The name of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a lot of debate concerning the name of Jesus. The name Jesus first appeared a little more four hundred years ago. Before that name, in the 1611 Bible it was written as Iesous. Which the translators said it was their translation for Joshua.

We also know the son of Nun whose name was changed by Moses to Joshua has the same name as Christ. This can be seen in Acts 7:45, when the translators called Joshua, Jesus.

Acts 7:45

“Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David; Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.”

But I’d like to show you scriptures that addresses Christ as the Son of God.

Christ asked his Apostles who the people said he was? Peter gives the correct answers with:

“Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Christ responded with “blessed are you Peter for flesh and blood did not real this to you but my Father in Heaven did.

Then we have the Father addressing Christ as Son in the following scriptures:

“And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my

beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Then we have Christ instructing the Apostles to baptize in the following names:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

Now when Peter was revealed that Christ was the Son of God he didn’t say you are Jesus the Son of God. Also we have how God should be addressed, Father. We have the Holy Spirit named as the Holy Spirit. So we should address our savior as Son. Or when the the Father addressed him he didn’t say this is my beloveth Son Jesus. Or when Christ told his disciples to baptize he did not give an earthly name but just Son. The name Son is a name that never changes. So why should we not call Christ Son seeing that is what the Father addressed him as?

Another name that is not use much is Father. Christ tells us to address his Father as Father. This is why he said call no man Father for God is your Father. With this statement he is warning us also of those church leaders that insists on being called father. So why do so many address him as God.

I will call Christ by the name The Father acknowledged him, by the name Son. I will also acknowledge God by the name Father. How will you address them?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There has been a lot of debate concerning the name of Jesus. The name Jesus first appeared a little more four hundred years ago. Before that name, in the 1611 Bible it was written as Iesous. Which the translators said it was their translation for Joshua.

We also know the son of Nun whose name was changed by Moses to Joshua has the same name as Christ. This can be seen in Acts 7:45, when the translators called Joshua, Jesus.

Acts 7:45

“Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David; Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.”

But I’d like to show you scriptures that addresses Christ as the Son of God.

Christ asked his Apostles who the people said he was? Peter gives the correct answers with:

“Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Christ responded with “blessed are you Peter for flesh and blood did not real this to you but my Father in Heaven did.

Then we have the Father addressing Christ as Son in the following scriptures:

“And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my

beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Then we have Christ instructing the Apostles to baptize in the following names:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

Now when Peter was revealed that Christ was the Son of God he didn’t say you are Jesus the Son of God. Also we have how God should be addressed, Father. We have the Holy Spirit named as the Holy Spirit. So we should address our savior as Son. Or when the the Father addressed him he didn’t say this is my beloveth Son Jesus. Or when Christ told his disciples to baptize he did not give an earthly name but just Son. The name Son is a name that never changes. So why should we not call Christ Son seeing that is what the Father addressed him as?

Another name that is not use much is Father. Christ tells us to address his Father as Father. This is why he said call no man Father for God is your Father. With this statement he is warning us also of those church leaders that insists on being called father. So why do so many address him as God.

I will call Christ by the name The Father acknowledged him, by the name Son. I will also acknowledge God by the name Father. How will you address them?
Hello there, @Daniel Veler,

The title used by Paul when addressing God in prayer is, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ' (2 Corinthians 11:31; Ephesians 1:3) as does Peter in 1 Peter 1:3.

That title hedges truth around in such a way that it leaves no room for anyone other than one who acknowledges the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Begotten Son of God.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the transliteration of the greek word Iesus (remove the I replace with a J)

Which was the greek word used for his hebrew name Joshua (I believe the word is Yeshua?)

Christ is his title. It is from the greek word Christos, which was the Greek word for the hebrew term Messiah or the anointed one

He is the lord
His earthly name is Joshua (Jesus)
his title is christ.

he is refered by all three in the new testament

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We can address God as Father because Jesus taught us to do that but The angel told both Mary and Joseph that God's son should be names Jesus:

Luke 1:29-31
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.

Matthew 1:19-21
But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

We can't call Jesus 'Son' because he tells us we are his brothers and sister.

Last edited:

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The title used by Paul when addressing God in prayer is, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ' (2 Corinthians 11:31; Ephesians 1:3) as does Peter in 1 Peter 1:3.

That title hedges truth around in such a way that it leaves no room for anyone other than one who acknowledges the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Begotten Son of God.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I guess the point I was making was that Joshua and the name Jesus

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I guess what I wanted show was the name Jesus was a translation from the Greek. Which was to mean Joshua. I often thought why when they were translating the Bible why they left certain Latin words and not translating them to English but they chose to leave it Greek. When we think of the name Jesus we don’t associate it with the name Joshua. We view them as separate names. When the translators used the name for Joshua as Jesus. Just wondering. If you lookup the word Jesus with its Latin meaning it will shock you.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can address God as Father because Jesus taught us to do that but The angel told both Mary and Joseph that God's son should be names Jesus:

Luke 1:29-31
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.

Matthew 1:19-21
But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

We can't call Jesus 'Son' because he tells us we are his brothers and sister.
In another gospel it is recorded to call him Emmanuel.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that means God with us. We know Jesus is God.
My point was why don’t we call him by Emmanuel? I know we chose to call him Jesus. But Jesus is the Latin for Joshua. Why don’t we call him that? Why were some words left as Latin words and not changed to reflect the English name or the Hebrew name Yeshua which means Joshua.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My point was why don’t we call him by Emmanuel? I know we chose to call him Jesus. But Jesus is the Latin for Joshua. Why don’t we call him that? Why were some words left as Latin words and not changed to reflect the English name or the Hebrew name Yeshua which means Joshua.
Yeshua also. And what about other names? Such as of Peter and Mary. As the scriptures were translated so the names also became Anglicized. Sometimes He is called Immanuel and he has other names too but we use the most common name for him as we do with our own friends and families. He is our brother so we can be personal and use his given name in our own language.