The (sometime) not so obvious answer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do Christians tend to dismiss a passage altogether when it seems to contradict another? This is probably the only cause for denominational divide.

In one place: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26

And of course we know the Bible says to love; not hate. The perhaps, not so obvious resolve: You've never loved someone, from the bosom, without having hated them.

Every apparent contradiction has unity in the two. God forbid any, to fail to rightly divide.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church thinks it's only possible to dismiss one and keep the other, and so that's what Christians do. It's this insane 'black or white', 'all right or all wrong' thinking of the church. The church at large seems to have no capacity to be able to know how to reconcile two seemingly contradictory passages of scripture. But that is what you must do. Because you can't dismiss any scripture in favor of other scripture. The task is to find out the spiritual truth that unites them.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do Christians tend to dismiss a passage altogether when it seems to contradict another? This is probably the only cause for denominational divide.
I suggest to you that it is the #1 error of virtually all false doctrines in the church—ignoring a particular verse or passage of scripture that makes it impossible to believe what they believe.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

In one place: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26

And of course we know the Bible says to love; not hate. The perhaps, not so obvious resolve: You've never loved someone, from the bosom, without having hated them.

Every apparent contradiction has unity in the two. God forbid any, to fail to rightly divide.
The one word answer is 'paradigm'. If we cannot reconcile the scriptures with themselves it is how we see and that as a result of what (information) we've been exposed to and ingested that acts as a barrier to understanding.