The Law of the Spirit of Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Then for the second part, our bone of contention is keeping the Law of Moses. For the person endeavoring to keep the Law of Moses, he errs as well as the one walking in the law of the Spirit of life-- walking by faith, in the Spirit(under grace).
When you speak of the "Law of Moses" are you also meaning the "Law of YHWH/God" since they are one and the same?

But the difference between the two is that the person endeavoring to keep the Law of Moses often stumble, because he is under the dominion of sin. While the one walking by faith in the Spirit has dominion over sin and occasionally stumbles as is common to every master.
And that is the difference. And this difference is a great difference. It is a great difference between 'The Law of Moses' and the 'The Law of the Spirit of Life In Christ (The Law of Faith--Grace)'. It is the great difference between death and Life. It is also the great difference between Heaven and hell.
Paul wrote that faith does not make the law void (Romans 3:31). He was referring to the Law of Moses and the "law of faith" (verse 27). Therefore, if the law of faith is "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ", then Paul is saying "The Law of the Spirit in Christ" does not make the Law of Moses void."

BTW, I stumble "occasionally" and I know of many Christians who stumble constantly.

For instance, when my little child was trying (endeavoring) to walk, he often fell and got back to creeping again. But now that he has mastered walking, he sometimes stumble and fall, but when he does, he immediately stands up and begin to walk again.
I do the same, but I am a man that not only walks in the Law of the Spirit of Life in Messiah, but who also walks in the Law given through Moses where applicable. Paul wrote;

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Eph 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
Eph 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and you may live long on the earth.​

He was referring to one of the Ten Commandments which is a part of the Law of Moses. Are you saying Paul got it wrong by telling children to keep a Law of Moses? Why didn't he write, "Children, if you obey the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ, you will obey your parents ..."? Paul is referring to the promise made in one of the Ten Commandments. We are also told to obey the two greatest commandments 1) Love YHWH ... and 2) Love your neighbor ... Both are Laws of Moses. The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ (the law of faith) does not make the Law of Moses (the Law of YHWH) void. It establishes (make it stand) the Law.

And I believe there is a significant difference between the two. And that also is the difference between an endeavorer and a master.
So I don't endeavor, but rather, I walk in Spiritual mastery over sin by faith. And of course, my confession and asking for forgiveness when I know I have stumbled, is a part of my master walk in the Spirit (in the Light) as the scripture instructs.
You are striving over words to no avail. We are to be masters over sin by diligently (endeavoring) keeping YHWH's commandments through faith and the empowering of the indwelling Spirit. It is those who abolish YHWH's laws or who approach YHWH's commandments nonchalantly, without a zeal to obey, that end up sinning against Him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Sir,
on reading your explanation, I think we are basically saying the same thing. I never in any way implied that we no longer keep the law of God.
But rather, the summary of my article is that, being under the law of the spirit of life has freed us from the law of sin and death. Hence, we now have absolute dominion over sin.
I meant we can now by grace gain absolute dominion over sin.
You have nothing to clarify. You have very accurately defined (as did Paul) the transition "from death to life." But men will tell you and any who will listen, that "all things have [not] been made new", that we "are [not] a new creation" as long as we are in the world, that we are still "of the world" and [not] "free" in Christ - which things they say against the word of Christ Jesus.

But those of us who have indeed died to sin, "it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives in us" whom did keep the law and overcame sin...and "It is finished." And those who tell you otherwise, have no knowledge of the spirit of God, and do not know that the spirit cannot and does not sin. For the spirit is not in them, and therefore they cling to the law of sin and death - and preach it still.

You said it perfectly - don't stop believing!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For instance, when my little child was trying (endeavoring) to walk, he often fell and got back to creeping again. But now that he has mastered walking, he sometimes stumble and fall, but when he does, he immediately stands up and begin to walk again.
You have spoken the truth. Do not be told of any man that you do not understand it perfectly according to the spirit of God - because you do. Amen!

Reactions: emekrus

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
You have spoken the truth. Do not be told of any man that you do not understand it perfectly according to the spirit of God - because you do. Amen!
Sir I appreciate this encouragement. Thanks and God bless.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
You are striving over words to no avail. We are to be masters over sin by diligently (endeavoring) keeping YHWH's commandments through faith and the empowering of the indwelling Spirit. It is those who abolish YHWH's laws or who approach YHWH's commandments nonchalantly, without a zeal to obey, that end up sinning against Him.

Well Sir,
Let's leave it at that. So long you are walking by faith and in the Spirit to keep God's commandment, then of course you are under grace. That's the most important thing. But to be very honest with you, when it comes to keeping the commandments of God, I like to avoid the words try. I will prefer the other word you used, 'diligently'. It goes better with my faith than the other word you have in bracket 'endeavoring'. The last time I checked out the meaning of both words, there was a difference. Endeavour had one of my forbidden words 'try'.

Well that's how I believe, and of course you have the right to believe otherwise. And I don't see any reason why we should be splitting hair over it.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You have nothing to clarify. You have very accurately defined (as did Paul) the transition "from death to life." But men will tell you and any who will listen, that "all things have [not] been made new", that we "are [not] a new creation" as long as we are in the world, that we are still "of the world" and [not] "free" in Christ - which things they say against the word of Christ Jesus.
If you are referring to me, I don't recall saying such things.

But those of us who have indeed died to sin, "it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives in us" whom did keep the law and overcame sin...and "It is finished." And those who tell you otherwise, have no knowledge of the spirit of God, and do not know that the spirit cannot and does not sin.
Correct, the spirit cannot sin, but the believer in whom the Spirit lives can sin (Galatians 6:1; James 5:19, and a host of other NT verses).

For the spirit is not in them, and therefore they cling to the law of sin and death - and preach it still.
Good thing I'm not one of them.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well Sir,
Let's leave it at that. So long you are walking by faith and in the Spirit to keep God's commandment, then of course you are under grace. That's the most important thing. But to be very honest with you, when it comes to keeping the commandments of God, I like to avoid the words try. I will prefer the other word you used, 'diligently'. It goes better with my faith than the other word you have in bracket 'endeavoring'. The last time I checked out the meaning of both words, there was a difference. Endeavour had one of my forbidden words 'try'.
I guess you are unaware that the same Greek word (spoudazo) that was translated "endeavor" in the NT was also translated "be diligent" (1 Thessalonians 2:17 and 2 Peter 3:14 among others). It was also translated "labour";

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Other versions translate the word "strive" and "diligent". I can understand you believing the Spirit will lead you to obey the Law as Ezekiel 36:26-27 teaches us, but it seems to me that is not what you are saying.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct, the spirit cannot sin, but the believer in whom the Spirit lives can sin (Galatians 6:1; James 5:19, and a host of other NT verses).
These things must all be reconciled with the fact of being a new creation having passed from death to life, or there is no understanding. You cannot have it both ways. Let your yes be yes, and your no be no. It is either Christ who lives, or the old man. If Christ, then "It is finished." If the old man, then it is not Christ, and not the spirit of God, nor is it finished, nor has that person passed from death to life.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you are unaware that the same Greek word (spoudazo) that was translated "endeavor" in the NT was also translated "be diligent" (1 Thessalonians 2:17 and 2 Peter 3:14 among others). It was also translated "labour";

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Other versions translate the word "strive" and "diligent". I can understand you believing the Spirit will lead you to obey the Law as Ezekiel 36:26-27 teaches us, but it seems to me that is not what you are saying.
These things are only true among those of whom Christ has not come into. All of this wordsmithing does not return the spirit of God in a man to death.

No, there is no reconciling all truth and all that is written, unless one considers that the words were preached to and pertain to both the saved and to the unsaved. But what is true of the unsaved is not true of the saved, anymore than what is true of darkness is also true of Light. The word must be rightly divided. For this reason, Jesus preached, "Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness."

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
These things must all be reconciled with the fact of being a new creation having passed from death to life, or there is no understanding. You cannot have it both ways. Let your yes be yes, and your no be no. It is either Christ who lives, or the old man. If Christ, then "It is finished." If the old man, then it is not Christ, and not the spirit of God, nor is it finished, nor has that person passed from death to life.
So, what you are saying is that YOU personally have Christ living in you and because of that YOU never sin. If you ever sinned since becoming a believer, then it is really the old man that lives in YOU and that you really DO NOT have Christ or the Spirit of God.

BTW, I will be unable to post further until Monday or Tuesday.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what you are saying is that YOU personally have Christ living in you and because of that YOU never sin. If you ever sinned since becoming a believer, then it is really the old man that lives in YOU and that you really DO NOT have Christ or the Spirit of God.

BTW, I will be unable to post further until Monday or Tuesday.
Not exactly. But rather, when one passes from death to life, as it is written, that one, that old man is declared dead, and "it is no longer he who lives, but Christ who lives in him", in whom there is no death, but only life.

But there is also the matter of the second death, when that old man eventually dies to the world. Before that time, the dead walk among the living. This is what Paul meant when he said that "to live is Christ, and to die is gain." But do not be confused. Having been crucified and risen again with Christ, one cannot return to sin and death, for he is not himself, and if not himself, then that one who remains until the second death is death which Christ has defeated. That one, being first made in the image of God, is still just an image, like a photograph of one who has passed. But like the new heaven and the new earth, he has passed on to new life in Christ - the two are not the same, but rather the one is the former and the other is the latter: one death and the other life, one darkness and the other light...wherein there is no more darkness, no shadow of turning.

Look therefore, to that former self as the image of what once was, there to remind you of all that you have been saved from. And just like a photograph or a memory that can be revisited, even pop up bring all that once was back to the forefront - death has no power over life. Know also, that as the world passes away, so also that image of our former self that still walks the earth also passes away. Be kind to such, as if you could revisit yourself in childhood - walk with that one, as God now walks with you: "At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you."

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria

Alright let's leave it at that.The just shall live by his faith. It's just that from my personal experience, this my believe has made me a champion over sinful habits that I struggled with before. And you know, the end justify the means. My intention with this and my other articles, is that ultimately people receive Biblical revelations that put them in charge over life's struggles, especially sin.

And of course, this revelation does have the power to do just that, in just exactly the same way it has done mine by the grace of God.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Not exactly. But rather, when one passes from death to life, as it is written, that one, that old man is declared dead, and "it is no longer he who lives, but Christ who lives in him", in whom there is no death, but only life.
I agree.

But there is also the matter of the second death, when that old man eventually dies to the world. Before that time, the dead walk among the living. This is what Paul meant when he said that "to live is Christ, and to die is gain." But do not be confused. Having been crucified and risen again with Christ, one cannot return to sin and death, for he is not himself, and if not himself, then that one who remains until the second death is death which Christ has defeated. That one, being first made in the image of God, is still just an image, like a photograph of one who has passed. But like the new heaven and the new earth, he has passed on to new life in Christ - the two are not the same, but rather the one is the former and the other is the latter: one death and the other life, one darkness and the other light...wherein there is no more darkness, no shadow of turning.
I agree somewhat. The "second death" is the lake of fire (Rev 20:14). You seem to be calling one's literal physical death the second death. We figuratively die when we receive Yeshua and we literally die when our our body no longer has life. If we are not in Messiah at the time of the judgment in Rev 20, then we face the second death. Before the second death is our first literal death. Our figurative death when we receive Yeshua as Savior is not in the equation. Otherwise, the death in Rev 20:14 would be the "third death".

Look therefore, to that former self as the image of what once was, there to remind you of all that you have been saved from. And just like a photograph or a memory that can be revisited, even pop up bring all that once was back to the forefront - death has no power over life. Know also, that as the world passes away, so also that image of our former self that still walks the earth also passes away. Be kind to such, as if you could revisit yourself in childhood - walk with that one, as God now walks with you: "At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you."
This does not change the fact that we can still sin in our current spiritual position in Messiah. To avoid such sin, we must be led by the Spirit as the Spirit leads us to obey the Law of YHWH.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Alright let's leave it at that.The just shall live by his faith. It's just that from my personal experience, this my believe has made me a champion over sinful habits that I struggled with before. And you know, the end justify the means. My intention with this and my other articles, is that ultimately people receive Biblical revelations that put them in charge over life's struggles, especially sin.

And of course, this revelation does have the power to do just that, in just exactly the same way it has done mine by the grace of God.
Praise YHWH that you have victory over the sinful habits of the past. My contention is that many Christians STILL have sinful habits that they are not aware of because they have been deceived into believing they are no longer sinful. I refer to trampling on YHWH's holy Sabbaths and Feast Days, eating unclean meats, etc.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree somewhat. The "second death" is the lake of fire (Rev 20:14). You seem to be calling one's literal physical death the second death. We figuratively die when we receive Yeshua and we literally die when our our body no longer has life. If we are not in Messiah at the time of the judgment in Rev 20, then we face the second death. Before the second death is our first literal death. Our figurative death when we receive Yeshua as Savior is not in the equation. Otherwise, the death in Rev 20:14 would be the "third death".
By the renewing of the mind, it is not the receiving of life in Yeshua that is figurative, but rather what only appears to be life in the world but is death. For all that is in the world is a mere manifestation, a revelation, by the "image" of God.

This does not change the fact that we can still sin in our current spiritual position in Messiah. To avoid such sin, we must be led by the Spirit as the Spirit leads us to obey the Law of YHWH.
It is not that in the flesh we sin or still sin, but rather did sin, which was before the foundation of the world and is now manifest for our salvation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
By the renewing of the mind, it is not the receiving of life in Yeshua that is figurative, but rather what only appears to be life in the world but is death. For all that is in the world is a mere manifestation, a revelation, by the "image" of God.

It is not that in the flesh we sin or still sin, but rather did sin, which was before the foundation of the world and is now manifest for our salvation.
This sounds like a bunch of philosophical mumbo jumbo. Please explain your view using Scripture. Here are a few verses that tell us our sins are present, not past.

1Co_15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
Eph_4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
1Jn_2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Yeshua Messiah the righteous:
1Jn_5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1Jn_5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.​

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here are a few verses that tell us our sins are present, not past.
There are many today who are teaching that Christians do not have to deal with their present sins. That is false doctrine.

The Bible makes it perfectly clear that:

1. Sin shall not have DOMINION over the child of God, since he or she has the indwelling Holy Spirit, and therefore we can be overcomers.

2. The old Adamic sin nature ("the flesh") has not been eradicated, therefore we are to mortify the flesh and walk in the Spirit.

3. Christians can, and will sin, therefore we must examine ourselves daily, confess our sins to God, repent (turn from our sins), and walk in holiness and righteousness.

4. Those who have been saved by grace must live "soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world", which means that salvation is not a license to sin.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This sounds like a bunch of philosophical mumbo jumbo. Please explain your view using Scripture.
If you believe so, then you have missed much. Here below are the scriptures in red. Must I really quote them for you?

Here are a few verses that tell us our sins are present, not past.

1Co_15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
Eph_4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
1Jn_2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Yeshua Messiah the righteous:
1Jn_5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1Jn_5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
These passages are all spoken to those still in sin, not to Christ in us.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
If you believe so, then you have missed much. Here below are the scriptures in red. Must I really quote them for you?
Your red words didn't help. Elaborate on this statement:

I understand you to be saying "our sins were before the foundation of the world and are now being manifested for our salvation", which is total nonsense. Also, the first part of your statement which you did not put in red is what I primarily wanted Scripture for. You seem to be teaching that a believer no longer sins.

These passages are all spoken to those still in sin, not to Christ in us.
Of course they are not spoken to "Christ in us". Messiah Yeshua does not sin, but believers who are still living in fleshly bodies do sin.

They are ALL written to believers who still have the ability to sin or have seen other believers sin or who are being admonished to not sin in the future. You are among those who can still sin and who are being warned not to. Why the warning if we can no longer sin?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your red words didn't help. Elaborate on this statement:

I understand you to be saying "our sins were before the foundation of the world and are now being manifested for our salvation", which is total nonsense. Also, the first part of your statement which you did not put in red is what I primarily wanted Scripture for. You seem to be teaching that a believer no longer sins.
These things are self-evident. If one is in Christ who was slain before the foundation of the world, then sin was also before the foundation of the world, or God is unjust, having slain Christ before any were guilty. But if you will deny the one, surely it is you who have questioned God. But I do not question Him, but take Him to mean that when He says that He created man in His own image, that it is an image, and that just like the world, it is passing away, while the actual substance of all things is in God, and only manifest in the image that He has "created", which He refers to as a "shadow", as a revealing or revelation. These things are clear to me, not because it is my philosophy, or even that I merely "believe" them to be true, but because I know it by revelation - which is the promise of Christ unto all truth.

Of course they are not spoken to "Christ in us". Messiah Yeshua does not sin, but believers who are still living in fleshly bodies do sin.

They are ALL written to believers who still have the ability to sin or have seen other believers sin or who are being admonished to not sin in the future. You are among those who can still sin and who are being warned not to. Why the warning if we can no longer sin?
No, you have Paul (for one) contradicting himself, which is not true. One cannot be a new creation in Christ and it no longer be them who lives, but Christ who lives in them...and still be that old man of sin who was without Christ - that is, unless you want also to claim that Christ will and does leave and forsake those to whom He has come.

Let your nay be nay, and your yeah be yeah - a man is a new creation or he is not. If ones life is made new by the spirit of God, that spirit cannot and does not sin. Have you not read and acknowledged this from John, as the truth from God?