The Genesis Flood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TWC

Dec 1, 2008
It's interesting how some posters here will demand that others provide scripture to support a view in one thread, but when asked in another thread to do the same thing, they refuse.

Luke 9:23-24
Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

Luke 17:33
Whoever tries to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.

Those who would pray for salvation as a means of saving themselves from Hell do so out of selfishness. Salvation requires a repentant heart, one directed at God and His will, not one directed at saving itself. This isn't to condemn anyone, but rather to warn those who have been deceived with doctrines of self-preservation.

As to the OP:
I read the Old Testament stories like parables (not literal) because I get more out of them that way. That's not to say that I don't believe it could've happened that way, but that focusing on whether it did or didn't happen takes away from the many great lessons that this story contains. In other words, the moral of the story is much more important than the story itself.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to the OP:
I read the Old Testament stories like parables (not literal) because I get more out of them that way. That's not to say that I don't believe it could've happened that way, but that focusing on whether it did or didn't happen takes away from the many great lessons that this story contains. In other words, the moral of the story is much more important than the story itself.

I agree completely. Actually, literal interpretation of the scriptures is a new method.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Mt 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

I don't recognize YOUR Jesus Aspen. My Jesus said to fear God. I wonder how many pages your little bible of love would have. One? Two maybe?

-- Good point, Ducky.

Aspen criticized me in another thread for not providing a scripture to back up my position when I questioned the idea of praying to dead saints or to Mary instead of directly to Jesus.

But he himself said it is fine for him to do it....even though there is no scripture to support it.

Yup, that is the exact same word I was thinking.
I'm still trying to figure out who Aspen's god is. Certainly not the God of Moses, Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, Hebrews, Peter, Jude ... Certainly not the God of the Bible.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mt 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

I don't recognize YOUR Jesus Aspen. My Jesus said to fear God. I wonder how many pages your little bible of love would have. One? Two maybe?

I'm still trying to figure out who Aspen's god is. Certainly not the God of Moses, Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, Hebrews, Peter, Jude ... Certainly not the God of the Bible.

Personal Creed

1. I believe in the Trinity, the infallibility of the written and oral word, the incarnation of Christ, and the justification and sanctification of the soul.

2.I believe in the resurrection of Jesus, the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

3.I have a personal, participatory, justified and sanctifying relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ.

4.I am called to carry out God’s will by loving God, loving myself (recognizing God’s love for me and knowing who I am), and loving my neighbor through service.

5.I believe we are called to root out personal sin by working with Jesus in the sanctification process, which teaches our heart to love and results in perfection after death and resurrection.

6.My primary concern is to store up my treasure in Heaven by promoting a saving relationship in Christ, through the process of creating and participating in deep, loving relationships with my neighbors.

7.The ability to recognize the tragedy of personal sin in my neighbor serves a twofold purpose: to act as a mirror for my own sin, thereby aiding in my personal sanctification; to teach me perspective taking skills, empathy, radical love, acceptance of my neighbor, and the highest form of love; forgiveness.

8.I believe the existence of pain in the world is to teach us to trust, love and forgive through the pain; gain perspective on Christ’s sacrifice and God’s pain, loss and triumph; reveal Christ’s love for His children through service.

9.I believe the main subject in the OT is the omnipotence of God and the full array of human response to this truth. The main point of the NT is God’s response to His own omnipotence, which is love and forgiveness embodied in the man-God Jesus Christ, our ultimate example and only salvation.

10. All truth is God’s truth; therefore all religions, academia, and laws contain varying degrees of truth and are profitable for the development of our mind and relationships with others.

Peace

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Bible is the Word of God. Not myths and traditions.

[font="Georgia][size="2"]
[/size][/font]
[font="Georgia][size="2"]The Bible is the Word of God. It is an inspired record of man's spiritual relationship with God explained through the language of humanity; culture, myths, history, and parables.[/size][/font]

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Malachi 3:16-17

Then THOSE WHO FEARED THE LORD spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them; So a book of remembrance was written before Him FOR THOSE WHO FEAR THE LORD And who meditate on His name. "They shall be Mine," says the Lord of hosts, "On the day that I make them My jewels. And I WILL SPARE THEM As a man spares his own son who serves him."

[font="Georgia][size="3"]The Bible is the Word of God. It is an inspired record of man's spiritual relationship with God explained through the language of humanity; culture, myths, history, and parables.[/size][/font]

How many times do I have to ask for Biblical proof that the Genesis Flood was a myth??? Until you give Biblical proof I will consider it a lie.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How many times do I have to ask for Biblical proof that the Genesis Flood was a myth??? Until you give Biblical proof I will consider it a lie.

As many times as it takes for you to prove it is supposed to be a literal account. Until you do, I will consider you to be more concerned with being RIGHT about the Flood Myth than the people it was written for.

Wow, I am really learning a lot about being completely unreasonable from you Ducky! This is all so new for me......

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps salvation is only a 'myth' for you Aspen. Maybe Jesus didn't really mean what He said.

Actually, the NT wasn't written by Jesus......the resurrection account was written down by His followers.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So according to your reasoning it may all be myth. No salvation for anyone.

Because I believe the Flood may not have happened exactly as the Genesis account? It looks like your terror of the Lord is also the beginning of your slippery slope.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Because I believe the Flood may not have happened exactly as the Genesis account? It looks like your terror of the Lord is also the beginning of your slippery slope.
If He's only love as you are saying then I have nothing to worry about.

Alas, He's not.

"Esau I hated"

And that's before Esau was born.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If He's only love as you are saying then I have nothing to worry about.

Alas, He's not.

"Esau I hated"

And that's before Esau was born.

So He is also hate?

Actually, you do have something to worry about.....if you spend your life more concerned about being right and escaping Hell to save your own skin,,,,,you are going to miss out on God's plan for your redemption - learning to love perfectly through the guidance of the HS.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
So He is also hate?

Rom 9

11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad--in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger."<a name="7"> 13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rom 9

11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad--in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger."<a name="7"> 13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.

So God is hate?