The 'Good Old Days'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Me too Mike. Some churches today want rock concert type worship and don't want to have to cater for older Christians. I even heard of one church actively encouraging it's older members to find a new church 'where they might feel more comfortable'.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just watching some of the particularly religiously-slanted episodes of The Waltons (or many of the old films) reminds me, all too well, that the "religion" a lot of people had in those days was often quite legalistically phony and frightening.

Reactions: aspen and Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too Mike. Some churches today want rock concert type worship and don't want to have to cater for older Christians. I even heard of one church actively encouraging it's older members to find a new church 'where they might feel more comfortable'.

Encouraging older member to find a new Church :eek: Wow. There is a Wesleyan Church where I know a few members of. They have two services at the same time, in different buildings on their property that hold one for the more contemporary music lovers and the other for the older members who prefer the old hymns.
I do love to gather with many during worship yet, I do not like the electric guitars, drums and such. Although, they do once in awhile get in an old time hymn, it's not nearly enough for me. And, I always loved and still do some of...Rock n Roll. But, not for worshiping our awesome God with. Not that that cannot be done...it's all in preference I suppose.

Reactions: Mike Waters

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We went to church with a friend a couple of years ago and people had to sit where the stewards seated them. They dimmed the house lights when the worship started and it was just like a concert with all the flashing lights at the front and the sound so loud you couldn't hear yourself sing. And so repetitive! Where is the reverence? I hated it. Our church likes some of the more modern songs as well as some older ones but we only have an electronic piano.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting note is that "the old hymns" we older people think is "real" church were the same kind of modern, contemporary, horrible new-fangled introductions that our great grandparents (like us today) considered Heretical, and a disgrace to God.

And our great grandparents' hymns would have been an insult to people living a hundred years before them...… and ALL of these songs (any of them) would be an assault to the ears of the Apostles.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting note is that "the old hymns" we older people think is "real" church were the same kind of modern, contemporary, horrible new-fangled introductions that our great grandparents (like us today) considered Heretical, and a disgrace to God.

And our great grandparents' hymns would have been an insult to people living a hundred years before them...… and ALL of these songs (any of them) would be an assault to the ears of the Apostles.

Yes! Kind of like fashions and hair do's :)