesus was physically there when He called Paul.
I do believe that the people that are sung about in the following song saw Him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yLgtd_kkxw