The Singular Factor In Coming To God Through Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm good:

"...in the name...of the Son..." = "...in the name of Jesus Christ..."​

But thank you anyway. I've been Spirit filled for 35 years.
Only remission of sins per obedience to Acts 2:38 can make you "good".

Try it, you have everything to gain and a lost soul to lose.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about Acts 8:12-18....they had gotten saved, baptized in Jesus Name, but did not receive the Holy Spirit until Peter and John laid hands on them and then they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹² But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
¹³ Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
¹⁴ Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
¹⁵ Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
¹⁶ (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
¹⁷ Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
¹⁸ And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

You just can't possibly make one size fits all with God.
Easy.

They were baptized for the remission of sins in Acts 8, exactly like Peter ordered in Acts 2, then Peter came to lay hands on them per the promised Holy Ghost to seal the deal.

Their Acts 2:38 worked out just like Acts 2 did.

They repented and were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins, then Peter was summoned to make sure that all of them were Spirit filled.

Now, that(all of Acts 8) shows us how very important water baptism was to the Apostles.

Corlove13

Apr 30, 2021
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy.

They were baptized for the remission of sins in Acts 8, exactly like Peter ordered in Acts 2, then Peter came to lay hands on them per the promised Holy Ghost to seal the deal.

Their Acts 2:38 worked out just like Acts 2 did.

They repented and were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins, then Peter was summoned to make sure that all of them were Spirit filled.

Now, that(all of Acts 8) shows us how very important water baptism was to the Apostles.
.....Note John was beheaded and who did they hear from about Jesus coming? Could it have been the one Aprilia had to explain more clearly to?

Point being the Baptism unto repentance in my understanding was a way to prepare their hearts for the coming of receiving their savior.

But Baptisms were obviously related to teachings....

So after the resurrection that proved Jesus was Lord over the living and dead. THEY HAD TO HEAR THIS FULL GOOD NEWS...U COULD IMAGINE IT WAS ABOUT....THE SAVIOR THAT HAS COME INTO THE World DIED, ROSE, WAS SEEN AND SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAD OF THE FATHER....

SO IF HE TAUGHT THEM what I only could imagine...AND THEY BELIEVED Jesus was the Son of God, savior and Lord. THEY WOULD THEN RECEIVE BAPTISM because they received the teaching. [Man lives by the word]

It may be that in talking to them He knew that they did not receive, Because their responses attitudes and actions...because they only heard the bare minimum about the coming of Jesus.

.....Something really important in Acts was to Show God accepted the Gentiles too...

Now if I was in that day and did not know the above(and even in this day)..I could not know something unless someway it was shown outwardly....For example Laying of Hands And Tongues...but for me these are somewhat Elementary to the beginning of the church ministry.
I say that because of the passage in Hebrews......Where it says let's move forward not laying the foundation again....and what was included?

1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits.

A person knows when they have received new Life....usually you are on fire. You can't hold your peace, you speak with boldness... But it is also continuous in life that we surrender our lives daily...waiting at times for a time of refreshing........Both my husband and I our understanding was opened up...when reading the word...And as we learn to trust Him it happens more....I don't know what other people gifts are...

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a fact scripturally that both repentance and faith are salvational criteria - not just faith - and that repentance isn’t automatically included with having faith, nor is repentance what happens after conversion.

And repentance includes specifically asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

Let’s start with what Jesus taught - Jesus said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent, we shall perish:

Luk 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luk 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance,He also said this after His resurrection:

Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

And Jesus taught that we must ask for our sins to be forgiven before they are, in the parable of the unforgiving servant, in Matthew 18:23.

In that account, the King is God, the debtor is us, the large debt he owed the king is our sins, and debtors prison is hell.

The debtor asked the King to forgive his debt/sins, which the king did, and that kept the debtor out of debtor’s prison/hell.

Jesus also gives the example of a man at the altar repenting of his sins and then being justified:

Luk 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified,

This, among other scriptures presented here, establish that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 Andhow I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith.

And Paul further elaborates that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should repent AND turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent AND turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repent and be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9 makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

And the account by Jesus of the unforgiving servant asking God to forgive his sins and the king then forgiving him, and 1 John 1:9, backs that up perfectly.

If it were true as some claim that repentance happens after conversion, or is part of it, then Acts 3:19 would say this: Be converted and repent, that your sins be forgiven - instead of saying to repent and be converted.

Thus it’s very clear scripturally that as Paul taught, it takes REPENTANCE towards God, and FAITH towards Jesus to be saved, and not just faith alone.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Jesus said in Matthew 28:19 refutes the Jesus only modalism of the UPC, TYVM.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm good:

"...in the name...of the Son..." = "...in the name of Jesus Christ..."​

But thank you anyway. I've been Spirit filled for 35 years.

Matthew 28:19 was said by the risen Jesus, just before His ascension.

I’ll take that as the highest authority, over Peter, any day.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only remission of sins per obedience to Acts 2:38 can make you "good".

Try it, you have everything to gain and a lost soul to lose.
I'll just stay in my unsaved self, thank you. If being saved hinges on the difference between saying "the Son" and "Jesus Christ" at your water baptism then Christianity isn't real for it to matter. I got saved by a real person who cares, not a legal system.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.....Note John was beheaded and who did they hear from about Jesus coming? Could it have been the one Aprilia had to explain more clearly to?

Point being the Baptism unto repentance in my understanding was a way to prepare their hearts for the coming of receiving their savior.

But Baptisms were obviously related to teachings....

So after the resurrection that proved Jesus was Lord over the living and dead. THEY HAD TO HEAR THIS FULL GOOD NEWS...U COULD IMAGINE IT WAS ABOUT....THE SAVIOR THAT HAS COME INTO THE World DIED, ROSE, WAS SEEN AND SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAD OF THE FATHER....

SO IF HE TAUGHT THEM what I only could imagine...AND THEY BELIEVED Jesus was the Son of God, savior and Lord. THEY WOULD THEN RECEIVE BAPTISM because they received the teaching. [Man lives by the word]

It may be that in talking to them He knew that they did not receive, Because their responses attitudes and actions...because they only heard the bare minimum about the coming of Jesus.

.....Something really important in Acts was to Show God accepted the Gentiles too...

Now if I was in that day and did not know the above(and even in this day)..I could not know something unless someway it was shown outwardly....For example Laying of Hands And Tongues...but for me these are somewhat Elementary to the beginning of the church ministry.
I say that because of the passage in Hebrews......Where it says let's move forward not laying the foundation again....and what was included?

1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits.

A person knows when they have received new Life....usually you are on fire. You can't hold your peace, you speak with boldness... But it is also continuous in life that we surrender our lives daily...waiting at times for a time of refreshing........Both my husband and I our understanding was opened up...when reading the word...And as we learn to trust Him it happens more....I don't know what other people gifts are...
You are an Acts skipper.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll just stay in my unsaved self, thank you. If being saved hinges on the difference between saying "the Son" and "Jesus Christ" at your water baptism then Christianity isn't real for it to matter. I got saved by a real person who cares, not a legal system.
Is this "legalism"?...

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Baptism is both word and deed.

Don't get duped by the RCC.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are an Acts skipper.
The important thing is that people believe and are then baptized for power of witness and holy living. There is no power in a legalistic formula to accomplish those goals. God is not a legalist. We have clear Biblical examples to show us that.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The important thing is that people believe and are then baptized for power of witness and holy living. There is no power in a legalistic formula to accomplish those goals. God is not a legalist. We have clear Biblical examples to show us that.
No, baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

Acts skippers, skip remission of sins.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this "legalism"?...

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Baptism is both word and deed.

Your legalistic ceremonial order and verbiage is what is being resisted. It's nothing more than 'religion', in every negative connotation of the word. It's important to relate to God through relationship, not legalistic religion which has no spiritual value. Ceremonial legalism will prevent a person from having a spiritual relationship with God, and will suffocate it if they have that relationship with him already. God is a person, not a legal system.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I detest the Catholic church for the exact reason I detest your doctrine. Legalistic ceremonies have no spiritual value.

Believe and get baptized. Done. Don't complicate it beyond that with ridiculous ceremonial legalisms.

Reactions: dev553344