The rich man and the beggar at his gate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part #3. The term, “certain”, for the rich man, and the term again, “certain”, for the beggar, each are representative of two types, or group of people, they all are, or was “sons”, but their characteristics, or no fruit produce, label them “Sononly in appearance, yes, “ye are gods”, made in the IMAGE of God, but die like men. so the term “Son” is as what the bible say, 2 Timothy 3:5 "Having a form of godliness, (notice the small “g” there in god-liness, as with ye are gods), but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." they denied the power of salvation, in the change of the NEW COVENANT, hence the reason why the transfiguration on the mountian, here JERSUS, and not Moses/Law, and the Prophets, for both points to JESUS. and this form will melt away and they will be distinguish from the true “sons” of God in the end time. Let them grow together, and the Lord will separate the (wheat/sons), from the tares/Sons), if they don't repent. which bring us to the parable itself,

The harvest of the world
Lazarus was not only “POOR”, in substance but in a sickness of health. Why do I say this? “Because he was laid at his, (the rich man), gate” daily, and he was full of sores. Gate here means a “DOORWAY”, it’s the Greek word, G4440 πυλών pulon (pï-lōn') n.
1. a gate-way, door-way of a building or city. take note of a. "door", and b. "city". what was Abraham and the others in Hebrews 11 looking for?
2. (by implication) a portal or vestibule.
[from G4439]
KJV: gate, porch
Root(s): G4439

Say what? Look at Definition #1. a gate-way, door-way of a building or city. To a building, or CITY. My, my, my, the new body, the building of God made in the heavens, (2 Corinthians 5:1). need we say which "city?"

THIS WAS THE EUREKA MOMENT I WAS LOOKING FOR, AND GOD GAVE IT TO me”. This open up my mind to something else I had posted about in another topic. Listen and watch for the two types of harvest of people,

Revelation 14:14 "And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle."
Revelation 14:15 "And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe."
Revelation 14:16 "And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped."
Revelation 14:17 "And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle."
Revelation 14:18 "And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe." (TAKE NOTE: THE TERM “FULLY”, Lazarus was “FULL” of sores. (He was in tribulation, "these are those that came out of tribulation", Revelation 7:14).
Revelation 14:19 "And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God."

Notice the word “ripe” here is not the same Greek word for “ripe” in verse 15 above, here it is the Greek word,
Ripe: G187 ἀκμάζω akmazo (ak-ma'-zō) v.
1. to make a point.
2. (figuratively) mature.
[accusative case of a noun acme akin to ake “a point” and meaning the same]
KJV: be fully ripe

Rip in verse 15 is G3583 ξηραίνω xeraino (xee-rai'-nō) v.
1. to make dry.
2. (bodily) to wither
3. (by implication) to waste away.
4. (of harvest) fully ripe, mature.
[from G3584]
KJV: dry up, pine away, be ripe, wither (away)
Root(s): G3584

Two different Greek words, (ripe), for two different kind of persons to be harvested, (which are alike, just like tars and the wheat), they look alike, "sons" until fully ripe.. lets see them clearly, those in churches who profess to be christian, but are not. as the Holy Ghost said, 2 Timothy 3:5 "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Matthew 3:10 "And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire”. as with the fig tree, frutless, but in the church. (As with the Sons). AND HERE THEY ARE PLAIN AS DAY, those none producer of FRUIT. not your OLD WAY of Moses and the Law, with the Prophets, but God's way by Jesus the Christ the NEW COVENANT.

Matthew 25:31- 46 bare this out in the separation of the sheep and the goats. Two types of people in the harvest, the wicked in the world, and the wicked in the churches. having a form of godliness, (ye are gods), but denying the power thereof". so we see the "types" of people being harvested first. and in this parable it was for the Jews to see their error if they did not repent and accept the Lord Jesus as their saviour, redeemer, and protector as was with the gentile beggar named Lazarus.

Conclusion: so by going back and re-reading the scriptures, we found that the the rich man, a spiritual representative of a type or group of real people, symbolized by the fact that they was not yet dead at the time he, (Jesus, God) spoke this parable. how do we know this? Listen to the scriptures, and we’ll highlight it for your edification.
Luke 16:19 "There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:"
Luke 16:20 "And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,"

was” is a past tense designation indicative of the time that the parable was spoken. So the question that was answered, Jews as well as Gentiles are required, A. repent, (BELIEVE), and B. be (baptize) in the name of JESUS for the remission of sins, to enter ETERNAL LIFE, for Jesus is the way and the DOOR/Gate to ETERNAL LIFE

by the term "WAS", which is a past tense designation, it shows why Abraham/God asked the rich man to, "REMEMBER", because this was a future event looking back

All of this came from the search of one word, “Son”. bible study is great.

Yes, the both of YOU, Waiting on him and VictoryinJesus, has been hitting all aspect to this parable, in other parts of the bible as we will bring out or has been brought out.

God bless you all.

PICJAG.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let’s understand, the term, “palsy”, and get the full teaching used of the man on the bed. it is the Greek word,
G3885 παραλυτικός paralutikos (pa-ra-lï-ti-kos') adj.
as if dissolved, i.e. “paralytic.”
[from a derivative of G3886]
KJV: that had (sick of) the palsy
Root(s): G3886

Notice how the KJV ude this word, “dissolved” which is a past tense word, as well as, how the KJV can translate the word, “that had (sick of) the palsy. Say what! … “had” … (sick of) palsy? again “had” is a past tense word. but the Lord said to him, “be” of good cheer, “be” is future tense

All three post were a blessing. Thank you. Curious because I really don’t know how to study words or break them down in an concordance. How did you get “dissolved” with “paralytic“?

Hebrews 10:34-35 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Reactions: Waiting on him

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All three post were a blessing. Thank you. Curious because I really don’t know how to study words or break them down in an concordance. How did you get “dissolved” with “paralytic“?

Hebrews 10:34-35 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
one must know the future promises, hence the reason why he gave us his Spirit, 1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."

see, we just don't know what is already done, just with the pasly. ye are forgiven, just believe.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this Parable, one need to understand that all these parables our Lord spoke of are connected. they are spiritual teaching for all mankind. just as the woman who desired the crumbs or bread from the master table, Matthew 15:26 "But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs."
or the gnashing of teeth in hell as was with the rich man, Luke 13:28 "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.", hence they was thrust out, Acts 7:54 "When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth."

or the resurrection of Lazarus. all these parables are interconnected, with a theme. the parable of the wheat and the tares... ect....

bible study is need today, so let's get back to bible study, and let the Spirit lead us to find the things of God.

PICJAG.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one must know the future promises, hence the reason why he gave us his Spirit, 1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."

see, we just don't know what is already done, just with the pasly. ye are forgiven, just believe.

PICJAG.
All of this has been very edifying. God bless.

Reactions: 101G

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice how the KJV ude this word, “dissolved” which is a past tense word, as well as, how the KJV can translate the word, “that had (sick of) the palsy. Say what! … “had” … (sick of) palsy? again “had” is a past tense word. but the Lord said to him, “be” of good cheer, “be” is future tense,

“Dissolved” which is past tense, (sick of) palsy past tense...but the Lord said to him “be” of good cheer future tense. Is major (IMO) and renewing. Refreshing. Makes me think of Paul’s “rejoice, I say it again Rejoice!” And if all we have is hope in this life we are of all men the most miserable. @Enoch111 asked how those earlier verses posted concerning job have anything to do with the topic ...Jobs substance was dissolved, yet there is a better more enduring substance at the end of job (restoration) Job 42:10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.

Luke 18:29-30 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, [30] Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Job 30:21-31 Thou art become cruel to me: with thy strong hand thou opposest thyself against me. [22] Thou liftest me up to the wind; thou causest me to ride upon it, and dissolvest my substance. [23] For I know that thou wilt bring me to death, and to the house appointed for all living. [24] Howbeit he will not stretch out his hand to the grave, though they cry in his destruction. [25] Did not I weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor? [26] When I looked for good, then evil came unto me : and when I waited for light, there came darkness. [27] My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me. [28] I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation. [29] I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls. [30] My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat. [31] My harp also is turned to mourning, and my organ into the voice of them that weep.

All three of your post line up (again just an opinion) with judgement and the day of the Lord when substance is dissolved for a better more enduring substance 1 Thessalonians 5:2-8 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. [3] For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. [4] But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. [5] Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. [6] Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. [7] For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. [8] But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

The “but let us watch and be sober” and “but let us, who are of the day, be sober, ....putting on the whole Armour Of God
Luke 11:20-22 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. [21] When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: [22] But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.
^Paul said they took joyfully the distribution of their goods, knowing in themselves to instead disrobe what does not endure and put on and trust in “the whole Armour Of God”.

“Be sober” walking in the day.

WHY DID NOT THE RICH MAN RECIEVE EVIL LIKE THE BEGGAR?”. Good question, we’ll see it, or have we seen it. (Galatians 4:29) ...... :rolleyes:
the term, “son”, It is often used metaphorically of prominent moral characteristics,, that’s the legitimacy of someone being a son/child of God vs a Son/self righteous in God.

The Holy Ghost through his apostle Paul said it best, Romans 12:3 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Dissolved” which is past tense, (sick of) palsy past tense...but the Lord said to him “be” of good cheer future tense. Is major (IMO) and renewing. Refreshing. Makes me think of Paul’s “rejoice, I say it again Rejoice!” And if all we have is hope in this life we are of all men the most miserable. @Enoch111 asked how those earlier verses posted concerning job have anything to do with the topic ...Jobs substance was dissolved, yet there is a better more enduring substance at the end of job (restoration) Job 42:10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.

Luke 18:29-30 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, [30] Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Job 30:21-31 Thou art become cruel to me: with thy strong hand thou opposest thyself against me. [22] Thou liftest me up to the wind; thou causest me to ride upon it, and dissolvest my substance. [23] For I know that thou wilt bring me to death, and to the house appointed for all living. [24] Howbeit he will not stretch out his hand to the grave, though they cry in his destruction. [25] Did not I weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor? [26] When I looked for good, then evil came unto me : and when I waited for light, there came darkness. [27] My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me. [28] I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation. [29] I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls. [30] My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat. [31] My harp also is turned to mourning, and my organ into the voice of them that weep.

All three of your post line up (again just an opinion) with judgement and the day of the Lord when substance is dissolved for a better more enduring substance 1 Thessalonians 5:2-8 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. [3] For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. [4] But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. [5] Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. [6] Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. [7] For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. [8] But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

The “but let us watch and be sober” and “but let us, who are of the day, be sober, ....putting on the whole Armour Of God
Luke 11:20-22 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. [21] When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: [22] But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.
^Paul said they took joyfully the distribution of their goods, knowing in themselves to instead disrobe what does not endure and put on and trust in “the whole Armour Of God”.

“Be sober” walking in the day.

well I was right we do have a Priscilla and Aquila.

BINGO, Job was reprove as a son, now understand as in the NT the "Sons" was keeping the feast day just as Job was, yes, Job was keeping the feast day, but as Hebrews states Hebrews 12:6 "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."

I must agree with your assessment. the "Sons" of the NEW TESTAMENT must be reprove andtrust in the LIVING God as eveyone else. for the prophet Habakkuk by the Lord said it best, 2:4 "Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith."

PICJAG.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@VictoryinJesus Very searching Scriptures there...

ourforgiveness-com

Apr 22, 2020
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another Point,
Jesus was telling the Pharisees that they can not enter the Kingdom of God by simply being rich, a Jew, and of the bloodline of Abraham. Jesus said in Matthew 19:23: “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.” he also said in John 8:37 “I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.” and Paul said in Romans 2:28-29 “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another Point,
Jesus was telling the Pharisees that they can not enter the Kingdom of God by simply being rich, a Jew, and of the bloodline of Abraham. Jesus said in Matthew 19:23: “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.” he also said in John 8:37 “I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.” and Paul said in Romans 2:28-29 “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”
Welcome to the forum.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So, Jesus made up a false view of the afterlife for no reason? Because if the dead are just in the grave, all he had to do was say that, and it would not have changed what you claim is the whole point.
ah well Scripture already says that in many places, right, so i suspect that a contemporary audience just would have heard the Lazarus story diff than us prolly. Rome introduced the concept of "afterlife" that the Jews dont have, so that kind of changes how we read i guess, we surely make assumptions that would never have occurred to them.
Plus i guess you would have been wondering if Jesus was talking about you not buying bread too, right? So iow ppl...can only hear according to their experience prolly, but you gotta admit that Jesus would also not be negating any other Scripture right

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. Rome introduced the concept of "afterlife" that the Jews dont have, so that kind of changes how we read i guess, we surely make assumptions that would never have occurred to them.
Completely and utterly not true. You should read Scripture AND Jewish history.

Look at Dan. 12:2: And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt

Read 2 Maccabees 7.... which deflates your belief.

Read the Jewish historian Josephus....he also deflates your belief.

Bible Study and Historical Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Completely and utterly not true. You should read Scripture AND Jewish history.

Look at Dan. 12:2: And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt

Read 2 Maccabees 7.... which deflates your belief.

Read the Jewish historian Josephus....he also deflates your belief.

Bible Study and Historical Mary
go with that then mary, ty

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah well Scripture already says that in many places, right, so i suspect that a contemporary audience just would have heard the Lazarus story diff than us prolly. Rome introduced the concept of "afterlife" that the Jews dont have, so that kind of changes how we read i guess, we surely make assumptions that would never have occurred to them.
Plus i guess you would have been wondering if Jesus was talking about you not buying bread too, right? So iow ppl...can only hear according to their experience prolly, but you gotta admit that Jesus would also not be negating any other Scripture right
Like the dead know nothing as @101G posted earlier?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 9:5 KJV
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Like the dead know nothing as @101G posted earlier?
ah well i had others in mind, but maybe? At that v i always wondered if "spiritually dead" was not what was intended, or else by "nothing" something diff was actually meant, "the dead know nothing that the living dont" or something along those lines, otherwise other Scripture doesnt make sense imo, Samuel post mortem, the Rich Man's speech even?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Ecclesiastes 9:5 KJV
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
I like Ecclesiastes, it used to be my favorite book even, but I’ve come to take the sayings in there with kind of a grain of salt? Like Solomon is presenting the carnal point of view most often maybe?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
go with that then mary, ty
I would rather go with what Scripture says and historical fact than your OPINIONS any day.

Spreading the truth and not opinions.....Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I would rather go with what Scripture says and historical fact than your OPINIONS any day.

Sorry I got cut off before; so you could append my post with “afterlife of the soul” Which is basically where you’re trying to get, right
ha, youre a legend in your own mind i guess huh

Last edited: