The Inquisitions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok, so only 4000 were tortured and killed.......no big deal.Thanks BOL.
It's impossible to get you guys to understand the justice system was different 1000+ years ago. It's also impossible to get you to understand the reformers were worse. The Church did not torture and kill anybody, criminals were tried in much more lenient ecclesiastical courts with every opportunity to repent and then sent to the state. Provide scholarly details on the Inquisition or get off your persecuting bandwagon.
The Protestant Inquisition: "Reformation" Intolerance and Persecution
Protestant Persections
Protestant Inquisition: The English Reformation and Roman Catholics

If you can't find scholarly facts beyond the usual Jackkk Chickkk tracts that twisted Protestants love, I recommend Thomas Madden PhD who specialized in medieval history. But then you have to read it and think for yourself. Fat chance.
The Truth about the Spanish Inquisition
The Real Inquisition

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was not 1000 years ago.
You have no idea about history.
Nice dodge. Provide scholarly details on the Inquisition or get off your persecuting bandwagon.

There have actually been several different inquisitions. The first was established in 1184 in southern France as a response to the Catharist heresy. This was known as the Medieval Inquisition, and it was phased out as Catharism disappeared. 2017 -1184 = 833 years, which can be rounded off to 1000 years, for the sake of brevity in a forum. I notice you guys don't like brevity or generalizations, you prefer nit picking details.
I've asked you time and time again to cite a scholarly reference for your lies and here you say I have no idea about history. History is your enemy, not mine.

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Fundamentalists suffer from the mistaken notion that the Church includes only the elect. For them, sinners are outside the doors. Locate sinners, and you locate another place where the Church is not.

Thinking that Fundamentalists might have a point in their attacks on the Inquisition, Catholics tend to be defensive. This is the wrong attitude; rather, we should learn what really happened, understand events in light of the times, and then explain to anti-Catholics why the sorry tale does not prove what they think it proves.
The Inquisition | Catholic Answers

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
sorry, there are so many ignorant anti-Catholics I get them mixed up.

Reactions: Helen

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sabbatarians generally don't profess the Trinity. Right?

I and us, we, Sabbaths' Feast of Christ Home Assemblies Reformed Protestant Faith, believe in and worship, and profess and confess God: the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

What 'Sabbatarians' generally or exceptionally don't do or do do does not concern us or me.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Fundamentalists suffer from the mistaken notion that the Church includes only the elect. For them, sinners are outside the doors. Locate sinners, and you locate another place where the Church is not.

Thinking that Fundamentalists might have a point in their attacks on the Inquisition, Catholics tend to be defensive. This is the wrong attitude; rather, we should learn what really happened, understand events in light of the times, and then explain to anti-Catholics why the sorry tale does not prove what they think it proves.
The Inquisition | Catholic Answers

Just today the pope was shown on TV forgiving and redeeming a sinner and giving him eternal life. But it is 'the sorry tale' the pope and Catholicism are anti-Christ. For Pete's sake...

B

brakelite

While this thread is supposed to be about the inquisitions, the sad and sorry truth is that the inquisitions were just the tip of the iceberg when it came to Papal persecutions. John Foxe's 'Book of Martyrs' is a good read if you can stomach it. Wylie's book on the Waldensians another eye-opener.

Reactions: Triumph1300

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well congratulations on defining your faith by what you are not......the Reformers would be proud

Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn

When the character of the Saviour shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim His own.
Why I'm not SDA

Why I am SFC

'Sabbaths' Feast of Christ

Home Assemblies

Reformed Protestant Faith'

Ephesians 1:22,23

More souls than people on earth today have been killed with a crown sized wafer.
Why I am not Catholic.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just today the pope was shown on TV forgiving and redeeming a sinner and giving him eternal life. But it is 'the sorry tale' the pope and Catholicism are anti-Christ. For Pete's sake...
This is such a woefully-ignorant statement on so many levels, it's difficult to know just where to begin . . .

First of all - the Pope did not redeem ANYBODY this week. In fact NO Pope or anybody else has ever redeemed a single person except for Jesus Christ.

Secondly - the Pope did not give ANYBODY eternal life this week. In fact NO Pope or anybody else has ever given a single person eternal life except for Jesus Christ.

Finally - it is the Catholic Church who compiled and declared the Canon of Scripture so that YOU could ave a Bible. It is the Catholic Church who introduced Jesus Christ to the world and the entity that Jesus compared with His very SELF. Calling it "anti-Christ" is is not only a comical statement - but a painfully-ignorant one . . .

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean I could have been redeemed by the Pope all this time and didn’t know it?

Reactions: Helen
B

brakelite

It is the Catholic Church who introduced Jesus Christ to the world and the entity that Jesus compared with His very SELF. Calling it "anti-Christ" is is not only a comical statement - but a painfully-ignorant one . . .
Tell me, whether from your opinion or from what you have been taught, what do you suppose took place immediately after Pentecost? Did a Christian church all of a sudden appear in Rome by some miracle and upon which God placed authority over all Christian churches worldwide? Because the Bible says otherwise. The Bible says that the Christian faith grew first in Palestine, then after a few years through Paul in particular, spread elsewhere.

Allow me to give you a little history lesson. It was in and around 35ad that Paul was converted. He then spent 3 years studying in the desert before returning to Jerusalem to preach to his fellow Jews. Having been rejected by them, he went to the gentiles. So did others, such as Peter and Philip. And Apollos. But most of the apostles started on and around Palestine. Jerusalem was where they held the first church council. A hearing to confirm Paul's ministry to the gentiles.

The First churches to be established were in Asia minor. Ephesus, Corinth, etc. Then in 70ad, before Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, all the Christians escaped to Perea and Antioch. It was in Antioch that they were first called Christians. Philip baptised that Ethiopian official remember? Well he went home and established an Ethiopian Christian church that survives to this day. Thomas went to India, and established the church in Goa. The"St Thomas Christians" as they are known, were renowned for mainly two things. Being persecuted by the inquisition because they refused to submit to papal authority, and for spreading the gospel into the far east. India, Assyria, Persia, Afghanistan, and China, all had large Christian communities without ANY reference or help from any Roman Bishop. The pope was not the head of those churches. Jesus was.

The Celtic church in Britain was the same. Established before the end of the 2 ND century, and a couple of hundred years before Rome sent any missionaries anywhere. In fact Augustine was a very surprised little monk when He discovered a Christian church thriving in a place he thought was full of Pagans.

All these, and more, were established through the missionary activities of churches that had no connection whatsoever with Rome.

The only way Rome gained any supremacy at all within Christendom was through persecution of those who denied papal authority and through war. Jesus did not establish a Roman hierarchal system to lord it over everyone else... Satan did.

B

brakelite

I guess BOL may have me on 'ignore'. It's an easy 'out'.
I have noticed his rather inexplicable absence from threads I started which discuss Rome. How can anyone learn anything when they shut down the various avenues of information they don't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.