The role of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...the Gospel emphasizes that the Holy Spirit, as Parakletos [paravklhto"], is "sent" from the Father."
The bible shows me that the Holy Spirit has several roles- John 14:15-27, John 16:5-15, Romans 8:1-17, Galatians 5:16-26. Do you believe that the Holy Spirit must first "woo" us into the Truth before we could come to faith in Christ? Is His Spirit poured out on ALL people? If not, do you a have a scripture to prove it true or false?
If one were to choose His most important role-in our lives, as believers, what would you pick? :) Feel free to give an opinion on one or all of these questions...just curious where everybody stands on the issue of The Holy Spirit...one more thing, I hope nobody here will refer to God's H.S. as an "it"...He's a person! Lol...kk ♥
-nancy

Reactions: Mayflower

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you believe that the Holy Spirit must first "woo" us into the Truth before we could come to faith in Christ?
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev 22:17)
Is His Spirit poured out on ALL people?
Only potentially. There are conditions to be met.
f not, do you a have a scripture to prove it true or false?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)
If one were to choose His most important role-in our lives, as believers, what would you pick?
All His roles are important and interconnected, so picking one would not be wise.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that the Holy Spirit must first "woo" us into the Truth before we could come to faith in Christ?
The Spirit testifies of God's Truth-- such a testimony which is part of the foundation of faith. I don't really like the word "woo"....
Is His Spirit poured out on ALL people?
Yes, to a base level. As a person hears with ears to hear more, that bond is increasingly strengthened.
If one were to choose His most important role-in our lives, as believers, what would you pick? :)
Oh, that's not nice to make me pick!
I hope nobody here will refer to God's H.S. as an "it"...He's a person!
AMEN!

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit testifies of God's Truth-- such a testimony which is part of the foundation of faith. I don't really like the word "woo"....

Yes, to a base level. As a person hears with ears to hear more, that bond is increasingly strengthened.

Oh, that's not nice to make me pick!

AMEN!
"Oh, that's not nice to make me pick!" Hahaha!
I'm waiting for a certain answer, and yes of course they are all awesome!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my gosh...the most important thing He does in my life? He is still so mysterious I can barely even speak about Him...I guess I would currently say its that He somehow gives me the right verses at the right time, recalling them to my mind when I am in need of them. I'm extremely forgetful and remembering is not easy for me. Its easier to begin to worry and fret, like it's what I default back to naturally. I need to be constantly reminded to trust instead of wigging out.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh my gosh...the most important thing He does in my life? He is still so mysterious I can barely even speak about Him...I guess I would currently say its that He somehow gives me the right verses at the right time, recalling them to my mind when I am in need of them. I'm extremely forgetful and remembering is not easy for me. Its easier to begin to worry and fret, like it's what I default back to naturally. I need to be constantly reminded to trust instead of wigging out.

Good post.

I agree...He nudges us to move and do something in His name.
He gives us an inner witness about situations.
He also gives us a 'check in our spirit'...when things are "off" and not of Him.
He leads, guides and teaches... and so much more....

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had another thought. I go out in the world every day, amid all of the demands on me, and I tend to lose an awareness of the temporariness of it all. I begin to be pulled back into all of the misery and insufficiency of it all and am tugged into magnifying molehills and losing my peace in Him

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, that seems pretty important to me! :) Welcome to the site @stunnedbygrace !

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one were to choose His most important role-in our lives, as believers, what would you pick?

Teacher (John 16:13).
Is His Spirit poured out on ALL people? If not, do you a have a scripture to prove it true or false?

Poured out? No. Now scripture says He is not far from any of us (Acts 17:27), but poured out upon everyone, that's a different story. Scripture does say He will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh during the end-times (Joel 2:28), but there the context makes it clear He is referring to believers of all age groups, from the very young to the very old, and upon both genders and not just men.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Teacher (John 16:13).

Poured out? No. Now scripture says He is not far from any of us (Acts 17:27), but poured out upon everyone, that's a different story. Scripture does say He will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh during the end-times (Joel 2:28), but there the context makes it clear He is referring to believers of all age groups, from the very young to the very old, and upon both genders and not just men.

Thank you H.I.H.
I am curious as to why God would pour out His Holy Spirit upon all flesh, if they are already believers and have the Holy Spirit living within them? :)

Reactions: Mayflower

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you H.I.H.
I am curious as to why God would pour out His Holy Spirit upon all flesh, if they are already believers and have the Holy Spirit living within them? :)

You have been listening too much to JIF. :D

I have known since your OP post that that was why you started this thread..therefore I "side stepped it" deliberately .

If some want to believe that Act 19 1-6 is not in the bible, they are free to. The things of the Holy Spirit are too precious to me to get into arguments about.
Non-believers in His work and power and quickening are free to remain so. No sweat. :)

Acts 19
"And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. ( water)
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. "

And yes, the Holy Spirit can and does pray through His people in other tongues in intercession and worship.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And yes, the Holy Spirit can and does pray through His people in other tongues in antirecessionary and worship.

Oh hahaha!! Didn't you get a good laugh out of my word <antirecessionary> LOL
Hummm a wee bit too quick to post that without re-reading it!! So much for auto-spell. :D

= intercessory