The Inquisitions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

You believe that heretical teachings are a good thing for Christianity?

Mary
They never are. But if you mean the Inquisitions, they were never a teaching. It's not so simple.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Using these two sources, and any others submitted, I hope to get the facts of this "tormented phase in the history of the Church" (per Pope John Paul 11)(from CERC).

(1)This is a link to the Catholic Education Resource Center (CERC): Status: Inquisition in the Catholic Church
(2)Henry Charles Lea, The History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

From the CERC article: "...religious heresies were considered a kind of political treason."

"To remedy the disorganized response to heresy, Pope Gregory IX (1227-41) took on the task of bringing the investigation of heresy under the discipline of the Holy See. What we term the Inquisition is simply the ecclesiastical tribunal with specially appointed judges (inquisitors) answerable to both the local bishop and the pope, whose task it was to investigate charges of heresy in a systematic and fair way."
So, there were 3 "phases" of the Inquisition: Ecclesiastical Inquisition, Spanish Inquisition and Roman Inquisition.

Questions about torture, imprisonment, burning heretics, effect on family and friends of the heretic, and other punishments, such as wearing crosses for life, pilgrimages, forced into a crusade, floggings etc. are all appropriate in this discussion.
Don't forget to include the tormented phase of the Protestant Inquisition which was was worse than anything Catholics were guilty of. Protestant Inquisitions: "Reformation" Intolerance & Persecution
Funny how nobody ever hears about that. Maybe it's because we have better things to do with our resources than to slander our Protestant brethren with outdated skeletons.

Let's not forget the death sentence imposed by reformist fanatics on anyone who didn't believe the Eucharist the same way they did. No Pope did anything like that.

I notice too that it is always the Catholic Church that repents and admits to the sins of her forefathers, sometimes centuries ago, but never Protestants. What's with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is like saying, when we were out in the world, "I just hang out with them but I don't do what they do. well why hang out out with them then?.

apparently one must like what they do.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Yet, Jesus hangs out with us anyway...

Amen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

An inquisition (intensive questioning or investigation to prevent heresy) is a good thing. Killing or torturing those that don't agree with you is a bad thing.

Preventing heresy (belief contrary to Christian doctrine teaching) is a good thing. It is what God wants us to do: 1 John 4:1, 2 John 1:10, Titus 3:10 etc. etc.

Heresies have divided Christians for 2,000 years. That is not a good thing.

How do we stop heretical teachings?

Mary

Inquisitions are ineffective in preventing heresy. I think fundamentalism is also ineffective. Living authentically by applying the teachings of Christ seems to be our calling; flooding the world with truth (loving others authentically) transcends all heresy (incomplete love).

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Using these two sources, and any others submitted, I hope to get the facts of this "tormented phase in the history of the Church" (per Pope John Paul 11)(from CERC).
(1)This is a link to the Catholic Education Resource Center (CERC): Status: Inquisition in the Catholic Church
(2)Henry Charles Lea, The History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages.
Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

From the CERC article: "...religious heresies were considered a kind of political treason."

"To remedy the disorganized response to heresy, Pope Gregory IX (1227-41) took on the task of bringing the investigation of heresy under the discipline of the Holy See. What we term the Inquisition is simply the ecclesiastical tribunal with specially appointed judges (inquisitors) answerable to both the local bishop and the pope, whose task it was to investigate charges of heresy in a systematic and fair way."
So, there were 3 "phases" of the Inquisition: Ecclesiastical Inquisition, Spanish Inquisition and Roman Inquisition.
Questions about torture, imprisonment, burning heretics, effect on family and friends of the heretic, and other punishments, such as wearing crosses for life, pilgrimages, forced into a crusade, floggings etc. are all appropriate in this discussion.
The only reason you brought this topic up is to beat Catholics with it. It takes a lot of reading to get historical context and most people can't be bothered.
The Truth about the Spanish Inquisition - Crisis Magazine (not Catholic)
Protestantism: Historic Persecution & Intolerance (Index Page)
The Inquisition | Catholic Answers

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kepha, I never hear of Protestant Inquisitions!
Except there was a link to one here.
Nice avatar, btw...:]

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi tabletalk,

I presume you know about the protestant inquisition's also? They did the same thing the RCC did.

Using your logic would that also mean that protestant churches are not Christian?

Curious Mary

No. If there are 40,000 perpetually splintering Protestant churches, I don't think the Catholic Church can blame an inquisition on them all. Try the Church of England. My local church, as BOL is eager to point out, has only been in existence for 30 years; can't blame the Inquisitions on us.
Besides, the Catholic Church started it, and perfected it.

And, by the way, you shouldn't call it the RCC, as the R stands for the Roman Rite.

Reactions: Pisteuo

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. If there are 40,000 perpetually splintering Protestant churches, I don't think the Catholic Church can blame an inquisition on them all. Try the Church of England. My local church, as BOL is eager to point out, has only been in existence for 30 years; can't blame the Inquisitions on us.

And, by the way, you shouldn't call it the RCC, as the R stands for the Roman Rite.

Hmmm......

Strange how so many protestant Americans like to blame Islam for all terrorist acts committed by lone Muslims.........and yet,

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet, Jesus hangs out with us anyway...

Amen
I don't believe so, if you are going to quote me, get it all. "I just hang out with them but I don't do what they do. well why hang out out with them then?.

apparently one must like what they do"
"he save us from what we been DOING.... sinning. and if we was in ERROR he corrected us. he didn't approve what we did. so the way Christ hang out with us is not the same way we hang out with each other IN THE WORLD

peace in Christ Jesus.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe so, if you are going to quote me, get it all. "I just hang out with them but I don't do what they do. well why hang out out with them then?.

apparently one must like what they do"
"he save us from what we been DOING.... sinning. and if we was in ERROR he corrected us. he didn't approve what we did. so the way Christ hang out with us is not the same way we hang out with each other IN THE WORLD

peace in Christ Jesus.

I normally agree with you so i will assume I am just not understanding your post. Peace

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You don't know when to quit.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Torture is always wrong. The Catholic Church during the Middle Ages was made up of people who tortured people - it was how people operated.

Slavery is always wrong. American Protestant churches practiced segregation and condoned slavery from 1600 to the mid 1900s in the south. Any churches that promote the prosperity gospel are still condoning the slave labor that fuel wealth.

We are all guilty.

Your remarks on slavery are a lie. You are nothing but a political correctness mouthpiece. You are simply riding the wave of hate the Southern white man and the Confederate flag for all the evils of slavery are located there. So stupid.

As I have said in the past, you cannot say slavery is evil by the Bible. So, what is it you are following? You are following the worlds opinion. Not God's.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

You believe that heretical teachings are a good thing for Christianity?

Mary

Obviously I did not say that...what I am saying is...
...if God says we need them around, to let the truth shine brighter....that is well and truly good enough for me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your remarks on slavery are a lie. You are nothing but a political correctness mouthpiece. You are simply riding the wave of hate the Southern white man and the Confederate flag for all the evils of slavery are located there. So stupid.

As I have said in the past, you cannot say slavery is evil by the Bible. So, what is it you are following? You are following the worlds opinion. Not God's.

Stranger

Yes, and you are a white supremacist dressed in Christian clothing who parrots scripture to prop up your ego. Haven’t we introduced ourselves already?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and you are a white supremacist dressed in Christian clothing who parrots scripture to prop up your ego. Haven’t we introduced ourselves already?

Yes we have. Read your own black and minority racist views in your thread 'Racism on Parade' in the ' Current Events and Political' section.

You made a stupid statement that slavery is always wrong, riding the political correctness wave, which makes you appear so 'spiritual and superior'. Prove it in the Bible.

Stranger.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we have. Read your own black and minority racist views in your thread 'Racism on Parade' in the ' Current Events and Political' section.

You made a stupid statement that slavery is always wrong, riding the political correctness wave, which makes you appear so 'spiritual and superior'. Prove it in the Bible.

Stranger.

I think you need to check your own ego again; apparently, you are projecting your own feelings of superiority onto me. Unlike you, I recognize our society loathes and benefits from slavery every time we purchase food or clothing. Unlike you, I see it as unacceptable - The fact that it exists does not drive me to justify it or to attempt to benefit from it as much as I possibly can for the advancement of white people.

Here is some insight for you - Jesus told us to love our neighbor, not own our neighbor.

And for everyone reading, you can see Strangers true colors on the thread he has referenced - if you have any doubts about his racism, check out his work.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you need to check your own ego again; apparently, you are projecting your own feelings of superiority onto me. Unlike you, I recognize our society loathes and benefits from slavery every time we purchase food or clothing. Unlike you, I see it as unacceptable - The fact that it exists does not drive me to justify it or to attempt to benefit from it as much as I possibly can for the advancement of white people.

Here is some insight for you - Jesus told us to love our neighbor, not own our neighbor.

And for everyone reading, you can see Strangers true colors on the thread he has referenced - if you have any doubts about his racism, check out his work.

Where did Jesus say that? And, loving your neighbor has nothing to do with the institution of slavery.

(1 Peter 2:18) " Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward."

So, again, you made a statement that slavery is always wrong. Prove it by the Bible.

Stranger

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did Jesus say that? And, loving your neighbor has nothing to do with the institution of slavery.

(1 Peter 2:18) " Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward."

So, again, you made a statement that slavery is always wrong. Prove it by the Bible.

Stranger

True enough; being a slave is not a sin. Of course, loving your neighbor has everything to do with slavery - reducing a person to an object retards our ability to love them.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True enough; being a slave is not a sin. Of course, loving your neighbor has everything to do with slavery - reducing a person to an object retards our ability to love them.

No, slavery is not a sin. Your attempt to twist didn't work. Show me in the Bible where slavery is a sin.

Slavery is not reducing a person to an object. And it has nothing to do with loving your neighbor or loving the slave. Sounds good though. Gives the warm fuzzies to all.

Stranger

Status
Not open for further replies.