The False Doctrine of Infant Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, why and what some people do, does not make it part of Gods truth. So have to go by Gods Word...
Let's go by God's Word.

Challenge.

Take all the time you need.

Provide even one single verse from whatever translation of the Holy Bible you choose to use that specifically states that a household did not have infants.

Jailer ~ Acts 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34: And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and was overjoyed, since he had become a believer in God together with his whole household.

Lydia ~ Acts 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

Stephanos ~ 1 Cor 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Crispus ~ Acts 18:8 Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized.

lest we forget...

Acts 11:14 ~ who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved.’

and for Pete's sake... if infants , tots, and toddlers are not included why in the world would it matter if someone not of age was not considered Holy in God's eyes?

1 Cor 7:14 ~ For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

What is it with this verse... ? .... Seems to me that if mom or dad raised the kid(s) as they should (Proverbs 22:6 )
then when they came to the age of reason, they would fall in as they should. So why would it matter so long as husband and wife can do for each other......

NOW....Please show us all what you find in the Holy Bible about households had no infants.... Even a comment there that during those baptisms the kids and infants were sent to the community day care centers. That would make sense.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go by God's Word.

Challenge.

Provide even one single verse from whatever translation of the Holy Bible you choose to use that specifically states that a household did not have infants.

Jailer ~ Acts 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34: And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and was overjoyed, since he had become a believer in God together with his whole household.

Lydia ~ Acts 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

Stephanos ~ 1 Cor 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Crispus ~ Acts 18:8 Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized.

lest we forget...

Acts 11:14 ~ who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved.’

and for Pete's sake... if infants , tots, and toddlers are not included why in the world would it matter if someone not of age was not considered Holy in God's eyes?

1 Cor 7:14 ~ For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

What is it with this verse... ? .... Seems to me that if mom or dad raised the kid(s) as they should (Proverbs 22:6 )
then when they came to the age of reason, they would fall in as they should. So why would it matter so long as husband and wife can do for each other......

NOW....Please show us all what you find in the Holy Bible about households had no infants.... Even a comment there that during those baptisms the kids and infants were sent to the community day care centers. That would make sense.
you do realize we can do this in other places too . and all the while we can do so to contradict the truth .
for example .
People say all the time , SHOW ME WHERE JESUS SPOKE against HOMOSEXUALITY .
Now we can see where infant baptism would not occur by simply having read
what PHILLIP told the eunach who was desiring to be baptized .
HE , as in the eunach , asked a wonderful question . WHAT does HINDER ME , PREVENT ME ,
from being baptized . TAKE NOTE on what phillip says . IF YE BELEIVE...........
Take note about what JESUS said , THOSE WHO BELIEVE , BELIEVE and are baptized .
CHIEF an infant dont believe . NOW DO IT .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the objections for baptizing infants is typically based on the belief that Protestants baptizing their infants is done for the same reasons the Catholic Church does. It is believed by some that all who baptize infants do so because they believe the water assures the infant shall have everlasting life if death should come to the infant.

There is and always has been massive confusion about water baptism. It is so often linked to salvation by some Protestants as well as Catholics that the opinion of baptizing infants as a means of bringing them into the Covenant body of Christ OUTWARDLY is given little if any consideration by those who believe infant baptism should not be done.

In my experience I've come to understand the reason some Protestant Denominations practice infant baptism is NOT because they believe the water some how eternally saves them, but because they desire to include their children with the Covenant body of Christ on earth. Why would some feel it is important for infants and young children to be included within the body of Christ outwardly? Because God gave the Church the responsibility of bearing witness to the Kingdom of God on earth. Christ left His Church with gifts before ascending to the father after His resurrection.

Ephesians 4:11-16 (KJV) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

In the same manner God gave His chosen nation, Israel of Old His Word through Covenants, prophets, priests and the Law. And the chosen nation of Old was commanded to practice Covenant continuity by circumcising eight day old infants, that they might be set apart from all the other nations of the earth. Even those who were later shown to be in unbelief were included in this ordinance.

Being of the same desire some Protestant denominations baptize infants that they too might be included in the Covenant Church body that they may be separate from the world in unbelief. The desire of parents being that as their infants grow the gifts that Christ gave His Church on earth might be available to them as well as to adults. Through the Gospel preached, and apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers, these baptized infants might also learn of Christ by grace through faith and one day they too, as did their Covenant parents, profess Christ as their Lord and Savior, turning to Him in repentance, believing in Him for everlasting life.

In my experience Protestant, mostly Reformed Churches, like the chosen nation of Old, practice Covenant continuity by baptizing their infants and training them up through the gifts Christ has given His Church on earth. I, personally see nothing in Scripture to forbid this practice of baptizing infants. IMO believing as the ordinance Christ gave His Church of those who are baptized may be assumed for infants of believers holding to the promise of God "is unto you, and to your children". Bringing infants under the hearing of the Gospel, the prayer of these parents is that they too might one day be pricked in their heart, and repent and believe.

Acts 2:37-39 (KJV) Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
water baptism for an infant might make the parents feel better , BUT IT DOES NOTHING FOR THE CHILD .
HE who BELIEVES and is baptized . BELIEVES .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course not. This. like pretty much everything you see any disagreement or even angst over on this board, is neither damning nor salvific.

Grace and peace to you.
exactly . i mean for starters It was not the INFANTS CHOICE TO DO ANYTHING .
Water baptism on an infant is a waste of time , sure it might make the PARENTS FEEEEEL better
but it does nothing for the infant at all . Plus and this is a fat plus
All the sins i ever committed , the wicked man i once was , Having later been drawn to CHRIST , recieving
glorious FAITH IN HIM , THAT IS ALL FORGIVEN ME .
My advice , however, does reamin . You pull anyone you can out of false religion .
The harlot rests not and has taken captive many souls within her chambers of death . That cannot set the captives free .

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I, personally see nothing in Scripture to forbid this practice of baptizing infants.
The "argument from silence" ~ that there is nothing in Scripture stating (or implying) that infants are not to be baptized ~ is a good one... one of the best, actually. But, couple with the fact that in Scripture (Acts 2) we are told to be baptized, we and all our households, for the promise is for us and our children is really insurmountable. And baptism replaces circumcision, which was to be performed on all male children on the eighth day from birth, as the sign and seal of the covenant in New Testament times. On this last point, it is a bit veiled, but we see it in Paul's letter to the Colossians (2:11-12).

Grace and peace to all!

Reactions: rwb

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Choice has nothing to do ~ initially speaking ~ with our salvation, either. That's another issue.

Water baptism on an infant is a waste of time...
Absolutely untrue. :) See above.

...sure it might make the PARENTS FEEEEEL better...
They are acting in faith, bringing and dedicating their child ~ publically ~ to the Lord, and promising to bring the child up in the Lord's nurture and admonition, so they are entering into a covenant with the Lord. And it's good for us all to see these things. This is God's purpose in giving us this sacrament. We are remembering ~ and calling Him on ~ His promise to work through the parents to one day draw that child to Him and be his or her God as He is ours. And everyone else present also promises, in faith, to help the parents in that endeavor. It's a great thing.

but it does nothing for the infant at all...
As far as salvation is concerned, right, as circumcision itself did not.

. Plus and this is a fat plus
LOL!

Grace and peace to you, Amigo.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you do realize we can do this in other places too . and all the while we can do so to contradict the truth .
for example .
People say all the time , SHOW ME WHERE JESUS SPOKE against HOMOSEXUALITY .
Now we can see where infant baptism would not occur by simply having read
what PHILLIP told the eunach who was desiring to be baptized .
HE , as in the eunach , asked a wonderful question . WHAT does HINDER ME , PREVENT ME ,
from being baptized . TAKE NOTE on what phillip says . IF YE BELEIVE...........
Take note about what JESUS said , THOSE WHO BELIEVE , BELIEVE and are baptized .
CHIEF an infant dont believe . NOW DO IT .
WHO IS IN A HOUSEHOLD?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism on an infant is a waste of time , sure it might make the PARENTS FEEEEEL better
but it does nothing for the infant at all . Plus and this is a fat plus
All the sins i ever committed , the wicked man i once was , Having later been drawn to CHRIST , recieving
glorious FAITH IN HIM , THAT IS ALL FORGIVEN ME .
My advice , however, does reamin . You pull anyone you can out of false religion .
The harlot rests not and has taken captive many souls within her chambers of death . That cannot set the captives free .
Infant baptism is the start of your growth in understanding and faith.

You are given to God, and the parent(s) and church are charged with the education of that person
for the next 12 or 13 years, from which, at least in the protestant view, one can join the other believers, once
AND NOT UNTIL, NOT UNTIL, after this study and learning and acceptance of what and why Jesus shed His blood for us can one join the others... and then receive their first Holy Communion.

The acceptance of this is not done in private. There is no saying the "sinner's prayer" on your sofa watching television, or in your car driving to the store.... it is a very public acceptance of youir ready to belong.

So as someone asked above... are all of us baby baptized people going to hell when we die?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHO IS IN A HOUSEHOLD?
depends on whose household . I happen to know lots of households whose children are no longer an infant .
BINGO DUDE . when it says HE baptized the HOUSEHOLD of the jailor , ITS YOU who by influence of the CC
has implied it meant there was a baby in that household .
WHAT WE DO KNOW is this . WHAT DOES HINDER ME FROM BEING BAPTIZED . now that we do know .
YE MUST BELIEVE . that be the key . AS I AM SURE the apostels KNEW , if even phillip knew it .
BINGO DUDE . you cannot defeat me through the scrips , only through traditions of men do you think you can .
YOU BRING ME A SCRIP now my friend . AS I DID FOR YOU . TO SHOW YOU EXACTLY What would HINDER A PERSON
from being baptized . OH wait , YOU CANT . but what you can do is run to theologies and thoughts of men
to try and prove me wrong . DONT . RATHER read the BIBLE FOR YOU and it will become clearer and fast too .
I know lots of people whose children are older . i also know lots of people who have babies .
THE POINT is not WHO IS IN A HOUSEHOLD . THE POINT I MAKE is the same one PHILLIP MADE .
WHO CAN BE BAPTIZED . ONLY A BELIEVER . YEAH. NOW GO AND LEARN THAT . DO SO THROUGH THE BIBLE
and READ IT FOR YOURSELF . Let me know what YA FIND .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are given to God, and the parent(s) and church are charged with the education of that person
for the next 12 or 13 years, from which, at least in the protestant view, one can join the other believers, once
AND NOT UNTIL, NOT UNTIL, after this study and learning and acceptance of what and why Jesus shed His blood for us can one join the others... and then receive their first Holy Communion.

The acceptance of this is not done in private. There is no saying the "sinner's prayer" on your sofa watching television, or in your car driving to the store.... it is a very public acceptance of youir ready to belong.

So as someone asked above... are all of us baby baptized people going to hell when we die?
When you read what i wrote above , you gonna know why so many hate this flea . IT WONT BUDGE FROM THE BIBLE .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

infant baptism is the start of no such thing . RATHER ITS BELIEF and FAITH IN JESUS that is the start of our growth .
BUT YOU GO and truly learn what that means . AS far as the protestant belief of anything . DO TRY AND REMEMBER
i speak as much against their false doctrine as i do the false doctrine of the RCC .
BULLSEYE and BIBLE TIME my friend . this flea , by grace and by grace alone shall indeed stick to that holy beautiful book .
And before thou answerest me as does the RCC , REMEMBER this
EVEN THE JEWS HELD TORAH . PERFECTLY GIVEN OF GOD and perfectly re written through the ages .
AND YET STILL with many of them same leaders whose scholars had so perfectly recopied torah , GOD WAS NOT WELL PLEASED .
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND what i last wrote . cause the RCC maketh many claims about WHY IT BE THE CHURCH
and the claim it put together the scrips , DONT FLOAT with me . meaning , IF UNBEILEIVIG SIN LOVING leaders
of the jews could faithfully recopy torah , DONT MARVEL IF WHORE LOVING RCC could do the same .
YE SHAL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS , not by their claims .

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
infant baptism is the start of no such thing . RATHER ITS BELIEF and FAITH IN JESUS that is the start of our growth .
BUT YOU GO and truly learn what that means . AS far as the protestant belief of anything . DO TRY AND REMEMBER
i speak as much against their false doctrine as i do the false doctrine of the RCC .
BULLSEYE and BIBLE TIME my friend . this flea , by grace and by grace alone shall indeed stick to that holy beautiful book .
And before thou answerest me as does the RCC , REMEMBER this
EVEN THE JEWS HELD TORAH . PERFECTLY GIVEN OF GOD and perfectly re written through the ages .
AND YET STILL with many of them same leaders whose scholars had so perfectly recopied torah , GOD WAS NOT WELL PLEASED .
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND what i last wrote . cause the RCC maketh many claims about WHY IT BE THE CHURCH
and the claim it put together the scrips , DONT FLOAT with me . meaning , IF UNBEILEIVIG SIN LOVING leaders
of the jews could faithfully recopy torah , DONT MARVEL IF WHORE LOVING RCC could do the same .
YE SHAL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS , not by their claims .
save-image.png

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptists believe that infant Baptism is invalid. Anglicans, Episcopaleans, and Lutherans (among others?) believe it is valid. All read the same Bible, claim to be led by the same Holy Spirit in their interpretation of the Bible, and come up with contradictory interpretations. There must be some other source than the individual reading his/her Bible that can be a sure guide, right? Or do you think Jesus would just leave it randomly to anyone reading Scripture to get it all right? Or would He care that they got it right or not?

Jesus founded a (one) Church, which St. Paul refers to as the "pillar and foundation of truth" in 1 Tim 3:15. This is the sure guide that Jesus left us!

Reactions: RedFan

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptists believe that infant Baptism is invalid. Anglicans, Episcopaleans, and Lutherans (among others?) believe it is valid. All read the same Bible, claim to be led by the same Holy Spirit in their interpretation of the Bible, and come up with contradictory interpretations. There must be some other source than the individual reading his/her Bible that can be a sure guide, right? Or do you think Jesus would just leave it randomly to anyone reading Scripture to get it all right? Or would He care that they got it right or not?
There is another possibility. Perhaps the gospel writers and Paul just didn't think infant baptism would ever be a contentious issue, and so didn't see a need to be more specific on the point than they were. They were all Jews -- and with infant circumcision such a noncontroversial thing, they may have just assumed that infant baptism as the new initiation rite into the New Covenant would likewise be a noncontroversial thing.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is another possibility. Perhaps the gospel writers and Paul just didn't think infant baptism would ever be a contentious issue, and so didn't see a need to be more specific on the point than they were. They were all Jews -- and with infant circumcision such a noncontroversial thing, they may have just assumed that infant baptism as the new initiation rite into the New Covenant would likewise be a noncontroversial thing.
Or, better yet, maybe they never anticipated anyone questioning the baptism of infants 16 centuries later?

Here's a good article on infant baptism: Infant Baptism

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees and tenting his
fingertips, touching them to his chin as he studies me intently. After a
measured silence, he asks me if I have considered what might be
impairing my own certainty on the subject. The lack of explicit
confirmation in Scripture, I respond. He seems dubious, and tells me it is
folly to expect from Scripture an unequivocal answer to every theological
question. I ask where, then, they are to be found. He peers directly into
my eyes and gently responds: “Why, within your own heart, of course.
God reveals himself to those who truly seek him; but we must do so in
the proper spirit.”

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go by God's Word.

Challenge.

lest we forget...

Scripture gives us clearly what baptism is, to twist it to make it fit a private interpretation just doesnt work. Need to go into prayer and ask for understanding and discern..

Reactions: amigo de christo

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture gives us clearly what baptism is, to twist it to make it fit a private interpretation just doesnt work. Need to go into prayer and ask for understanding and discern..
There is no twisting.

I want to know what scripture says a household is.