The Geat Commission

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
A year or so back my small group was considering what book we would study next. It was suggested that Jonah, being a fairly short book, would fit nicely into the time frame we had available. One of our group made the rather facetious comment that Jonah is the most useless prophet of the Bible. As we read through the story I had to agree that Jonah seems to have been just as much a problem as he was effective in completing God's task.

Just imagine the scene when Jonah turns up to his annual job appraisal.
Jonah: "The project you assigned me was completed successfully, on-time and within budget."
God: "Yes, the outcome was just what wanted. It was a really great result but I do need to talk with about your attitude. When I gave you that task you bolted for the hills like some young stud who has just been told three of the girls he's been dating are pregnant. The only way I could get you back in line was to stick you in solitary confinement for a few days in the most disgusting room in town.

The time-out did eventually make you understand your position on the totem pole and you did follow though on the task, but I'm really dissapointed with your attitude. Not only was it hard to get you focussed on the task but after the job was done you decided to sit outside sulking, and hoping that some earthquake would destroy the town.

Jonah: "Well what do you expect of me? You wanted me to tell those foreigners to clean up their act and be loyal to you. The current group is just fine and we don't need you bringing in more people from outside".

God: "I'm really getting irritated by this. There's a few people like yourself who just haven't been listening to what they've been told, and certainly haven't read the mission statement posted on the lunchroom noticeboard. This group has been chosen as strategic growth centre. Your purpose is specifically to spread the word and bring in new people from outside.​

[sup]6[/sup]"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD,
and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant—
[sup]7[/sup]these I will bring to(L) my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings
and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples."
[sup]8[/sup]The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."

Isaiah 56:6-8

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
A year or so back my small group was considering what book we would study next. It was suggested that Jonah, being a fairly short book, would fit nicely into the time frame we had available. One of our group made the rather facetious comment that Jonah is the most useless prophet of the Bible. As we read through the story I had to agree that Jonah seems to have been just as much a problem as he was effective in completing God's task.

Just imagine the scene when Jonah turns up to his annual job appraisal.
Jonah: "The project you assigned me was completed successfully, on-time and within budget."
God: "Yes, the outcome was just what wanted. It was a really great result but I do need to talk with about your attitude. When I gave you that task you bolted for the hills like some young stud who has just been told three of the girls he's been dating are pregnant. The only way I could get you back in line was to stick you in solitary confinement for a few days in the most disgusting room in town.

The time-out did eventually make you understand your position on the totem pole and you did follow though on the task, but I'm really dissapointed with your attitude. Not only was it hard to get you focussed on the task but after the job was done you decided to sit outside sulking, and hoping that some earthquake would destroy the town.

Jonah: "Well what do you expect of me? You wanted me to tell those foreigners to clean up their act and be loyal to you. The current group is just fine and we don't need you bringing in more people from outside".

God: "I'm really getting irritated by this. There's a few people like yourself who just haven't been listening to what they've been told, and certainly haven't read the mission statement posted on the lunchroom noticeboard. This group has been chosen as strategic growth centre. Your purpose is specifically to spread the word and bring in new people from outside.​

[sup]6[/sup]"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD,
and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant—
[sup]7[/sup]these I will bring to(L) my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings
and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples."
[sup]8[/sup]The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."

Isaiah 56:6-8

I was wondering, is this an indictment, and the guilty are to step forward before you, for you to render judgment? I fail to see how this post is leading to any edification to the Body of Christ. Was there an unspecified purpose I missed out on?
fivesense

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
I was wondering, is this an indictment, and the guilty are to step forward before you, for you to render judgment? I fail to see how this post is leading to any edification to the Body of Christ. Was there an unspecified purpose I missed out on?
No, nothing to do with guilt and judgment.
It's all about God's mission for his chosen people which is the same today as it was since Abraham:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 28:19

he says:"It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel;
I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

Isaiah 49:6

Unfortunately much of Israel became conceited about their relationship with God. Like Jonah they were unwilling to spread the word of both the Lord's wrath and His promise of salvation. This can be seen among many of God's people today who worry that inviting others to God will lower the standard of their church - 'We don't want people like that coming here'.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
No, nothing to do with guilt and judgment.
It's all about God's mission for his chosen people which is the same today as it was since Abraham:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 28:19

he says:"It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel;
I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

Isaiah 49:6

Unfortunately much of Israel became conceited about their relationship with God. Like Jonah they were unwilling to spread the word of both the Lord's wrath and His promise of salvation. This can be seen among many of God's people today who worry that inviting others to God will lower the standard of their church - 'We don't want people like that coming here'.

Are you implying that the "Great Commission" was given to the nations? I don't recall the Lord saying that. Did you ever find our Apostle Paul mention that to us? Where was that? Or, are you desiring to see the Gentiles usurp God's authority and take a commission upon yourself that was never given to the nations by God? I don't see that in the Scriptures.
fivesense

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
It doesn't make any sense for people who have not accepted the Lord to be the ones spreading the message.

So no, the mandate to spread God's message is to God's people.

This statement, the mandate to spread God's message is to God's people, is a good one. It has a basis in scriptural facts, therefore it is not in dispute. However, I sense that you may be leaning towards the notion that if one is a Gentile believer, saved through the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle to the nations, then one is obligated to take up where the Jewish believers failed, and carry the mantle, so to speak. That is what I am inquiring here. Are you saying that those who make up the Body of Christ somewhere received the commission given to the Jews? I am asking where that is found, if that is what you mean...
fivesense

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
This statement, the mandate to spread God's message is to God's people, is a good one. It has a basis in scriptural facts, therefore it is not in dispute. However, I sense that you may be leaning towards the notion that if one is a Gentile believer, saved through the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle to the nations, then one is obligated to take up where the Jewish believers failed, and carry the mantle, so to speak. That is what I am inquiring here. Are you saying that those who make up the Body of Christ somewhere received the commission given to the Jews? I am asking where that is found, if that is what you mean...
fivesense
Absolutely yes - Maybe - and Not quite.

You've definitely picked up on the direction from which I understand the Bible, but there are a few points in your question which don't quite line up with scripture. I'll try to just briefly indicate point by point where I agree or not. I'm well aware that my covenant theology based approach to scripture is likley to be at odds with the understanding of many people on this forum. It is not my intention to cause disruption. Rather I hope to rationally explain what I believe, while still acknowledging the genuine faith we all have in Christ.

My beliefs will obviously lead on to a host of other theological issues, but I'd like to stay close to the topic of the OP. I'd be happy to respond to other questions in a different thread if anyone is interested.

if one is a Gentile believer, saved through the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle
  • Yes, that's correct in a general sense. However what Paul proclaimed is exactly what Jesus proclaimed.

the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle to the nations
  • There is no distinction as to who the message was proclaimed.

one is obligated to take up where the Jewish believers failed, and carry the mantle
  • I don't think Jewish believers have failed any more, or less, than Christian believers. I might as well confirm at this point that I regard all believers of whatever heritage to be God's people. Israel and the church are part of a single continuum focussed on Christ

Are you saying that those who make up the Body of Christ somewhere received the commission given to the Jews?
  • Yes the great commission as proclaimed by Jesus (not Paul) applies to God's people - as above, that means all believers of whatever heritage

In terms of the OP then, the great commission simply carries on the work expected by God of His people. As His people we need to avoid the attitude of Jonah, and be willing to spread God's message and receptive to new believers coming to faith. We don't have a special position in our relationship with God's which is in any way dminished or compromised by new believers.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Absolutely yes - Maybe - and Not quite.

You've definitely picked up on the direction from which I understand the Bible, but there are a few points in your question which don't quite line up with scripture. I'll try to just briefly indicate point by point where I agree or not. I'm well aware that my covenant theology based approach to scripture is likley to be at odds with the understanding of many people on this forum. It is not my intention to cause disruption. Rather I hope to rationally explain what I believe, while still acknowledging the genuine faith we all have in Christ.

My beliefs will obviously lead on to a host of other theological issues, but I'd like to stay close to the topic of the OP. I'd be happy to respond to other questions in a different thread if anyone is interested.

if one is a Gentile believer, saved through the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle
  • Yes, that's correct in a general sense. However what Paul proclaimed is exactly what Jesus proclaimed.
the evangel truths that were proclaimed by Paul the Apostle to the nations
  • There is no distinction as to who the message was proclaimed.
one is obligated to take up where the Jewish believers failed, and carry the mantle
  • I don't think Jewish believers have failed any more, or less, than Christian believers. I might as well confirm at this point that I regard all believers of whatever heritage to be God's people. Israel and the church are part of a single continuum focussed on Christ
Are you saying that those who make up the Body of Christ somewhere received the commission given to the Jews?
  • Yes the great commission as proclaimed by Jesus (not Paul) applies to God's people - as above, that means all believers of whatever heritage
In terms of the OP then, the great commission simply carries on the work expected by God of His people. As His people we need to avoid the attitude of Jonah, and be willing to spread God's message and receptive to new believers coming to faith. We don't have a special position in our relationship with God's which is in any way dminished or compromised by new believers.

Excellent Streetsweeper. It was pleasent to read your response. You presented yourself well and your thoughts are clearly defined. The message of truth is important to you, and that comes across in how you said your ideas.

Addressing issue one. If you have read the "message" that the Lord presented to us on the earth, and you subscribe to it, then I agree with you totally, it is a message of covenant intended to bind us to Himself according to our behavior. Agreement to His teaching on the Mount does indeed result in a covenant of law. His precepts exceeded that of the Mosaic Covenant, and in fact caused many to hate Him for the conviction it produced, which is what law is intended to produce. Yet, anyone who refused to follow His commandment were under a curse:

Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

That He said this is irrefutable and inviolate. Nothing has abrogated this for the Jewish people of God. All of the Hebrew writers attest to this, especially James, the Lord's brother, in his letter to the twelve dispersed tribes after the persecution started. They are still, as a race, under this curse, unless the are in the remnant of grace

Ro 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew...
Ro 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Recognize here that Paul is drawing a line where you will not. We are not, nor will we ever be "God's People". You must believe the Word, not human notions,

Eph 2:11 . Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

We were never given the promises to rule, of being a priestly nation, as mediators for the all nations. Israel alone has that given to them, they have suffered greatly and incessantly for this demonstration of God to the world. It is unfair to them, and dishonors God when we attempt to purloin that which belongs to them alone. This is what supposed covenant theology attempts to garner to itself, the glory of Israel, God's chosen people.

To issue number two. I ask you to please produce to me and to all who read these lines,
Where did the Lord speak of a joint body of believers, where Jew and Gentile shared equally in the same allotment? (Rev 2:26)
Where is it spoken by the Lord that all are justified by faith alone, not works of the flesh? (Mk 13:31)
Where does Jesus tell His disciples that they were freed from the Law? (Mt 5:19)
Did the Lord come to all people, of all nations, when He appeared? (Rom 15:8)

Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:
Ex 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Because they failed to keep this agreement, do you believe God has "let them off the hook", and is just going to forget about what He promised to them. Our God is not that God. He is not a man, that He should repent. His word will perform that which He spoke, and they will assuredly become these things as a nation.

Issue number 3. "I don't think the Jewish people have failed any more, or less, than Christian believers".

Ac 28:25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
Ac 28:26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:

Ac 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with [their] eyes, and hear with [their] ears, and understand with [their] heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Ac 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and [that] they will hear it.

Their failure to believe as a nation in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, as the Christ of God, was absolute and brought on them this curse of the Prophet Isaiah a third time. It is in force today unless they turn to the Lord, which they are required to do in the flesh (2C 3:13-16) Baptism and repentance are the keys to entrance into the New Covenant, which is belongs to Israel, not us. We are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves, or it becomes a work of the flesh. It is totally God's mercy and choosing of us, apart from works.

Issue four: "Yes the great commission as proclaimed by Jesus (not Paul) applies to God's people"

How right this statement of truth is, and parenthetically you agree, that Paul never preached the "Great Commission" anywhere in his writings to us. He could not do so and remain true and faithful to God's Beloved. We are ambassadors of the conciliation, whereby God is at peace with all men through the blood of the Cross. We are to beseech men to be conciliated to God, not to repent and be baptized in order to be saved. That is not Paul's evangel, that is the Circumcision evangel of John and the Lord and the Twelve.

Ga 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
Ga 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter;
Ga 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Ga 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

The refusal to agree with the Holy Spirit that brought forth these words recorded in Galatians is evidence of an unbelieving heart towards God. I am guilty of having harbored this unbelief myself. It has taken God much time and effort to get me to believe His Word above what I hold dear as truth, when it is in fact in conflict with what He has said.

I do not give up easily. My opinions are of great value to me, as I regard them in the light of inspiration. But they are not inspired. They are merely opinions, even if they mimic the Word. The touchstone of the Word and the witness of my spirit with Holy spirit is my only safety against my own unbelief. I also seek the confirmation of faithful ones in the Body, who are attempting to readjust their minds to be outfitted in the new creation.

2Ti 2:15 be diligent to present thyself approved to God-a workman irreproachable, rightly dividing the word of the truth
;

There are vast differences in the evangel of grace and the Circumcision evangel. By properly cutting the word of truth between the different administrations of God (oikonomia)and His elect we obtain more of the light we need to glorify Him in our hearts and minds, and become more conformed to the image of the One Who died for us.
fivesense