"The Sin Of The World"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still lack an answer to the question, "Would God have forgiven Adam and Eve if they had repented?"

It seems to me that they did die spiritually immediately after eating the fruit. Their bodies were still alive, but they had died spiritually. Maybe God could have forgiven them at that point; but then they lied to God, or at least failed to tell the truth simply. They tried to deceive God just as Saul did when he lied and when Ananias and Sapphira lied. If the Holy Spirit is in someone, and you lie to that person, you are in effect also lying to God too.

Adam and Eve did not lie to another person; they lied directly to God. The Holy Spirit fled from them -- they had condemned themselves. They had the Spirit themselves, they knew better or should have. It is spiritual insanity to believe we can lie to God. Maybe God could forgive that sin if the person who committed it was sane enough to repent; but he's insane spiritually in a way. He's driven God away and filled himself with some deceiving spirit.

I am left believing they could have been forgiven since we are told God always is willing to forgive us when we repent; but something had happened to them that tempted them to be dishonest with God. I think it was more than "eating" the fruit that sealed their fate. That could have been forgiven. The curse of death could have been removed. It was not what went into them that defiled them but what came out. When lying words came out of them, their defilement was final.

Mark 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

I'm sure the Lord forgave them, but what happened to them would require a death to fix. A sacrifice for the remission of sin and death to the fallen man nature.

Reactions: marks

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure the Lord forgave them, but what happened to them would require a death to fix. A sacrifice for the remission of sin and death to the fallen man nature.
The remedy for sin already existed in the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, no?

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's you and me talking, but your hermeneutics in the hands of incompetent exegetes leads to such idiocracies. I'm am saying stay away from personal and subjective shadowing and typologies. Let the inspired writers interpret and correlate such verses.
Yes, of course. Something is a type in Scripture if Scripture says it is a type. Going too far into a type that's not a type is like Sisera crawling into Jael's tent, it may feel like refuge, but you'll end up with a tent stake through your head!

Much love!

:p

Reactions: DNB

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, obviously guilt and condemnation as it states, not depravity and wretchedness. How can eating a fruit change one's constitution as such? God did not plant a tree that subverted man's mind, He doesn't have the capability nor the nefarious purpose to do so.
It sure seems to me from these passages in Romans 5 that this is exactly what happened, and when later we read that Adam had a son in his own image, that this was no longer the exact image of God.

by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation

We are all condemned for Adam's offence, isn't that what this says? How is this so? We aren't responsible for what he did. But then, condemnation, katakrino, is not always about punishment for crime, it's also rejection unto destruction, or dishonor.

I don't think we need to infer nefarious intent.

The tree of life, I think it was God's intent that man might eat from it. Have you wondered why he hadn't? Perhaps no ripe fruit yet? I don't know. But he hadn't.

Perhaps God's intent was that in the due process of time, man would be permitted to eat and gain that knowledge. I don't know.

Perhaps God's intent was that man grow in relationship with Himself, and at the right time, in the right way, God would give Adam that knowledge. Again, I don't know, only that this need not have been some "evil scheme".

Perhaps God knew that when man elected to go his own way, that he would need something to give him direction, even knowing that direction would prove the undoing of every man that would ever live, save One, the Last Adam, the Second Man.

There are two men, Adam, and Christ. Adam is a type of Him Who was to come. In Christ, we are made alive, because in Adam, we died.

All died, and all are rejected, save those in Christ.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, from the beginning of time men have followed after the spirit in one manner or another. They have missed the target in countless efforts, but clearly displayed that the spirit is alive and kicking in man. Even the atheists have performed acts of altruism and charity, love their children, friends and families. The Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc, all clearly have written words of wisdom, doxologies, praise to God, love for man and one another, inspirations that come from the spirit (image of God), and yet, these all are not eligible for the Holy Spirit (not born again).
You're missing the elephant in the room.
Even sinners love their own.

There are many reasons people do things, and that which is not of faith is sin.

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, of course. Something is a type in Scripture if Scripture says it is a type. Going too far into a type that's not a type is like Sisera crawling into Jael's tent, it may feel like refuge, but you'll end up with a tent stake through your head!

Much love!

:p
I would agree.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It sure seems to me from these passages in Romans 5 that this is exactly what happened, and when later we read that Adam had a son in his own image, that this was no longer the exact image of God.

by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation

We are all condemned for Adam's offence, isn't that what this says? How is this so? We aren't responsible for what he did. But then, condemnation, katakrino, is not always about punishment for crime, it's also rejection unto destruction, or dishonor.

I don't think we need to infer nefarious intent.

The tree of life, I think it was God's intent that man might eat from it. Have you wondered why he hadn't? Perhaps no ripe fruit yet? I don't know. But he hadn't.

Perhaps God's intent was that in the due process of time, man would be permitted to eat and gain that knowledge. I don't know.

Perhaps God's intent was that man grow in relationship with Himself, and at the right time, in the right way, God would give Adam that knowledge. Again, I don't know, only that this need not have been some "evil scheme".

Perhaps God knew that when man elected to go his own way, that he would need something to give him direction, even knowing that direction would prove the undoing of every man that would ever live, save One, the Last Adam, the Second Man.

There are two men, Adam, and Christ. Adam is a type of Him Who was to come. In Christ, we are made alive, because in Adam, we died.

All died, and all are rejected, save those in Christ.

Much love!
are we talking about 2 different things? Man is not a fallen creature, condemned yes, but not depraved. David was a man after God's own heart, and yet he committed some unimaginable and deplorable acts, some might say acts of depravity. What was he, depraved from a fallen nature, or a man after God's own heart?
You keep referring to the fact that all men are guilty, guilty is not inherently corrupt. And even then, Paul speaks of the perceived injustice of God for condemning all men for the sin of one. And, in order to justify it, he must juxtapose the grace that followed against such an austere decision, not exonerate God by defining man's indelible wickedness.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Even sinners love their own.

There are many reasons people do things, and that which is not of faith is sin.

Much love!
The point is, if even people without the aid of the Holy Spirit can love another, then clearly humanity does not have a fallen nature.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is, if even people without the aid of the Holy Spirit can love another, then clearly humanity does not have a fallen nature.
I think what we have is a corrupted flesh.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are we talking about 2 different things? Man is not a fallen creature, condemned yes, but not depraved. David was a man after God's own heart, and yet he committed some unimaginable and deplorable acts, some might say acts of depravity. What was he, depraved from a fallen nature, or a man after God's own heart?
You keep referring to the fact that all men are guilty, guilty is not inherently corrupt. And even then, Paul speaks of the perceived injustice of God for condemning all men for the sin of one. And, in order to justify it, he must juxtapose the grace that followed against such an austere decision, not exonerate God by defining man's indelible wickedness.
"a man after God's own heart"

I think many understand that to mean, David's heart was like God's heart. I don't think that's correct, rather, it refers to the fact that unlike Saul, David was the sort of man God wanted for their king.

You are right to point out we're talking about 2 things, condemned, and depraved.

You speak of 'an austere decision', do you mean before or after the fact? That is, was it God's decision to condemn all humanity for Adam's sin, or was there some certain inherant condition that caused that result?

I don't think that everyone being condemned was a judicial act as much as a natural consequence.

"If by the offence of one, many be dead", why are they dead?

"All men die because all men sin." If my sin is the reason for my death, then how is it by Adam's offence?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what kind of love?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't a clue what you're trying to differentiate between?
Physiological damage to our bodies and brains resulting in a lack of spiritual connection to God, and a resultant "moral insanity", as opposed to a mystical force of some sort that pushes us to sin, that I think most people mean by "fallen nature".

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"a man after God's own heart"

I think many understand that to mean, David's heart was like God's heart. I don't think that's correct, rather, it refers to the fact that unlike Saul, David was the sort of man God wanted for their king.

You are right to point out we're talking about 2 things, condemned, and depraved.

You speak of 'an austere decision', do you mean before or after the fact? That is, was it God's decision to condemn all humanity for Adam's sin, or was there some certain inherant condition that caused that result?

I don't think that everyone being condemned was a judicial act as much as a natural consequence.

"If by the offence of one, many be dead", why are they dead?

"All men die because all men sin." If my sin is the reason for my death, then how is it by Adam's offence?

Much love!
Why did Paul entertain the fact that it appeared unjust? Clearly it was a judicial decision. Plus it explicitly and emphatically states that it was a decision by God, ...in order that God may show His mercy to all men.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter, they are not totally depraved.

Depraved isn't actually Scriptural terminology, and may not really be expressing the right thing. Scripture uses the terminology of being dead.

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Physiological damage to our bodies and brains resulting in a lack of spiritual connection to God, and a resultant "moral insanity", as opposed to a mystical force of some sort that pushes us to sin, that I think most people mean by "fallen nature".

Much love!
No, Adam & Eve disobeyed God while in their 'pure' state. Sin occurred both before an after the fall.
The way that you speak, sin should increase exponentially then, till the point that there's no goodness left. And yet, the monarchs of Israel & Judah were arbitrarily good and bad. Brain damage did not occur.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Paul entertain the fact that it appeared unjust? Clearly it was a judicial decision. Plus it explicitly and emphatically states that it was a decision by God, ...in order that God may show His mercy to all men.
Where to you seen an expression of perceived injustice? Would you pinpoint that in the passage for me?

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Depraved isn't actually Scriptural terminology, and may not really be expressing the right thing. Scripture uses the terminology of being dead.

Much love!
...as in eternal death - Lake of Fire. Not dead in heart.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Adam & Eve disobeyed God while in their 'pure' state. Sin occurred both before an after the fall.
The way that you speak, sin should increase exponentially then, till the point that there's no goodness left. And yet, the monarchs of Israel & Judah were arbitrarily good and bad. Brain damage did not occur.

Ephesians 2
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

I think this passage shows these things.

Much love!