The Genesis Flood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I like the Chinese one the best - you can make a gourd into anything! Just think if they had duct tape - they could have traveled to the moon.
Very interesting to see what you are comparing God's Word to.

The writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit, but that does not mean that the Holy Spirit stole their human knowledge. These writers lived thousands of years before Christ was born. They were ancient people who know very little about their world. When Christopher Columbus wrote in his journal that he reached Asia, does this mean that he actually reached Asia? We already know that he never got there. It is the same with all people who lived in the ancient world. The message that God told the sacred author is not to be ignored. That message is simple: the wicked will be punished and those who are not wicked will be saved. That was the message that God wanted to convey through that historical local flood. In the Old Testament, God revealed Himself through Jewish history. In the New Testament, God revealed Himself through His Son, Jesus Christ. We would look at Jewish history to find God's message in it. And in Jewish history, the ancient Jews did not know that North and South America existed.

Genesis is the Word of God, not opinions of sinful humans.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course that gives you opportunity to declare the Bible account to be myth. Where does the Bible call it a myth?

Nothing wrong with a good myth, Ducky. No one is saying myths cannot be inspired. Everything in the Bible is supposed to be there.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Nothing wrong with a good myth, Ducky. No one is saying myths cannot be inspired. Everything in the Bible is supposed to be there.
There's a LOT wrong with calling God's Word myth! It is a VERY dangerous thing to tamper with His Word.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There's a LOT wrong with calling God's Word myth! It is a VERY dangerous thing to tamper with His Word.

Be careful Ducky - don't slander me again. Where have I 'tampered' with God's Word?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Be careful Ducky - don't slander me again. Where have I 'tampered' with God's Word?
Enough of your game Aspen. You have shown little if any sign that you believe the Bible is God's Word. I ask you again!!! Who is your God, if not the God of the Bible???

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Enough of your game Aspen. You have shown little if any sign that you believe the Bible is God's Word. I ask you again!!! Who is your God, if not the God of the Bible???

Game? You mean the game where I ask you to support your continual slanderous descriptions of me and you can't? I agree, it is getting tiring - but it is out of my hands.

I see you are still expecting me to buy into your psychotic delusion that I reject the Bible as God's Word, along with Rach, Foreigner, Shep, and everyone else who disagrees with you, right? Grow up, Ducky. If you have to ask me foundational questions about Christianity and my faith, you haven't been reading my posts at all. This means that you will be asking me the same questions tomorrow and everyday in the future, whenever you misread a post or comment I've written.

Face it! You need to be confrontational with people who have the capacity for abstract thought because we threaten your simplistic, concrete view of the Bible. Now get over it.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Game? You mean the game where I ask you to support your continual slanderous descriptions of me and you can't? I agree, it is getting tiring - but it is out of my hands.

I see you are still expecting me to buy into your psychotic delusion that I reject the Bible as God's Word, along with Rach, Foreigner, Shep, and everyone else who disagrees with you, right? Grow up, Ducky. If you have to ask me foundational questions about Christianity and my faith, you haven't been reading my posts at all. This means that you will be asking me the same questions tomorrow and everyday in the future, whenever you misread a post or comment I've written.

Face it! You need to be confrontational with people who have the capacity for abstract thought because we threaten your simplistic, concrete view of the Bible. Now get over it.
I believe YOUR word for the Bible was "myth". You have given ZERO proof for your comment. When you come up with Biblical proof that it is myth let us know.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe YOUR word for the Bible was "myth". You have given ZERO proof for your comment. When you come up with Biblical proof that it is myth let us know.

Where did I call the Bible a myth? Why do you continue to lie, Ducky?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Are you claiming that the Genesis Flood myth comprises the entire Bible?
You did call the Genesis Flood myth. And so Isaiah, Ezekiel, Job, Moses, Jesus, Matthew, Luke, Hebrews, Peter and Jude are teaching us myth, according to you. That's a pretty good chunk of the Bible. Since Jesus CLEARLY taught the Genesis Flood you are also attacking His teachings as myth.
And that's not including the rest of the Bible that you consider to myth. So far you have concluded the Bible to be myth and traditions of men. Which parts are God's Holy Word? Any?

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Are you claiming that the Genesis Flood myth comprises the entire Bible?

-- I find it amazing that a gentleman who is an active member of a faith that either currently or in the past has believed in:
- The infallibility of the Pope
- Praying to someone other than Jesus
- Mary not having children other than Jesus and being 'ever virgin'
- Mary being taken into heaven body and soul and never actually dying
- Wearing the scapular to ensure you are taken to heaven
- A simple ritual by a priest turns bread and wine or juice into the ACTUAL body and blood of Christ

....would feel the least bit qualified to question the authenticity of the Great Flood found in the Bible with a straight face.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You did call the Genesis Flood myth. And so Isaiah, Ezekiel, Job, Moses, Jesus, Matthew, Luke, Hebrews, Peter and Jude are teaching us myth, according to you. That's a pretty good chunk of the Bible. Since Jesus CLEARLY taught the Genesis Flood you are also attacking His teachings as myth.
And that's not including the rest of the Bible that you consider to myth. So far you have concluded the Bible to be myth and traditions of men. Which parts are God's Holy Word? Any?

That is quite a house of cards you have constructed. Once again, your are refusing to acknowledge the definition of a myth; refusing to acknowledge that I have declared my belief that the Bible is inspired by God and that everything in the Bible is supposed to be there; and refusing to acknowledge that Jesus was a storyteller - He referenced a lot of stories to make larger points - nothing wrong with telling a good story.

1. Where did I state that the entire Bible is a myth?
2. Where did I say the Bible is a tradition of men?
3. How is calling the Flood myth a myth, an attack?
4. Why are you resorting to slander as a means of discrediting me? Is it that important to you that I fit in the heretic box you have constructed for me?

Unless you are willing to believe and state CLEARLY that Jesus only used facts to teach truth, you have no leg to stand on.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
That is quite a house of cards you have constructed. Once again, your are refusing to acknowledge the definition of a myth; refusing to acknowledge that I have declared my belief that the Bible is inspired by God and that everything in the Bible is supposed to be there; and refusing to acknowledge that Jesus was a storyteller - He referenced a lot of stories to make larger points - nothing wrong with telling a good story.

1. Where did I state that the entire Bible is a myth?
2. Where did I say the Bible is a tradition of men?
3. How is calling the Flood myth a myth, an attack?
4. Why are you resorting to slander as a means of discrediting me? Is it that important to you that I fit in the heretic box you have constructed for me?

Unless you are willing to believe and state CLEARLY that Jesus only used facts to teach truth, you have no leg to stand on.
Did I miss you answer to, 'If your God isn't the God of the Bible, then who is your God?' It might help if you would clarify this.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The word 'myth' is what YOU used over and over Aspen. Did you provide any Biblical evidence at all for your 'myth' charge or are you just making this up? You are the one making charges against the Bible. Where's your evidence?

Isaiah 54:9 (ESV)
[sup]9 [/sup]“This is like the days of Noah to me: as I swore that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you, and will not rebuke you.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did I miss you answer to, 'If your God isn't the God of the Bible, then who is your God?'

[font="tahoma][size="2"]Here you go Ducky - this is the same answer I have always given when confronted with slanderous remarks about my orthodoxy - it was the first post I ever posted and it has been available since October 2010. Whenever you forget what I believe or simply decide to slander me as a heretic I will re-post it, just for you:[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="2"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="2"]I thought the best way to tell you about my faith is to include a personal creed, so here it is:

Personal Creed

1. I believe in the Trinity, the infallibility of the written and oral word, the incarnation of Christ, and the justification and sanctification of the soul.

2. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus, the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

3. I have a personal, participatory, justified and sanctifying relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ.

4. I am called to carry out God’s will by loving God, loving myself (recognizing God’s love for me and knowing who I am), and loving my neighbor through service.

5. I believe we are called to root out personal sin by working with Jesus in the sanctification process, which teaches our heart to love and results in perfection after death and resurrection.

6. My primary concern is to store up my treasure in Heaven by promoting a saving relationship in Christ, through the process of creating and participating in deep, loving relationships with my neighbors.

7.The ability to recognize the tragedy of personal sin in my neighbor serves a twofold purpose: to act as a mirror for my own sin, thereby aiding in my personal sanctification; to teach me perspective taking skills, empathy, radical love, acceptance of my neighbor, and the highest form of love; forgiveness.

8. I believe the existence of pain in the world is to teach us to trust, love and forgive through the pain; gain perspective on Christ’s sacrifice and God’s pain, loss and triumph; reveal Christ’s love for His children through service.

9. I believe the main subject in the OT is the omnipotence of God and the full array of human response to this truth. The main point of the NT is God’s response to His own omnipotence, which is love and forgiveness embodied in the man-God Jesus Christ, our ultimate example and only salvation.

10. All truth is God’s truth; therefore all religions, academia, and laws contain varying degrees of truth and are profitable for the development of our mind and relationships with others.

Peace
[/size][/font]

It might help if you would clarify this.

Based on your history Ducky - my statement of faith will clarify nothing for you. You will continue to slander whenever you disagree with my statements and continue to misinterpret what I am saying - it seems to be your only way to communicate outside of prooftexting.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Here you go Ducky - this is the same answer I have always given when confronted with slanderous remarks about my orthodoxy - it was the first post I ever posted and it has been available since October 2010. Whenever you forget what I believe or simply decide to slander me as a heretic I will re-post it, just for you:

[font="tahoma][size="3"]I thought the best way to tell you about my faith is to include a personal creed, so here it is:

Personal Creed

1. I believe in the Trinity, the infallibility of the written and oral word, the incarnation of Christ, and the justification and sanctification of the soul.

2. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus, the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

3. I have a personal, participatory, justified and sanctifying relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ.

4. I am called to carry out God’s will by loving God, loving myself (recognizing God’s love for me and knowing who I am), and loving my neighbor through service.

5. I believe we are called to root out personal sin by working with Jesus in the sanctification process, which teaches our heart to love and results in perfection after death and resurrection.

6. My primary concern is to store up my treasure in Heaven by promoting a saving relationship in Christ, through the process of creating and participating in deep, loving relationships with my neighbors.

7.The ability to recognize the tragedy of personal sin in my neighbor serves a twofold purpose: to act as a mirror for my own sin, thereby aiding in my personal sanctification; to teach me perspective taking skills, empathy, radical love, acceptance of my neighbor, and the highest form of love; forgiveness.

8. I believe the existence of pain in the world is to teach us to trust, love and forgive through the pain; gain perspective on Christ’s sacrifice and God’s pain, loss and triumph; reveal Christ’s love for His children through service.

9. I believe the main subject in the OT is the omnipotence of God and the full array of human response to this truth. The main point of the NT is God’s response to His own omnipotence, which is love and forgiveness embodied in the man-God Jesus Christ, our ultimate example and only salvation.

10. All truth is God’s truth; therefore all religions, academia, and laws contain varying degrees of truth and are profitable for the development of our mind and relationships with others.

Peace
[/size][/font]

I'm sure that's comforting to you, but how do you know that all isn't more 'myth'?

Based on your history Ducky - my statement of faith will clarify nothing for you. You will continue to slander whenever you disagree with my statements and continue to misinterpret what I am saying - it seems to be your only way to communicate outside of prooftexting.

I don't think that defending the integrity of the Bible would be called "slander" by God. I think that calling God a liar is much more serious.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm sure that's comforting to you, but how do you know that all isn't more 'myth'?

I don't think that defending the integrity of the Bible would be called "slander" by God. I think that calling God a liar is much more serious.

So...tell me how re-posting my personal statement of faith clarified anything? Seems to me it only provided you with more fuel for you to reject my opinion. It reminds me of a game my 5 year old nephew likes to play - 'open your mouth and close your eyes and I will give you a big surprise!" Somewhat harmless for a 5 year old, but certainly antisocial behavior for an adult.

As far as you 'defending the integrity of the Bible' - no one is attacking the Bible.

If you are claiming that I am calling Jesus a liar you are attempting to slander me again. Tell me where Jesus claimed that the Flood Myth was a fact - the verse you proved before proves nothing.

Are you claiming that you are justified in slandering me because you are defending the Bible and Jesus's reputation? The end's do not justify the means, Ducky.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
So...tell me how re-posting my personal statement of faith clarified anything? Seems to me it only provided you with more fuel for you to reject my opinion. It reminds me of a game my 5 year old nephew likes to play - 'open your mouth and close your eyes and I will give you a big surprise!" Somewhat harmless for a 5 year old, but certainly antisocial behavior for an adult.
Talk about being childish!
As far as you 'defending the integrity of the Bible' - no one is attacking the Bible.
:rolleyes:
If you are claiming that I am calling Jesus a liar you are attempting to slander me again. Tell me where Jesus claimed that the Flood Myth was a fact - the verse you proved before proves nothing.
You got it TOTALLY backwards. You have not provided Biblical proof that the Flood was 'myth'. Until you provide evidence for your claim then how are you not calling Jesus/God a liar???
Are you claiming that you are justified in slandering me because you are defending the Bible and Jesus's reputation? The end's do not justify the means, Ducky.
What slander? If you cannot back your charges against the Bible then stop making them. It's that simple Aspen. Stop with the false charges or provide proof.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Talk about being childish!

:rolleyes:

You got it TOTALLY backwards. You have not provided Biblical proof that the Flood was 'myth'. Until you provide evidence for your claim then how are you not calling Jesus/God a liar???

What slander? If you cannot back your charges against the Bible then stop making them. It's that simple Aspen. Stop with the false charges or provide proof.

My opinion is not a charge against the Bible! I am not teaching or correcting anyone's doctrine. The fact is, you cannot tolerate a different opinion on doctrine without perceiving it as an attack. There is no way to prove if the Flood Myth really happened or not - you choose to believe it did happen I choose to believe that it may have happened or it may not have happened. The word 'myth' which you have redefined as 'lie' or 'man's tradition' leaves the possibility open for an event to have happened or not. I am being reasonable and you are being rigid and resorting to slander and challenges to my very faith! Shame on you!