The rich man and the beggar at his gate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd suggest the fixed gulf is passable now.
Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living."

That bridge is built.

he's not just the God of the Living only, but of the dead also.

PICJAG

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From post #189 above, Matthew 21:32 "For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him."

what was the very first words out of John the Baptist mouth? "REPENT".

as for cap "S" in Luke 16:25 don't hold me to this but in may cases where "s" is lower case in reference to the "Spirit" which is capitalized, is in reference to the Spirit diversified in FLESH as "spirit", lower case. but a cap "S" in Son here is interesting. I have some beliefs as to why it was but I'll hold my mouth. if you have have the knowledge of this please post it.

Thanks in advance.

PICJAG.
John 11:41 KJV
Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

Reactions: 101G

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BINGO, "SON", NOW THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF SONS. one according to the flesh, and another according to the Spirit.

the son in hell was an heir of Abraham according to the flesh. now listen, and understand 1 Corinthians 5:1 "It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife."
1 Corinthians 5:2 "And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you."
1 Corinthians 5:3 "For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,"
1 Corinthians 5:4 "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,"
1 Corinthians 5:5 "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
1 Corinthians 5:6 "Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"
1 Corinthians 5:7 "Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:"
1 Corinthians 5:8 "Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." BINGO.
1 Corinthians 5:9 "I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:"

now the son of Abraham was according to the flesh. now notice verse 5 above..... got it, now this,

now the Job connection, read verses 7 & 8 above, was not Job and his family keeping the "FEAST" days....... right there in the very first verses Job 1:1-5.

PICJAG.

Confused over 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, maybe you can help? With all of that passage but especially “And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned,

... Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Why didn’t Paul say they all were to be put out? Removed from the midst...vanity speaking lies? “Puffed up” Since they were “glorying” in the flesh instead of “afflicted and mourned” that those things included “malice and wickedness” be removed from among “yourselves”?

“But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. [12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? [13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

James 4:8-12 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. [11] Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. [12] There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Seems Paul included and extended it to encompass “put away from among yourselves that wicked person.
“But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner“

Who is or was “among yourselves that wicked person?” “Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn,”

Examine yourselves?

Reactions: Waiting on him

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Redemption is in full swing.

John 11:44 "And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go." Now this,

John 20:6 "Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,"
John 20:7 "And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself."

(smile).

PICJAG.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Redemption is in full swing.

John 11:44 "And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go." Now this,

John 20:6 "Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,"
John 20:7 "And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself."

(smile).

PICJAG.
Christ is indeed a rich man surley goodness and mercy follows Him all the days of His life

Reactions: 101G

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Confused over 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, maybe you can help? With all of that passage but especially “And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned,

... Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Why didn’t Paul say they all were to be put out? Removed from the midst...vanity speaking lies? “Puffed up” Since they were “glorying” in the flesh instead of “afflicted and mourned” that those things included “malice and wickedness” be removed from among “yourselves”?

“But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. [12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? [13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

James 4:8-12 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. [11] Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. [12] There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Seems Paul included and extended it to encompass “put away from among yourselves that wicked person.
“But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner“

Who is or was “among yourselves that wicked person?” “Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn,”

Examine yourselves?
2 Corinthians 6:14 "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
2 Corinthians 6:15 "And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?"
2 Corinthians 6:16 "And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."
2 Corinthians 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"
2 Corinthians 6:18 "And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." :eek:

PICJAG.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"for I have five brothers."

His brothers were his brothers. Seems pretty obvious.

You didn't answer the question. Did the rich man receive the “go to my brothers and warn them of this torment?”

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is indeed a rich man surley goodness and mercy follows Him all the days of His life
John 11:44-45 KJV
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. [45] Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

His brothers did believe.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 11:44-45 KJV
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. [45] Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

His brothers did believe.
Different Lazareth.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Job 30:26-31 When I looked for good, then evil came unto me : and when I waited for light, there came darkness. [27] My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me. [28] I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation. [29] I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls. [30] My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat. [31] My harp also is turned to mourning, and my organ into the voice of them that weep.

Hebrews 10:32-35 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; [33] Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. [34] For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Ephesians 2:3-4 Among whom also we all had our (former)conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. [4] But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No at all. The Lazarus that Jesus raised was not a beggar. He didn't live on the street. He lived in a house with his two sisters. All this is clearly explained in scripture.
Something else that's interesting is Jesus had two sisters as stated in scripture but their names are never mentioned.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him. you caught my attention on this "Son" capitalized, I see that it is used also in the man sick of the palsy, Matthew 9:2 "And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee."

also used in the of the prodigal son. Luke 15:30 "But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf."
Luke 15:31 "And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."
Luke 15:32 "It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found."

and also in my scripture of Matthew 21:28 "But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard."

this has interested me, and now I must go and study this. just when you think you got it, God give us more. especially Matthew 21:28, again, just when you tink you know it, one must go back and get it right fully.

again thanks for the enlightment.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him. you caught my attention on this "Son" capitalized, I see that it is used also in the man sick of the palsy, Matthew 9:2 "And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee."

also used in the of the prodigal son. Luke 15:30 "But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf."
Luke 15:31 "And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."
Luke 15:32 "It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found."

and also in my scripture of Matthew 21:28 "But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard."

this has interested me, and now I must go and study this. just when you think you got it, God give us more. especially Matthew 21:28, again, just when you tink you know it, one must go back and get it right fully.

again thanks for the enlightment.

PICJAG.
I do hope you share your findings. It definitely caught my attention when @Renniks posted it.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 30:26-31 When I looked for good, then evil came unto me : and when I waited for light, there came darkness. [27] My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me. [28] I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation. [29] I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls. [30] My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat. [31] My harp also is turned to mourning, and my organ into the voice of them that weep.

Hebrews 10:32-35 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; [33] Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. [34] For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Ephesians 2:3-4 Among whom also we all had our (former)conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. [4] But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
What does this have to do with the rich man?
You asked if he was granted his request. He wasn't.