The Impassibility of God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
LOL...That's what happens when you judge a person by one subject. In any event I don't believe that God suffered on the cross I believe that Jesus suffered on the cross and is indicated by the fact that he cried out "my God my God why have you forsaken me?" God did not take on sin, but his only begotten son did.
This wasn't addressed to me but I did want to comment on it.

If God is love, which He is, how can you say God the Father did not suffer in forsaking His only begotten Son? How can you believe those two things? If that were true, then when God says He loves us, He really doesn't mean it. There is no real affection there. You cannot love something and then have no affection when that something suffers or is taken from you.

Jesus didn't cease to be the Son, God in the flesh, when the sins were laid upon Him. So, yes , God the Son did take on sin.

Stranger

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
LOL...That's what happens when you judge a person by one subject. In any event I don't believe that God suffered on the cross I believe that Jesus suffered on the cross and is indicated by the fact that he cried out "my God my God why have you forsaken me?" God did not take on sin, but his only begotten son did.
Jesus never ceased being God. You speak heresy here.

Hypostatic union states Jesus is fully God and fully human.

God, in the person of Jesus Christ, paid the penalty for sin; that being death. It is not that God ceased in being taking on death, the divine nature is eternal, yet the God-man died with the human nature in Jesus tasting death.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
Jesus never ceased being God. You speak heresy here.
Hypostatic union states Jesus is fully God and fully human.
God, in the person of Jesus Christ, paid the penalty for sin; that being death. It is not that God ceased in being taking on death, the divine nature is eternal, yet the God-man died with the human nature in Jesus tasting death.
Who's responsible for the hypostatic Union? You seem to have a real easy time using the word heresy especially for somebody that is a moderator, but given your predisposition for RT I can't say I'm really surprised by your reaction because it is typical of people of your ilk. I encounter it on every other forum I'm on, when it involves debating with Calvinists. Where exactly does Scripture support your view of the hypostatic union? Why else would Jesus have cried out as he did?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
This wasn't addressed to me but I did want to comment on it.

If God is love, which He is, how can you say God the Father did not suffer in forsaking His only begotten Son? How can you believe those two things? If that were true, then when God says He loves us, He really doesn't mean it. There is no real affection there. You cannot love something and then have no affection when that something suffers or is taken from you.

Jesus didn't cease to be the Son, God in the flesh, when the sins were laid upon Him. So, yes , God the Son did take on sin.

Stranger
Because I believe God is impassible and unlike you I don't relate to him solely with my own inferior human intelligence.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
I read the Bible as the Word of God for He wrote it.
Stranger
and yet you don't understand the different forms of grammar that is used in it. I challenge you to find any book in your local library that only contains literal grammar.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Because I believe God is impassible and unlike you I don't relate to him solely with my own inferior human intelligence.
Really? How else do you relate to him and how does that prove that God is impassible?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
and yet you don't understand the different forms of grammar that is used in it. I challenge you to find any book in your local library that only contains literal grammar.
Literal interpretation acknowledges the use of hyperbole's, symbols, allagories, etc. But not every thing said is a symbol or hyperbole or allegory. When the Bible says God is love, then there is no reason to interpret it metaphorically. It means God is love. When the Bible says God hated Esau, there is no reason to interpret it as a hyperbole, other than it goes against what you believe of God.

And I may not understand the English language as well as you, but I understand this. Your definition of 'God is love' is not love when He has no affection for those he loves when they suffer.

You asked in reply #23, why did Jesus cry out as He did? He, Jesus The Son cried out because He was forsaken by God the Father when the sin of Adam was laid on Him.

Stranger

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Who's responsible for the hypostatic Union? You seem to have a real easy time using the word heresy especially for somebody that is a moderator, but given your predisposition for RT I can't say I'm really surprised by your reaction because it is typical of people of your ilk. I encounter it on every other forum I'm on, when it involves debating with Calvinists. Where exactly does Scripture support your view of the hypostatic union? Why else would Jesus have cried out as he did?
If you can not see denying the divinity of Christ is heresy to orthodoxy I can't help you in you.

God is responsible for the hypostatic union.

John 1 supports the hypostatic union. God, the Logos, took on flesh (humanity).

Jesus took on the sin of the world. This put a separation between Him and the Father. This taking on sin in no way removed His divine nature.

God can never stop being God. Either Jesus is divine or He is not.

http://www.theopedia.com/hypostatic-union

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
Literal interpretation acknowledges the use of hyperbole's, symbols, allagories, etc. But not every thing said is a symbol or hyperbole or allegory. When the Bible says God is love, then there is no reason to interpret it metaphorically. It means God is love. When the Bible says God hated Esau, there is no reason to interpret it as a hyperbole, other than it goes against what you believe of God.

And I may not understand the English language as well as you, but I understand this. Your definition of 'God is love' is not love when He has no affection for those he loves when they suffer.

You asked in reply #23, why did Jesus cry out as He did? He, Jesus The Son cried out because He was forsaken by God the Father when the sin of Adam was laid on Him.

Stranger
again this response shows you really don't understand what impossible means and it's impossible to carry on the discussion with somebody who doesn't know or understand the basis for the discussion.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
If you can not see denying the divinity of Christ is heresy to orthodoxy I can't help you in you.
God is responsible for the hypostatic union.
John 1 supports the hypostatic union. God, the Logos, took on flesh (humanity).
Jesus took on the sin of the world. This put a separation between Him and the Father. This taking on sin in no way removed His divine nature.
God can never stop being God. Either Jesus is divine or He is not.http://www.theopedia.com/hypostatic-union
I'm not denying the Divinity of Jesus Christ you're the one that saying I am because you don't understand and as typical with Calvin us when they don't understand they judge people dramatically by calling them Heretics. Jesus was born Divine and up until the moment when the father left him as he bore the sins of the world he was divine and after he died and God raised him he was divine but when he died with his sins of the world on him he was not Divine because the Divine cannot die. What don't you understand about that? Where exactly does the bible say that the taking on of sin, in no way removed his divine nature, and while you're at it who raised Jesus from the dead himself or God the Father?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:

Stranger
Then if you know that, learn to tell the difference based on the context of what you're reading. If God does not want us to hate then do you think he'll do something himself that he does not want us to do? It's a real simple question that you continue to avoid.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I'm not denying the Divinity of Jesus Christ you're the one that saying I am because you don't understand and as typical with Calvin us when they don't understand they judge people dramatically by calling them Heretics. Jesus was born Divine and up until the moment when the father left him as he bore the sins of the world he was divine and after he died and God raised him he was divine but when he died with his sins of the world on him he was not Divine because the Divine cannot die. What don't you understand about that? Where exactly does the bible say that the taking on of sin, in no way removed his divine nature, and while you're at it who raised Jesus from the dead himself or God the Father?
I completely understand what you are proclaiming, and it is heretical.
Heresy is heresy. You are proclaiming heresy.

Jesus never stopped being divine. God can not cease being God, else He is not God but something lesser.

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

Jesus is/was/will always be God. There is no pause in Him being God as you falsely theorize in your own mind.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
again this response shows you really don't understand what impossible means and it's impossible to carry on the discussion with somebody who doesn't know or understand the basis for the discussion.
That statement holds no credibility. It's easy to say, 'you don't understand, so I can't talk'. When in reality, you have nothing to add to disprove what I have said.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Then if you know that, learn to tell the difference based on the context of what you're reading. If God does not want us to hate then do you think he'll do something himself that he does not want us to do? It's a real simple question that you continue to avoid.
I've showed you that God can and does hate. David, a man after God's own heart, hated God's enemies. Where did God tell David he was wrong in doing this? He didn't. What context have I misread?

Stranger

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
justaname said:
I completely understand what you are proclaiming, and it is heretical. Heresy is heresy. You are proclaiming heresy.
Jesus never stopped being divine. God can not cease being God, else He is not God but something lesser.
Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."[/size]
Jesus is/was/will always be God. There is no pause in Him being God as you falsely theorize in your own mind.[/size]
And as usual instead of dealing with the points that I brought up you proclaim heresy even louder and louder so I would have to say that you're the heretic just as the Pharisees were Heretics by claiming Jesus was and renting their clothes in a very demonstrative fashion. As if emotionalism ever proved a point.
God didn't cease being God he ceased having a Hyper Static Union with Jesus When sin entered and he took up at hypostatic Union after Jesus died. The fact that you are so inculcated into your calvinistic beliefs that you scream about heresy rather than deal with the facts just shows how inculcated you really are.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
I've showed you that God can and does hate. David, a man after God's own heart, hated God's enemies. Where did God tell David he was wrong in doing this? He didn't. What context have I misread?
Stranger
No you haven't, you've claimed that that's what the scriptures mean and denied when I've shown you the difference, so there's no use continuing to discuss with you something that you obviously have no intention of changing your mind on. I'm sure somewhere down the road God will be able to get through to you about who he really is but I have no idea how long that is going to take.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
That statement holds no credibility. It's easy to say, 'you don't understand, so I can't talk'. When in reality, you have nothing to add to disprove what I have said.
Stranger
Well the Bible says it's so do you believe when the Bible says it or not?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
No you haven't, you've claimed that that's what the scriptures mean and denied when I've shown you the difference, so there's no use continuing to discuss with you something that you obviously have no intention of changing your mind on. I'm sure somewhere down the road God will be able to get through to you about who he really is but I have no idea how long that is going to take.
Malachi 1:2-3 "...Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau,..."

Rom. 9:12-13 " It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."

Ps. 139:20-22 " For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain. Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. "

How far down the road do you have to go?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Well the Bible says it's so do you believe when the Bible says it or not?
Indeed I believe the Bible. But you add nothing against what I have said other than you don't interpret it that way.

Read again my reply #38. Do you believe the Bible?

It appears to me you make claims but then fail to give Scriptural support. You then accuse the one debating with you of not understanding, or being out of context, or misinterpreting etc. etc., but you never show proof of you argument. You then resort to " no need to discuss with you".

How can you prove that God is impassible? How can you prove that God didn't feel grief when Jesus His Son died on the cross? What is your proof that Jesus on the Cross was not The Son, the Second Person of the Trinity?

Stranger

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
Malachi 1:2-3 "...Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau,..."
Rom. 9:12-13 " It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."
Ps. 139:20-22 " For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain. Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. "
How far down the road do you have to go?
Stranger
You can quote scripture all day long till the cows come home but if you don't understand the original language and what was being conveyed in the original language then you won't understand what is being said in the English. It is very apparent you don't understand nor do you understand the concept of impassibility so continuing to say the same things is rather useless at this point.