The Sermon on The Mount - it's purpose and it's place

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm of the first opinion. I think the Sermon on the Mount applies to the church today.

Think about it.

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."

These are promises for the future but I feel like the blessing starts now.

Also, if it were for a future kingdom only, I feel like there'd be less of a purpose for Jesus, sharing it on a mount with the people at that time.

I and @Mayflower are memorizing the Sermon on the Mount. Thank you for this discussion!
memorize it my dear sister . and let it be planted upon our hearts and in our minds . Every Word of JESUS is truly for our good .

Reactions: Wynona

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Matthew chapters 5-7) Its structure

A. 5:3-16:- Reward.
.. B. 5:17-18:- The Law and the Prophets.
.... C. 5:19-20:- Entry into the Kingdom.
...... D. 5:21-44:- But I say unto you.
........ E 5:45-48:- The Perfect.

A . 6:1-7:11:- Reward.
.. B. 7:12:-The Law and the Prophets.
.... C. 7:13-23:- Entry into the Kingdom.
...... D. 7:13-23:- These sayings of Mine.
........ E. 7:24:- The Wise

Hello there,

There are varying views held as to the place and purpose of the Sermon on the Mount, but they can be reduced to two headings:-

1) The Sermon on the Mount is the great outline of Christian practice and applies to the Church today.
2) The Sermon on the Mount does not apply to the church of today, but constitutes the laws of the Kingdom which is yet to be set up on the earth.

Q) Which of these opinions do you hold, and why?
Q) Is there yet another view you can share?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Give me some time here. Falling asleep, but want to think about it. I don't know. Initially I would say number one.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Wynona,

Thank you for your input. :)

* It is strange that it is only recorded in the gospel of Matthew, isn't it? and not referred to in the epistles: if it were meant for the Church?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Matthew was to show one side of Jesus, it represents him as a king. The other gospels represent and show other sides to Jesus. Mark: suffering servant , Luke : His humanity and John : Son of God.

I must admit I have a hard time believing that none of these words were meant for the Gods people today, the epistles talk about attitudes, and how we act , how we speak and how we should develop the relationships with each other and Jesus ……….
Personally I think the sermon was a levelling the ground so to speak….the religious leaders thought they were so righteous and way above the common person. Jesus sermon showed them that motives, attitudes ect were so relevant …….and would be something that was just as relevant in His kingdom.
Obviously there is much more to the sermon , but that’s one of the aspects I pulled from it….and class it as an important sermon to everyone. It’s timeless x

I actually believe I am ‘ In His Kingdom ‘ already x
Each time someone comes to faith His Kingdom grows ……..He is my King x