The Spiritual Function of the Prophets have ceased !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I agree.
I have experienced some things that confirm this. Ready for a testimony?

I was in a church service where people were being prayed for.

It is common for people to go down under the power of the Holy Spirit. So I was up front standing behind people as a catcher. We don't want anyone to get hurt. The last person had been prayed for, but I was enjoying the worship music playing. The song said something about eagles wings. So I had my arms stretched out to follow the lyrics. The minister that was praying for people walked toward me and slapped a hand on my forehead, saying: "Vision like an eagle!" It startled me, but I received it as a prophetic word.

Didn't think much of it after that. I knew that if it meant something that I would see later. Sure enough. Wow. I began having visions. Rather nondescript visual snippets in my mind of a street near where I lived at the time. Wasn't sure what it meant. But I found out later!

Some time later I was in town on my bicycle. Turned to head home and remembered the vision. I wasn't far away, so I decided on a whim (hold that thought) to go check it out. It was the opposite direction from home. Out of my way. Glad I went.

No idea what it was about. I rode up the street until I felt I had gone far enough. Saw nothing. (I thought) So, I decided to turn around and head home. At that very moment I noticed something.

There was a woman across the street examining the back of her car. As if assessing damage. Hmm...? I decided to cross the street and get a closer look. I noticed that she looked rather sickly. Okay...

I crossed street and got a better look at her. Then God spoke very clearly to me. "Talk to that woman." I asked, "What should I say?" I never get an answer to that question. Great... (sigh)

So, I turned my bike around and went back in her direction. She was heading right for me. While I turned around I noticed a police squad car and another car with damage. Hmm, okay.

I waited for her to come to me. She was heading my direction. I asked, "What happened here?" She explained that she was coming back from a doctor's appointment when this guy ran into her. Now I was face-to-face with her. She had bumps on the top of her head the size of cherry tomatoes. I asked her if she had cancer. "Yes." She said. I asked if I could pray for her, now realizing what this was all about. "Yes."

I asked for permission to lay a hand on her shoulder while I prayed. "Sure." Totally unprepared, I said a prayer as best I could in the moment. I was not full of faith, just following the leading I felt.

Headed for home on my bicycle in wonder of what had just happened here. ??? Consider the logistics involved to make that happen. Wow.

Apostles and Prophets today? I think so.
I just get the Lord telling me to help people in need. It can be specific too.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have a question you wanted to ask me?

?

I was asking if you were fully cessationist, that is, no more Apostles/Prophets/Evangelists/Shepherd Teachers/Signs and Wonders/Ministry gifts, more like that.

Some don't believe any of these are for today, and I'm wonding if that describes you. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Much love!
Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and forever .

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cessationists here lack Scripture grounds for their claim.
In 1 Corinthians Paul teaches the democratization of the prophetic charism: "I want you ALL... to prophesy (14:5) and "you can ALL prophecy one at a time (14:31)." Paul's wish that every believer prophesy is based on Moses prophetic wish in Numbers 11:29:

"Moses said...: would that ALL the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit on them!"

Ancient Jewish rabbis took this as a divine promise that would be fulfilled when the Messiah came. Paul's recogition of Jesus as the Messiah
leads him to recognize the fulfillment of Moses' prophetic wish. Indeed, Paul has just referred to the nearby text in Numbers 12:6, 8 in 1 Corinthians 13:12, which is based on the Septuagint wording. Note that this means that Paul draws no distinction between a prophet and a believer who exercises the prophetic charism.

These points get lost because of a common misunderstanding of 12:28: "Are all prophets?...do all speak in tongues? etc." The implication is not that God never intended everyone to function as prophets, but rather that, in actual experience not everyone assumes this prophetic privilege. The Christian democratization of the prophetic charism on the basis of Numbers 11:29 was widespread in the early church of the first 3 centuries.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes indeed !
Yes indeed . and the gifts are still available .
As i am sure you agree my friend . IF any man does speak , however IT MUST be tested and done so against biblical truth .
IF any part of what one says contradicts what is already written in that bible , EXPOSE IT . THEY AINT hearing from
GOD .

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and forever .
That is verifiably incorrect. Perhaps you should study the scriptures more. Jesus was not glorified until after he was risen from being crucified. Now he shares the almighty power of God the Father. The scriptures spell that out.

He died and is raised and brought the comforter to us. We are now in him and him in us. That is very different than old testament times:

Romans 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

It's my understanding that Jesus is now the mediator. But only after the atonement was made.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE SPIRIT is our guide and the bible is our book . Test all spirits against the truth recorded in that bible .
Peter made sure that after his decease they would have a way to keep things in remembrance .
THEY DID , THEY gathered the letters and kept on with it . Keep feasting on that bible my friends .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is as incorrect as your understanding of the scriptures. Jesus was not glorified until after he was risen from being crucified. Now he shares the almighty power of God the Father. Before that he didn't. The scriptures spell that out.

He died and is raised and brought the comforter to us. We are now in him and him in us. That is very different than old testament times:

Romans 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.
I know he was not glorified till after he was crucifed . Its why the HOLY GHOST could not yet be given .
How on earth did what i say about JESUS being the same yesterday , today and forever have you come up with this .
Even paul wrote JESUS CHRIST the same yesterday , today and forever . But thanks for the reminders anyway .

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. Great post, thanks!
"Moses said...: would that ALL the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit on them!"
Terrific quote, thanks.
Ancient Jewish rabbis took this as a divine promise that would be fulfilled when the Messiah came. Paul's recogition of Jesus as the Messiah
leads him to recognize the fulfillment of Moses' prophetic wish. Indeed, Paul has just referred to the nearby text in Numbers 12:6, 8 in 1 Corinthians 13:12, which is based on the Septuagint wording. Note that this means that Paul draws no distinction between a prophet and a believer who exercises the prophetic charism.
Great insight, thanks.
hese points get lost because of a common misunderstanding of 12:28: "Are all prophets?...do all speak in tongues? etc." The implication is not that God never intended everyone to function as prophets, but rather that, in actual experience not everyone assumes this prophetic privilege. The Christian democratization of the prophetic charism on the basis of Numbers 11:29 was widespread in the early church of the first 3 centuries.
As I understand it, we don't own the gifts, the gifts own us. (or should)
We should all be open to however the Spirit chooses to manifest Himself.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just?
Don't minimize such a wonderful experience. (please)
Do you have a testimony of such?
I don't share my good works anymore. The Lord will reward me if there is anything worthy that I have done for him. But thanks for your testimony.

There is one time I failed to follow Jesus' promptings. I will share that.

A homeless young man came to my door. He had a bowl of cereal and asked for some milk. He looked sick and had snot running down his nose and was all dirty. I told him I don't have any food for him as I couldn't see myself getting my milk bottle that close to his snotty nose. After he had left I realized I could have put it in a glass and poured some in his bowl and been OK. Jesus said to me "You couldn't give him any milk"? He said it in that Holy Spirit tone that made me feel bad like I was being selfish.

Later I got word that a homeless man was hit by a car and killed just up the street. I haven't seen him since so I think it might have been him.

The point is to listen to Jesus' promptings and help people who need it. I'm repenting of that incident.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one time I failed to follow Jesus' promptings. I will share that.
Thanks for sharing. That was a truly heartfelt testimony.

When I was driving for my job I used to bring granola bars with me to give to the homeless with cardboard signs on the corners.
Occasionally they would refuse. But usually were grateful to get something to eat.

I wrote this song as if I was one of them. Don't miss the angels at the end.

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fdirty-man-030320

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: St. SteVen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. Great post, thanks!

Terrific quote, thanks.

Great insight, thanks.

As I understand it, we don't own the gifts, the gifts own us. (or should)
We should all be open to however the Spirit chooses to manifest Himself.
Blessings Steve. Laying a foundation once again I see. You know, the Bible says this for those that believe, "and you shall drink any deadly thing(poison) and it will not harm you." Many may think this is a liquid we drink, but truly I tell you, a deadly thing can be another gospel or a false teaching such as universal salvation. The reason it says "it will not harm you" is because of The Holy Spirit within the believer. Jesus promised by way of The Holy Spirit, "I will bring into remembrance all that I have said." And universal salvation is not what Jesus said. Hope all is well with you and yours. Pay attention to the storms and prepare accordingly. You are not up so north to be unaffected. Blessings.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings Steve.
To you as well.
You speak as if you know me from the past. Another forum?
Seems like old home week here today Discovered another old friend today already.
Laying a foundation once again I see.
As always, I suppose. The process of education must continue.

You know, the Bible says this for those that believe, "and you shall drink any deadly thing(poison) and it will not harm you." Many may think this is a liquid we drink, but truly I tell you, a deadly thing can be another gospel or a false teaching such as universal salvation. The reason it says "it will not harm you" is because of The Holy Spirit within the believer.
Curious reading on that. Thanks.
Jesus promised by way of The Holy Spirit, "I will bring into remembrance all that I have said."
Very true. Happens to me often.
And universal salvation is not what Jesus said.
Not how the Apostles understood it.

Acts 3:20-21 NIV
and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
You as well. Blessings.
Pay attention to the storms and prepare accordingly. You are not up so north to be unaffected. Blessings.
Mostly rain today. Had some hail this evening. Temp is dropping. See what we get.
Are you getting weather, as well?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cessationists here lack Scripture grounds for their claim.
In 1 Corinthians Paul teaches the democratization of the prophetic charism: "I want you ALL... to prophesy (14:5) and "you can ALL prophecy one at a time (14:31)." Paul's wish that every believer prophesy is based on Moses prophetic wish in Numbers 11:29:

These points get lost because of a common misunderstanding of 12:28: "Are all prophets?...do all speak in tongues? etc." The implication is not that God never intended everyone to function as prophets, but rather that, in actual experience not everyone assumes this prophetic privilege. The Christian democratization of the prophetic charism on the basis of Numbers 11:29 was widespread in the early church of the first 3 centuries.
The Bible was not complete then and 1 Corinthians was one of Paul’s first letters written.

hope this helps !!!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible was not complete then and 1 Corinthians was one of Paul’s first letters written.

hope this helps !!!
The canon of Inspired Scripture is not the gift of Prophecy.... sounds like you're equating the two in your mind. Hope this helps!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The canon of Inspired Scripture is not the gift of Prophecy.... sounds like you're equating the two in your mind. Hope this helps!
I'm saying God is not inspiring anyone to write new revelation. Gods word is complete and He is not revealing anything new that is contrary to His word in our 66 books.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying God is not inspiring anyone to write new revelation. Gods word is complete and He is not revealing anything new that is contrary to His word in our 66 books.
God is continually revealing Truth to all His sheep.... My sheep hear my voice.... Inspired scripture is done with, but God continues to speak to His church through the gifts of the Spirit. Read John 16:13, 1 Corinthians 12:31