The Limited Aspect of Christian Love - "I love you, but I don't like you."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--- PARODY ---

Christian #1: "I love you, but I don't like you."
Christian #2: "Say what?"
Christian #1: "The Bible says I have to love you, but it doesn't say I have to like you."
Christian #2: "That doesn't sound like love to me."
Christian #1: "That's your problem."
Christian #2: "It sounds more like YOUR problem"
Christian #1: "My problem?"
Christian #2: "Yes. If you don't like me. how can you say you love me?"
Christian #1: "The Bible doesn't say anything about me liking you."
Christian #2: "That seems like a workaround."
Christian #1: "A workaround?"
Christian #2: "Yes, you are working around loving me when you really don't."
Christian #1: "I see."
Christian #2: "Can I buy you a cup of coffee?"
Christian #1: "I would like that."
Christian #2: "Well, that's a start."

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmmm. Is the real requirement, then, that we LIKE one another?
LOL
See what a twisted mess we have created with this whole subject?
We should assume that loving someone also means liking them.
But the liking seems more difficult than the emotionless "loving" of them.

If we do loving things for people we don't like, will we eventually learn to like them? And they, us?

Is that God's strategy?
That's probably the best way to handle it.
It's going to be a real challenge with some folks.

/

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the liking seems more difficult than the emotionless "loving" of them.
Changes of latitude, changes of attitude*? Or would "changes of heart" be better? Is that what "metanoia" is?

And if emotionally loving them is contingent on THEM changing both their behavior and their attitude towards us, what then? You can't control other people's hearts.

Can we even change our own hearts?

(*"Good times and riches / and sonuvab*****s / I've seen more than I can recall." Earworm warning! But this thread is about really loving the SOBs in our lives, in not only the strength of our actions but also in heart and mind and soul.)

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Changes of latitude, changes of attitude*? Or would "changes of heart" be better? Is that what "metanoia" is?

And if emotionally loving them is contingent on THEM changing both their behavior and their attitude towards us, what then? You can't control other people's hearts.

Can we even change our own hearts?

(*"Good times and riches / and sonuvab*****s / I've seen more than I can recall." Earworm warning! But this thread is about really loving the SOBs in our lives, in not only the strength of our actions but also in heart and mind and soul.)
All too often we ask God to change our circumstances, or the other person, instead of changing us.

/

Reactions: Lambano

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--- PARODY ---

Person#1: Jesus said I have to love you.
Person #2: Hmm... does that mean you love me, or not?
Person#1: It means I "have" to love you.
Person #2: Don't you even like me?
Person#1: Not really.
Person #2: How can you love me if you don't even like me?

Indeed.

/
Like and love are not the same. God is love ....not like. God can love us, and chastise us, or even punish ...all at the same time.

The family who stole my granddaughter ....literally stole her ....I don't like anything about them. But I do pray for their salvation. I never thought I could, but I found myself praying fervently for that whole family to be saved ....on several occasions. We are told to love and pray for our enemies ...to do good in return for evil. We are never commanded to like someone. I don't like these people's evil intents, or their actions, which stem out of evil hearts that devised evil schemes. But I know the heart of God is to save them and He doesn't take delight in the death of the wicked... and they have my granddaughter, and I want that whole family snatched out of satan's clutches!! I ultimately hate the thief who steals souls. So ....I pray for my enemies. It brings me a certain satisfaction to allow God to love through me and pray for my enemies ....rather than let hatred take root ....and it delights my heart to think of them SERVING JESUS CHRIST ....and satan loses ... again!❤️

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like and love are not the same. God is love ....not like. God can love us, and chastise us, or even punish ...all at the same time.

The family who stole my granddaughter ....literally stole her ....I don't like anything about them. But I do pray for their salvation. I never thought I could, but I found myself praying fervently for that whole family to be saved ....on several occasions. We are told to love and pray for our enemies ...to do good in return for evil. We are never commanded to like someone. I don't like these people's evil intents, or their actions, which stem out of evil hearts that devised evil schemes. But I know the heart of God is to save them and He doesn't take delight in the death of the wicked... and they have my granddaughter, and I want that whole family snatched out of satan's clutches!! I ultimately hate the thief who steals souls. So ....I pray for my enemies. It brings me a certain satisfaction to allow God to love through me and pray for my enemies ....rather than let hatred take root ....and it delights my heart to think of them SERVING JESUS CHRIST ....and satan loses ... again!❤️
I truly believe this is why Jesus said to pray for our enemies. Bc if we allow Holy Spirit to pray through us ....it changes our hearts, too and protects us from hatred that could take root.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only really one biblical defintion of love that I know of, and it comes from 1 Corinthians 13. It speaks of unconditional love, which Yahava is.

View attachment 37255
So far, you've posted the only biblical definition of the LOVE of God, which is AGAPE. Whenever I read the scriptural definition you shared, it is hard to see anyone meeting the grade.

I think the love chapter definition is the standard we are called to, but it is not the standard for acceptance of anyone.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do loving things for people we don't like, will we eventually learn to like them? And they, us?

Is that God's strategy?
We may find there are some likable things about them ....provided we have an opportunity to do loving things for folks we don't like.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray that God opens my heart up to love those who I find difficult to Love....I must surrender to his will...in that area....it’s not easy......all in God’s timing and at the end of the day...he knows our hearts.

I’ll have to pray about this one....
Then lets examine what GOD does to those who HE LOVES and then let us , as did the apostels follow that example .
Are you ready .
ALL WHOM GOD LOVETH HE CORRECTS , HE CHASTENS .
Therefore , wrote paul , PUT THAT MAN OUT . GOD WILL JUDGE HIM , WILL CORRECT HIM .
IF WE LOVE WE DO CORRECT . in fact i can prove this through older scrips as well .
DO NOT hate your neighbor in your heart . YOU shall CORECT HIM , REBUKE HIM , and not allow SIN UPON HIM .
LOVE CORRECTS . what love DONT DO is just let men drown in sin and in error . ONLY satan would do that .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We may find there are some likable things about them ....provided we have an opportunity to do loving things for folks we don't like.
Many folks work so hard to find common ground . And yet often forget
We ought to be loving , doing and instructing others to do WHAT IS PLEASING TO GOD . not what is pleasing to man , but rather TO GOD .
So many are working under the guise of a false relationship . one which focuses on
trying to find ways to GET ALONG rather than preaching the ONLY WAY TO GOD .
THEY offer up silence to sins and errors , they find ways to get along with others STILL IN ERROR , or still in UNBELIEF ITSELF .
Now i do tell us all that pattern WONT WORK . HERE is what the result of that pattern will be , FALLING AWAY
cause one was UNEQUALLY YOKED together . BOY howdy satan sure does know how to decieve dont he .
OH just get along , oh just ..............................THEY FALL AWAY .
What does it matter to me if folks like the same foods i do or we have similiar things in common . MANKIND DOES .
But if our COMMON GROUND AINT UNDER GOD UNDER CHRIST UNDER HIS TRUTH , THEN WE aint and cannot have COMMON GROUND .
its time we bible up and get busy preaching JESUS and correcting sins and errors within the church .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All too often we ask God to change our circumstances, or the other person, instead of changing us.

/
Alright. Do there exist any behaviors or attitudes that absolutely cannot be tolerated and the other absolutely must change if real "love" (or "like" or "relationship") can take place?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright. Do there exist any behaviors or attitudes that absolutely cannot be tolerated and the other absolutely must change if real "love" (or "like" or "relationship") can take place?
Would rebuttals on my topics count? - LOL

/

• Haha
Reactions: Hillsage

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 4:20 NIV
Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar.
For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen,
cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

/

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far, you've posted the only biblical definition of the LOVE of God, which is AGAPE. Whenever I read the scriptural definition you shared, it is hard to see anyone meeting the grade.

I think the love chapter definition is the standard we are called to, but it is not the standard for acceptance of anyone.

Thank you for sharing hillage.

Reactions: Hillsage

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question is obviously not getting any bites. I love HOT subjects so, '
'LAMBANO' let's see how you 'RECEIVE' :Broadly: a testimony from our recent family reunion/vacation in Branson.

We have had this family reunion at Branson/Silver Dollar City for 50 years, . We always hug the whole family (20-28 now) after getting there and they all hug us. And we hug ALL on our last goodbye, before leaving. That included our nephew who came out of 'the homo closet' 20 years ago and is now 40. Several weeks before going to Branson this time, we found out 'Gay' was bringing his fiance....or would that be fiancee. Wow, intrigue already

So, my wife and I have to have a 'discussion' concerning what we recently learned from a reent church blowup on the subject. We had firmly decided you love the sinner like Jesus did, but you don't condone 'the sin' either, like Jesus did.
K also asked me about do you go to the wedding. My wife has a bigger heart than I do, no surprises HERE. But she also knows that I have the bigger spiritual head. I told her Going is condoning the sin. That was hard because I do love him and always have.

That's my 'setup' for your question. And I'll tell you right now I'm not going to take on a bunch of posters on this. You asked and Steven jokingly replied. And you two are the only ones I'm going to address until I get through the WHOLE story. And I'm going to just say I don't think one person here, will have ever heard 'the last question' I'm going to ask.

So, are you and Steve IN or OUT? Also we're leaving early in the AM and I'm done for tonight.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Love" might look something like Romans 12:9-21. I note the reference in v20 to doing good for your enemies; I remember somebody else telling us to do that. And it doesn't say you have to like the other guy.

9 Love must be free of hypocrisy. Detest what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor, 11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never repay evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all people. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written: “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 “But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
That is good. There is friendship love, motherly love towards their own child, or fatherly love towards their own child; brother or sister, love that just involves pleasure, sexual relations (tying the ol knot - Marriage in my opinion.) Then the best and only heavenly achievable in my opinion, is the love which Yahava is. Patient, Kind, keeps no record of being wrongrd, not boastful, and other merits that come from the tree of life (the cross), are all coming from the spirit of Christ (resurrection) within you.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Limited Aspect of Christian Love - "I love you, but I don't like you."
'I love you'....that's the BS
'but I don't like you' .....that's the reality
....determined by the 'but'

• Love