The Prophetesses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had forgotten there were so many prophetesses in the Bible. I did a search using my online Revised Standard Version and found five (Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Noadiah, and Anna), so I know there were at least that many. Do you think there are men that would have difficulty taking orders from a prophetess?

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had forgotten there were so many prophetesses in the Bible. I did a search using my online Revised Standard Version and found five (Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Noadiah, and Anna), so I know there were at least that many. Do you think there are men that would have difficulty taking orders from a prophetess?

Judges 4:4-8 KJV
4) And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
5) And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment.
6) And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Hath not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with thee ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun?
7) And I will draw unto thee to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army, with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into thine hand.
8) And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go.

Barak seemed to insist on it.

There were also Philip's four daughters.

But as far as taking orders from a prophetess, I should think the idea is that we'd be taking orders from God, given through the prophetess.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The prophetesses & other strong women have been one of the areas I’ve personally been focusing on this read through of the Old Testament. My most recent focus chapter what Miriam her disagreement with Moses over his wife. Women can indeed channel the power of God, but are fallible and can make mistakes. Just like the men of God. Neither replaces the other.

As to whether a man would have trouble taking guidance from a woman: men are just as suspectable to pride and many will have issues because of it.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judges 4:4-8 KJV
4) And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
5) And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment.
6) And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Hath not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with thee ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun?
7) And I will draw unto thee to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army, with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into thine hand.
8) And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go.

Barak seemed to insist on it.

There were also Philip's four daughters.

But as far as taking orders from a prophetess, I should think the idea is that we'd be taking orders from God, given through the prophetess.

Much love!
I would agree with your assessment.

Reactions: Nancy