The role of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we have an abnormal fear of Him it will prevent us drawing near to Him. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to help us not to await our failures.

He has chastened and scourged me sore and I know what God is capable of. We, like Jesus, learn obedience through the things we suffer.

But He is my constant friend and near companion which is what He wants from us. No father wants his child to shrink away in terror.

It takes a long time to get to know more about Him. Any relationship takes time. You don't grow close to a person in a short while neither God. It takes years of interaction. He knows what to expect from us but we have to learn what He is expecting from us.

Job 33:7 KJVS
Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, neither shall my hand be heavy upon thee.

Frank I don't understand where you are getting that I have an abnormal fear of Him.....I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Him....He has been my teacher and guide into all wisdom and truth since I was 24 years old....He uses me in the gift of prophesy and discernment......word of wisdom and word of knowledge...…...actually in just any way He needs me I am His vessel, His humble servant.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with questioning solidly fixed beliefs. I just occasionally have a problem getting a solid fix on what in the world he's trying to say, LoL.
Yes, I understand perfectly. Early on many of his acronyms, if you can call them that, were very confusing, but after a while the more common became known to me. I still do a google check on some of them for clarification. A little trouble, but sometimes worth the trouble.

Reactions: Nancy

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that God gives is "very good" and is most certainly needed by the anyone for which it was intended.

We are to NOT believe every spirit but test them, but apparently, you seem to think every spirit that comes over you is the Holy Spirit. And I am saying God the Father has given you something good... at your salvation so that you would never ask for the Holy Spirit again.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years, nay decades ago the Holy Spirit asked me to go out on the streets of Hot Springs during the horse racing season on Saturday night to witness. I was hesitant and like Moses or Samson needed additional encouragement so He gave me a dream.

In this dream there was a wooden frame ten feet long, five feet wide and about that high. I realized it was the testimony of Jesus and that by the shape of it I could not carry it. It was not heavy at all for his yoke is easy and light. As I stood in that dream looking at the frame wondering how to do it the Holy Spirit spoke to me.

"you're not able to carry this alone so you pick up one end and I the other and together we'll carry this off"!

It was such a wonderful picture of how God works with men to carry the gospel to others. His anointing equips us to go forward with the message of the cross.

Sometimes I refer to Him in my prayers as "Holy Spirit of the frame". Is He offended or grieved by my familiar address? Not in the least for He knows my heart and the worshipful meaning I have toward Him in all my speeches. I can look up from whatever I'm doing, even right now, and sense, discern the wonderful sweetness of His presence.

He wants us to draw near. If we are not near we can't hear well when He speaks

He promised He would never leave us or forsake us so I know it is so.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear H2S

Years, nay decades ago the Holy Spirit asked me to go out on the streets of Hot Springs during the horse racing season on Saturday night to witness. I was hesitant and like Moses or Samson needed additional encouragement so He gave me a dream.

In this dream there was a wooden frame ten feet long, five feet wide and about that high. I realized it was the testimony of Jesus and that by the shape of it I could not carry it. It was not heavy at all for his yoke is easy and light. As I stood in that dream looking at the frame wondering how to do it the Holy Spirit spoke to me.

"you're not able to carry this alone do you pick up one end and I the other and together we'll carry this off"!

It was such a wonderful picture of how God works with men to carry the gospel to others. His anointing equips us to go forward with the message of the cross.

Sometimes I refer to Him in my prayers as "Holy Spirit of the frame". Is He offended or grieved by my familiar address? Not in the leat for He knows my heart and the worshipful meaning have toward Him in all my speeches. I can look up from whatever I'm doing, even right now, and sense, discern the wonderful sweetness of His presence.

He promised He would never leave us or forsake us so I know it is so.

Okay, I see what you are doing.....well this is not how I interpret that scripture about the grieving the Holy Spirit to mean.....If we cannot grieve Him then why is it in His Word telling us not to grieve Him? I know at times I have unintentionally grieved Him when I harbor anger towards someone and say mean things that I regret later....hurting others....I know He is grieved because I get a heavy spirit and then I go and pray, repent ask forgiveness and then pray for the opportunity to seek this person out and apologize.....

Nice dream by the way.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I see what you are doing.....well this is not how I interpret that scripture about the grieving the Holy Spirit to mean.....If we cannot grieve Him then why is it in His Word telling us not to grieve Him? I know at times I have unintentionally grieved Him when I harbor anger towards someone and say mean things that I regret later....hurting others....I know He is grieved because I get a heavy spirit and then I go and pray, repent ask forgiveness and then pray for the opportunity to seek this person out and apologize.....

Nice dream by the way.

I hate the internet because we can't sit down and speak face to face. Misunderstandings arise from our lack of clear communication.

Learning self discipline is the hardest task we face. We don't realize how unruly we are until we are shown. Because of how I was treated by my father it took forever, decades, for me to really believe God was for me. I simply didn't trust Him. Even though I'd been born again and had an in filling of the Holy Spirit I still had to learn to trust Him.

Of course He knew all this before I was even saved. Until He teaches us how to control ourselves we will grieve Him in word and deed. His mercy sees this and 1john 1:9 gets very much use.

.. The sin which so easily besets us...it's obvious that The writer is lamenting his own sin failures. We're all made of the same dust and subject to failures. As long as we maintain a repentant heart there is grace for us.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we have an abnormal fear of Him it will prevent us drawing near to Him. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to help us not to await our failures.

He has chastened and scourged me sore and I know what God is capable of. We, like Jesus, learn obedience through the things we suffer.

But He is my constant friend and near companion which is what He wants from us. No father wants his child to shrink away in terror.

It takes a long time to get to know more about Him. Any relationship takes time. You don't grow close to a person in a short while neither God. It takes years of interaction. He knows what to expect from us but we have to learn what He is expecting from us.

Job 33:7 KJVS
Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, neither shall my hand be heavy upon thee.
Good post, great scripture!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Spirit can say nothing of Itself, so why would i do that?
ty
Because He is the Spirit of Truth and He is the one who convicts our heart of wrongdoing....so He doesn't want us to be ignorant in our sins....and what is it that grieves the Holy Spirit our sins...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Because He is the Spirit of Truth and He is the one who convicts our heart of wrongdoing....so He doesn't want us to be ignorant in our sins....and what is it that grieves the Holy Spirit our sins...
that does not answer the question though, but ty anyway ok?

there is no "ask the Holy Spirit" in Scripture wadr; you cannot Quote one instance of this, nor of the HS telling anyone anything. Can you?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that does not answer the question though, but ty anyway ok?

there is no "ask the Holy Spirit" in Scripture wadr; you cannot Quote one instance of this, nor of the HS telling anyone anything. Can you?
I don't know what your foundation and experience is with the Holy Spirit but if He is going to manifest His power through me or others in the gifts then we better be knowing His leading and His voice....and He speaks....There are scriptures about the Holy Spirit teaching us and guiding us into all truth and knowledge of God.....
2 Samuel 23:2
2 The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

John 16:14
13However, when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come.

so these 2 scriptures definitely talk about Him speaking

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so these 2 scriptures definitely talk about Him speaking
yet my post has not been violated, see; you cannot Quote any instance of anyone asking the Holy Spirit anything, and you cannot Quote an instance of the HS saying anything to a person.

Yes, the Spirit "speaks," from a certain pov, but not a literal one; with all due respect.
Or if you can find an instance--i mean a single one, too--then we can go from there.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yet my post has not been violated, see; you cannot Quote any instance of anyone asking the Holy Spirit anything, and you cannot Quote an instance of the HS saying anything to a person.

Yes, the Spirit "speaks," from a certain pov, but not a literal one; with all due respect.
Or if you can find an instance--i mean a single one, too--then we can go from there.
I am so sorry I guess I just don't comprehend what exactly you are seeking...speaking is speaking....whether it is in the flesh or in the spirit it is communication between the speaker and the hearer.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
speaking is speaking....whether it is in the flesh or in the spirit it is communication between the speaker and the hearer.
we have a saying, "________ speaks volumes," wherein the "speaker" is invariably an inanimate object or action done by someone who is not speaking with their mouth at all. So imo it is in fact not like a conversation, even if i agree it is a communication, yes.

"that speaks volumes" is also a communication, right?
unless there was no hearer of course

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we have a saying, "________ speaks volumes," wherein the "speaker" is invariably an inanimate object or action done by someone who is not speaking with their mouth at all. So imo it is in fact not like a conversation, even if i agree it is a communication, yes.

"that speaks volumes" is also a communication, right?
unless there was no hearer of course
I am just laughing (not in a mocking way) because you are going to get tangled here....conversation vs communication.....

In saying this it totally implies we need to get rid of every scripture that talks about hearing from God...IMHO.....This entire human body was created by the unseen spirit of God....and so which is more real....the creator or the creation.....that is the question....peace out!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In saying this it totally implies we need to get rid of every scripture that talks about hearing from God
why do you say this?
1) we were talking about conversing with the HS, and now you have changed the subject, to hearing from God
2) he who has ears, let him hear implies--to me anyway--that even then, he who does not, cannot, right?
I am just laughing (not in a mocking way) because you are going to get tangled here....conversation vs communication..
getting late, could you do me the favor of tangling me right now, if you would? ty

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
.This entire human body was created by the unseen spirit of God....and so which is more real....the creator or the creation.....that is the question.
um, sorry?

the question was "Can you find a single verse indicating a conversation between the Holy Spirit and a person,
one single snip either direction, 'The HS said _______ to him,' or 'he replied _______ to the HS.'

which i guess you are not going to answer, i guess?
i only restate it again bc the problems communicating it the first time, by your indication
(the answer to your Q is "yes" imo, just so you don't feel as though you were being jerked off too)

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um, sorry?

the question was "Can you find a single verse indicating a conversation between the Holy Spirit and a person,
one single snip either direction, 'The HS said _______ to him,' or 'he replied _______ to the HS.'

which i guess you are not going to answer, i guess?
i only restate it again bc the problems communicating it the first time, by your indication
(the answer to your Q is "yes" imo, just so you don't feel as though you were being jerked off too)

Acts 8:9
Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ” (Acts 21:11, ESV)

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Rev 2:2, ESV)

Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice (Heb 3:7)

Two final examples both concern Paul. While in Antioch, we learn about prophets in the church in that city. Of these prophets, Scripture records: “As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.’” (Acts 13:2-3). Here the Spirit identifies men by name—“Barnabas and Saul.” Here the Holy Spirit commands their appointment for a specific work. These are words which were spoken, recorded, and understandable. A final example, echoes what would be declared by Agabus. Paul relates: “And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me” (Acts 20:22-23). Here, once again, the Spirit uses clear words declaring that “chains” and “tribulations” await Paul. This was clearly not strong feeling, it was communication which could be recorded, written down, and clearly understood.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness