The False vs True Gift Of Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Baptists" are who you listed.

(Im not a Baptist)

You left out the other 200 denominations in the USA.
Hope you aren't cessationist Behold...?

We can err either by being cessationists who don't believe God does miracles or gives spiritual gifts any more....or by going off the deep end making spiritual gifts and manifestations into an idol.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why the book of Revelation refers to the 3 unclean spirits in Rev 16:13 coming out like frogs.
Rev 16:13 "And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet."
Why frogs? Is it because they jump or make croaking sounds? I don't think so. It may be because frogs use their tongues to catch prey.

Not saying it is all conclusive, but it is an interesting thought.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope you aren't cessationist Behold...?

We can err either by being cessationists who don't believe God does miracles or gives spiritual gifts any more....or by going off the deep end making spiritual gifts and manifestations into an idol.
The correct assesment as to what pertains to us today concering the bible .
In other words the question i am about to ask is gonna be a real simple one with a real simple answer .
Now i could make this into a long long long speech .
But lets just keep it short and oh so sweet .
WHEN reading what JESUS taught in the gospels
and later what EVERY apostel left us in their letters
the question is HOW do we know what pertains to us in THESE DAYS .
The short answer , ALL
the long answer ALL OF IT .
What was good for the early church IS GOOD FOR THE CHURCH OF TODAY . Yet
many twist omit and due to mens teachings add or take from what was already written and left for us TO LEARN .
SEE HOW SIMPLE IT IS . IF JESUS or the apostels said it , THEN IT DO APPLY TO EVERY SINGEL BELIEVER .
THEIR WORDS are as TRUE TODAY as they were BACK THEN .
JESUS CHRIST IS THE SAME , FOREVER .
THIS LAMB KEEPS IT REAL DARN SIMPLE . BUT THAT IS WHY
ANY and all denominations , rep or dem , conservative or liberal , CANNOT STAND ME . i expose all errors
and point only TO WHAT WAS WRITTEN , TO THAT GOD , HIS CHRIST , THE DOCTRINE HE INSPIRED . Now how simple be that .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why the book of Revelation refers to the 3 unclean spirits in Rev 16:13 coming out like frogs.
Rev 16:13 "And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet."
Why frogs? Is it because they jump or make croaking sounds? I don't think so. It may be because frogs use their tongues to catch prey.

though this might not be what it meant , ONE can sure see truth in it . ITS BY THEIR TONGUES THEY DO CATCH THEIR PREY .
that was rather odd what you said , and yet in part I SEE TRUTH all over it .
Though of course this might not be what it means , It might be what it means .
Cause by the tongues of these leaders and their smooth talks they sure seem to be catching many folks indeed
and bringing them by their tongues into the mouth that leadeth to the chamber wherein their fate is sealed
and their remains be but as dung to be spilled upon the earth .
The key to also take away from this IS WHAT the scripture itself says
THEY ARE SPIRITS . and yet many look to the earthen realm for a coming this or that .
BUT SPIRITS WORK THROUGH MEN and we are way farther along than most realize .
YOU SEE i already see spirits at work , through men , through kings and through one who sits high above the world .
and through its love song is spinning and catching prey as do a spider , or a frog perhaps
and gathering the tribes , religoins , both great and small right unto a lie that does gather them
only it calls this lie , LOVE . and it aint THE LOVE OF GOD but of the world .
AND IT IS promising them that by unifying all religoins and peoples THEY WILL HAVE WORLD PEACE N SAFETY
a UTOPAI of all UTOPIAS
BUT there will be no peace unto this lie or its father or its mother or those who sat under it
ITS ideals of what leadeth to peace n saftey , ARE LEADING ONLY TO SUDDEN DESTRUCTION BY THE GOD , BY THE CHRIST
its love HAS DENIED . WE MOVING FAST in these last days sister , THE END IS COMING
the END OF all flesh IS COMING ,
THE DAY AND HOUR OF THE LORD APPROACHES and HE COMETH TO DESTROY all who denied HIM ,
all who DENIED THE CHRIST . ALL WHO rather sat under an image of GOD , of CHRIST
and by its love DECIEVED THEM ALL . OH i am deeply troubled and very concerned and have great fear ,
BUT NOT FOR ME . I HAVE MY PEACE concering MYSELF . MY FEAR BE FOR THEM . FOR THEM

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Local Assembly is "Messianic".
call no man rabbi
and let he who is uncircumised not try and become circumsized of the flesh . YA BETTER WATCH OUT .
i bet even now you are looking forward to the NEW TEMPLE built by hands
Though i hope this be not the case .
I am watching ALLLLLLLL
denominations going under the WRONG INFLUENCE .
SO allow me some questions so as i can better assess what it is you do believe .
WHAT DO YOU THINK about THE ABRAHAM PEACE ACCORDS .
lets start with that . HOW do you view it .
HOW do you view the religious tolerance act that trump was behind .
Lets start with those two questions .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Im not a Baptist)

many only go after a few denominations and yet hold to their own .
And yet i tell us all there are a few who hold to NO DEMONITAIONS
expose all errors and BELIEVE YOU ME , THESE BE HATED BY ALL DENOMINATIONS .
this lamb keeps things real simple behold .
What was left to us by the apostels , APPLIES TO US . ME NO PICK AND CHOOSE SQUAT
now i DO SUGGEST WE ALL GO AND DO LIKEWISE . too many , cough cough , way TOO MANY
are even guilty of what they are accusing the others of doing .
TIME WE BIBLLED UP FOR OURSELVES and BOY DO I MEAN REAL FAST my friend .

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Im not a Baptist)

ok
That's nice.
Nothing wrong with being a Baptist.
They just lower the bar.
Others as you point out lower it also. The man that teaches our men's bible study which is practically 100% Baptist is also a Baptist himself. He went to a Revival meeting one time and there was prayer afterwards and they laid hands on him and he fell down laying in the spirit. He could not describe it he didn't have words to describe it but he said it was the most wonderful thing. That was maybe 15 or 20 years ago. He talks like he wants more of God like he understands that his Baptist denomination does not live up to the word of God. He reads the Bible he sees some miraculous signs and wonders and miracles and healings and moving of the Holy Spirit. And he talks about it all the time. But he won't go someplace and get hands laid on him for the second experience of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So I kind of see it it's just talk

Reactions: The Learner

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said I have many Baptist friends.
I never attack them.
Nor did I anywhere in my post you ACCUSED me of.
Oh the irony.

To each of the seven churches in Revelation the Lord through John told them:

"‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches"

Was the Lord and John attacking them, or were they trying to help them by pointing out a problem - with the problem being that they are not hearing the Lord via His Holy Spirit???

Too often in these days there seems to be this "victim" mentality where if you reprove someone they think they are being attacked!!

My parents took me to a conservative Baptist church as a child and what was written about not knowing a Baptist that hears the Lord is not surprising. Still, it was at that church I felt the Holy Spirit come on me as a nice feeling when I should have been bored at the same time an altar call was made, so I went forward and got baptized for the first time. Still, because I never heard from the Lord not saw anymore reasons to believe, I went my way when I got in high school and beyond. I worked and had a family, but when weird things were happening one day I stood in front of my house calling on God to speak to me, but I didn't hear a word from Him. It turned out that I was expecting God to speak to me in sound waves, but God is spirit. They never explained that in that particular Baptist church I had been taken to as a child. Thankfully the Lord fixed that problem by waking me up one morning saying, "Read Your Bible", and those words hit me like a powerful smack to the side of the head.

So I learned to hear from the Lord via His Holy Spirit and that small voice which is near us so that we pick it up in our spirit - meaning the Word of God we preach is found in our mouths and lips, not our physical ears or even our Bible. That was not preached at that Baptist church!!

And when I found the Lord and went back to another conservative Baptist church, I found out at that church there were a few people who heard from that small voice of the Lords, but they usually kept quite, because it was only ok to hear "what the Spirit says to the churches" on rare occasions and by certain people in the church.

How sad it was, that they actively put down people for saying to hear from the Lord, except in rare occasions! I remember going to a "Gifts of the Spirit" class they had. They gave us a test which we filled out. Mine came back with a strong gift for prophesy, and the lady leading the class actually took the time to point that out to the rest of the class just to make fun of me. She proclaimed boldly that God does not give prophecy today - and she was the person they had leading a class of gifts of the Spirit? It was just sad!!

Now before I go on further, this is not true for all Batist churches, but it is true that in one way or another 'the angel' (religious spirit) at all the churches who wants the chief seat, tries to keep the Lord's people from hearing what the Spirit has to say to the churches. It just happened to be more a bigger problem at those conservative Baptists churches.

I remember another time when I was working in the children's ministry, and the Lord had me give a word to a pastors child to give to him. It was an encouraging word and could not have been received in a negative way, but I told the child to tell him the Lord had said. I was kick out of working with the kids after that. I "ironically" (since rebuilder 454 like 'irony') that churches was desperate for people to work in the children's ministry at the time, so that they were asking (almost begging in their messages before service) for more people to help in the children's ministry. And so it was that the Lord had already asked me to help, and they had to kick me out of it because I told them that the Lord spoke. And 'more irony' - I was a retail manager with ToysUs' that famous kids toy store at the time, and was never good at fixing things. The lowest scores on my 'gift of the Spirit' test was in the area of working with my hands. Their own "Gifts of the Spirit" test was supposed to help them find the right place at the church for me to help, yet me giving a word from the Lord they put me to fixing chairs at the church under the maintenance guy who never came around.

I did that for a while until I had fixed everything first assigned to me, and could not find the guy to get more work from. That pastors used to come by me while I was working and they never ever said anything to me. So I was talking to the Lord about this and He told me that He was going to take me to another church. He took me to a very Charismatic church, which blew me away. Everyone at that church including the kids heard from the Lord and well. I help in a children's class there and told them a parable the Lord had given me, and ask them "How do you think I got that parable?", and they all answered that they felt the Lord had told me it. I was shock that all the kids there knew about hearing from the Lord personally - shock I tell you!! Each and every child at that Christian church seems to hear and understand about hearing from the Lord than any of the pastors at that prior Baptist church!

But don't get me wrong - I am not talking about every Baptist church, nor every person in any Baptist church!! One of the most prophetic men I ever knew personally was an old Southern Baptist pastor. However I meet him at that same very Charismatic church the Lord had taken me to. And since that was over twenty years ago, I have learn a lot from the Lord since.

I met a wonderful old lady who attended a very conservative Baptist church who heard from the Lord so very well, and she gave me so many wonderful little saying the Lord told her. She called them "popcorn" because the Lord just kind of 'popped" them into her head. And I also knew a Baptist pastor of 35 years with a doctorate. degree in theology who was on the board of a well known Baptist college who one told me that he personally had not heard the voice of the Lord for over 13 years - but he had heard the small voice a few times in his life.

Yet the Lord has told me, and over and over and over, to preach Him as the Word of God and that to mean that He wants His people listening to Him everyday called "Today"!!!

So am I "attacking" those churches who do not get those at their churches to "hear what the Spirit has to say", or am I trying to help them????

I say and boldly 'QUITE PLAYING THE VICTIM AND START SEEKING THE VOICE OF THE LORD!!!!!'

And encourage others to do that also! It's called preaching the Word of God!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen....might be related to one of the "plagues" of Mystery Babylon as well.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My Local Assembly is "Messianic".
Oh, I forgot you are living in Israel. I'm not Jewish but have attended some Messianic services here in the Toronto area in the past. Are you Jewish yourself?

What are believers there in Israel thinking about the new temple that is to be built..? (As i believe it will be.)

Reactions: amigo de christo

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently he was pro "second work" ,via the baptism in the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues ,via the laying on of hands as demonstrated in the book of acts?
Is that what I am reading in that book?
True, also many times when the Spirit came upon people in Acts, they gain boldness to speak the truth. That is where he is coming from. He was a great evengelist.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess it is a flash back to the plague of frogs thru Moses.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that unknown languages and Revelations must be tested to see if they are really from G_d.

OK - how do you test them???

Some of the things said seem to be wise, but are they?

Look - we are supposed to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and that needs to mean we walk and talk with Him!! So we speaks to Him and He speaks to us! But do we do that?????

In the Scriptures we find that we are to take all thoughts captive to Jesus Christ? But what does that mean??

Do we believe we can just talk with Him, and listen to what He says to us??

Religious people!!!

If you really know Jesus Christ you hear from Him via His Holy Spirit. So if you want to know what is being said in tongues, you just ask Him and listen!! Is that 'testing' the 'unknown languages'???

Maybe it is just talking with the Lord about what is going on??

YEAH - tongues was designed to get the "believer" to just talk with the Lord about what is going on!! But the 'Religious people' - those people going after evil spirits that make is about the things of God instead of God (religion)- start saying and getting concerned over so many things!!! They are quote "Believers" but they don't just talk to their Lord who is always with them to talk to them!!

So it comes across "You have to test the spirits!!" - when it should just come across "well - I just talk to the Lord about it."

So for me - when the Holy Spirit hits me with that fire inside that causes me to speak in "tongues", I just ask, "What's up Lord?"

Is that "testing the spirits"? Perhaps that is just walking and talking with the Lord? Is there not something written about seek and you shall find?? Who about something about when you ask for something good you are not going to get something bad? Anything in your Bible on that??

And if perchance I happen to hear someone else at church speaking in "tongues" can I not just do the same things and ask my Lord Jesus Christ something like: "Do I need to know anything about that Sir?" and then listen to what He tells me?

However - If I really think that there is something wrong and it is from the devil instead of the Holy Spirit (and that is not mentioned in the Bible, but just in case) I can test the spirits - but does the person saying to test the spirits even know how the Scriptures explain to do that?

It so easy and simple - but only if you actually believe in Him who is always with you and again can just walk and talk with Him - to test the spirits you simply see if they can or will tell you that Jesus Christ came in the flesh - That is you speak to that spirit and say, "Confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh", and listen - right? And that takes what - perhaps a second or two?

1 John 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;

But instead we have some big long post that show that we are not actually just walking and talking with the Lord by faith but are fearing the devil!!!

It is that same story of the servant of the prophet is concerned because he sees the enemy all around the city, but can't see the army of God in their chariots of fire around all of them? So it is written that with their ears they barely hear and with their eyes they don't see!

2Kings 16: 6,7 Now when the attendant of the man of God had risen early and gone out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was circling the city. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”
So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
Then Elisha prayed and said, “O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” And the LORD opened the servant’s eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

And that is basically what this thread is all about!

We have some 'attendants' of the man of God (Jesus Christ) and they are fearful of the enemy, and that because they don't see what is around them, but just the enemy! So their eyes are not yet opened to see that there are more with us than against us! So we need to test the spirits, right? Or maybe we just need to open our eyes and ears to the Lord our God Jesus Christ???

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
new agers believe they hear from Christ as well
muslims believe they serve God
as do the false religoins .
THERE be a sure solid way of testing the spirits all right .
any spirit , any voice , any tongue any interpreation of the tongue
and word , thought or feeling , IF IT CONTRADICT biblical truth , if it contradict
the TRUE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY , WHICH IS THE TESTIMONY of JESUS CHRIST , then its false .
Even if one comes along and speaks great words
and has dreams and tells of a vision and even if that vision or dream come to pass
and yet that person is leading one into the acceptance of a false love , of a lie , of something contrary to THE WORD of GOD
HEED IT NOT .
FOR THE LORD GOD does test and prove to see whether we love HIM or not .
We might wanna read deut chapter thirteen verses one through seven a few times .
Cause even if one do have a vision or a dream and even if that vision do come to pass
IF that is the voice of a false one , of a man who claims other religoins serve the same God we do
and is leading you astray into that concept , IT BE FALSE .
And THE LORD does allow such things to occur .
Just as HE allows the FP and etc to peform miracles by which to decieve them who dwell upon the earth .
SO TEST ANY AND TEST ALL and do so against sound biblical doctrine .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I forgot you are living in Israel. I'm not Jewish but have attended some Messianic services here in the Toronto area in the past. Are you Jewish yourself?

What are believers there in Israel thinking about the new temple that is to be built..? (As i believe it will be.)
Trivia time .
What is the one city , one kingdom , one jerusalem that the apostels spoke of
and all looked forward too .
was it A , the natural kingdom , city , temple , jerusalem ,
or was it B . THE HEAVENLY wherein the temple is GOD and the lamb .
MANY are and many will be decieved into a hope , a temple , a city , a kingdom , a jerusalem
WHICH STILL BE IN BONDAGE and they will believe the lie that unifies them all as one .
THIS IS NOT looking good sister . I see this move increasing only the more in these latter days .
JERSUALEM which is FREE IS ABOVE , MOTHER to all the saints in JESUS CHRIST and the HOME that awaits us
at the end of our faith . Our kingdom be not of this world
and thus our hopes are not to be IN this world or its kingdoms or its kingdom of kingdoms .
Many are being decieved and worse they love to have it so .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the true gift of tongues . to some they heard it as gibberish but others , by the SPIRIT could hear the langaguge .
As seen in acts .
There is also the purpose of tongues to edify the person in spirit and if spoken in church
if one intreprets can then edify the whole church .
BUT there is this other move going on too . And it has taken a hold on many .
Its origin can be seen in the eastern religions , new age and etc . some call it the kunalini awakening .
They too can utter things but with this it is seen with kirks , twists , outbursts of laughter
giggling , writhing on the ground , head jerks and twists .
It was seen to enter into the realm of christendom BIG TIME under the guise of toronto blessing .
Folks were acting out , some walking around like dogs and etc . and they could not DISCERN it for what it was .
Note . NOTE to the reader ,
Be on gaurd that one does not speak against tongues because it is real
HOWEVER be on guard for this movemnt of another spirit as well .
The main thing is , In those churches you will often hear NO REAL BIBLICAL DOCTRINE
No correction of errors , rather its all about material blessings , certain manfestations
always focusing on the person as being the big thing . IF the SPIRIT is focusing on monies and prosperity
and the messages seem to be focused on earthly cares , pleasures , some big promotion , some big money coming up
THEN watch out .
CAUSE if we would examine THE BIBLE we would see something .
ANYTIME a generation , even the jews , or even the christains had error
THE SPIRIT was warning against such error . YET I DONT SEEM TO SEE any kind of
repent of sin , no messages about the dire wickedness that is being allowed to GO ON within the churches
rather its all about WHAT CAN I GET IN THIS LIFE , monies , wealth , prosperity , and mainly
about this other love stuff which has led the church far from the LOVE OF GOD .
ONE would think that in churches that have sold out the doctrine of GOD ,
sold out the love of GOD , and rather embraces the Love of the world
that the SPIRIT would not be uttering promises of BLESSINGS but rather DIRE WARNINGS TO REPENT .
THIS IS A MAJOR RED FLAG . I see churches swimming in sin and love of the world
and yet in them same churches those speaking in tongues or prophesying
Aint teaching the people to repent , but rather leads them into great promises of what they can become or attain in this life .
THAT MEANS IT AINT COMING FROM GOD AT ALL .
Well, if I spoke to you in Spanish, you would say, 'what gibberish', but if that is what you spoke it would be understood. God would not give man something that is of no use that cant edify or teach, He does things in a orderly and purposeful way. (Just a sidenote-I learned English first then went to the islands and forgot it and learned Spanish, then came back to the states (Miami) and the first day in school couldnt understand a word the teacher was asking, so asked one of the other students and in perfect Spanish he said, 'shes asking you your name'. It helps greatly if they speak the language you know...)

Last edited:
  • Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The unholy Harlot of all harlots has made a wedding feast
and made her cup ready and offers her cup of fornication unto all .
She cries let us merge together under the shade and shadow of her wings .
She has been and now is and moves within the realms and kingdoms of men .
To convince the world that the time to unify is now
She has married christendom unto the natural
She has merged them and they do her work
her all inclusive work as one . To seduce and to convince the peoples
that the time is now to have a religoin of love and she and her many daughters
will center it in Earthly Jersualem . They will merge and will believe a lie
they will and do believe that which is of anti christ
and the covenant of her dark rainbow is where they put their trust and hope .
BUT her rainbow is not OF GOD , and it will not protect them from the wrath of GOD and of the lamb .
IT is for this cause the wrath of GOD and of the Lamb shall surely come
FOR WHEN HE HAD CALLED they did not answer
WHEN the gospel had been sounded they rejected the love of the truth
and were given over to a delusion of great strength to believe a lie which will surely damn them .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if I spoke to you in Spanish, you would say, 'what gibberish', but if that is what you spoke it would be understood.. (Just a sidenote-I learned English first then went to the islands and forgot it and learned Spanish, then came back to the states (Miami) and the first day in school couldnt understand a word the teacher was asking, so asked one of the other students and in perfect Spanish he said, 'shes asking you your name'. It helps greatly if they speak the language you know...)
Correct . any langauge sounds like gibbersh and sounds to those who know not that langauge .
But the key about true tongues is this .
IF one were to do as did the apostels , say they were given tongues
the rejecters would hear but sounds
and yet to those who did hear they would hear it as though it were in their own langauge .
That is right . That means if one were speaking in tongues
and a spanish man , a german man , a french man were there , THEY WOULD HEAR it as though it were in their own langauge .
and yet ITS A HEAVENLY TONGUE given that can only be heard and recieved by those
whose ears are opened to hear it . This does not often at all occur within churches. usually
when it occurs in a church one would be speaking it and then another might just be given the interpretation .
On the day of pentecost , it was heard and it was real .
But reader , DO BE warned we do have us a false Spirit and false spirits at work as well .
YE SHALL KNOW THEM by their fruits and always remember that the SPIRIT of GOD does not act unseeminly .
IT aint gonna have folks wriggling around and acting like animals .
Just watch out and be on gaurd . FOR TWO THINGS .
the first let none be decieved by dreams visions , words , interpreations , tongues and etc
TEST ALLL
and second , beware that one does not speak against the true speaking of tongues . FOR THAT WOULD BE
THE SPIRIT ITSELF at work . SO the SAFE THING is to TEST THE PERSON , their message
against the biblical truth . IF IT DONT ADD UP , DONT HEED IT .