The gift of tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wormwood said:
I don't know what you are talking about. Its a translation from one language, Koine Greek. That has no bearing on what I was talking about. In fact, the Greek explicitly indicates that not all have the gift of tongues. The question demands a negative response given Greek grammatical principles.
So you think that mean. Not everyone can or will ever speak in tounges.

Are are all saved? Is it Gods will for all to be saved? are all saved? So he would be lying if he said all speak in tounges he was stateing the obvious. I am talking about all the verses that are confussing unless you look them up. The average Christian today and since a long time thinks. saved means going to heaven. Without looking it up in the greek can you tell me what it means? The avearge Christian thinks Jesus died so they can go to heaven. So far from the truth. But thats what they think it says in the English. Thats what the avaerage pulpit teaches. Hence all the confusion. I dont think you or many if any know what the word saved means without looking it up. and if you look it up I dont think many if any really belive it either in full. I am only going on what I seen over the last 4 years or little more. Because I just dont see it any where in any churches.

So what you think it means isonly staeing a fact. No not all speak in tounges and mainly because there are so many like you teaching we cant. that is a flat out lie. I would gaurentee anyone who comes to me or any others with the same understanding. would have anyone speaking in tounges fairly quickly. I got it on youtube and so can you. So simple to flush away all the lies.
Ask Father for the gift of tounges and get on with it. Its for edifiying YOU THe Believers. The ones that dont speak are the unbelievers. How simples that. How can you be edified without it? You cant. Same with healing.unbelivers dont see healing.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:

Are are all saved? Is it Gods will for all to be saved? are all saved? So he would be lying if he said all speak in tounges he was stateing the obvious. I am talking about all the verses that are confussing unless you look them up. The average Christian today and since a long time thinks. saved means going to heaven. Without looking it up in the greek can you tell me what it means? The avearge Christian thinks Jesus died so they can go to heaven. So far from the truth. But thats what they think it says in the English. Thats what the avaerage pulpit teaches. Hence all the confusion. I dont think you or many if any know what the word saved means without looking it up. and if you look it up I dont think many if any really belive it either in full. I am only going on what I seen over the last 4 years or little more. Because I just dont see it any where in any churches.

So what you think it means isonly staeing a fact. No not all speak in tounges and mainly because there are so many like you teaching we cant. that is a flat out lie. I would gaurentee anyone who comes to me or any others with the same understanding. would have anyone speaking in tounges fairly quickly. I got it on youtube and so can you. So simple to flush away all the lies.
Ask Father for the gift of tounges and get on with it. Its for edifiying YOU THe Believers. The ones that dont speak are the unbelievers. How simples that. How can you be edified without it? You cant. Same with healing.unbelivers dont see healing.
"I got it on youtube and so can you."

Then that's the god you worship, youtube.

Reactions: Born_Again

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
tabletalk said:
"I got it on youtube and so can you."

Then that's the god you worship, youtube.

Thats a very shallow statement. Very insincere. You know nothing about me and make a statement like that. Why would you talk like that to a another Christian, assuming you are a Christian? Are you a Christian? You never heard my full testimony on how I got to speak in tougnes and you ridicule me. Just a little not to the Lady I spoke to in the Chat shout box. This is the kinda thing I am talking about. The horrible way Christians talk to each other as If Christ is never coming back. If me you and Jesus was siting together would you speak like that to me? What are you thinking Hes not coming back?

Dearie me man.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:

No, not all are saved. Yes, God wants all to be saved. We know this because Scripture tells us so. Does God want all to have the gift of tongues? No. The passage clearly tells us that the Spirit is responsible for giving gifts "as he wills." Clearly it is not God's desire to give everyone all the gifts or the gift of tongues. The passage, again, implies a negative response. Moreover, there is NO passage in the NT showing people being encouraged to pray for tongues. Rather, we see tongues fall on people without coaching and without expectation. The idea that we need to coach and encourage people to speak ecstatic utterances that have no human meaning is simply found nowhere in the Bible. So I don't know how you can say I am to blame for people not speaking in tongues. Show me a precedent.

So what does our discussion have to do with soteriology? Salvation means exactly what the English indicates.... to be saved from something. What you fail to understand is that not only are we saved FROM something (namely, the wrath of God on a sinful world), but we are saved FOR something (good works, glory and God's kingdom). The common understanding of "heaven" is basically a paradise where people dwell with God for eternity. So yes, we are saved so we can spend eternity with God. Call it the new earth, call it heaven, call it Abrahams bosom....it doesn't really matter. The point is that people are saved FROM wrath and FOR glory.

“Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” (Romans 5:9–11, ESV)

“For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.” (Romans 8:24–25, ESV)

“But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13–14, ESV)

“who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,” (2 Timothy 1:9, ESV)

Look, you can claim that I am the one causing people to not receive tongues all you want. The fact is I don't teach people they can't speak in tongues. In all honesty, I don't really teach on the topic at all. However, when asked about those specific verses, I simply teach what the passages say. They clearly and explicitly say that not all speak in tongues and its the Spirit who determines which gifts are given to which people. Not all people have the same gift. The Spirit gives a diversity of gifts so we can build each other. In fact, Paul is teaching the OPPOSITE of what you claim. He is rebuking the Corinthians for quarreling about tongues and is telling them that if they are going to be zealous about a gift, they should stop being zealous about tongues, because it is for self edification. Rather, they should seek to prophesy. So, the text is telling us that not only do not all speak in tongues, but that people shouldn't even desire that gift above other gifts because it doesn't really bless others. If we really love other believers, we should desire gifts that can help them and not gifts that focus on ourselves. That is the point. So, the issue you are having is not with my teaching, but the Bible's teaching on this subject. Its fine if you disagree, but don't say I am the one at fault here. I am simply explaining what I feel is the clear teaching of Scripture on this topic.

Reactions: pompadour

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
Thats a very shallow statement. Very insincere. You know nothing about me and make a statement like that. Why would you talk like that to a another Christian, assuming you are a Christian? Are you a Christian? You never heard my full testimony on how I got to speak in tougnes and you ridicule me. Just a little not to the Lady I spoke to in the Chat shout box. This is the kinda thing I am talking about. The horrible way Christians talk to each other as If Christ is never coming back. If me you and Jesus was siting together would you speak like that to me? What are you thinking Hes not coming back?

Dearie me man.
Sword: I did make a very shallow statement about you. I'd like to explain what I think about your statements; but first to ask you to forgive me for offending you and accusing you of worshipping you-tube.? I am sorry I did that. And, yes I believe the Lord Jesus, so I am called a Christian.

I have no desire to speak in tongues. So, because of this statement of yours I wonder if you consider me a Christian, saved by grace? You stated this: " Ask Father for the gift of tounges and get on with it. Its for edifiying YOU THe Believers. The ones that dont speak are the unbelievers. How simples that. How can you be edified without it? You cant. Same with healing.unbelivers dont see healing."

"The ones that don't speak are the unbelievers." Since many professing Christians, including me, do not speak in tongues, can they be saved?

Also, you said: "I would gaurentee anyone who comes to me or any others with the same understanding. would have anyone speaking in tounges fairly quickly. I got it on youtube and so can you."

This is what I object to; that you say to someone to ask the Father for the gift of tongues, then say you "got it on youtube and so can you". This seems to be denying the power of God, by using a gimmick to obtain the gift of tongues. This seems like a lack of faith. So, my above statement to you about worshipping You-Tube means that a person worships the words of men (You-Tube) or the word of God. If I were going to ask God for the gift of tongues, I would not look to any other source to make it happen.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sword: I did make a very shallow statement about you. I'd like to explain what I think about your statements; but first to ask you to forgive me for offending you and accusing you of worshipping you-tube.? I am sorry I did that. And, yes I believe the Lord Jesus, so I am called a Christian.
You never offended me. I pointed out the way Christians in forums often speak to each other. Pleased your a Christian and I accept your appology.

I have no desire to speak in tongues. So, because of this statement of yours I wonder if you consider me a Christian, saved by grace? You stated this: " Ask Father for the gift of tounges and get on with it. Its for edifiying YOU THe Believers. The ones that dont speak are the unbelievers. How simples that. How can you be edified without it? You cant. Same with healing.unbelivers dont see healing."
If you tell me your a Christian then you are . I will not judge you. You clearly said tounges is not for every one. I believe they are. Point I make is I believe they are and have them. You dont believe they are and dont have them. why becuase you dont believe they are for everyone. So that make you an unbeliever in this point. Your a Christian and I will not take that awy from anyone. You dont have tounges because you dont think its possible. So that makes you an unbeliever in tougnes for all. Nothing to do with you as a Christian. There are many Christian unbelievers in many things. Tounges,healing,prophesy etc.

"The ones that don't speak are the unbelievers." Since many professing Christians, including me, do not speak in tongues, can they be saved?
If your a Christian you are saved weither you talk in tounges or not. But because of misteaching and misunderstanding. You now stand on the unbeliveing side of tounges for all and any.

Also, you said: "I would gaurentee anyone who comes to me or any others with the same understanding. would have anyone speaking in tounges fairly quickly. I got it on youtube and so can you."

This is what I object to; that you say to someone to ask the Father for the gift of tongues, then say you "got it on youtube and so can you". This seems to be denying the power of God, by using a gimmick to obtain the gift of tongues. This seems like a lack of faith. So, my above statement to you about worshipping You-Tube means that a person worships the words of men (You-Tube) or the word of God. If I were going to ask God for the gift of tongues, I would not look to any other source to make it happen.
So as I said already . Just like the pharises Christians like you need to see it to believe it. Funny though how easy it is for people to beklieve Jesus died for them so easily. And would fight that its a fact I am saved brother oh yes Jesus died for me for sure. No way you can take that from me man. But if we dont see other people experiances. Its not true. why cant we just except that it might be true go to God and ask. Father I dont get this. Is it true. Lead me Lord and teach me. No we know better right of the bat every time we have an answer to every thing in here and every other forum. and every other church circle.
How is recieving the gift of tounges on YT denying the power of God when in fact it revealed the power of God in my life and in many others?
I recive the gift of tounges as I was lead to YT and you call it a gimmick? ( I am not offended) Just asking you to explian how you have this knowledge about me and others who recived and were lead to this gift by this means? And can call it a gimmick?
How does it seem like a lack of faith if I recived the gift by going there and doing what I was lead to. Far as I can see I was lead and went through faith and recieved through faith. Please explian in more detail how you came to your ascertation?

It was a woman and two men who lead me into speacking in tougnes, 3 vids. But I was lead there by the Holy Ghost. I have the fruit of it and you will know them by there fruit. So you say sorry for they for accusing me. But now you accused me of whorshiping men and still you dont know the full testimony of the gift I recevied?

So I can assume that you have never asked God for the gift of tounges. Well why dont you start by asking God if its for you. And see what God says. You are saying gifts is not for all. Do you know in your belief systen which gift is for you? Do any of the rest of you in this conversation know what gift is for you. How do you know. If you were lead. How would I know if you were lead or is it just what you think. See how mucjh confusion comes from what we think about what someone else says the bible says. I think we should let others talk. and ask God if they are correct. We like to jump right in and tell others they are wrong. Just because we never experianced what they are talking about.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Does God want all to have the gift of tongues? No. The passage clearly tells us that the Spirit is responsible for giving gifts "as he wills." Clearly it is not God's desire to give everyone all the gifts or the gift of tongues. The passage, again, implies a negative response.
You need to quote the verse you said thats says God said no to all having tounges? Where did God say no to all having tounges? Which verse is that in? All God gifts come from avoe correct. I dont see negitive there at all.

Moreover, there is NO passage in the NT showing people being encouraged to pray for tongues. Rather, we see tongues fall on people without coaching and without expectation. The idea that we need to coach and encourage people to speak ecstatic utterances that have no human meaning is simply found nowhere in the Bible. So I don't know how you can say I am to blame for people not speaking in tongues. Show me a precedent.
Sorry but you are wrong here man.

Paul says here in 1Cor 14:5 I want you all to speak in tounges. Why would Paul say that if it was as you say? Did paul say that and God never ? Paul only says what God wants. God clearly says here I want you all talking in tougnes. And Paul is doing the opposite to what you said. Paul is coaching for all to get tounges. Speaking in tounges is 100% way of getting YOU/Mam /Flesh and selfishness out of the way. So it is not as you say a selfish thing to edify your self. Here is how you are to blame for people not speaking in tounges. You are a leader here and you are saying its not for all. So because of people looking to leaders such as you for direction. You are keeping them from the gifts. Thats fairly clear. You are assuming the role of teacher here. I will speak on that a little later.
So what does our discussion have to do with soteriology? Salvation means exactly what the English indicates.... to be saved from something. What you fail to understand is that not only are we saved FROM something (namely, the wrath of God on a sinful world), but we are saved FOR something (good works, glory and God's kingdom). The common understanding of "heaven" is basically a paradise where people dwell with God for eternity. So yes, we are saved so we can spend eternity with God. Call it the new earth, call it heaven, call it Abrahams bosom....it doesn't really matter. The point is that people are saved FROM wrath and FOR glory.
Well I think I was clear on this in my statement. I was talking about unbeliers, who treat the gifts as not for all like you do. and it is the same with one word saved.
Salvation means so much more than the English says. heres the soarse. http://biblehub.com/greek/4982.htm

So You you claimed I fail to see that I am saved from and for. How do you know what I know? Why did you jump in and make a ludicrus staement like that? You dont know me. You have no idea what I know or dont know.
Jesus never died so you get a ticket for heaven. Jesus died to restore the Kindom of heaven. Jesus died to restore you to you Original Created Value. (OCV)
Yes we are saved from Gods wrath and all you quoted. Great. But the word saved means we are healed. We are preseved. We are rescued. The fact that most Christian think its a ticket to heaven is very evident in church circles. But what is ignored and activly argued against is we are healed. By His stripes we are healed. And from there we go on to lay hands on the sick and every thing changes from there as we become like Him and act and walk like Him and grow into Christ. We fully represent Him every where we go. This is the huge part we all missed and obviously I was correct you never mentioned it. No one is blaming anyone it all comes from misundestanding and all the misteaching that has gone out from all the churches and is still going on.

Look, you can claim that I am the one causing people to not receive tongues all you want. The fact is I don't teach people they can't speak in tongues. In all honesty, I don't really teach on the topic at all. However, when asked about those specific verses, I simply teach what the passages say.
You are assumiong the role of teacher and many many others are doing the same me included. I fully understand that Jas 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. And am ready to stand for that. Why do we treat this verse so lightly. For 23 years I thought I knew it well. $ years later. I know almost infinitly more than I thought I did 4 years ago. ANd theres more. So I dont teach on what I dont know. I dont debate on what I dont know. I talk/teach on what I do know.

You said I dont teach then said I teach. Fact is you do teach. And you will have to stand for it. as I will. This is why we must listen to others then take it to God. But what we do is find verses to back up what we believe is true and dont even ask God for help with it as most of us dont even have a personal relationship with God or ever hear Him. Sorry if I sound harsh, But hear my heart. And ask God is it true. any one tonight can ask for tounges and will recive it in faith. Then just open your mouth and let Holy Ghost flow in those silly sounding syllables, it will work for you. Would be nice if you all done it I would expect many testimonys tommorow.

They clearly and explicitly say that not all speak in tongues and its the Spirit who determines which gifts are given to which people. Not all people have the same gift. The Spirit gives a diversity of gifts so we can build each other.
Yes Paul said not all speak in tonuges as I said same as are all saved? No fact. I know all it says that you are quoting. But why are you leaning towards the negitive? You are looking up scripture to fit what you belive and you WILL find tham and make them fit. Paul clearly said again. Cor 14:5 I want you all to speak in tonuges. Is that a fact yes or no? He also said there are better gifts. He never said you will not get this or that or you will only get one. How are we to know what is for us if people teach not all with get. I could quote all the scriptures that tie into I will give you every good gift, ask in my name any thing you ask in my name etc. I will if you need them. If you know the heart of God There is NOTHING He will hold back. we all quote if He gave his Son what would He hold back. Then we say yeah But. Buts are devils. Yeah but He wont give you tounges. Really? Gos said he has no favs. What He will do for one He will do for all. God telling lies or are we? whos the liar. Keep in mind there is NO condemnation in Christ. He never came to condem us.

In fact, Paul is teaching the OPPOSITE of what you claim. He is rebuking the Corinthians for quarreling about tongues and is telling them that if they are going to be zealous about a gift, they should stop being zealous about tongues, because it is for self edification. Rather, they should seek to prophesy. So, the text is telling us that not only do not all speak in tongues, but that people shouldn't even desire that gift above other gifts because it doesn't really bless others.
No paul is not teaching the opposite. He is telling them tounges is not the big one. You clian self edification as if it is bad. You are contradicting the meaning of edification. Is edifcation ever bad for you? No. Its to build you up. We all need built up. Its good and from God. You cant get it wrong praying in tounges. Its never about you. Its actully about dying to self. So you are in contradiction as to what it is even for. tounges is to build up the body Church. Tounges for the individual is to build him/her up. So if A person has tounges and prays in tounges you are saying they are only for them selves. Why would God give it if thats all it is for?

If we really love other believers, we should desire gifts that can help them and not gifts that focus on ourselves. That is the point. So, the issue you are having is not with my teaching, but the Bible's teaching on this subject. Its fine if you disagree, but don't say I am the one at fault here. I am simply explaining what I feel is the clear teaching of Scripture on this topic.
Ahh Now love. sweet. First as I said you are contradicting scripure by saying tounges is only for us. Scripture does not say what you are implying here as a teacher of the bible. So its not the point.
Now all of a sudden we can desire the gifts but just not tounges, that makes zero sense man? No my issue is with your teaching. I have no issue with what Gods word says ever anywhere. I am sorry you think I am calling you out here. But I must . You have assumed the platform and role as teacher. And you are not telling what the bible says. You are telling everyone who reads this that YOU are correct and I am wrong. And the last thing I have is the bible says we dont go on FEELINGS and warns against it, and you are saying you do. Ok thats up to you. Your teaching is not to clear.

I would like to finnish with asking you if you know what you gift is? When you believe we only get one. What is your gift and how did you get it. You said If we really love believers etc. So I ers lay hands on the sick and the shall recover. So I start laying hands on the sick and they start recovering. Whats the chances eh? My hearts to heal and it works. The gifts are for all and we naturaly lean towards one. I am expecting yours is going to be healing. Just guessing though. Because my heart if for healing the sick. And I never asked for it. I was shown one verse that lead to many verses on healing. our hearts desire tends to walk towards one or another. Thats the first gift you will walk in. God says He will give YOU the desires of Your heart. The gifts are for all. No question about it. I know a man who had all the gifts working, before he even knew they were in the bible. All of your thought and teaching came from the pulpit. all of what I believe came from people who teach what they walk in.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sword said:
Where does the bible exclude anyone from any gift?

And if you could explain why I would not need anyone if I had all the gifts or anyone else?

If you could just give scriptures for all the claims you made please thank you.
Sword,

You've asked a couple of good questions here. The Bible provides answers to your questions, but you need to understand the Greek grammar that is used in 1 Cor 12:28-30.

The Greek text of I Cor 12:29 begins with μὴ πάντες (me pantes) the me expects a negative answer. Not all are apostles, prophets, etc.

The Greek of 1 Cor 12:30 regarding tongues and interpretation also begins with μὴ πάντες. It states μὴ πάντες γλώσσαις λαλοῦσιν; μὴ πάντες διερμηνεύουσιν (me pantes glossais lalousin; me pantes diepmeneusousin). This is literally: not all tongues speak; not all interpret.

When you don't understand the Greek constructions, that causes you to presume some issues about all not speaking in tongues.

The biblical text in the original language of 1 Cor 12:28-30 states that not all will be apostles, prophets, teachers, work miracles, have the gifts of healing, speak in tongues, interpret (tongues). How do I know? The grammar tells me so!

Throughout 1 Cor 12 there is an emphasis on 'varieties of gifts' (v 4) and the one body has many members (v 12) and 'the body does not consist of one member but of many' (v 14).

Therefore, not all Christians will speak in tongues.

Oz

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply but what you said has been said already. Iforrest said the same thing about the negitive.
And I never said ever that all would/will speak in tounges. The grammer may tell you what you think it does that facts are tounges are for all, but all will not speak in tounges. same as every gift not all will lay hands on the sick forsnt mean its not for us . It is. All the gifts are for all who will walk in them. You added nothing that wsnt said already. I dont know if you read the full thread.

God clearly said I want you all to talk in tounges. But Oz said its not true?

http://www.scripture4all.org/

This is a good soarse, interliner scripture analizer

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
tabletalk said:
Sword: Thank you for accepting my apology.
No problem, but it would be nice if you gave me your thoughts on the rest of my post. You agree, you dont agree, you learned something or not. Your taking it to God etc?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword:

Every time I have read chapter 12 in 1Corinthians it seems to clearly teach : there is one Spirit, many members of the Body of Christ, appointed positions such as apostle, and various gifts such as tongues. It says: "Do all speak with tongues?"

So, we differ significantly, since I think it teaches that individual members have various gift/gifts. Not, every member can have all gifts.

And, I have no desire to have the gift of tongues. I don't want to ask God to tell me if I should have that gift.

Peace, brother.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul says here in 1Cor 14:5 I want you all to speak in tounges. Paul is speaking on behalf of God so God says, I want you all to speak in tounges.

Peace to you also.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied;...."

It sure seems like he is simply exhorting those first Corinthians to seek to prophesy, instead of speaking in tongues. Along with the 12th chapter, he probably isn't saying every believer should speak in tongues. Wouldn't the 2000 years of the church have shown more tongue speaking in it's history if all were supposed to do that?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Best to stick with scripture not what we think would history would show. I dont understand why God says I want you all to speak in tounges . But you say No.
Yes Paul is telling them it is more valuable to prophesy. No ones arguing that. But you and ever other person so far has said the opposite to what God said. And you all feel your right.
I cant explian why the church doesnt speak in tougnes through the years as it could have. I do know that God says I want you all to speak in tounges and you are flatly refusing to do it. Thats between you and God. If you refuse to do it. Who loses? You do. Its a gift for all and you rerfuse it.

SO how do you stir up the spirit that dwells in You??

How do you edify your self to the same degree that praying in tougnes? I know of no other way in scripture do you?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
Best to stick with scripture not what we think would history would show. I dont understand why God says I want you all to speak in tounges . But you say No.
Yes Paul is telling them it is more valuable to prophesy. No ones arguing that. But you and ever other person so far has said the opposite to what God said. And you all feel your right.
I cant explian why the church doesnt speak in tougnes through the years as it could have. I do know that God says I want you all to speak in tounges and you are flatly refusing to do it. Thats between you and God. If you refuse to do it. Who loses? You do. Its a gift for all and you rerfuse it.

SO how do you stir up the spirit that dwells in You??

How do you edify your self to the same degree that praying in tougnes? I know of no other way in scripture do you?
I've received the greatest gift of all: the grace of God (a free gift), when I believed in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Am I commanded to stir up the spirit that dwells in me?

Am I commanded to edify myself?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
tabletalk said:
I've received the greatest gift of all: the grace of God (a free gift), when I believed in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Am I commanded to stir up the spirit that dwells in me?

Am I commanded to edify myself?
I asked you two questions and you ignored them. Then you ask me two and expect an answer? Hard to move forward in a one way conversation.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
I asked you two questions and you ignored them. Then you ask me two and expect an answer? Hard to move forward in a one way conversation.
O.K. 1. I don't know and don't want to know.
2. I don't edify myself.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Sword said:
Thanks for your reply but what you said has been said already. Iforrest said the same thing about the negitive.
And I never said ever that all would/will speak in tounges. The grammer may tell you what you think it does that facts are tounges are for all, but all will not speak in tounges. same as every gift not all will lay hands on the sick forsnt mean its not for us . It is. All the gifts are for all who will walk in them. You added nothing that wsnt said already. I dont know if you read the full thread.

God clearly said I want you all to talk in tounges. But Oz said its not true?

http://www.scripture4all.org/

This is a good soarse, interliner scripture analizer
Did I speak on this? Can't recall saying so.

I believe it is possible for all to receive the gifts only because I have experienced a taste of most of them. It seems they only show up when I need them.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
You need to quote the verse you said thats says God said no to all having tounges? Where did God say no to all having tounges? Which verse is that in? All God gifts come from avoe correct. I dont see negitive there at all.

Sorry but you are wrong here man.

Paul says here in 1Cor 14:5 I want you all to speak in tounges. Why would Paul say that if it was as you say? Did paul say that and God never ? Paul only says what God wants. God clearly says here I want you all talking in tougnes. And Paul is doing the opposite to what you said. Paul is coaching for all to get tounges. Speaking in tounges is 100% way of getting YOU/Mam /Flesh and selfishness out of the way. So it is not as you say a selfish thing to edify your self. Here is how you are to blame for people not speaking in tounges. You are a leader here and you are saying its not for all. So because of people looking to leaders such as you for direction. You are keeping them from the gifts. Thats fairly clear. You are assuming the role of teacher here. I will speak on that a little later.
Well I think I was clear on this in my statement. I was talking about unbeliers, who treat the gifts as not for all like you do. and it is the same with one word saved.
Salvation means so much more than the English says. heres the soarse. http://biblehub.com/greek/4982.htm
I'll try to answer these in the same order.

“Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.” (1 Corinthians 12:29–31, ESV)

In the Greek language, the grammatical construction of these questions imply a negative response to each question. But don't just take my word for it...

There is an important feature in the Greek grammar of these questions which is not always appreciated in English language translations of the New Testament. Based upon the details of the Greek text, Paul’s question implies that he expects a negative answer. Accordingly, when Paul writes “Are all apostles?” the answer is to be “no.” While common sense might tell most interpreters that God did not expect all believers to be apostles, the issue would be less obvious in regard to other gifts (e.g., tongues). It is helpful to realize, therefore, that the correct answer to all the questions of 12:29–30 is “no.”
Richard Oster, 1 Corinthians, The College Press NIV Commentary (Joplin, MO: College Press Pub. Co., 1995), 1 Co 12:29.
These are seven rhetorical questions that expect the answer “No.” TEV translates them by negative statements. Many languages will need to use similar statements.
Are all may be expressed as “Is every person …?” or “Not every person is.”

Paul Ellingworth, Howard Hatton, and Paul Ellingworth, A Handbook on Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians, UBS Handbook Series (New York: United Bible Societies, 1995), 289.

It is important to render the rhetorical questions in in English idioms which take full account of the use of μή to express hesitant questions which demand negative answers. The translation Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?… (NRSV, NIV, AV/KJV, RV) merely renders the Greek as if these were open questions; thus it is inadequate. The REB and NJB give a gentle (but perhaps not sufficiently explicit) signal in the omission of the verb after the first question: Are all apostles? All prophets? All teachers?… Idiomatic English will also avoid stylistic boredom which deprives subsequent phrases of their force by repeating the same structure, even if this is acceptable for Greek where the parallel structure compensates for repetition (as it does not in English). Hence we have (a) produced stylistic variations, (b) used forms which give appropriate weight to μή as a question which predetermines an emphatic negative answer, and (c) translated each phrase and term, e.g., effective deeds of power (for δυνάμεις), put the deepest secret things into articulate speech (for διερμηνεύουσιν), in ways which accord with our detailed exegetical discussions above.
Anthony C. Thiselton, The First Epistle to the Corinthians: A Commentary on the Greek Text, New International Greek Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 2000), 1022–1023.
So, no, Paul is clear that not all will speak in tongues. Does he want all to speak in tongues because it is a valuable gift? Yes. Does he want all to prophesy? Yes. That is not the issue. The issue is does God desire all to speak in tongues? The clear answer is no. God does not give all people the gift of tongues just as he does not make all people prophets. Don't confuse Paul's admission that the gift is valuable with the larger point. The point is that the Corinthians are fighting over a gift that Paul lists as one of the leasts of the gifts and not one that has its primary use in building up the church. This is why he speaks on love in chapter 13 and why he encourages them to seek "greater gifts." There is nothing wrong with the gift of tongues. It is a good gift (although I would define it differently than charismatics). The problem is that clearly Scripture teaches not all will have the gift and also that it is not the key gift to unlocking spiritual power or depth with God as many claim. If this were the case, clearly Paul would not teach that not all have the gift or that if the Corinthians were to seek a gift they should prefer to prophesy.