The Lake of Fire or Hell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see many passages in scripture on the Lake of Fire and who is going to be cast there.
Revelation 19:20
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So what is this lake of fire that the Bible speaks of, is it what Christian call 'Hell'? Well Christ gives us some clues when He said 'As in the Days of Lot', we find it in Luke 17:28.
Luke 17:28
Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

It was just another day, and was starting as usual, and folks were waking up and eating their morning meal and having their morning beverage and doing everything they did every other morning, it looked like another great day and then suddenly everything changed. We see it in the next part of the text:
Luke 17:29-30
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

So what did Jesus mean by this. Well lets look what was happening 'in the days of Lot'.
10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
11 Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.
12 Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom.
13 But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.

Lot had picked out a place to settle in and it looks like a good choice with good sources of refreshing water and nice vegetation all around, but there was a problem. The people there it says 'were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.' and as a result of that, after years of patience God sent two angels to Sodom and we know how they were treated by the people of Sodom. The angels went to Lot’s home. Abraham meanwhile, was certainly praying for Lot who was his nephew because God had clued him in that Sodom was doomed. And the angels told Lot to basically, get out of town, and escape for your life, and dont look behind you, escape to the mountains lest you be,” what? The angels say to get out lest you be 'consumed', lest you be burnt up. We see it in Genisis

12 And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it.
14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.

You see Lot went to his family, his daughters and sons in law and said, God’s told me this place is doomed get out of town now. But they mocked him like he was a religious fanatic. Can that happen again? Well finally the angels said, we can’t wait any longer, escape for your life, lest you be 'consumed in the iniquity of the city.' And the Bible says he got out of town and the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. It rained down and it destroyed the city in basically a lake of fire, not the one that will be at the end, but Christ was giving a very true picture of what will happen at the end.

So what does the Bible teach about this lake of fire, which is what the bible calls, 'Hell' for sinners and those not in the book of Life. Is the devil in charge of hell? The Bible gives us solemn warnings about a day of destruction coming. Jesus speaks also of Noah's day with the same warning He gives about Lot and his family in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Matthew 24:36-39
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

There is a reward of the wicked and sinners, the punishment, that will eternally destroy them and all evil. The wages of sin is not eternal torment, but death in the lake of fire, which is the final place for the wicked and sinners before the Lord, which is the hell we are shown by scripture.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So lets look at what the Bible says will happen to the Wicked...

Job 21:30 King James Version (KJV)
"30 That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath."

Psalm 37:10 King James Version (KJV)
"10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be."

Psalm 37:20 King James Version (KJV)
"20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away."

Psalm 37:28 King James Version (KJV)
"28 For the Lord loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off."

Psalm 37:38 King James Version (KJV)
"38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off."

Psalm 73:17-18 King James Version (KJV)
"17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.18 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction."

Psalm 92:7 King James Version (KJV)
"7 When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; it is that they shall be destroyed for ever:"

Psalm 104:35 King James Version (KJV)
"35 Let the sinners be consumed out of the earth, and let the wicked be no more. Bless thou the Lord, O my soul. Praise ye the Lord."

Psalm 145:20 King James Version (KJV)
"20 The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy."

Proverbs 2:22 King James Version (KJV)
"22 But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it."

Nahum 1:9-10 King James Version (KJV)
"9 What do ye imagine against the Lord? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.10 For while they be folden together as thorns, and while they are drunken as drunkards, they shall be devoured as stubble fully dry."

Malachi 4:1King James Version (KJV)
"4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch."

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
"8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;"

2 Peter 2:6 King James Version (KJV)
"6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;"

2 Peter 2:9-12 King James Version (KJV)
9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

2 Peter 3:7 King James Version (KJV)
"7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men."

2 Peter 3:9-10 King James Version (KJV)
"9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. "

Revelation 20:9 King James Version (KJV)
"9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."

Revelation 21:8 King James Version (KJV)
"8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the Bible show us those who are the wicked, and gives us the answer to what is sin.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:21
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have many who say I dont have to worry, I am already gone up to heaven because my 'soul' has gone up and have nothing to worry about. Well, scripture tells us the "soul" is a living, breathing creature, the full human being. A "soul" (nephesh in Hebrew) was never a disembodied spirit. The Jews, like the Christians after them, succumbed to the lure of Platonic Greek notions of an immortal soul. It is not, and never was a Bible teaching. The Bible teaches resurrection. Immortality of the soul makes the resurrection redundant because it can only happen to someone who has died. An 'immortal soul' is never dead and has no need to repent or of Christs gift of eternal life.

Now take a look at the words of Christ Himself of what will happen at the end in this lake of fire...

Matthew 7:13 King James Version (KJV)
"13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:"

Matthew 10:28 King James Version (KJV)
"28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 13:40-42 King James Version (KJV)
"40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 25:41 King James Version (KJV)
"41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:"

We have to repent or we shall perish...

Luke 13:3 King James Version (KJV)
"3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

And Christ gives us eternal life...

John 3:14-16 King James Version (KJV)
"14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The wicked will be separated from God forever and ever, it is the end of sin and sinners as they will be destroyed and perish.

But the saints have nothing to fear, Christ will take the saints to heaven when He comes at the Second Coming as He promised.

John 14:1-3
1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Reactions: keithr

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So what does the Bible teach about this lake of fire, which is what the bible calls, 'Hell' for sinners and those not in the book of Life. Is the devil in charge of hell?
I like your posts, but you're wrong about the Bible calling the lake of fire hell. Revelation 20:14 (KJV):

(14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.​

Reactions: rwb and MA2444

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unsaved humans will suffer the exact same fate as Satan, forever and ever.

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what does the Bible teach about this lake of fire, which is what the bible calls, 'Hell'

No, that is an error. Hell is a temporary holding place where the condemned are held until the great white throne judgment. Then the lake of fire is their final destination.

Hell, or sheol some call it was being used as a temporary holding place for both Believers and the Condemned alike, until Jesus came and did His work on the cross. They called that section of it, Abrahams Bosom but since Jesus has already come and freed them from there, it is not used for believers any more. Now it is absent from your body means present with the Lord.

Hell needed the extra real estate because they were expanding fast and still are. Maybe the expansion of hell is responsible for waking up all the worlds volcanoes?

Reactions: rwb

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have many who say I dont have to worry, I am already gone up to heaven because my 'soul' has gone up and have nothing to worry about. Well, scripture tells us the "soul" is a living, breathing creature, the full human being

I am a spirit being.
I have a soul.
I dwell in a flesh body.

When my body dies, "I" do not die. We go to be with the Lord because that is the promise. When you read in scripture about our "resurrection", that speaks of the resurrection of our body (at the Rapture), All who have passed on to be with Christ, He comes to earth with all the Saints. The dead in Christ rise first and the body's get reunited with the spirit and soul and then transformed into our new spiritual bodies, in the twinkling of an eye. Then we all meet the Lord in the air.

Reactions: rwb

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We see many passages in scripture on the Lake of Fire and who is going to be cast there.

Well, if you are going to teach about the Lake of Fire which is the second death, then you should have started with Genesis 2:17, but because people could not get their laughing around the fact that the Second Death in the Lake of Fire only comes into play for us all at the time of the GWTR judgement, then you are demonstrating that you have no understanding on the Lake of Fire which is the Second death.

I also noticed that you made no mention of the teaching in Ezekiel 18, which teaches that if we have condemned ourselves to the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death, that if we sin against God's statutes then we become candidates for the Lake of Fire, which is the second death, but if we will humble ourselves and repent then our candidacy for the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death, is no longer our destiny, but rather we will be judged righteous, if we continue in a righteous relationship with God drawing nourishment from God's fertile soil.

In the Abrahamic covenant God plainly tells Abraham that His descendants will be a Blessing to all of the people of the earth who inhabit and take root in His fertile soil.

Abraham's descendants are also required to take root in God's fertile soil when He gathers all of Israel to Himself in our near future.

Know what I mean?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 19:20
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So what is this lake of fire that the Bible speaks of, is it what Christian call 'Hell'? Well Christ gives us some clues when He said 'As in the Days of Lot', we find it in Luke 17:28.
Luke 17:28
Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

It was just another day, and was starting as usual, and folks were waking up and eating their morning meal and having their morning beverage and doing everything they did every other morning, it looked like another great day and then suddenly everything changed. We see it in the next part of the text:
Luke 17:29-30
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

So what did Jesus mean by this. Well lets look what was happening 'in the days of Lot'.
10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
11 Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.
12 Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom.
13 But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.

Lot had picked out a place to settle in and it looks like a good choice with good sources of refreshing water and nice vegetation all around, but there was a problem. The people there it says 'were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.' and as a result of that, after years of patience God sent two angels to Sodom and we know how they were treated by the people of Sodom. The angels went to Lot’s home. Abraham meanwhile, was certainly praying for Lot who was his nephew because God had clued him in that Sodom was doomed. And the angels told Lot to basically, get out of town, and escape for your life, and dont look behind you, escape to the mountains lest you be,” what? The angels say to get out lest you be 'consumed', lest you be burnt up. We see it in Genisis

12 And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it.
14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.

You see Lot went to his family, his daughters and sons in law and said, God’s told me this place is doomed get out of town now. But they mocked him like he was a religious fanatic. Can that happen again? Well finally the angels said, we can’t wait any longer, escape for your life, lest you be 'consumed in the iniquity of the city.' And the Bible says he got out of town and the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. It rained down and it destroyed the city in basically a lake of fire, not the one that will be at the end, but Christ was giving a very true picture of what will happen at the end.

So what does the Bible teach about this lake of fire, which is what the bible calls, 'Hell' for sinners and those not in the book of Life. Is the devil in charge of hell? The Bible gives us solemn warnings about a day of destruction coming. Jesus speaks also of Noah's day with the same warning He gives about Lot and his family in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Matthew 24:36-39
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

There is a reward of the wicked and sinners, the punishment, that will eternally destroy them and all evil. The wages of sin is not eternal torment, but death in the lake of fire, which is the final place for the wicked and sinners before the Lord, which is the hell we are shown by scripture.
Nope! It is eternal torment in the lake. You forget two passages and the construct of words to draw your conclusion.

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

This is not non-existence, but continuous torment.

Revelation 20:12-15

King James Version

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Verses 14 and 15 follow sequentially. This is important to grasp.

God destroys the grave (hell) and death, and then cast the lost into the lake AFTER death is destroyed.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Death" NEVER means a person 'ceases to exist' in the Christian Bible. "They will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER"

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok then, we have many ideas being put here, we have those who say that if you are acquainted with the Bible and deny the eternal punishment of the wicked, you are not honestly reading it. Or that if the judgment of the wicked is not forever, then salvation of the saints is not forever, because the term of forever is used of both. What would this result in for the wicked, 'eternal life', but the Bible doesnt teach that. Still others say that you can they escape the judgement of God by doing a little time in the fires of a place they call 'Purgatory', but the Bible doesnt teach that either. And we have other teaching that the devil is there with his minions, torturing the sinners for eternity, as he cant die since he is a 'spirit' being, but the Bible doest teach that if you search the scriptures

So what does the Bible teach, well lets look first at what will happen to the being created by God who brought sin into the world..

Ezekiel 28 King James Version (KJV)

"11 Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would this result in for the wicked, 'eternal life', but the Bible doesnt teach that.
It sure does!

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Reactions: Spyder

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like your posts, but you're wrong about the Bible calling the lake of fire hell. Revelation 20:14 (KJV):

(14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.​
Lets look at that as we can clarify that easily if we look at the translation of the words closely to see their original meaning:

· Hades was the Greek work used in some places for the Hebrew term, Sheol or grave as "the place of the dead". Thus, it is used in reference to both the righteous and the wicked, since both wind up there eventually.
· Gehenna refers to the "Valley of Hinnon", which was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem. It was a place where people burned their garbage and thus there was always a fire burning there. Bodies of those deemed to have died in sin without hope of salvation were thrown there to be destroyed. Gehenna is used in the New Testament as a metaphor for the final place of punishment for the wicked after the resurrection.
· Tartaro (the verb "throw to Tartarus") occurs only once in the New Testament in II Peter 2:4, and basically means the abyss or oblivion.
· The Hebrew word Abaddon, meaning to perish or "destruction", is sometimes used and basically means the same as the abyss or oblivion.

In most translations they often translate Gehenna as "Hell" which was the Greek closest to the meaning. Young's Literal Translation is a notable exception, simply using "Gehenna". And Hades is the Greek word used for the Hebrew word Sheol in Greek translations of the Hebrew Bible. While earlier translations most often translated Hades as "hell", as does the King James Version, modern translations use the transliteration "Hades", or render the word as allusions "to the grave", "among the dead", "place of the dead" and many other like statements in other verses.

So we see where the grave or death or eventual destruction of the wicked, was translated using Greek words that since they had no exact ones to use, became a mix of mistranslation, pagan influence, and Greek myth associated with the word, but its original meaning was simple death or the destruction of the wicked at the end. So for the text Revelation 20:14 'And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.' it simply means death and (the grave) were cast into the lake and will cease to exist as it no longer will threaten us, Gods people ever again.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that is an error. Hell is a temporary holding place where the condemned are held until the great white throne judgment. Then the lake of fire is their final destination.

Hell, or sheol some call it was being used as a temporary holding place for both Believers and the Condemned alike, until Jesus came and did His work on the cross. They called that section of it, Abrahams Bosom but since Jesus has already come and freed them from there, it is not used for believers any more. Now it is absent from your body means present with the Lord.

Hell needed the extra real estate because they were expanding fast and still are. Maybe the expansion of hell is responsible for waking up all the worlds volcanoes?
You have to understand that in Latin, Hades began to incorrectly be translated as 'Purgatorium' the 'Purgatory' we see in English, but no modern English translations put Hades as Purgatory. This temporary place of holding the church of Rome came up with and holds to is not scriptural.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a spirit being.
I have a soul.
I dwell in a flesh body.

When my body dies, "I" do not die. We go to be with the Lord because that is the promise. When you read in scripture about our "resurrection", that speaks of the resurrection of our body (at the Rapture), All who have passed on to be with Christ, He comes to earth with all the Saints. The dead in Christ rise first and the body's get reunited with the spirit and soul and then transformed into our new spiritual bodies, in the twinkling of an eye. Then we all meet the Lord in the air.
So you are 'immortal' of your own self, thats not Biblical, man dies once and goes to the grave and turns to dust with no thoughts or conscious entity, and after that the judgement.

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you are going to teach about the Lake of Fire which is the second death, then you should have started with Genesis 2:17, but because people could not get their laughing around the fact that the Second Death in the Lake of Fire only comes into play for us all at the time of the GWTR judgement, then you are demonstrating that you have no understanding on the Lake of Fire which is the Second death.

I also noticed that you made no mention of the teaching in Ezekiel 18, which teaches that if we have condemned ourselves to the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death, that if we sin against God's statutes then we become candidates for the Lake of Fire, which is the second death, but if we will humble ourselves and repent then our candidacy for the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death, is no longer our destiny, but rather we will be judged righteous, if we continue in a righteous relationship with God drawing nourishment from God's fertile soil.

In the Abrahamic covenant God plainly tells Abraham that His descendants will be a Blessing to all of the people of the earth who inhabit and take root in His fertile soil.

Abraham's descendants are also required to take root in God's fertile soil when He gathers all of Israel to Himself in our near future.

Know what I mean?
I notice you dont use much scripture here to go over, with just a vague reference, but as many of your other post it seems you tend to assume and give opinions... Not much to respond to from Gods Word...

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lets look at that as we can clarify that easily if we look at the translation of the words closely to see their original meaning:
There's no need to do that. If hell is cast into the lake of fire, then the lake of fire cannot be hell. It's quite simple!

Reactions: Spyder

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope! It is eternal torment in the lake. You forget two passages and the construct of words to draw your conclusion.

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

This is not non-existence, but continuous torment.

Revelation 20:12-15​

King James Version​

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Verses 14 and 15 follow sequentially. This is important to grasp.

God destroys the grave (hell) and death, and then cast the lost into the lake AFTER death is destroyed.
Thank you my brother, lets look at those text as they have confused many christians. You have to grasp why this is used in giving the destruction of the wicked is said to be "everlasting" or "eternal." Some have assumed that the wicked will burn in hellfire for eternity, but does that sound like justice? No, even in our courts that would not be considered 'just' and God wouldnt do that.

Speaking of the destruction of the wicked, Jesus said: "The chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire" which we know are the same as the fires/smoke given in Revelations descriptions of the same event. .
Matthew 3:12
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
Luke 3:17
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

The fact is that an eternal fire does not mean a fire that will never go out as we find same expression is used in Jude concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrha.
Jude 1:7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

In this use for the fire in the destruction of the wicked of 'unquenchable', 'eternal' 'everlasting', most people today are applying modern definitions without understanding their context.

Sodom and Gomorrha are not burning today, yet they burned with "eternal fire," and we are told that it was an example of something, lets look..
2 Peter 2:6
And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Sodom and Gomorrah suffered a punishment of 'eternal fire' . But the wicked people in those cities are not still burning. Those cities and their inhabitants were reduced to ashes. The eternal fire which brought Sodom to ashes is an example of what will finally happen to the wicked. So the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrha will also burn the wicked in the lake of fire. This is a eternal fire as like Sodom and Gomorrha they will be no more as it will burn the wicked to ashes.

Here is a good explanation I came across on what happens..

'The unchanging sinners will be burned up and nothing will remain, just ashes. It’s in the Bible, Malachi 4:1,3 NKJV. “‘For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, and all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘That will leave them neither root nor branch...You shall trample the wicked, for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day that I do this,’ says the Lord of hosts.”

How does the Bible describe the destruction of the wicked? The Bible describes an utter and complete end. It’s in the Bible:

• Psalm 21:9, NKJV. “You shall make them as a fiery oven in the time of Your anger; the LORD shall swallow them up in His wrath, and the fire shall devour them.”
  • Psalm 37:10, NKJV. “For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; Indeed, you will look carefully for his place, but it shall be no more.”
  • Isaiah 1:28, KJV, “And the destruction of the transgressors and of the sinners shall be together, and they that forsake the LORD shall be consumed.”
  • Obadiah 1:16, NKJV. “For as you drank on My holy mountain, so shall all the nations drink continually; yes, they shall drink, and swallow, and they shall be as though they had never been.”
The idea of people being tormented eternally contradicts God’s promise of putting a complete end to pain. It’s in the Bible, Nahum 1:9, KJV. “What do ye imagine against the LORD? He will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.”....

In speaking of the punishment of the wicked, both Jesus and Paul used the adjective 'eternal' or "everlasting", in which the Greek adjective used in the New Testament is aionios. This adjective and its corresponding noun aion 'eternity', do not necessarily mean never ending.
In each case, the Greek phrase means as long as the nature of the subject allows. Because the wicked are moral beings, they suffer forever in the sense that their suffering continues until their lives expire and they are reduced to ashes. The eternal punishment of the wicked is eternal death, the opposite of eternal life. If they lived on in the fire for eternity, they would have eternal life, not eternal death.

Reactions: keithr

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are 'immortal' of your own self, thats not Biblical, man dies once and goes to the grave and turns to dust with no thoughts or conscious entity, and after that the judgement.

WHat? I didn't say that I am immortal of my own self.

So you say that body spirit and soul go to the grave and turn to dust until the judgement?
That's not biblical, back that up with scripture. You can't