The Imperatives in Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And as for such and such letter written by such and such apostle to such and such a group, does that mean it doesn't apply to you?
Remember, the Jews had to learn too. They are being taught, just as you should be taught. Continue to study the Word, and God will tell you what you need to work on. The Gospel is very simple. Jesus Christ's righteousness covers us, and the Holy Spirit is given so we can grow. If we are faithful in what He has shown us, and continue the walk with Him, and read His word, we will be fine. He is not beating us over the head--He is teaching us.
On this point, I look at who the writings are directed to, I think that's relevant. My simplest example is to remember that God told Noah, not me, to build an ark.

Peter's letters were addressed to the dispersed Jews, and fit best reading with that in mind. There is a certain Jewishness to the writing and to things referrenced in the letters. Just the same, they are not only written to Jews of the Diaspora, but they were written to Christian Jews, and address matters of Christianity, which things are true for us as well as them.

Paul was the Apostle to the gentile Christians, and that's me. He letters were directly written for my benefit. Except the part of about bringing his parchments and winter cloak. Although, I was truly blessed studying all the people in Romans 16! So there is something to be gained from all of it, even though certain portions were addressed to us, and certain portions to others.

Just some thought on this, what do you think?

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being a gentile Christian in the present age, I look at Paul's teachings, the apostle to the gentiles, as directly pertinent to me. Yes, their letters were addressed to others, and with instructions in some cases to be read to other churches.

Jesus Himself, "He who has an ear to hear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

I really encourage you to relook at the Scriptures as God's love letter written to you, yourself. I hear Him so personally in His Word, yet it means that I hear it as His voice to me, and in His voice to me are these many Imperatives. It's the voice behind me saying, not that way, turn this way, even like your dashboard navigation does.

Much love!
Marks thank you for your encouragement.

Sometimes flesh overrides the spirit, surely the cup runs over sometimes.

Have been reading Leviticus outloud to myself lately, it will always boil down to having faith, and agape love no matter what, and you know that too.

Take care and have a good day.

• Love
Reactions: marks

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think you are earning your salvation through your good behavior, you need to switch your standard to God's, and His is absolute.

It is YOU that needs to switch to what the Bible says:

“And you, who were once alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish, and without charge in His sight, if indeed you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel…” (Colossians 1:21-23)

Paul himself told us that only Jesus can tell us what's really in our hearts, we aren't even qualified to know.

And?

Paul said:

“…you stand by faith. Do not be high-minded, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, fear lest He also may not spare you either!” (Romans 11:20-21)

THAT’S A WARNING!

Please don't bother this thread with claims that we just want freedom to sin, that is such utter nonesense!

That was post # 2!

You respond now?

30+ posts later???

YOU SINNERS CANNOT REFUTE THE VERSES I POST AND IT DRIVES YOU MAD.

“For I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.” (Luke 21:15)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ye search the Scriptures, and (instead of their leading you to Me) ye are not willing to come to Me. The tragic tone once more: see on Joh_1:5. The reproach lies not in their searching, but in their searching to so little purpose. Jewish study of the Scriptures was too often learned trifling and worse; obscuring the text by frivolous interpretations, ‘making it of none effect’ by unholy traditions. Ὑμιε͂ς is emphatic: because ye are the people who think.

Not that they were wrong in thinking that eternal life was contained in the Scriptures: their error was in thinking that by their dissection of them, letter by letter, they had found it. They had scrutinised with the utmost minuteness the written word (γραφαί), and missed the living word (λόγος) which spoke of the Messiah; ἐκεῖναι (Joh_1:8; Joh_1:18), precisely they, the very books ye study so diligently.

May our Lord help us to remain humble and rightly divide the Scriptures and not "miss" our Messiah.
Shalom
Johann.
This lays close to the heart, I believe!

All the imperatives are God's working to make us like Himself, and we cannot afford to not see Him, in our diligence to find this description of Him.

I can provide your need for a couple of different reasons. One is that I am keeping God's command to give you food and shelter, and for that reason I will do it. You will benefit materially, but I will not benefit at all.

Only in providing for your need because I have God's love in my heart for you, only in this will I gain, both now, and eternally. So the command only describes what love looks like. Keeping the Imperative cannot just be done for it's own sake, though that isn't bad, if it's all we can do.

But we are to press on into love for each other and love for God, so that as we understand the Imperative, we recognize, This is love, and we live in love.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following the indicative-imperative model leads to the conclusion that the New Testament does not enumerate a list of ethical rules to follow per se, but proposes a set of central ideas and images that energize the behavioral dimensions of Christian obedience (see Furnish).
. . . .
So there is a study on the Indicatives as well @marks and I don't fully concur with Furnish here-see red-these are not "rules" to follow but Imperatives to be obeyed, in the sphere of the Holy Spirit, being enabled by the Spirit
That's an interesting quote.

The part I underlined, that's a lot how I see this, however, these "central ideas and images", the Imperatives are very specific, and of which of them do we say, I don't really have to do that?

Maybe I would call them signposts and milestones on the Way of Holiness and Righteousness, and if all we can see are the signposts and milestones, follow them, but not because they will deliver you, they will bring you to the One for Whom you are really seeking. And may we not be just following the sign posts, but may we be seeing Glorious Christ calling us further, that we are walking after Jesus Himself.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
, not something they should do .
YOU are the one reasoning with CARNAL LOGIC .
I love you my brother, but do not speak this way, I implore you! Please use private messaging for personal rebuke, to avoid changing the tone of this thread.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was post # 2!

You respond now?

30+ posts later???

YOU SINNERS CANNOT REFUTE THE VERSES I POST AND IT DRIVES YOU MAD.

I posted this thread just before I left for the day on Friday, and I've not been online since, only coming back this morning.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the thread topic, but your inappropriate personal attacks on others aren't convincing me of your sinlessness.

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

I apologize.

My intention is not to needlessly trouble folks here.

You take issue with the scriptures I quote that mandate sin cessation. Naturally the one’s voicing displeasure are sinners, no?

I do not promote my wisdom in scriptures, I just promote the scriptures.

“If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 4:11)

I only seek my fellow believers well being in the faith and can’t help but holler at those who are about to fall into danger.

Reactions: Johann and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

I apologize.

My intention is not to needlessly trouble folks here.

You take issue with the scriptures I quote that mandate sin cessation. Naturally the one’s voicing displeasure are sinners, no?

I do not promote my wisdom in scriptures, I just promote the scriptures.

“If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 4:11)

I only seek my fellow believers well being in the faith and can’t help but holler at those who are about to fall into danger.
Thank you!

I am preaching that we keep the commandments of God, only, not under threat as some means of self-preservation, which works directly against us.

My hope is that you will come to understand that God is not threatening His children with condemnation, rather, He is calling people away from their delusions, and calling them to follow Him in love and devotion.

Here is an imperative . . . actually several . . .

Jude 1:20-21 KJV
20) But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21) Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Do you know why we look for mercy? How does this keep us in God's love? He is giving us a pathway to Him. I've come to learn that the security of His love and reconciliation is what a loving and service filled Christian life is built on. We can devote ourselves to others with the same devotion God has towards us, the same love for others as His love for us.

I don't want this to be a "can you lose your salvation thread", I can only imagine you are seeing the tone I'm trying to set. If you don't agree, you've had that say, can you rest with that? And if you have some encouragement, share it?

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've come to learn that the security of His love and reconciliation is what a loving and service filled Christian life is built on.

That goes without saying. But we also need to heed the warnings.

20) But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21) Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Amen!

But I’m like a firefighter. I try to rescue men from the fire as well..

“And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” (Jude 1:22-23)

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will God kill His Own children whom He Himself died to redeem? No, He will make them ever more like Himself, and in the ages to come He will show the riches of His mercy through the kindness He shows us.

If you think you are earning your salvation through your good behavior, you need to switch your standard to God's, and His is absolute.

Paul himself told us that only Jesus can tell us what's really in our hearts, we aren't even qualified to know. Keep yourself in God's love, looking for the mercy being brought to us in Jesus Christ.

Please don't bother this thread with claims that we just want freedom to sin, that is such utter nonesense!

Much love!
Why The sad face my friend . Mathew is in dire grave danger . I only spoke truth to the man .
It is sad that folks would rather cling to a love that cannot save , to an image of GOD that simply is not GOD at all .
Its time and its high time it gets exposed . This universal trod JESUS under foot religion WILL BE EXPOSED on my watch
no matter who thinks i am a hater for doing it . Many and many more will soon beleive
there is no need to even BELIEVE ON CHRIST for salvation . THIS LAMB has no PLANS TO BE ONE OF THE LOST .
JESUS has the lambs and they wont compromise TRUTH for the sake of good feelings and a love that cometh not of GOD
and cannot save . Be encouraged mark .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

“And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” (Jude 1:22-23)
We need to HEED , EVERY WORD OF THE LORD . NEVER go the way of this love that has omitted the severity of GOD
Pulpits and churches are getting filled to the full with a love that cannot save them .
It has tossed aside the severity of GOD and the GOODNESS of GOD that it preaches , AINT THE GOODNESS of GOD at all .
STICK to every single warning and every single promise , EVERY SINGLE WORD of the lovely truth of GOD in that bible .
DO not stray one millimeter from it . Not even a millimeter .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

Continue onwards in the LORD . I challenge us all to take a good look
at what paul wrote to several different churches
about how the leaders should be . YOU WILL FIND GRAVE and SINCERE in every one of those letters .
KEEP up with all reminders of GOD . Do not slow down , do not rest , the enemy takes no time
off spouting a goodness of GOD that is not of GOD . They are trodding the ideals
of eternal punishemnt under foot . the warnings are getting tossed out
and even the love they preach Embraces darkness . Sin is not getting corrected
and worse more and more sins are being called good now . ITS A GOODNESS of GOD that is FALSE
that many now cling too . CHARITY dont rejoice in SIN , in inquity , thus in lies . CHARITY REJOICES IN TRUTH . TRUTH .
They dont even know what true agape love is . SOUND out all warnings , sound out all the reminders from that bible
and you do it till the end .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love you my brother, but do not speak this way, I implore you! Please use private messaging for personal rebuke, to avoid changing the tone of this thread.

Much love!
The man wont heed anything . Those who sin rebuke before all that others may fear .
Do you even know what he teaches . You need to go read some of his Posts .
That man is gonna get rebuked . I dont want one single soul to follow this universal inclusive lie from hades .
Try asking the man some questions mark . He has never listened to one thing i have said to him .
Sure he is full of hugs , but the ideals are deadly mark . deadly . And i am gonna rebuke the man before all .
Not because i dont love him , but because i have watched this univeralism concept take captive WHOLE churches
whole houses and it aint SLOWING down mark . I LOVE the peoples so i gotta do what i gotta do .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I simply hope that all participants will stay on the topic of the OP, which to summarize, How the Imperatives of Scripture teach us to walk in love and service, as we minister God's love to others. How the Imperatives of Scripture divide between true and false.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You neglected my question though. I had a reason for asking.

Do you know why we look for mercy? How does this keep us in God's love?

Much love!