The Most Important Q

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
And On his second missionary journey while in Philippi, Paul was asked the most important question that a human being can ask. The Philippian jailer inquired, "What must I do to be saved?" Paul's answer was astonishing in its simplicity. He tersely replied, "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved..." (Acts 16:30-31). Notice that there is only one verb for the lost person to fulfill before he can receive salvation: "believe." Nothing in Paul's answer resembles other conditions that are commonly inserted into modern evangelistic messages, such as baptism, church membership, walking an aisle, Godly sorrow, forsaking sins, etc...Enjoy

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
blessedhope said:
And On his second missionary journey while in Philippi, Paul was asked the most important question that a human being can ask. The Philippian jailer inquired, "What must I do to be saved?" Paul's answer was astonishing in its simplicity. He tersely replied, "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved..." (Acts 16:30-31). Notice that there is only one verb for the lost person to fulfill before he can receive salvation: "believe." Nothing in Paul's answer resembles other conditions that are commonly inserted into modern evangelistic messages, such as baptism, church membership, walking an aisle, Godly sorrow, forsaking sins, etc...Enjoy
blessedhope,

I find a considerable difficulty with the matter you have raised as we have the entire Bible to provide us with the content of the Gospel. You have given only 2 verses. I have attempted to address other content about the Gospel in this summary: The Content of the Gospel . . . and some discipleship

The nature of sin, what you repent from, who Jesus is and what he did for the unbeliever through his passion-resurrection are missing from your definition. When you say we are to 'believe in the Lord Jesus', who is this Lord Jesus? What does it mean to 'believe'? In my understanding, there are too many questions and issues you have not raised.

Oz

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Jesus was teaching His disciples. He asked them: Have you understood all this? Matthew 13:51 They answered: Yes.

But it is evident from what happened later, they were actually rather clueless. It isn't much different today, in fact I consider the situation among Christians to be worse now, as they are fed so much unbiblical doctrine.
The time has now come, as Amos 8:11-12 says: when people will search for the Word of God and will not find it.
And Paul says in Timothy 4:3-4 The time will come when people will not abide proper Biblical teaching, but will only listen to false doctrines.......

​No doubt, we ARE in that time now, everyone should be very careful to believe only what the Bible clearly teaches.

So the answer to the most important question is: Believe on the Lord Jesus and stand firm in your trust in Him and you will be saved.

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
The rich young ruler believed and received Jesus and what Jesus said. We know this because he went away sorrowful... see Luke 18:18. The disciples then asked Jesus... "who then can be saved?" John writes, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12) Receiving Jesus into your heart is a man made concept. There is a huge difference in believing "in Him" and believing "Him." The context of Scripture is very clear that we must actually believe Him to the point that action is placed to our belief. Not a belief such as believing in the existence of a being, such as the Easter bunny or Santa. To believe Jesus requires knowing Him, what He has said, and acting upon it. So many state that they believe in Jesus, but have no clue of His words. He said that He is the vine and we are the branches. Those who abide in Him and He in them will bring forth much fruit. Without abiding in Him we can do nothing and we bear no fruit. Those who bear no fruit are lopped of and thrown into the fire...see John 15. John tells us in Rev. 3:5 that those who do not overcome... there names are blotted out in the book of life. To suggest differently, is to add or subtract from the book.

Reactions: Dan57

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Belief entails action... If I told you their was a $100 bill under your bed, but you never looked or retrieved it, your response demonstrates unbelief. "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). True belief is not void of substance, we try follow after what we believe. So imo, belief is more than lip-service, a real believer would retrieve the $100, a hypocrite wouldn't.