The Necessity Of Tongues As A Prayer Language

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; He did say these signs will follow those Who believe. I suppose if you don't believe in tongues then you won't be bothered with it, even though its available to everyone that meets the top condition of believing on him and getting baptized. The part Paul was talking about is in a church setting. It's very rude for someone to just stand up and start speaking in tongues and claim the Holy Ghost made them do it. You can speak in tongues all you want at home though. It adds a whole lot to prayer time as the Holy Ghost can cover all the things we don't know about according to the will of God, and Satan does not understand a lick of it since we are praying mystery's to God. Be blessed.Jesus Is Lord.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Brother Mike;71190 said:
In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues
That doesn't necessarily mean babbling in an unknown tongue, it can just as easily mean speaking sensibly in a new way after being born again.I'll be brutally frank about this- As God is my witness if there are out-of-control tongue-babblers in heaven I don't want to go

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
MickinEngland your a very interesting person. Things seem black and white to you with no areas of gray. This can be a great strength as we have a moral society that applies situation ethics when it benefits them. Just don't let it keep you from getting something good God would like to do for you.Be blessed.Jesus Is Lord.

watchman

Feb 7, 2008
MickinEngland;71198 said:
I'll be brutally frank about this- As God is my witness if there are out-of-control tongue-babblers in heaven I don't want to go
And you might not be.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
[quote name='MickinEngland;71198]That doesn't necessarily mean babbling in an unknown tongue' date=' it can just as easily mean speaking sensibly in a new way after being born again.I'll be brutally frank about this- As God is my witness if there are out-of-control tongue-babblers in heaven I don't want to go[/QUOTE']Couldnt agree more this babbel is exactly what it is babbel God has no use for it ... There is no seperate baptism of babbeling the bible interpters often use spirit and holy ghost interchangably 1Cr 12:13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Eph 4:4[There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; The word tonges simply means differnt human languages .... on pencost day this language was understood by all ...Anybody waiting for the gift of incoherent babbel to think they have received the holy spirit Is deny the One baptisim of all all who profess their believe in Christ any real research into the language used will bare this out ... Its a modern tradition of men .... We are told not to preach to others in a foriegn languge(tongue) as they will not undertand there fore you may feel good about your preaching(edifiyng yourself) but it does nothing for the church there fore we are told not to preach in church in forgien languages (tonges) without an interpter ... God has no use for babbling ,muttering incoherently Isa 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?A study of Language http://www.entrewave.com/view/reformedonline/Pentecost,%20part%205.htm

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Brother Mike;71225 said:
MickinEngland your a very interesting person. Things seem black and white to you with no areas of gray. This can be a great strength as we have a moral society that applies situation ethics when it benefits them. Just don't let it keep you from getting something good God would like to do for you.
God has already given me the tremendous gift of being able to see things in crisp clear black and white, I can ask no more..:)

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Christina;71293 said:
..this babbel is exactly what it is babbel God has no use for it ..
Right..:)There's a big church near me; my sister popped in once and was horrified, she said "They were all babbling like monkeys and waving their arms in the air, I'm not going again"What a disgraceful church to set such a bad example, I bet Satan is chuckling with glee..

watchman

Feb 7, 2008
MickinEngland;71295] What a disgraceful church to set such a bad example said:
What really makes Satan happy is people like you, who speak doubt into lives, and looking down on Christ true followers.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
watchman;71299]What really makes Satan happy is people like you said:
But if your belief in tongue-speaking is rock solid and unshakeable, why do you admit that I or anybody else can put doubt in your mind?

watchman

Feb 7, 2008
MickinEngland;71302]But if your belief in tongue-speaking is rock solid and unshakeable said:
Ahh, you do not put doubt in my mind, but in the minds of the simple. Romans 1617 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
watchman;71305] [B]Romans 16[/B][B]17 Now I beseech you said:
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Yes, and tongue-speaking IS divisive..:)Brit TV recently did a documentary on Alpha Courses, and when newcomers were urged to tongue-speak at a meeting, two of them walked out in disgust, i'd have done the same!I later complained to Alpha Head Office about bullying newcomers but they were unrepentant..

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Let me just clarify my position- I'm not against tongue-speaking if it makes them feel closer to God, but they MUST follow Pauls instruction to do it in a sensible way lest they make themselves and Christianity look stupid-(1 Cor 14:39-40)

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
Mick, you do realize that any time a Christian prays in the spirit/speaks in tongues (even following Pauls instructions) non-Christians are going to be put off/amused/aghast by it and are going to see them and Christianity as "stupid." And if those around them when the speak (pray, praise) in tongues are true Christians, then they shouldn't have to worry about "making themselves and Christianity look stupid." Point being, ANY way you pray in the spirit or speak in tongues, non-Christians are going to like have an issue with it. If we as Christians aren't to worry about what they think of us when we do that, why should Christians who are sincerely praying/praising in tongues have to worry about what fellow Christians think?

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Polar;71333 said:
..why should Christians who are sincerely praying/praising in tongues have to worry about what fellow Christians think?
Paul laid down firm sensible guidelines for tongue-speaking, would you say the same thing to him and ignore him?

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
Paul's "firm sensible guidelines for tongue-speaking" are still going to make Christians look stupid to non-believers. My point is that if Christians shouldn't care what non-believers think about praying in the spirit/tongue speaking, why should we worry if we "look silly" in front of our brothers and sisters who are supposed to assume the best of us and love us unconditionally regardless. Your statement appears to be trying to deflect the subject from your previous statement I commented on.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MickinEngland;71310]Let me just clarify my position- I said:
You said the same thing regarding church attendance and baptism. When you say that you're "not against _________ if it makes them feel closer to God" you seem to imply that all of these things are merely suggestions or take-or-leave-it propositions. The Word of God is not a cafeteria where you take what you like and disregard the rest. Even if the neglect of some of God's institutions are not soul damning' date=' that's no excuse for a rebellious attitude. I'm afraid that you have embraced what I like to call "Frank Sinatra" theology -- [I']I Did It My Way.[/I]

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Polar;71339 said:
..Paul's "firm sensible guidelines for tongue-speaking" are still going to make Christians look stupid to non-believers..
Not at all, if they quietly mumble it under their breaths.Or do they think they have to shout it out to make God hear them?The bottom line is that Paul said he'd rather people preached than tongue-spoke, yet they blatantly ignore him and go on babbling loudly regardless, not good. (1 Cor 14:37-38)

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
[quote name='Nomad;71341]..The Word of God is not a cafeteria where you take what you like and disregard the rest.[I].[/I][/QUOTE] Should I therefore go out and kill witches because the Old Testament tells us to? Or stone adulteresses?Or refuse to listen to women preachers because Paul says they should be silent?No' date=' we're not mindless robots who must slavishly follow the Bible literally; rather God gives us [I']free will[/I] to shop around the cafeteria to select only the items we feel comfortable with.Think of it as a test to see which choices we make, then on Judgment Day we'll find out whether we've failed or not..