• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Now, let me cut to the chase.....it is the Command to Remember to Sabbath day to keep it Holy that is the primary offending Commandment for those wanting to get rid of God's Law.....It is the Commandment which says I have stopped my work and have given this time so I can spend it with you. The highest honour that one can give another is to spend time with them. The very next day after creating Adam God gave him a full 24 hrs to commune with him without interruption. That is a high honour and he has asked us to not forget it.

Dear Quiet Thinker, I salute you. Keep on thinking on these things. God bless you

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Let every man be fully convinced in his own mind...the teaching of Romans 14 is that if you hold to a sabbath (Saturday) view of rest, adhere to it.

But if you hold to the idea that every day is alike, God is able also to make you stand.

There is nothing about the Sabbath in Romans 14; even less about <<the idea that every day is alike>>. You don't know Scripture, that simple; so not worth bothering further.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing about the Sabbath in Romans 14; even less about <<the idea that every day is alike>>. You don't know Scripture, that simple; so not worth bothering further.

Rom 14:1, Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2, For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3, Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4, Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Rom 14:5, One man esteemeth one day above another (here is the mention of the sabbath day): another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6, He that regardeth the (sabbath) day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the (sabbath) day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

I find it almost to be funny how people have a tendency to challenge me on the scriptures by saying that they do not say what they say...and this only gives me the opportunity to quote the holy scriptures in order that I may make my point even further.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will never forget the day that I walked into a Seventh Day Adventist church and after the service, the parishioners tried to sell me on the idea that they had fellowship over the concept of the sabbath day.

It seemed so shallow.

Much more believable if you show forth the basis for real fellowship...Jesus Himself.

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Something for you people trying to keep comandments to think about

love is the fulfilling of the law. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. We love him, because he first loved us.

Reactions: Debp

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
For we who have believed do enter that rest

Mathew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Reactions: Debp

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rom 14:5, One man esteemeth one day above another (here is the mention of the sabbath day): another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6, He that regardeth the (sabbath) day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the (sabbath) day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
You seem very enamoured in your position re the sabbath day jbf. Might I bring to your attention some information re the verses you have quoted. First up, the sabbaths referred to above are the various holidays (holy days all called sabbaths) that the Jews kept as types, (let me ask respectfully, do you understand what is meant by the word 'type'?) ....days like passover, feast of tabernacles, etc.....these are all called sabbaths and it is to these that Paul addresses his message.

Applying these texts to refer to the 7th day Sabbath of the Decalogue is incorrect because speaking of the law in Romans 3:31 Paul says, "do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law."

What is established in the law? (the Decalogue)...it is the unchanging nature of it in that it is perfect as David says here....

Psalm 19:7-11.

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.

God is always at all times opposed to stealing and murder and adultery and Sabbath breaking and coveting etc. Nothing has changed in regards to that.

Paul is addressing none other than the customs associated with the ceremonial laws. (that is the context) He is saying these have found a fulfilment in Jesus and if you want to maintain the custom so be it but don't hang it on those who choose not to maintain the custom, who see it for its ceremonial purpose.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Something for you people trying to keep comandments to think about

love is the fulfilling of the law. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. We love him, because he first loved us.
Hey HL, you need to send a pair of those specs to each of my buddies.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Gerhard....I would suggest not to be so hasty in drawing this conclusion. As said previously, it is the time factor that identifies whether there is respect or no. You hang out with those you are drawn to. You don't hang out with who you are not drawn to.

Giving a person your time has more value than giving them anything else.

In our world of smoke and mirrors and all manner of subterfuge even the enemy wants your time......look at me, look at me is the catch cry of fashion, status and all manner of self glorification.

Creation is a marvel is it not? .....how much more is ReCreation. We are invited to not forget in the fourth Commandment.....the only one that is a reminder to that end....'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy'

Satan also has his spurious day......and homage is willingly paid though mostly ignorantly by forgetting the 7th day and remembering the 1st day.

I think we are MORE OR LESS on the same page but translated into different languages.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Scripturally!
Why do you list Scriptures but when your abuse of them is debunked, you go on obtruding them as if nothing happened? That's too easy apologetics.

However, I say it is Scripture: Romans 7:1,2 1 Corinthians 7:9. Are you a member of the Church of Christ? Are you his bride? And He your Husband? And did not YOU STATE JESUS IS THE LAW?

So are there countless more Scriptures, JBF, PROVING YOU, are UNDER the Law of God for as long as you will live BECAUSE ONE DAY YOU WILL DIE, friend, and die, a SINNER, beloved brother in Jesus Christ our ONLY Saviour. We would have been our OWN saviours if we could get out from under God's Law; no need for Christ if we're not under the Law.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I find it almost to be funny how people have a tendency to challenge me on the scriptures by saying that they do not say what they say...and this only gives me the opportunity to quote the holy scriptures in order that I may make my point even further.

5One person esteems one day above another;
5ὃς μὲν γὰρ κρίνει ἡμέραν παρ’ ἡμέραν,

another esteems every day alike.
ὃς δὲ κρίνει πᾶσαν ἡμέραν·

Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
ἕκαστος ἐν τῷ ἰδίῳ νοῒ πληροφορείσθω.

6He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;
6ὁ φρονῶν τὴν ἡμέραν Κυρίῳ φρονεῖ·

and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.
NO Greek, it is a copiest's corruption.

He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks;
καὶ ὁ ἐσθίων Κυρίῳ ἐσθίει, εὐχαριστεῖ γὰρ τῷ Θεῷ

and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
καὶ ὁ μὴ ἐσθίων Κυρίῳ οὐκ ἐσθίει, καὶ εὐχαριστεῖ τῷ Θεῷ.

EVERYBODY OBSERVED THE ‘DAY’ which you yourself say was the Sabbath—NOBOBY did NOT observe

So WHERE as you falsely allege, is <<the sabbath>> in this passage you’re falsely claiming is in it? Romans 14 does not speak about the Sabbath at all--AS I SAID BUT YOU INSIST IT DOES. It speaks about FOOD AND DRINK of ANNUAL ('Jewish' feast days) which according to Paul "is not the kingdom of God"-- in other words FOOD AND DRINK, which was "their god their tummy" as Paul also says and I think till today is the truth.

Now I find it indeed to be pathetic how people like you have the audacity to challenge what "is Written" in the relevant Scripture by saying that it is written while it is not Written...and this only gives me the opportunity to quote the actual Text in order that I may make my point even clearer.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Paul is addressing none other than the customs associated with the ceremonial laws. (that is the context) He is saying these have found a fulfilment in Jesus and if you want to maintain the custom so be it but don't hang it on those who choose not to maintain the custom, who see it for its ceremonial purpose.

Typical inept SDA salesman's talk.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he that regardeth

PHRASE
g5426

φρονῶν φρονέωphroneō
speaker3_a.svg

V-PAP-NSM
not

g3361

μὴ μή
speaker3_a.svg

PRT-N
the day

PHRASE
g2250

ἡμέραν ἡμέραhēmera
speaker3_a.svg

N-ASF
to the Lord

PHRASE
g2962

κυρίῳ κύριοςkyrios
speaker3_a.svg

N-DSM
he doth

PHRASE
g5426

φρονεῖ φρονέωphroneō
speaker3_a.svg

V-PAI-3S
not

g3756

οὐ οὐou
speaker3_a.svg

PRT-N
regard

g5426

φρονεῖ φρονέωphroneō
speaker3_a.svg

V-PAI-3S
it. He that eateth

PHRASE
g2068

ἐσθίων ἐσθίωesthiō

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.
NO Greek, it is a copiest's corruption.
You apparently believe that the Lord isn't sovereign, Omnipotent, and loving; so that He would preserve His unadulterated message for the people.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
This is what God will say to all those who pick and choose and use sophistry to spiritualize away the commandments which are not agreeable, traditional, or convenient for them to keep.