The role of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Acts 8:9
Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
well, there you go, see.
Now you can believe the Spirit is a person who converses with other people all you like, right?
And i have been proven wrong again, so double bonus! woo-hoo!

oh; only that isn't Acts 8:9, and it is in English, so hmm let's see...manana, gotta run for now

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, there you go, see.
Now you can believe the Spirit is a person who converses with other people all you like, right?
And i have been proven wrong again, so double bonus! woo-hoo!

oh; only that isn't Acts 8:9, and it is in English, so hmm let's see...
Well the Holy Spirit told me to tell you to quit being a scoffer and He will speak directly to you as well! :p

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the Holy Spirit told me to tell you to quit being a scoffer and He will speak directly to you as well! :p
Okay that didn't really happen I was expecting a rebuttal...lol. But in all seriousness the Holy Spirit will speak to you when you allow Him to...God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Okay that didn't really happen I was expecting a rebuttal...lol. But in all seriousness the Holy Spirit will speak to you when you allow Him to...God Bless!
wadr i am not scoffing at the notion that the HS might "speak," so to speak, nor that we might "hear" the Spirit either.

I won't ask you for a "witness" to the v--i asked for a single one on purpose--and dialectics almost demands that there be a (single) v somewhere to the effect "he said to the HS" too i guess. I'll look for that tonight.

Tomorrow i'll be asking about this "the Holy Spirit cannot speak except what It hears" ok? And we'll maybe figger out which one is lying to us :)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wadr i am not scoffing at the notion that the HS might "speak," so to speak, nor that we might "hear" the Spirit either.

I won't ask you for a "witness" to the v--i asked for a single one on purpose--and dialectics almost demands that there be a (single) v somewhere to the effect "he said to the HS" too i guess. I'll look for that tonight.

Tomorrow i'll be asking about this "the Holy Spirit cannot speak except what It hears" ok? And we'll maybe figger out which one is lying to us :)
;)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
but i guess i better state my pos more clearly, your spirit speaks volumes when you enter a room, and we even have a thing where we ask people questions and don't even listen to the reply bc we don't care about that part; and anthrpomorphising...phizing? whatever, is something we are known to do in a certain way, and Scripture even does it too, only a totally different way, which a little reflection will reveal the diff. i hope
What is the difference in the way we anthropomorphize v the Way--pretty much gotta say It like that i guess--Scripture does it?
i'm not fresh enough to even attempt an answer right now
and you might seek a Witness for your v

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
um, sorry?

the question was "Can you find a single verse indicating a conversation between the Holy Spirit and a person,
one single snip either direction, 'The HS said _______ to him,' or 'he replied _______ to the HS.'

which i guess you are not going to answer, i guess?
i only restate it again bc the problems communicating it the first time, by your indication
(the answer to your Q is "yes" imo, just so you don't feel as though you were being jerked off too)

Surely Mark
If The Holy Spirit is sent as a Comforter and a Teacher as Jesus says ...then He must have a voice.
And I'd almost go as far as to say that I doubt any of us have heard any other voice since the day we were converted!! He is the speaker.

...th2cents.gif

Reactions: Heart2Soul

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Surely Mark
If The Holy Spirit is sent as a Comforter and a Teacher as Jesus says ...then He must have a voice.
And I'd almost go as far as to say that I doubt any of us have heard any other voice since the day we were converted!! He is the speaker.

...View attachment 3766
"Who" has no voice of His own, yes. Meaning there is no Who, other than the same who that ppl might ask you a question and not care about the literal answer to, to get a read on.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This is Roman yack instituted to include pagans, and we are just complacent with it bc we have heard it from the cradle. It also warps the role of Christ, and begs Nehushtan worship instead of followers. Anthropomorphizing God in any fashion is condemned in Scripture, in fact, and "God in three persons" is a satanic lie that directly contradicts My ways are not your ways. There are no persons there, such as we define that term, and it is actually blasphemy to say that there is.
God is One

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
ah, and you better believe your Bibles are scribed for max effect, too, just like It says will happen.
Scribes have cooperated in forwarding this false belief, adding Mary worship to it, etc.
Even got ol' Ishtar in lol

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps the whole problem here is our understanding or lack of understanding exactly what or who God is. [How much do we have to know? How much do we have to believe? How much knowledge and how much faith?]

Insisting on dividing Him into three parts or persons or coequal entities in itself causes a problem... a lack of understanding as I see it. For me the Holy Spirit is understood better simply as what men commonly call the Father, or God, or God the Father. Is not God a Spirit and is He not Holy [set apart]? So then why do we insist on two there, the Father and the Holy Spirit, instead of simply taking only what each of us understands from that without bending or turning corners or twisting to find what someone says they found centuries ago? I have never found it!

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" Deut 6:4

"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:" Mark 12:29

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one." Gal 3:20

Only in the NT because of the wording of few verses does there seem to be a problem. I could provide an explanation for these and so could others but we know or should know that arguments on those points have been covered hundreds of times over the centuries by many people and they are not likely to change anyone's point of view so easily now.

For the Holy Spirit, called a He [the Father] or an It [a special extension or arm or administration of the Father] is a reality [to me anyway]. The verses I quoted above and others make it clear to most, if not all, of us that there is One God. Why insist on something more because it seems to fit one theory [the one you hold as your own, perhaps?] rather than because it really makes a difference to where we are or want to be in God? Anywhere here is where I am on it:

The functioning of the Holy Spirit [whatever it or he is] as I see it is the way that God brings His Word to Life in people. We eat the flesh of Jesus [read or hear the scriptures] and the Holy Spirit in us quickens that raw dead flesh so that it becomes the Word of God. The Holy Spirit is effectively the Blood of Jesus:

"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:5-6

The letter is the Bible itself, the dead carcass, the raw flesh of Jesus still dead as it was on the cross without blood.

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53

We read it thus consuming it [the flesh of Jesus who is the Word] but for a man without the Holy Spirit in him it remains at best only wise words, something like the Code of Hammurabi, if that. When however it is quickened [brought to Life] in us by the Holy Spirit then it is written on our hearts as the Living Word of God. It does not come to Life simply because we want it to but rather because God in us, or the Blood of Jesus, or the Holy Spirit, is using what we have and where we are and how surrendered we are to Him to accomplish His purpose in us and/or with us.

I know that this flies in the face of many people because it interferes with their unrelenting attachment to the doctrine of a Trinity. I don't say there is no Trinity, but the Bible certainly does not read anywhere that failure to believe in the Trinity will result in death or no salvation. Some trinitarians concede that. Others do not.

It is nonetheless a part of my vision at present. The vision has changed in the past for each of us as we grow in God.

We really must have a vision, a vision that is improving from "as through a glass darkly" to "face to face".

"Where there is no vision, the people perish... " Prov 29:18

Some now may want to bombard me with their pet trinitarian proof texts as if suddenly I will be changed by their renewed presentation of something I have seen and read in the past more times than I can remember. It is not as simple as that. Only God gives the increase.

Give God the glory!

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@amadeus @bbyrd009

Perhaps the whole problem here is our understanding or lack of understanding exactly what or who God is. [How much do we have to know? How much do we have to believe? How much knowledge and how much faith?]

This is Roman yack instituted to include pagans, and we are just complacent with it bc we have heard it from the cradle. It also warps the role of Christ, and begs Nehushtan worship instead of followers. Anthropomorphizing God in any fashion is condemned in Scripture, in fact, and "God in three persons" is a satanic lie that directly contradicts My ways are not your ways. There are no persons there, such as we define that term, and it is actually blasphemy to say that there is.
God is One

These are both posts that I will have to come back to and muse over.
There is too much here for me to absorb in just one read...I have to let it all sink in.
I am bookmarking this page so I can come back after praying over it.

I like others have been brainwash that God is like an egg in three parts ..Shell , white and yolk. And the man that He made..Body, soul, spirit.
I thought that was how He made man in His image and likeness????
So how do I make three into two?

I do believe that it is always the Holy Spirit who speaks to us ...He drew us, He speaks to us, He teaches us. He leads us...

I am finding that the older I get...the less I can say that I know anything.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus @bbyrd009

These are both posts that I will have to come back to and muse over.
There is too much here for me to absorb in just one read...I have to let it all sink in.
I am bookmarking this page so I can come back after praying over it.

I like others have been brainwash that God is like an egg in three parts ..Shell , white and yolk. And the man that He made..Body, soul, spirit.
I thought that was how He made man in His image and likeness????
So how do I make three into two?

I do believe that it is always the Holy Spirit who speaks to us ...He drew us, He speaks to us, He teaches us. He leads us...

I am finding that the older I get...the less I can say that I know anything.

Sometimes Helen all we can do is put it on a shelf and wait on God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
note that the same might be said of your spirit too, right; does that mean it gets a separate birthday, or what? :)
i mean don't get me wrong, it is a useful perspective for certain applications i guess, but there is no separate entity called "Holy Spirit" that is apart from God, right; the Spirit is merely personified in Scripture for purposes of illumination and contrast with ours? Plus i bet scribes have a lot to do with the pov anyway

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i guess there is a commentary here on Trinity and other man-made doctrines as well. It isn't really what or how the faithful perceive the doctrine, as it is sold to them; it is more about how the doctrine is put into practice by the wolves who run our establishment "churches." Which are of course not really churches at all, there is only one Church/Bride right

Reactions: Helen and amadeus