The Spiritual Function of the Prophets have ceased !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is continually revealing Truth to all His sheep.... My sheep hear my voice.... Inspired scripture is done with, but God continues to speak to His church through the gifts of the Spirit. Read John 16:13, 1 Corinthians 12:31
Nothing new that is not contained in our Bible.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing new that is not contained in our Bible.
the Bible does not address modern issues, of Modern Society. God speaks and addresses these issues to the saints, who then impart these words and warnings to the churches. Sounds like you worship the Bible rather than the Author of the Bible.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bible does not address modern issues, of Modern Society. God speaks and addresses these issues to the saints, who then impart these words and warnings to the churches. Sounds like you worship the Bible rather than the Author of the Bible.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)
Agreed so quit worrying about prophecy .

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying God is not inspiring anyone to write new revelation. Gods word is complete and He is not revealing anything new that is contrary to His word in our 66 books.
I agree with that as a complete statement, but would like to add that prophetic giftings, like a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom, and general spiritual discernment can play an important role in edifying and encouraging the Body of Christ. God is still speaking.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying God is not inspiring anyone to write new revelation. Gods word is complete and He is not revealing anything new that is contrary to His word in our 66 books.
I agree with that as a complete statement, but would like to add that prophetic giftings, like a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom, and general spiritual discernment can play an important role in edifying and encouraging the Body of Christ. God is still speaking.
Which means...
The spiritual function of the prophets has not ceased. IMHO
(but, I suppose you meant Prophets, with a capital "P") ???? e.g. OT Prophets.

1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV
But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

cc: @Christophany @Jim B @Pathfinder7

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which means...
The spiritual function of the prophets has not ceased. IMHO
(but, I suppose you meant Prophets, with a capital "P") ???? e.g. OT Prophets.

1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV
But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

cc: @Christophany @Jim B @Pathfinder7
I do not dispute your 1 Cor 14 verse

Reactions: St. SteVen

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the foundation has been laid nothing new since Revelation was written

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello, David.
I want to address your posts as someone that may be a bit more understanding of both sides of these issues.
The canon of Inspired Scripture is not the gift of Prophecy.... sounds like you're equating the two in your mind. Hope this helps!
Agreed. That's a good point.
The inspired scriptures were the RESULT in many cases of the "gift of Prophecy" as you put it.
So, in that sense prophetic scripture is a subset of Prophecy, since not ALL prophetic utterance was recorded, nor canonized.
God is continually revealing Truth to all His sheep.... My sheep hear my voice.... Inspired scripture is done with, but God continues to speak to His church through the gifts of the Spirit. Read John 16:13, 1 Corinthians 12:31
Agree.
I would add...

1 Corinthians 2:13 NIV
This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit,
explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.[a]
the Bible does not address modern issues, of Modern Society. ...
Could you unpack that a bit more? How does the Bible fail in this area? Not specific enough?
Or do you mean that we need prophetic utterance to address the issues that don't seem to be addressed directly in the Bible?
Like LGBTQ, mental illness, political/social, and other complex modern issues?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christophany
I was comparing our avatars.
You went to the water and got a fish. (a HUGE fish)
I went to the water and got a stone. - LOL
Suppose we both fought the wind and waves though. - LOL

Matthew 8:27 NIV
The men were amazed and asked,
“What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

• Love
Reactions: ChristisGod

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christophany
I was comparing our avatars.
You went to the water and got a fish. (a HUGE fish)
I went to the water and got a stone. - LOL
Suppose we both fought the wind and waves though. - LOL

Matthew 8:27 NIV
The men were amazed and asked,
“What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
My avatar is a photo of me on the beach at Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior.

I spied an interesting stone and wanted to examine it closer.
It was in the water where the waves were crashing.
Which pushes and pulls the rocks with each crash.

I had to run in while the wave went out, grab my stone and retreat
on the slippery wet rocks before the next wave soaked my feet. - LOL
Got it.

What's your story?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you unpack that a bit more? How does the Bible fail in this area? Not specific enough?
Or do you mean that we need prophetic utterance to address the issues that don't seem to be addressed directly in the Bible?
Like LGBTQ, mental illness, political/social, and other complex modern issues?
As a moral guide Scripture is sufficient even regarding modern problems, because all modern problems stem from sin in general. But with regard to things like technology and its positive and negative effects on our lives it does not address these things. For example, I am an antivaxer (Covid Vaccine) now, not because the Bible told me to, But because the Holy Ghost showed me the negative implications of the vaccine. I took a stand on this to the detriment of my own life, (Dialysis, transplant list, Got removed from list for refusing it.) Despite everyone mocking my decision. Now I have doctors telling me that I did the right thing, and the vaccine has more side effects than had natural immunity been allowed to run its course. The Bible speaks nothing of this, the Spirit does.

• Love