The Evil of Mass Shootings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If everyone carried a gun you would not have such an issue.

I am surprised in a Nation of x amount of people that their is not more shootings than their is.

Fact is in the USA were people do not have the right to have a gun that's were the most % get shot by far.

Even here in Australia I know of people who have a licence to own a gun and you know what I would not give some a licence myself because I know that they are to much of a degenerate to truly have such a thing. the person is not worthy of being called a man in my opinion, he has not grown up, he is still a boy or a brat at heart. they would have a sook attack and want revenge because their ego was hurt.

I think that everyone should have to do military training that way we can weed out the trash before hand or make a man out of them. such would be good money spent and the future of the % of criminals would be a lot less. only trash go about doing the wrong thing to others.

Reactions: April_Rose

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If everyone carried a gun you would not have such an issue.

I am surprised in a Nation of x amount of people that their is not more shootings than their is.

Fact is in the USA were people do not have the right to have a gun that's were the most % get shot by far.

Even here in Australia I know of people who have a licence to own a gun and you know what I would not give some a licence myself because I know that they are to much of a degenerate to truly have such a thing. the person is not worthy of being called a man in my opinion, he has not grown up, he is still a boy or a brat at heart. they would have a sook attack and want revenge because their ego was hurt.

I think that everyone should have to do military training that way we can weed out the trash before hand or make a man out of them. such would be good money spent and the future of the % of criminals would be a lot less. only trash go about doing the wrong thing to others.
We do have a second amendment. However we are not today as we once we're in the old west. Where most went heeled, that is, wore a gun. Mass shootings, contrary to Hollywood and their fictional portrayals, did not happen.
Where I live now it isn't unusual to see someone wearing a holster on their hip.
I venture to say if one day we shall learn of a potential mass shooter stepping out to begin their bloody hunt of innocents, only to be shot down by an armed citizen. (not a police officer but an armed civilian).
I think that would send a warning to any others bearing those same intentions as the potential shooter.

And who knows? It may lead to more civilians carrying firearms in order to keep their community safe from those who relish putting them in peril.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We do have a second amendment. However we are not today as we once we're in the old west. Where most went heeled, that is, wore a gun. Mass shootings, contrary to Hollywood and their fictional portrayals, did not happen.
Where I live now it isn't unusual to see someone wearing a holster on their hip.
I venture to say if one day we shall learn of a potential mass shooter stepping out to begin their bloody hunt of innocents, only to be shot down by an armed citizen. (not a police officer but an armed civilian).
I think that would send a warning to any others bearing those same intentions as the potential shooter.

And who knows? It may lead to more civilians carrying firearms in order to keep their community safe from those who relish putting them in peril.
Yes we had some nut running around shooting people in Tasmania, the cops were demanded from high command not to shoot the bastard, so he went about shooting people at will free to shoot who ever he wanted to at will, now if some of the public were armed the bastard would never got away with what he did in the first place, let alone take on such a task because such a coward would fear such a scenario.
The cops had him in their sights he was in the cross hairs and the order was not to shoot a mass murderer ! C'mon. and their is a cover up all about the reality.
Not to mention the same in Sydney of a total Islamic nut with a list of all he did in the years before hand all covered up by our Government, because if Australians truly knew the facts of all this crap that he got away with, the PM M Turnbull would been kicked out of office on his arse by the people. as a total moron to allow such a one and a Islamic organisation that supported this nut legally jump through the hoops that most people would be kicked out of our Nation. not to mention all this is all hidden by the MSM and Governments.

Then we had some moron running loose that the Hells Angles Mob feared and he was let to run loose and ended up killing a Cop, that was covered up as well.

The Government is and has been letting such people loose on the public for their own pleasure so as in to change Laws they want too push on the public I am sure, we have drug pushes about every were let loose free to run about by the system, they are un touchable planted by the system to be freely selling drugs. the cops know such is selling but they are not allowed to go near them. and such people sometimes go about bashing and raping freely time and time again and even shoot someone and get off free. I seen this jerk come out freed from court after shooting a man dead from the road side into this blokes house. and when he came out of Court he came out hands up in the air boasting, If you want anyone shot come see me ! and then he passed out on the floor.

C'mon where is due diligence toward the public safety with morons like such on the loose. we are being had ! and played for fools. not to mention ripped of by blatant revenue raising Governments that are free to be total clowns. not to mention that they can freely go into total debt that is getting out of control, without question.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus

I actually remember a few stories like this where a shooter was stopped by an armed citizen. I know people who are very prepared for just such an eventuality, perhaps too ready in some cases, given how rare these events are.

Unfortunately, gun restrictions and laws tend to help criminals, who of course don't care at all about the legal process of obtaining a gun. Consistently, areas with the tightest gun restrictions, at least in the US, have the most shootings and shooting deaths.

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a sociologist who has taught Criminology and written about mass shootings, it is distressing to listen to all the chatter about Republicans and Democrats being blamed for the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton. Most of the talk is pure bunk. At the heart of the problem are what I call the three “B’s”: beliefs, bonds, and boundaries.

It is not people of faith who are the most likely to go on a shooting rampage; it is those who have no religious convictions. This does not mean that simply being an agnostic or an atheist is sufficient to cause someone to become a mass murderer. That’s nonsense. But to discount the role of religion in examining the lives of young men who are socially dysfunctional is also nonsense, and this is especially true of mass murderers.

Bonds matter greatly. If someone has a strong relationship with his family and his friends (not to mention God), he is considerably less likely to become a mass killer. This does not mean that all loners are likely to wind up like the El Paso and Dayton killers. But it does mean that this characteristic, when coupled with the other two “B’s,” is an important variable.

Not respecting boundaries is also associated with criminal behavior. All of us cross the line once in a while, but to those who find it easy to do so (no pangs of guilt), and who do so with regularity, beware: They are more likely to hurt someone than the rest of us.

From what we know about the suspected El Paso killer, he was a classic loner. Leigh Ann Locascio, a former neighbor of Patrick Crusius, called him an extreme loner who sat alone on the school bus. “He wouldn’t talk to people,” she said. “No one really knew him.”

Connor Betts, the suspected Dayton killer, was described by one of his bandmates, Jesse Creekbaum, as a “loner.” Another person who knew him, Brad Howard, said Betts was a quiet kid who kept to himself.

It is not clear what religious affiliation, if any, Crusius had. But we know that Betts worshipped Satan and wore satanic patches on his jacket.

Much too much is being made of the political leanings of these men. Crusius was upset with the “Hispanic invasion of Texas,” and in the eyes of some that makes him a white nationalist. But he was also an extreme environmentalist, a critic of big corporations, and a proponent of universal health care. Betts was a self-described leftist who championed the cause of left-wing terrorists.

There are many things that can be done to lessen the likelihood of mass shootings, but not to address rootlessness is a serious mistake. Last year a Cigna study showed that the most likely persons to be lonely were young people, not the elderly. Most of them, of course, will not become mass murderers, but it is from their ranks, not the well adjusted, where the next mass shooter is likely to come from.

Earlier this year, a study was published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology that found a significant increase of mental distress, depression, and suicidal thoughts among adults. The greatest increase was among young people.

What’s going on? The lack of social interaction is a real problem. By 2012, it was evident that smartphones and social media had overtaken the lives of millions of young people. The authors of this study concluded that there was a relationship between the increase in loneliness among young people and the use of smartphones and social media. It’s the amount of time that young people spend on their phones that is most disturbing. Indeed, the more time spent with these devices, the greater the risk of depression.

Of course, most young persons who are addicted to their phone are not likely to murder. But again, we would be remiss not to study the forces that create the milieu in which anti-social behavior is more likely to occur.

It is irresponsible to allow ideologues to drive the discussion of mass shootings. This problem will not be curbed by blaming white nationalists or Christian nationalists (they are the new bad guys in the left-wing playbook). After all, young black men who kill each other in the inner city with abandon have nothing to do with white nationalists or Christian nationalists. That they are given less attention by the media than violent white men smacks of racism.

Cities, towns and villages across the nation should institute hot lines for the public to call when they suspect that a young person is seriously in need of help. The hot lines would not involve the police: they would be staffed by the clergy, guidance counselors, social workers, and psychologists. After fielding a call, they would make an assessment and, if necessary, contact those who know the individual. If the troubled youth cooperates, he would be given the help he needs.

There won’t be any major progress until we focus on what can be done about the lack of beliefs, bonds, and boundaries that are characteristic of mass killers. School starts soon so time is of the essence.
ROOT CAUSE OF MASS SHOOTINGS IS ROOTLESSNESS – Catholic League

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
As a sociologist who has taught Criminology and written about mass shootings, it is distressing to listen to all the chatter about Republicans and Democrats being blamed for the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton. Most of the talk is pure bunk. At the heart of the problem are what I call the three “B’s”: beliefs, bonds, and boundaries.

It is not people of faith who are the most likely to go on a shooting rampage; it is those who have no religious convictions. This does not mean that simply being an agnostic or an atheist is sufficient to cause someone to become a mass murderer. That’s nonsense. But to discount the role of religion in examining the lives of young men who are socially dysfunctional is also nonsense, and this is especially true of mass murderers.

Bonds matter greatly. If someone has a strong relationship with his family and his friends (not to mention God), he is considerably less likely to become a mass killer. This does not mean that all loners are likely to wind up like the El Paso and Dayton killers. But it does mean that this characteristic, when coupled with the other two “B’s,” is an important variable.

Not respecting boundaries is also associated with criminal behavior. All of us cross the line once in a while, but to those who find it easy to do so (no pangs of guilt), and who do so with regularity, beware: They are more likely to hurt someone than the rest of us.

From what we know about the suspected El Paso killer, he was a classic loner. Leigh Ann Locascio, a former neighbor of Patrick Crusius, called him an extreme loner who sat alone on the school bus. “He wouldn’t talk to people,” she said. “No one really knew him.”

Connor Betts, the suspected Dayton killer, was described by one of his bandmates, Jesse Creekbaum, as a “loner.” Another person who knew him, Brad Howard, said Betts was a quiet kid who kept to himself.

It is not clear what religious affiliation, if any, Crusius had. But we know that Betts worshipped Satan and wore satanic patches on his jacket.

Much too much is being made of the political leanings of these men. Crusius was upset with the “Hispanic invasion of Texas,” and in the eyes of some that makes him a white nationalist. But he was also an extreme environmentalist, a critic of big corporations, and a proponent of universal health care. Betts was a self-described leftist who championed the cause of left-wing terrorists.

There are many things that can be done to lessen the likelihood of mass shootings, but not to address rootlessness is a serious mistake. Last year a Cigna study showed that the most likely persons to be lonely were young people, not the elderly. Most of them, of course, will not become mass murderers, but it is from their ranks, not the well adjusted, where the next mass shooter is likely to come from.

Earlier this year, a study was published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology that found a significant increase of mental distress, depression, and suicidal thoughts among adults. The greatest increase was among young people.

What’s going on? The lack of social interaction is a real problem. By 2012, it was evident that smartphones and social media had overtaken the lives of millions of young people. The authors of this study concluded that there was a relationship between the increase in loneliness among young people and the use of smartphones and social media. It’s the amount of time that young people spend on their phones that is most disturbing. Indeed, the more time spent with these devices, the greater the risk of depression.

Of course, most young persons who are addicted to their phone are not likely to murder. But again, we would be remiss not to study the forces that create the milieu in which anti-social behavior is more likely to occur.

It is irresponsible to allow ideologues to drive the discussion of mass shootings. This problem will not be curbed by blaming white nationalists or Christian nationalists (they are the new bad guys in the left-wing playbook). After all, young black men who kill each other in the inner city with abandon have nothing to do with white nationalists or Christian nationalists. That they are given less attention by the media than violent white men smacks of racism.

Cities, towns and villages across the nation should institute hot lines for the public to call when they suspect that a young person is seriously in need of help. The hot lines would not involve the police: they would be staffed by the clergy, guidance counselors, social workers, and psychologists. After fielding a call, they would make an assessment and, if necessary, contact those who know the individual. If the troubled youth cooperates, he would be given the help he needs.

There won’t be any major progress until we focus on what can be done about the lack of beliefs, bonds, and boundaries that are characteristic of mass killers. School starts soon so time is of the essence.
ROOT CAUSE OF MASS SHOOTINGS IS ROOTLESSNESS – Catholic League

Appreciate your comments. I'm a trained counselor and can definitely concur with the points you made. Our society has been increasingly damaged by isolation and this contributes to many problems, including this. I've written quite a bit about this over the last year:

The Danger of Being Alone Together
No Community

Blessings on your work!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear brothers and sisters,

The issue of mass shootings, their damage to our communities and their place in the public discourse has weighed on me greatly lately. I have put together an article on the issue and would appreciate your feedback.

Blessings!

Mass Shootings are Evil

I read through. I wasn't sure what the point you were making if you were. What I did notice was when you said it had weighed on you. To me that is what stood out. Evil and tragedy it causes is always a grieving thing to watch or go through however it plays out.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
I read through. I wasn't sure what the point you were making if you were. What I did notice was when you said it had weighed on you. To me that is what stood out. Evil and tragedy it causes is always a grieving thing to watch or go through however it plays out.

Thanks for your input. I think other than the point you mentioned that I had wanted to highlight 2 things:

1. Everyone, but especially the media, should not look to generalize an event and use it for their own political/personal causes
  2. Christians have an opportunity to help prevent these events in their communities by getting involved in tangible, relational ways.

Blessings!

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your input. I think other than the point you mentioned that I had wanted to highlight 2 things:

1. Everyone, but especially the media, should not look to generalize an event and use it for their own political/personal causes
  2. Christians have an opportunity to help prevent these events in their communities by getting involved in tangible, relational ways.

Blessings!

Ok thanks. It should never be used in anykind of way to sell or do whatever a media outlet agenda may do, but don't be surprised. Christian's in media could be a hard job but someone needs to be there to try to bring some since to a bad situation.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have put together an article on the issue and would appreciate your feedback.
There may be many reasons for mass shootings, but the primary one would have to be insanity in the perpetrator (s). The insanity could be caused by (1) demons, (2) drugs, (3) unbearable conditions, or (4) mental instability. Jihadists are essentially unstable mentally.

At the same time America has now become a lawless nation at the very top, beginning with the Supreme Court and going into every branch of government. So if the ones who are in law enforcement are lawless, what signal does it send to criminals? When immigration laws are totally disregarded, and the southern border is thrown wide open, it is a signal to the cartels, terrorists, and criminals that crime does in fact pay, and that too very handsomely.

Confiscating the guns of law-abiding citizens is not the answer. Defunding the police is not the answer. And tolerating anarchists and rioters is not the answer. Yet these are the "solutions" which the Leftists are promoting. Hardened criminals are being released into communities because it is the "woke" thing to do.

What is the real solution? The thorough cleaning of the DOJ, FBI, and all police departments, followed by the arrest and prosecution of all the topmost level criminals in the country (including Joe Biden, George Soros, and Bill Gates). Once criminals see that there are very serious consequences to crime, they may cease and desist.

Last edited:

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
There may be many reasons for mass shootings, but the primary one would have to be insanity in the perpetrator (s). The insanity could be caused by (1) demons, (2) drugs, (3) unbearable conditions, or (4) mental instability. Jihadists are essentially unstable mentally.

At the same time America has now become a lawless nation at the very top, beginning with the Supreme Court and going into every branch of government. So if the ones who are in law enforcement are lawless, what signal does it send to criminals? When immigration laws are totally disregarded, and the southern border is throw wide open, it is a signal to the cartels, terrorists, and criminals that crime does in fact pay, and that too very handsomely.

Confiscating the guns of law-abiding citizens in not the answer. Defunding the police is not the answer. And tolerating anarchists and rioters in not the answer. Yet these are the "solutions" which the Leftists are promoting. Hardened criminals are being released into communities because it is the "woke" thing to do.

What is the real solution? The thorough cleaning on the DOJ, FBI, and all police departments, followed by the arrest and prosecution of all the topmost level criminals in the country (including Joe Biden, George Soros, and Bill Gates). Once criminals see that there a very serious consequences to crime, they may cease and desist.

It's really unfortunate that Trump trusted as many people as he did. He had very few real allies. The last year showed that he probably should have fired everyone and started over with all outsiders. He would probably still be president if he had.

Reactions: Enoch111

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a strange phenomenon, the mass shootings. I never remember mass shooting when I was growing up. And you could walk into a gun store and buy fully automatic MAC-10 machine guns, legally in the 80's. Maybe there were always these shootings and we just didn't know about them because we didn't have 24hr news and internet. But to me it sure seems like they are a new phenomenon.

Many of these shooters are in INCEL(involuntary celibate) types. With these shooters I blame pornography and the internet. These guys are social outcasts and watch porn. They feel they deserve sex to the point of killing people because of the anger generated by not getting sex. This kind of blows my mind that they get so angry about it that they would take life.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually remember a few stories like this where a shooter was stopped by an armed citizen. I know people who are very prepared for just such an eventuality, perhaps too ready in some cases, given how rare these events are.

Unfortunately, gun restrictions and laws tend to help criminals, who of course don't care at all about the legal process of obtaining a gun. Consistently, areas with the tightest gun restrictions, at least in the US, have the most shootings and shooting deaths.
Agreed. Gun control laws only control the law abiding.

"Gun Free Zone", the most absurd sign ever errected anywhere in America.