The Power of the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
It is no longer I, but Christ living in me....the reason we can become sinless and perfect. Christ is the overcomer, we are living His life, in God all things are possible.

The Old Covenant was a covenant between God and Israel.

According to Richard, the New Covenant is a covenant between God and......God?

I don't think so.

No that is according to you. I never said it. Don't you know that being a false witness is sin?

By the way, since you say you can become perfect in the flesh how is that effort coming along?

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
RichardBurger, you quoted Galatians 3
Galatians 3:1-3
3 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?
NKJV
Yet you are the one that opposes the idea we can actually attain Christ, and become like him. You call THAT working in the flesh, when in reality it says that BY the Spirit, we are to put to death the deeds of the flesh. This very verse speaks of moving on forward to attain Christ, only it tells how NOT to do it.

As Christians we ought to glory in nothing of ourselves, but we ought to have faith that HE indeed can do all things, in spite of our old nature, and by his power through the new nature that is now in us.

The Kingdom is not word, but in power, and that is the power unto the salvation of the soul. To be saved from the corruption, and the forces of evil, now.

We are placed "in Christ" by an operation of the Holy Spirit (born again of the Spirit). However, our flesh nature is still what we live in as long as we are alive on this earth and it will continue to sin. But you seem to disagree with that so tell me when you become perfect.

Like some others you seem, to me, to believe you can become perfect in the flesh by the works of the flesh. That idea is from man, not God. God has said that flesh and blood will never enter into heaven.

Romans 8:13
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
NKJV
To many the above means we are to stop sinning (put to death the deeds of the Body) but I don't believe that because it is impossible. When a child of God acknowledges that they are sinful in the flesh and reach out to Jesus they are, in effect, putting to death the deeds of the body. To live according to the flesh is to become religiously righteous and think you can be perfect and in doing so not need Jesus.

I, as a child of God living in a sinful body, am only perfect "in Christ". My flesh body will never be perfect.

Romans 7:14-25
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.

22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
NKJV
Our Lord Jesus Christ saves us from our sinful bodies of death that follows the law of sin. That does not mean our sinful bodies become perfect.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I believe that by the Spirit, man can indeed put to death the deeds of the flesh. You deny this. You claim we are slaves, I claim that Jesus has come to set us free.

What about these verses of scripture? How do you explain those away?

[sup]Galatians 2:20[/sup] I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

[sup]1 Peter 4:1[/sup] Therefore, since Christ suffered for us[sup][a][/sup] in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, [sup]2[/sup] that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

The Gospel you preach has no power in this life to overcome, only some kind of power to justify man in the next... You deny the power of Christ. Are all things possible with God? You answer yes (if I give you the reference) and then deny it with your next statement. Can a man walk in Christ, by the power and life of the Spirit and overcome all sin? Can God do such a thing? Or is it impossible for him? Can faith move mountains?

It can indeed. Through Christ, all things are possible. The Lord has come not to hide sin, but to expose it and it's deeds and to call us to leave our life, and walk in His.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I believe that by the Spirit, man can indeed put to death the deeds of the flesh. You deny this. You claim we are slaves, I claim that Jesus has come to set us free.

What about these verses of scripture? How do you explain those away?

[sup]Galatians 2:20[/sup] I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

[sup]1 Peter 4:1[/sup] Therefore, since Christ suffered for us[sup][a][/sup] in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, [sup]2[/sup] that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

The Gospel you preach has no power in this life to overcome, only some kind of power to justify man in the next... You deny the power of Christ. Are all things possible with God? You answer yes (if I give you the reference) and then deny it with your next statement. Can a man walk in Christ, by the power and life of the Spirit and overcome all sin? Can God do such a thing? Or is it impossible for him? Can faith move mountains?

It can indeed. Through Christ, all things are possible. The Lord has come not to hide sin, but to expose it and it's deeds and to call us to leave our life, and walk in His.

Oh no, you explain what Paul said in romans 7:25
25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
You deny that ""with the flesh"" a person follows the law of sin as Paul said he did. You would like for this verse to go away and not be seem to say what it does because of your idea that the sinful flesh can be made perfect.

If the sinful flesh can be made perfect then why did Jesus say we must be born again of the Spirit?

John 3:6
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
NKJV
If a person is a child of God they are both flesh and Spirit. While living their life in a body of sinful flesh they will still sin just as you do.

You said, "The Gospel you preach has no power in this life to overcome, only some kind of power to justify man in the next"

The power of God saves sinners. In the spirit a child of God has ALREADY been made perfect in the Spirit, not the flesh. But you can't seem to be able to see that you have two natures, one of Spirit and one of flesh.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Again, I do not say that the flesh is made perfect, I say that by the Spirit, we can crucify the deeds of the flesh. If a man walks by the Spirit, can he sin? No. Paul says, put to death the deeds of the flesh and you will live.

My answer to Romans 7:25 comes right after in Romans 8
[sup]1[/sup] There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. [sup]2[/sup] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

I do agree, Richard, that as we are frail, and we often fail. But does that mean man cannot attain Christ and reach maturity in him? No. We must press on and seek to be conformed to the image of Christ. Is it a vain hope, to seek Christ in this life once we have been born again? Is there nothing more than being born again. The rest we just have to wait for it? No! In this life, Christ can set us free. We can walk in his life and power, as did Stephen, Peter, Paul, John, and the rest of the saints.

Ok, I explained your verse, care to explain mine? :D

God bless you

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Again, I do not say that the flesh is made perfect, I say that by the Spirit, we can crucify the deeds of the flesh. If a man walks by the Spirit, can he sin? No. Paul says, put to death the deeds of the flesh and you will live.

My answer to Romans 7:25 comes right after in Romans 8
[sup]1[/sup] There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. [sup]2[/sup] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

I do agree, Richard, that as we are frail, and we often fail. But does that mean man cannot attain Christ and reach maturity in him? No. We must press on and seek to be conformed to the image of Christ. Is it a vain hope, to seek Christ in this life once we have been born again? Is there nothing more than being born again. The rest we just have to wait for it? No! In this life, Christ can set us free. We can walk in his life and power, as did Stephen, Peter, Paul, John, and the rest of the saints.

Ok, I explained your verse, care to explain mine? :D

God bless you

Why can't we continue to discuss mine. I am not going to chase you all over the Bible taking a verse here and a verse there that you have determined support you ideas and leave mine in the dust.

Your explaination is not mine. You posted "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. [sup]2[/sup] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

There is nothing in this verse to indicate that the flesh has been made perfect. If we are "in Christ" we do not sin in the spirit. Don't you understand the words "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death" To me it means I am free from the law that kills. It means I am no longer held accountable for my sins of the flesh, they have been paid for by Jesus' shed blood on the cross and I am saved by God's grace..

It is clear, to me, that there is no condemnation to those that have been placed "In Christ" by the Holy Spirit and these are those that walk "according to the Spirit." What does according mean to you? To me it means to walk in the faith that we are perfect before God in the Spirit, not the flesh.

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
In the spirit a child of God has ALREADY been made perfect in the Spirit, not the flesh. But you can't seem to be able to see that you have two natures, one of Spirit and one of flesh.

Yes, in spirit we are perfect, whole, complete. And our lives can be an unfolding of that perfection; expressing to the outer world that which is in our inner being. The flesh cannot be made perfect and Prentis is not saying that it can.

You say we have two natures. Which do you choose to be centered in? Where is your conscious awareness right now? In the flesh, the mind, the ego, which is enmity against God? Or do you partake of the divine nature within you? (2Pet 1:4) Have you sought ye first and rested your way into the kingdom of God within you in practical experience? Is your conscious awareness centered there? For therein is found the mind of Christ, the Bread of Life, the Rivers of Living Water; therein we are joined in one Spirit unto the Lord. Where is your "I" centered? Behind your eyes? Or at your core where we abide in Christ.

Yes, this is getting into practicality. Into experience. This is all foolish to the flesh, to the self. Know that if we follow the flesh in these matters we will always choose to engage in the safety of theological discussion. Or we can be still and know, in the now, in experience; and talk about what happened there. :)

Peace to you.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Only, Richard, your interpretation goes against this...

According to you, men cannot, by suffering (putting to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit) cease from sin, and live no longer for their lusts, but for God.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Yes, in spirit we are perfect, whole, complete. And our lives can be an unfolding of that perfection; expressing to the outer world that which is in our inner being. The flesh cannot be made perfect and Prentis is not saying that it can.

You say we have two natures. Which do you choose to be centered in? Where is your conscious awareness right now? In the flesh, the mind, the ego, which is enmity against God? Or do you partake of the divine nature within you? (2Pet 1:4) Have you sought ye first and rested your way into the kingdom of God within you in practical experience? Is your conscious awareness centered there? For therein is found the mind of Christ, the Bread of Life, the Rivers of Living Water; therein we are joined in one Spirit unto the Lord. Where is your "I" centered? Behind your eyes? Or at your core where we abide in Christ.

Yes, this is getting into practicality. Into experience. This is all foolish to the flesh, to the self. Know that if we follow the flesh in these matters we will always choose to engage in the safety of theological discussion. Or we can be still and know, in the now, in experience; and talk about what happened there. :)

Peace to you.

I walk in the Spirit because I know my sins have been paid for on the cross. I do not focus on my sin nature but on the truth of God, the cross. But the religious are concerned with making their flesh perfect and in doing so are walking in the flesh. I have no confidence in my flesh just as Paul said he didn't.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Only, Richard, your interpretation goes against this...

According to you, men cannot, by suffering (putting to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit) cease from sin, and live no longer for their lusts, but for God.

But you want others to live in their flesh by saying they must walk in an effort to make it perfect.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying.. Tell me, do you really think you can reach a point where you no longer sin in the flesh? If yes, then you are calling God a liar since He said that he who says he has no sin is a liar. If you say no, then why are you laying a burden on others that you can't carry yourself?

I suffer in the flesh because my flesh is under the law of sin just as Paul said it is. Just as Paul said he did not want to sin, neither do I, but I know I do so I suffer from that truth. But Jesus has set me free from my sins of the flesh. Now I suffer for the gospel of grace that was given to Paul when others try to persecute me for believing it. Jesus suffered from the hands of religious people, so did Stephen and Paul. But I know people will say that I don't.

A child of God has only ceased from sin because his/her faith in the shed blood on the cross has set him/her free from the law of sin and death. As long as a person has their faith in Jesus' work on the cross their sins of the flesh are not counted against him/her. That is why Paul said he had no confidence in the flesh.

Many preach that people must change their sinful nature. It didn't seem to work with the Jews. But they, like people today, did not see their own sin of murder. They were only concerned with the sins of others.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Can I? No, Christ in me, yes. I do not condemn a man for not going there. I only say that it is what Christ calls us to. I do not think we should strive in our flesh. I think we must work out our salvation in fear and trembling, putting to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit. Does saying sin can be overcome equal saying I have no sin? Not at all. I have sin. Even a man walking in the Spirit who is not sinning at the moment cannot say that he doesn't have sin, but that's because he's sinned in the past. John also says that he who is born of God has ceased from sin.

A child of God has only ceased from sin because his/her faith in the shed blood on the cross has set him/her free from the law of sin and death. As long as a person has their faith in Jesus' work on the cross their sins of the flesh are not counted against him/her. That is why Paul said he had no confidence in the flesh.

That is NOT what Peter says in his epistle. He says the one who suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin. Paul had no confidence in the flesh, and you are right to imitate him on this and to have no confidence in it's power. But Paul had confidence in the Spirit and in the power of Christ, that by it he might put to death the deeds of the flesh. This, you clearly don't believe.

Many preach that people must change their sinful nature. It didn't seem to work with the Jews. But they, like people today, did not see their own sin of murder. They were only concerned with the sins of others.

If men preach that, I agree with you that they do not preach the gospel of God. You are right, our old nature can do nothing. But don't you know we have received a new nature, that we are a new creation, and that Christ is in us? And with Christ, all things are possible. To preach the gospel is not just saying the old nature is dead, that is only half, it is also the proclamation of the new creation that is in Christ, and the life that is in Christ, and that it has overcome the world.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
It has been my lot to find out, first hand, the results of those that teach sinless perfection in the flesh. How it causes many to turn away from Jesus.

A tragic story:

When I was about 25 years old I worked for a factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee. One night when I was working the third shift the security guard came and told me that a man was at the gate wanting to talk to me.

It was a fellow worker at the plant who worked on the first shift and he was very distraught about Christianity. He said he wanted to be a Christian but it just didn't seem to work for him.

I found that he had been talking to some Christians that were telling him that if he was a Christian he would stop sinning. He wanted to stop sinning but he said he couldn't because he still had those fleeting thoughts of sin in his mind and, of course he was told that if you think it you have done it in your mind. He wanted to know what I believed about it.

I told him that Jesus came to save those that could not save themselves; to do for them what they could not do, that to believe in Jesus is to believe in what He did on the cross and to trust that it has saved you.

I also told him that I still sin (I was being honest) and that everyone sins. He said what he had been told by other Christians, that if he sinned he was not a Christian and that I must not be one either since I said I still sin in the flesh. A week later this young man killed himself.

It is obvious that this young man had emotional problems. It is also obvious that the Holy Spirit was convicting him of his sins so that he would turn to Jesus. But I saw, first hand, what the message of the self-righteous does to those that are seeking to be a Christian. They don't go in themselves (because they still sin too) and they prevent others that would go in from doing so, all because they want to see themselves as better, and more righteous, than others.

Matt 23:11-13
11 "But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
(NKJ)

If I show anything to the world let it be the love of Jesus Christ for mankind and what He has done for them on the cross, for all that will place their trust (faith) in Him.
But the religious want to make a show that they do not sin any longer.

Now if you wish to say that I should have told him I no longer sin in the flesh because God has changed me, then I would be bearing false witness just as those that did it to him and those that do it today.

1 John 1:8
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
NKJV

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Of course, if we sin, and claim not to, we are unwise, and if we reject a brother because he has not attained, the love of God is not in us. We are to love all the brothers, you are correct.

But that doesn't mean we lessen the goal or the standard. We all are to come together in humility, seeking to be conformed to Christ. If one advances further, we rejoice with him, and if one struggles, we weep with him. But we do not lower the standard simply because it is difficult. Otherwise we are walking according to what WE believe is right, and we are setting up our own righteousness.

We must be honest. Yes, admit that we fall short of the calling, and yes love and accept the others who also do. But there are two points we must be honest on, the first one I already meantioned. The second one is that indeed the calling of Christ is high, and we must press on. We cannot judge ourselves, and so we must honestly give all we have with the hope that we will attain Christ. Paul himself says 'not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus.'

We must move forward both in repentance and honesty about our shortcomings and zeal to attain Christ and that through him, all things are possible. To take one side and use it against the other is to use a truth to pervert the truth.

Thus why it says: As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. (Rev. 3:19)

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Of course, if we sin, and claim not to, we are unwise, and if we reject a brother because he has not attained, the love of God is not in us. We are to love all the brothers, you are correct.

But that doesn't mean we lessen the goal or the standard. We all are to come together in humility, seeking to be conformed to Christ. If one advances further, we rejoice with him, and if one struggles, we weep with him. But we do not lower the standard simply because it is difficult. Otherwise we are walking according to what WE believe is right, and we are setting up our own righteousness.

We must be honest. Yes, admit that we fall short of the calling, and yes love and accept the others who also do. But there are two points we must be honest on, the first one I already meantioned. The second one is that indeed the calling of Christ is high, and we must press on. We cannot judge ourselves, and so we must honestly give all we have with the hope that we will attain Christ. Paul himself says 'not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus.'

We must move forward both in repentance and honesty about our shortcomings and zeal to attain Christ and that through him, all things are possible. To take one side and use it against the other is to use a truth to pervert the truth.

Thus why it says: As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. (Rev. 3:19)

What I see is that you continue to build your class system of those that are better than others as if you have obtained perfection in the flesh and other haven't.

When Paul said "not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus."it didn't mean perfection of the flesh. It meant he pressed on "in faith" knowing that the results of his faith is eternal life with Jesus Christ. We are called to place our belief, faith, trust, and confidence in the work of God on the cross. That is our high calling.

But I have had enought of this discussion. It is getting us no where. You continue to preach your perfection of the flesh and I will continue to preach that Jesus Christ came to save sinners that can not save themselves no matter how hard they try to be perfect. We are all sinners before God and the only place where we are not sinners is in Jesus Christ. We are placed "in Christ" by an action of the Holy Spirit when we belive in Him. There is no class system "in Christ."

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
No that is according to you. I never said it. Don't you know that being a false witness is sin?

By the way, since you say you can become perfect in the flesh how is that effort coming along?

You said it in so many words, a Covenant is an agreement between two parties, each party fufills their obligations, God is faithful to fulfill His part, always. Believers must fulfill their part, through obedience, through faithfulness and an abiding into Him. You seem to believe you have no obligations, you have nothing to contribute, you are simply because you exist.

You titled this thread "Power of the Cross", when, in fact, you preach a powerless cross, God can "keep you", but He can't transform you into the image of Christ, He can not make you like Jesus, He can not give you a way out of sin, He has not given you a new creation.

God has told us, in His written word, that no man is tempted beyond that which he can not handle, God gives us a way out of sin. He has told us our flesh is dead, we are made alive in Him, it is no longer I, it is Christ who lives in me. The Bible says our life is now His life.

He has told us to "those who overcome", to persevere, to endure, to run the race, to abide, obey, do good works, these are all action verbs, something we do!

Yet these things written in the Bible are ignored, people can not see beyond their denominational doctrines. If only we would believe what God has told us and truly partake of His life in us.

Reactions: Prentis

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
What I see is that you continue to build your class system of those that are better than others as if you have obtained perfection in the flesh and other haven't.

When Paul said "not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus."it didn't mean perfection of the flesh. It meant he pressed on "in faith" knowing that the results of his faith is eternal life with Jesus Christ. We are called to place our belief, faith, trust, and confidence in the work of God on the cross. That is our high calling.

But I have had enought of this discussion. It is getting us no where. You continue to preach your perfection of the flesh and I will continue to preach that Jesus Christ came to save sinners that can not save themselves no matter how hard they try to be perfect. We are all sinners before God and the only place where we are not sinners is in Jesus Christ. We are placed "in Christ" by an action of the Holy Spirit when we belive in Him. There is no class system "in Christ."

I preach that in Christ, there is power and life. You preach that there is none. You preach a Christ that hides who we are from God. I preach a Christ with who we are to be crucified and freed therefore from the power of sin and the flesh.

I preach that we are a new creation, can be conformed to Christ, and can, by the new nature, overcome. You preach that there is no overcoming in this life.

There is no power in your gospel, and it does not require living faith to walk in it, only a 'belief' (with no works, dead faith) that somehow you are saved.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
You said it in so many words, a Covenant is an agreement between two parties, each party fufills their obligations, God is faithful to fulfill His part, always. Believers must fulfill their part, through obedience, through faithfulness and an abiding into Him. You seem to believe you have no obligations, you have nothing to contribute, you are simply because you exist.

You titled this thread "Power of the Cross", when, in fact, you preach a powerless cross, God can "keep you", but He can't transform you into the image of Christ, He can not make you like Jesus, He can not give you a way out of sin, He has not given you a new creation.

God has told us, in His written word, that no man is tempted beyond that which he can not handle, God gives us a way out of sin. He has told us our flesh is dead, we are made alive in Him, it is no longer I, it is Christ who lives in me. The Bible says our life is now His life.

He has told us to "those who overcome", to persevere, to endure, to run the race, to abide, obey, do good works, these are all action verbs, something we do!

Yet these things written in the Bible are ignored, people can not see beyond their denominational doctrines. If only we would believe what God has told us and truly partake of His life in us.

All you are teaching is a works gospel. The "covenant' under grace is that God has done all that is necessary for our salvation and what we do is believe it. Believing it is our obligation. I do contribute, I am on this forum telling others about Paul's gospel of grace and I do it in Bible study groups. But many are on forums teaching a works gospel that places a burden on others. A burden that they can't carry either.

I do not teach a powerless cross. I teach that the cross is the power of God for salvation in this age of grace (Paul said it was). God not only saves His children but He keeps them by the power of the cross. The shed blood on the cross pays for all the sins of the world, especially the sins of those that believe it does. What God (the Holy Spirit) does is place a person "in Christ" and when He does that their sins can not condemn them. No, the flesh is certainly not transform into the image of Christ, only the born again spirit is transformed.

You said, " He can not give you a way out of sin, He has not given you a new creation.

The above are your false ideas about what I say.

You said, "He has told us to "those who overcome", to persevere, to endure, to run the race, to abide, obey, do good works, these are all action verbs, something we do!

The scriptures say we overcome when we place our faith in the work of Jesus on the cross. We are to persevere in our faith, trust, and confidence in Jesus' shed blood and not let the Judiaizer get us to go back under a works (law) gospel. Good works will not get anyone into heaven.

A covenant between two parties you say. Do you know what unmerited favor is? It certainly isn't something you earn or pay for. It is a gift.

You said, "If only we would believe what God has told us and truly partake of His life in us."

My coment: We do this when we accept His life that was given for us on the cross. It is not something we wear around our necks saying look how wonderful ""we''" are. All glory belongs to Jesus, not man.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
All glory does belong to Jesus, yes. That is because only THROUGH HIM can we be made like him. So even if we are like him, we are simply sharing HIS glory, because it is by his grace, his power.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask you what are the characteristics which make Christian a Christian?

I had some discussions with a lot of Christians on that :D

Love. We forgot how to love perfectly after the Fall. It is what we were created to do. Only Christ can justify and sanctify our soul - teaching us to live with mind, heart, and will, culminating in redemption and citizenship in Heaven.

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
All glory does belong to Jesus, yes. That is because only THROUGH HIM can we be made like him. So even if we are like him, we are simply sharing HIS glory, because it is by his grace, his power.
Yes!

All you are teaching is a works gospel. The "covenant' under grace is that God has done all that is necessary for our salvation and what we do is believe it. Believing it is our obligation. I do contribute, I am on this forum telling others about Paul's gospel of grace and I do it in Bible study groups. But many are on forums teaching a works gospel that places a burden on others. A burden that they can't carry either.

I do not teach a powerless cross. I teach that the cross is the power of God for salvation in this age of grace (Paul said it was). God not only saves His children but He keeps them by the power of the cross. The shed blood on the cross pays for all the sins of the world, especially the sins of those that believe it does. What God (the Holy Spirit) does is place a person "in Christ" and when He does that their sins can not condemn them. No, the flesh is certainly not transform into the image of Christ, only the born again spirit is transformed.

You said, " He can not give you a way out of sin, He has not given you a new creation.

The above are your false ideas about what I say.

You said, "He has told us to "those who overcome", to persevere, to endure, to run the race, to abide, obey, do good works, these are all action verbs, something we do!

The scriptures say we overcome when we place our faith in the work of Jesus on the cross. We are to persevere in our faith, trust, and confidence in Jesus' shed blood and not let the Judiaizer get us to go back under a works (law) gospel. Good works will not get anyone into heaven.

A covenant between two parties you say. Do you know what unmerited favor is? It certainly isn't something you earn or pay for. It is a gift.

You said, "If only we would believe what God has told us and truly partake of His life in us."

My coment: We do this when we accept His life that was given for us on the cross. It is not something we wear around our necks saying look how wonderful ""we''" are. All glory belongs to Jesus, not man.

And so what happens when we don't persevere? The Bible tells us we will be cut-off.

You still do not hear that is what I am saying, yes, it is the Lord in us, that is why I gave those versus, it is His life we are living, not our own, He gets the glory!

He is the overcomer, He lives in us, which makes us the overcomer only because of Him, yet John tells us IF we abide in Him. James tells us faith without works is dead. Jesus said if you obey my commandments. These are things we do.

You are preaching the "feel good carnal" gospel, where sin is not a big deal. Yet, the Bible tells us to be holy as our Father is holy, be perfect, let us go onto perfection - that is the power of the gospel, when we are abiding in Him.

It's disturbing when so much scripture is ignored.

Reactions: Prentis