The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow, you really are brainwashed.

Hardly. That the community founded by Christ, through the apostles is the Church is quite clear in scripture.

So if the church, let's just say the Catholic church, preaches that Christ alone is not enough to save

Christ alone is quite enough to save all creation. But He does not force Himself on anyone. So, as she has always done, the Church in union with the Spirit says:

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come." Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water

and we must do works

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I command?

that we are bound by Scripture to follow that direction?

Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.

Are you honestly saying that? Because that is not at all what Scripture states. It does not state the church is infallible and should be followed no matter what.

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

Perhaps you should consider these things and ask yourself if you desire that which She offers..

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hardly. That the community founded by Christ, through the apostles is the Church is quite clear in scripture.

Christ alone is quite enough to save all creation. But He does not force Himself on anyone. So, as she has always done, the Church in union with the Spirit says:

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come." Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I command?

Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

Perhaps you should consider these things and ask yourself if you desire that which She offers..

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
All of your Scripture is taken out of context to prop up a false church as infallible.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A normal person would not simply call another persons post a "psychotic rant", and count the words...BUT Rather would REPLY with things they Agreed or Disagreed with and WHY. You simply choose the copout snarky path to criticize and forgo Agreeing or Disagreeing and stating why.

While amusing, your method is far from Glorifying to God.
There is NO Argument to be had, when someone such as yourself is afraid to be forthright in clearly stating their belief.

Biology is a branch of science having to do with the study of living organisms.
If I had said something incorrect about the reproduction of Humans, you could have commented in disagreement.
You didn't.

Glory to God,
Taken
Threads, posts, hundreds, whereby you could NOT be forthright.
Regardless? Your whole belief of Mary's "supposed" sinlessness begins with Mary's own natural birth, as you have FINALLY after numerous threads and posts, clearly admitted your belief and you fluff that off as insignificant?

So your teaching IS;
Mary's Human dad's Corrupt SEED, fertalized Mary's Human mother's Corrupt EGG, and that PROCREATED a Baby (named Mary) that was NATURALLY BORN SINNLESS?

LOL...okie dokie.

Can you Share the Scripture that Teaches such a Story? Or will it take another umpteen threads and posts Before you admit, no such Scripture Exists?

Glory to God,
Taken
I already did. I've been waiting for YOUR refutation of Kecharitomene now for the last FIFTY or so posts.

Are you EVER going to get around to it -because, if you can't - you LOSE.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David Taylor; See that's the thing, your doctrine should come from Scripture alone. But it doesn't.

Can you show me where it says that in Scripture??

I didn't think so . . .

LOL...funniest thing BOL does...Aside from Speaking for other people....he Asks a Question then his little mind PRETENDS the question has been Answered. WEIRD!

Scriptural Answer:

Matt 16
[24] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 4
[2] And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine

When you figure out WHO "he" is, you Might ascertain The Doctrine of Christ's Church is already Established IN Scripture.
You can believe it, trust it, follow it....or not.

Glory to God,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL...funniest thing BOL does...Aside from Speaking for other people....he Asks a Question then his little mind PRETENDS the question has been Answered. WEIRD!

Scriptural Answer:

Matt 16
[24] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 4
[2] And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine

When you figure out WHO "he" is, you Might ascertain The Doctrine of Christ's Church is already Established IN Scripture.
You can believe it, trust it, follow it....or not.

Glory to God,
Taken
Just as I thought.
NEITHER of those verses have anything to do with Sola Scriptura.
NEITHER of them show that Scripture is our SOLE authority.

Once again - you have failed because thgis is an unbiblical, man-made 16th century invention . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already did. I've been waiting for YOUR refutation of Kecharitomene now for the last FIFTY or so posts.

STILL waiting for a sound, Biblical refutation . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already did.

You have not presented ONE scripture that says, Mary was naturally born from her mothers womb, SINLESS.

Try again.

I've been waiting for YOUR refutation of Kecharitomene now for the last FIFTY or so posts.

I am willing to Discuss your repeated Deflection TO "kecharitomene", as soon as you SHOW the Scripture what Mary was naturally born from her mother's womb, SINLESS.

Jesus was revealed to the World "WITHOUT" Sin, and Scripture PLAINLY says so.
1 Pet 2:22
Heb 4:15
1 John 3:5
John 19:4
1 Pet 1:18-19

So, identify the Scripture that notifies the reader, Mary was Naturally Born WITHOUT "SIN", Blameless, Spotless, Thought no sin, did no sin, spoke no sin, excepted from being conceived in sin......

Romans 3:
[23] For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

SHOW PLAINLY the Scripture, and EXPLAIN WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as I thought.
NEITHER of those verses have anything to do with Sola Scriptura.
NEITHER of them show that Scripture is our SOLE authority.

Once again - you have failed because thgis is an unbiblical, man-made 16th century invention . . .

FOLLOW Jesus....Jesus reveals HIS DOCTRINE....has NOTHING to do with Jesus' Doctrine being the SOLE Authority?

LOL... Apparently, you missed the Lesson...
JESUS IS the WORD OF GOD...

If He is NOT sufficient to be YOUR SOLE Authority....DO TELL..."WHO IS YOUR SOUL AUTHORITY" ?

Glory to God,
Taken

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow, you really are brainwashed. So if the church, let's just say the Catholic church, preaches that Christ alone is not enough to save and we must do works that we are bound by Scripture to follow that direction? Are you honestly saying that? Because that is not at all what Scripture states. It does not state the church is infallible and should be followed no matter what. IT SAYS TO REBUKE FALSE TEACHING.
I challenge you to prove, by scripture alone, that Tradition, (properly understood) and the Magisterium (properly understood) are not needed for the rule of faith. You failed to address this challenge because it is impossible for any sola scripturist to meet it. So you are all over the map with one derailer after another.
The Council of Jerusalem was infallible. The evidence is in Acts 15. "...the Holy Spirit was with us..." But you reject infallibility with a false caricature due to the mental block caused by sola scriptura. Therefore you teach the Council of Jerusalem was fallible, a false doctrine.
Luther and Calvin lamented over the consequences of their false teachings, but couldn't see the forest for the trees.

You’re trying to set the Bible against the Church, which is typical Protestant methodology, and ultra-unbiblical. The Bible never does that. I’ve already given the example of the Jerusalem Council, which plainly shows the infallibility of the Church.

The Bible repeatedly teaches that the Church is indefectible; therefore, the hypothetical of rejecting the (one true, historic) Church, as supposedly going against the Bible, is impossible according to the Bible. It is not a situation that would ever come up, because of God’s promised protection.
IT SAYS TO REBUKE FALSE TEACHING.
What the Bible says is to reject those who cause divisions, which is the very essence of the onset of Protestantism: schism, sectarianism, and division. It is Protestantism that departed from the historic Church, which is indefectible and infallible (see also 1 Tim 3:15). Thus, you fail Paul's test.

Therefore, heresies and Protestantism either had to play games with history in order to pretend that it fits with their views, or ignore it altogether.

Of course, all authority ultimately comes from God (Paul was called before he was born: Gal 1:15). It is the pitting of the ultimate source against the secondary, human source (the Church) which is the problem in your approach and that of Protestantism in general. You guys don’t like human, institutional authority and don’t have enough faith to believe that God can and does preserve it, so you try to undermine it by fallacious arguments, as presently.

No doubt you aren’t even aware that you are doing it. To do this is automatic in Protestantism; it’s like breathing. It’s like the fish that doesn’t know it’s in water. It all comes from the rejection of the infallibility of the Church (which is one thing that sola Scriptura always entails).

We believe in faith that the Church is infallible and indefectible, based on many biblical indications. It is theoretically possible (speaking in terms of philosophy or epistemology) that the Church could stray and have to be rejected, but the Bible rules that out. We believe in faith that it has not and will not.

You don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church, even though you can muster up even more faith than that, which is required to believe in an infallible Bible written by a bunch of sinners and hypocrites.

We simply have more faith than you guys do. It’s a supernatural gift. We believe that the authoritative Church is also a key part of God’s plan to save the souls of men. We follow the model of the Jerusalem Council, whereas you guys reject that or ignore it, because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.
Dialogue with a Calvinist: Was Paul a "Lone Ranger"?

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not presented ONE scripture that says, Mary was naturally born from her mothers womb, SINLESS.

Try again.

I am willing to Discuss your repeated Deflection TO "kecharitomene", as soon as you SHOW the Scripture what Mary was naturally born from her mother's womb, SINLESS.

Jesus was revealed to the World "WITHOUT" Sin, and Scripture PLAINLY says so.
1 Pet 2:22
Heb 4:15
1 John 3:5
John 19:4
1 Pet 1:18-19

So, identify the Scripture that notifies the reader, Mary was Naturally Born WITHOUT "SIN", Blameless, Spotless, Thought no sin, did no sin, spoke no sin, excepted from being conceived in sin......

Romans 3:
[23] For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

SHOW PLAINLY the Scripture, and EXPLAIN WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS.

Glory to God,
Taken
Just as I thought - another deflection.

Kecharitomene implies that Mary was ALWAYS without sin because she was comeletely, perfectly and enduringly endowed with grace.
Now - are you going to address this - or are you going to continue to dodge it??

As for Rom. 3 - don't even use that verse with me.
YOU have claimed to be without sin - yet you are trying to apply this verse to Mary. If you knew your Bible - which you obviously don't - you would understand that this verse is a reference to Psalm 14, where it says:
Psalm 14::1-3
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is good.a 2 The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men,b To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God. All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is good, not even one.

Then, in verse 5 - it says
They have good reason, then, to fear; God is with the company of the RIGHTEOUS.

Gee - I thought YOU said there were "NONE" righteous . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOLLOW Jesus....Jesus reveals HIS DOCTRINE....has NOTHING to do with Jesus' Doctrine being the SOLE Authority?

LOL... Apparently, you missed the Lesson...
JESUS IS the WORD OF GOD...

If He is NOT sufficient to be YOUR SOLE Authority....DO TELL..."WHO IS YOUR SOUL AUTHORITY" ?

Glory to God,
Taken
His doctrines were handed down by the Apostles in BOTH the written AND the ORAL:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, EITHER BY an ORAL STATEMENT OR BY a LETTER from us."

There is NO expiration date on 2 Thess. 2:15.
You need to STUDY your Bible instead of merely quoting it . . .

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow, you really are brainwashed. So if the church, let's just say the Catholic church, preaches that Christ alone is not enough to save and we must do works that we are bound by Scripture to follow that direction? Are you honestly saying that? Because that is not at all what Scripture states. It does not state the church is infallible and should be followed no matter what. IT SAYS TO REBUKE FALSE TEACHING.
"preaches that Christ alone is not enough to save and we must do works" is NOT Catholic teaching, it's standard Calvinoid polemics. And you accuse us of being brainwashed? Even your 'reputable' Calvinist authors (McCarthy) LIE on purpose, even though they are educated enough to know better. That's the brainwashing of Calvinism front row center.
Catholic Merit vs. Distorted Caricatures (James McCarthy)

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philip James ~

Do you believe People "MUST" DO WORKS?

And would that BE;
A MUST for "born again" people?
Or
To Become "born again"?
Or
Something else?

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His doctrines were handed down by the Apostles in BOTH the written AND the ORAL:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, EITHER BY an ORAL STATEMENT OR BY a LETTER from us."

There is NO expiration date on 2 Thess. 2:15.
You need to STUDY your Bible instead of merely quoting it . . .

LOL, I didn't quote Scripture. I asked you a question! DUH!

You were trying to make a stance Against sola scriptura ....

David's point was...a mans DOCTRINE "should" come from Scripture, and never mentioned sola scriptura.

You brought up sola scriptura.

My point was Jesus is the WORD of God and IS the SOLE Authority of His WORD.

I asked you a question, and you attempted to lecture me about quoting Scripture...lol

Good Grief, you can not even follow along in simple dialogue. No wonder you always come across as lost and confused and snarky.

Glory to God,
Taken

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just as I thought - another deflection.

Kecharitomene implies that Mary was ALWAYS without sin because she was comeletely, perfectly and enduringly endowed with grace.
Now - are you going to address this - or are you going to continue to dodge it??

YOU have claimed to be without sin - yet you are trying to apply this verse to Mary. If you knew your Bible - which you obviously don't - you would understand that this verse is a reference to Psalm 14, where it says:
Psalm 14::1-3
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is good.a 2 The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men,b To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God. All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is good, not even one.

Then, in verse 5 - it says
They have good reason, then, to fear; God is with the company of the RIGHTEOUS.

Gee - I thought YOU said there were "NONE" righteous . . .
Good job. Psalm 14:1-3 says that only among the wicked there is none righteous. The near sighted Calvinist thinks that means everybody, which is clearly a man made tradition.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kecharitomene IMPLIES that Mary was ALWAYS without sin because she was comeletely, perfectly and enduringly endowed with grace.

Scripture REVEALS, the angel told her SHE was Highly favored and Full of Grace.

Trying to peddle WHEN she BECAME Highly Favored or FULL of Grace.......BY some sort of "man thought" "IMPLICATION"...is a far Stretch from Evidence of FACT, of WHEN, Mary Became Highly Favored and FULL of Grace.

It wasn't a dodge...It was an IGNORE!
You regularly demand your questions be answered....while you regularly skip over answering others questions.

Save your deflections. Try to stay on point.

Still waiting HOW, Mary, as a WOMAN being TOLD she is FULL of Grace....TRANSLATES or SOMEHOW "IMPLIES"; "SHE" was naturally born SINLESS.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good job. Psalm 14:1-3 says that only among the wicked there is none righteous. The near sighted Calvinist thinks that means everybody, which is clearly a man made tradition.

LOL...you Catholics are full of deceitful tricks.

BOL was speaking to me...and you pop in IMPLYING he was speaking to; (don't Forget to make a snarky remark...Near-sighted)....and then "Calvinist"....

Why are YOU implying, BOL speaking to me, is him SPEAKING to someone "near-sighted" or "Calvinist"?

Guess that is the WAY Catholics role..
If they won't JOIN YOU, make up crap about them. UGH!

Glory to God,
Taken