The True Religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
To take issue with the English word "religion", which serves acceptably for the Greek word thre·skei´a, and taken from the Latin word re·li´gi·o, could be compared to what Jesus said of the scribes and Pharisees, that these had ' strained out the gnat and gulped down the camel."(Matt 23:24) Unless there is a clear distortion as to the meaning of thre·skei´a, then utilizing the English word "religion" provides a sound understanding for grasping how to identify the true "religion" or "form of worship."

The Jews in Jesus day missed the point and impact of Jesus and his illustrations, with him telling his disciples that "this is why I speak to them (the Jews) by the use of illustrations, because, looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, neither do they get the sense (Greek sy·ni´e·mi, meaning "to mentally put the pieces together" or "perceive") of it [the kingdom]."(Matt 13:13)

And concerning James and his letter "to the twelve tribes scattered about"(James 1:1), the apostle Paul wrote that "all Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."(2 Tim 3:16, 17) James wrote under inspiration from God, and his letter to the "twelve tribes" or all the congregations, not separating Jew from Gentile, was preserved by God for our everlasting benefit.

James was eminently qualified to write a letter of counsel to the Christian congregation. He was greatly respected as an overseer in the Jerusalem congregation. Paul speaks of “James the brother of the Lord” as one of the “pillars” in the congregation along with Cephas and John. (Gal. 1:19; 2:9) James’ prominence is indicated by Peter’s sending immediate word to “James and the brothers” after his release from prison. And was it not James who acted as spokesman for “the apostles and the older men” when Paul and Barnabas journeyed to Jerusalem to request a decision regarding circumcision? Incidentally, this decision and the letter of James both start with the identical salutation, “Greetings!”—another indication that they had a common writer.(Acts 12:17; 15:13, 22, 23; Jas. 1:1)

The "wall" or Mosaic Law covenant, that separated Jew from Gentile, was removed with the death of Jesus on the torture stake. In speaking with the Ephesians, Paul wrote of Christ Jesus, that "he is our peace, he who made the two parties one and destroyed the wall in between that fenced them (Jew and Gentile) off."(Eph 2:14) Thus, the "twelve tribes" are not speaking of literal Jews, but rather of both Jew and Gentile as "one", those who are doing God's will. James' letter is therefore for those who can rightly call themselves Christian, having the "pure religion"(James 1:27, King James Bible) or "form of worship" that is "clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father...and (is keeping) oneself without spot from the world."

The real issue should not be with the rendering of thre·skei´a, as "religion", for this serves satisfactorily in English, but rather with identifying what pleases God, how to identify the "true religion". Straining "out the gnat" or minor issue and missing the "camel" or larger issue, is like being distracted by our shoe lace that is loose while a powerful tornado is coming, completely oblivious to it's presence. Which is more important to deal with ? If a person is busy with their cell phone and misses the "train", which takes precedence ? Hence, the critical issue is who has the true religion or "form of worship" that pleases God, since there are over 10, 000 different religious sects that all profess to serve God.

Are you familiar with etymology?
smile.gif

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Ah, they are close, as I suspected as Everything related to God, and the Word must be in divine connection with fishing. The first recorded disciple was found doing what? Fishing!!!! using correct interpretation, with hermeneutics, and other methods, this proves that the Christian life starts with fishing, as there can be no doubt according to scripture.

thank you for the insight, it proves what I have always suspected. (To think some have erroneously thought it be Golf, they have no scripture!!!)

Jesus Is Lord.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Ah, they are close, as I suspected as Everything related to God, and the Word must be in divine connection with fishing. The first recorded disciple was found doing what? Fishing!!!! using correct interpretation, with hermeneutics, and other methods, this proves that the Christian life starts with fishing, as there can be no doubt according to scripture.

thank you for the insight, it proves what I have always suspected. (To think some have erroneously thought it be Golf, they have no scripture!!!)

Jesus Is Lord.

Most definitely agree, fishing is very much connected. Hey I wonder if I can claim the money spent on fishing gear as ministry tools?
wink.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Most definitely agree, fishing is very much connected. Hey I wonder if I can claim the money spent on fishing gear as ministry tools?
wink.gif

Ya know, there's a few of us here that could turn this all into a circus if we're not careful. Keep it up though, until we get caught. Life is short.
fivesense

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Ya know, there's a few of us here that could turn this all into a circus if we're not careful. Keep it up though, until we get caught. Life is short.
fivesense

Your probably right, but it seems to draw a crowd.

On another note I appreciate your posts and scriptural insight very challenging and provoking.
smile.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Your close Mike, that would be entomology another great tool if you like to fly fish like an ole bug slinger like myself. Hey it might also be useful in revealing why I seem to bug people so much.
tongue.gif

Though this is an example of relative truth, and not absolute truth, you are a bugger jiggyfly. Or is that booger? I give up...
fivesense

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you familiar with etymology?
smile.gif

I am familiar with etymology, examining Hebrew and Greek words as to their base meaning, although I am by no means a scholar, but rather just a serious Bible student.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am familiar with etymology, examining Hebrew and Greek words as to their base meaning, although I am by no means a scholar, but rather just a serious Bible student.

Have you searched the etymology of the English word "religion". Sometimes there's a difference between what a word has become and what it comes from.
smile.gif

A good example is the English word "let", originally it meant to "hinder" but today it means to "allow". This information is a must when reading the KJV.

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you searched the etymology of the English word "religion". Sometimes there's a difference between what a word has become and what it comes from.
smile.gif

A good example is the English word "let", originally it meant to "hinder" but today it means to "allow". This information is a must when reading the KJV.

You are correct regarding the word "let", as used by the King James Bible at 2 Thessalonians 2:7, that it certainly brings about a misunderstanding. However, the English word "religion" does not cause any confusion on the part of the reader as does the word "let" at 2 Thessalonians 2 in the King James Bible. In 1611, when the King James Version Bible was written, “let” still carried the thought of restraint.

Over the course of time, the word came to mean instead of "hinder or prevent", rather to "not prevent: to allow something to happen or somebody to do something."(Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005) Thus it changed diametrically. Bible translators who "earn their salt," need to keep up-to-date with word meaning changes. The King James Bible has failed to do just that and is still archaic and inaccurate rather than accurately rewritten in modern English.

Nonetheless, the English word "religion" is acceptable, having been established as meaning "beliefs and worship: people’s beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life."(Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005)

Encarta further said that it was "via Anglo-Norman religiun , from Old French religion , from the Latin stem religion- “obligation, reverence." Some words have an etymology that is uncertain, such as the Greek word for heaven, ou·ra·nos′, that is used over 170 times in what is commonly called the New Testament, or Christian Greek Scriptures. And yet, no one complains, because its meaning is understood rather than its etymology.

Of the English word "religion", though its etymology may seemingly mean "to bind," it has become an accepted part of the English language without causing a loss of its import, just as the English word "heaven". To find fault with an English word that serves as an acceptable word for the Greek thre·skei´a is nit picking. However, a word that should be discarded is the English word "Godhead", that was coined to support the trinity. This English word was attached to three Greek words, thei´os, thei·o´tes, and the·o´tes that occur at Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20, and Colossians 2:9 in the King James Bible. Yet, at 2 Peter 1:4, thei´os is rendered as "divine nature" in the King James Bible. Why not in all the other places ?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Of the English word "religion", though its etymology may seemingly mean "to bind," it has become an accepted part of the English language without causing a loss of its import, just as the English word "heaven". To find fault with an English word that serves as an acceptable word for the Greek thre·skei´a is nit picking. However, a word that should be discarded is the English word "Godhead", that was coined to support the trinity. This English word was attached to three Greek words, thei´os, thei·o´tes, and the·o´tes that occur at Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20, and Colossians 2:9 in the King James Bible. Yet, at 2 Peter 1:4, thei´os is rendered as "divine nature" in the King James Bible. Why not in all the other places ?

Nice post Guestman, even though we seem to still disagree about the word "religion" it seems we may agree about the KJV having several areas of mistranslation.
smile.gif

I personally do not like the word religion because of it's both it's origin and it's guise. But this is my opinion, Thanks for posting.
smile.gif

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice post Guestman, even though we seem to still disagree about the word "religion" it seems we may agree about the KJV having several areas of mistranslation.
smile.gif

I personally do not like the word religion because of it's both it's origin and it's guise. But this is my opinion, Thanks for posting.
smile.gif

Jiffyfly,

You are right that under the the guise or cloak of "religion", many a wicked deed has been done, and that people of all nationalities have been duped into believing a "lie", whereby many have "exchanged the truth of God for the lie."(Rom 1:25) Under the pretense of "religion", individuals have poured into the coffers millions of dollars to televangelists, such as Jim and Tammy Baker of the PTL Club, and Jimmy Swaggart in the 1980s and have committed atrocities. During the conflict in Rwanda in 1994 between the Huto and Tutsi, approximately 1 million people died, though the country is about 80 percent Catholic.

The ancient city of Babylon was notorious for its false religious system. Evidence from excavations and from ancient texts points to the existence of more than 50 temples. The principal god of the imperial city was Marduk, called Merodach in the Bible. It has been suggested that Nimrod (who built the city of Babel, Gen 10:10) was deified as Marduk, but the opinions of scholars as to identifications of gods with specific humans vary. Triads of deities were also prominent in the Babylonian religion. One of these, made up of two gods and a goddess, was Sin (the moon-god), Shamash (the sun-god), and Ishtar; these were said to be the rulers of the zodiac. And still another triad was composed of the devils Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu. Idolatry was everywhere in evidence. Babylon was indeed “a land of graven images,” filthy “dungy idols.”(Jer 50:1, 2, 38)

Thus, in the book of Revelation, the mystic religious "city" of Babylon the Great now takes on great importance, saying that she, "made all the nations drink of the wine of her fornication."(Rev 14:8) Being as the ancient city of Babylon was noted as an immensely religious city and God causing her fall in 539 B.C.E.(Isa 14:22; 21:9), being the prototype of Babylon the Great, then this "city" of Babylon the Great that "made all the nations drink of the wine of her fornication" is none other than the world empire of false religion.The nations of the earth are "drunk" with her false religious teachings, and are therefore under her influence.

That is why God has caused a "voice" to be heard around the earth concerning Babylon the Great: "Get out of her, my people, if you do want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind."(Rev 18:4) Thus, false religion has given the word "religion" a bitter taste in the mouths of many.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Guestman, I always appreciate your posts. Much of what you give adds to the faith, and confirms the Word. Continue in your pursuit of God and what He has spoken with grace and wisdom, that we may all enjoy the Life within you.
fivesense

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guestman, I always appreciate your posts. Much of what you give adds to the faith, and confirms the Word. Continue in your pursuit of God and what He has spoken with grace and wisdom, that we may all enjoy the Life within you.
fivesense

There is the vital need to understand what the true religion is and who are the ones that are practicing it. Jesus taught his disciples to pray for God's name of Jehovah to be sanctified.(Matt 6:9) Are the churches doing this ? Have not they hid God's name and instead use just titles, such as saying the reading of the King James Bible, of "the Lord God."(Gen 2:2, King James Bible) Jesus said it succinctly in prayer to his Father: "Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you; but I have come to know you....And I have made your name known to them and will make it known."(John 17:25, 26)

Thus, in order for a religion to be the true religion, it must make known God's name of Jehovah, that is within the pages of the Bible over 7000 times. The apostle Paul quoted from Joel 2:32, saying: "For "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."(Rom 10:13) This involves much more than just knowing what God’s personal name is. It includes knowing also the person represented by the name and living in a way consistent with the purposes connected with that name. It is the responsibility of all who worship the true God to be diligent in making his name known to others, as Jesus did. (John 17:6, 26) Jehovah God promises to bless those who know, use, and honor his great name.(Ps 91:14)

Reactions: truthquest

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Hello,

If someone asks you what the true religion is, what will you answer? Christianity. Even though there are hundreds other religions in the world. Because we believe in Christ, and we know in our hearts it is right.

I have asked people of other religions. They too believe they are right, because they too feel it in their hearts. They are no different from us.

Then how do you really know what is true and what is not? Is it right that you may be damned to suffer in the afterlife just because you couldn't guess which one religion out of hundreds is the true one?

If you go back into ancient history and ancient religions, there was always one who stood out as different. That was Judaism. The reason why they were different is because their God Yahweh was a real God who acted on their behalf the way no other worldly god did.

The God of the hebrew bible proved himself true and he also proved every other god false in the way that he dealt with his nation of Isreal.

Jesus, who was Jewish and worshiped the God Yahweh also identified him as the only true God. Then Jesus followers continued to worship that God as disciples of Christ and this is why we are confident that the Christian God is the only true God and all others are man-made. Its not just because we feel it in our hearts, its because history has shown him to be such.

Reactions: truthquest

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well all religions are just that, true religions, they all teach falsely and all keep men in bondage. I like God and Jesus, dont believe or have anything to do with religion I have a failth, and it is in Jesus Christ, not man, not church and not the bible or my own understanding, for without Christ I can do nothing.

In His LOve

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well all religions are just that, true religions, they all teach falsely and all keep men in bondage. I like God and Jesus, dont believe or have anything to do with religion I have a failth, and it is in Jesus Christ, not man, not church and not the bible or my own understanding, for without Christ I can do nothing.

In His LOve

Good post Mjrhealth, Paul's faith rested in Jesus also. Notice he wrote to the believers @Colossi.

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.
smile.gif

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hello,

If someone asks you what the true religion is, what will you answer? Christianity. Even though there are hundreds other religions in the world. Because we believe in Christ, and we know in our hearts it is right.

I have asked people of other religions. They too believe they are right, because they too feel it in their hearts. They are no different from us.

Then how do you really know what is true and what is not? Is it right that you may be damned to suffer in the afterlife just because you couldn't guess which one religion out of hundreds is the true one?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6

Jesus saved me. If He said so in His word, then it is so.

By His hand have I been plucked out of the deep waters.
By His grace I dwelt in peace as I watched storms rage all around me.
By His merciful hand have I been delivered from the power of sin.
He has made me to lie down in green pastures and He has led me beside still waters.
He has prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
He has caused the wind to be at my back and the ground to rise up before me.
He walks with me and He talks to me and He has told me I am His own.

Jesus says that He is the only way. I know Him and He knows me.
I am alive today because He saved me, in every way a man can be saved.
Jesus has never lied to me nor let me down. EVER.

If Jesus says there is no other way, THEN THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The churches have pointed toward John 14:6 for a very long time, but have never given a detailed explanation of it. It is like someone saying "I'll show you the way" to a destination, but then is unable to explain how to get there. These have said of "Christian" religions, that "all roads lead to God." However, Jesus said that "narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it."(Matt 7:14) This truly "narrows" down the religion that pleases God, being as it is "cramped", with the measurements being tightly confined as to what is right in God's eyes, not broad as the churches across the board have taught. Jesus further said to "exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will seek to get in but will not be able."(Luke 13:24)

Jesus is indeed "the way" (John 14:6), not ways. James wrote that there is only one "pure religion" at James 1:27 (Greek threskeia, literally meaning "form of worship"), one not tainted with false religious teachings, such as hellfire, the immortality of the soul or the trinity, and traditions (Matt 15:3), nor "part of the world" (John 15:19), not partaking in any form in the political arena, even mentally. The apostle Paul wrote that there is only "one faith" at Ephesians 4:5, not faiths, as in many. Jesus called the one true religion, "the truth" (John 8:32), not truths. Of Satan the Devil, Jesus said that he "did not stand fast in the truth"(John 8:44), and that "If you love me, you will observe my commandments; and I will request the Father and he will give you another helper to be with you forever, the spirit of the truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither beholds it nor knows it."(John 14:15-17)

God's name, Jehovah, is in the Bible over 7000 times, yet among the churches, few mention it consistently. None of the churches have taken up the name of Jehovah, to spread it abroad and defend it. It is disturbing that Jesus taught his followers to pray for God's name to "hallowed" or sanctified at Matthew 6:9 and yet among of the churches, it could be said that none are making his name known, instructing ones about it. Could these be then teaching "the truth" ? Could any of these be the one "pure religion" that James spoke of ? How can any religion that professes to be Christian use only titles, such as God or Lord, and still say that they adhere to Matthew 6:9 ? Though the nation of Israel during Jesus brief appointed time of 33 1/2 years had to an extent, stopped using God's name, Jesus used it, such as when quoting from Deuteronomy 8:3 at Matthew 4:4, from Deuteronomy 6:16 at Matthew 4:7 and from Deuteronomy 5:9 and 10:20 at Matthew 4:10.

For example, the Catholic hierarchy is seeking to eliminate the use of the divine name in their church services. Two years ago, the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments sent instructions on this matter to Catholic bishops’ conferences worldwide. The step was taken “by directive” of the pope. This document, dated June 29, 2008, decries the fact that despite instructions to the contrary, “in recent years the practice has crept in of pronouncing the God of Israel’s proper name, known as the holy or divine tetragrammaton, written with four consonants of the Hebrew alphabet in the form יהוה, YHWH.” The document notes that the divine name has variously been rendered “Yahweh,” “Yahwè,” “Jahweh,” “Jahwè,” “Jave,” “Yehovah,” and so forth. However, the Vatican directive seeks to reestablish the traditional Catholic position. That is to say, the Tetragrammaton is to be replaced by “Lord.” Moreover, in Catholic religious services, hymns, and prayers, God’s name “YHWH is neither to be used or pronounced.”

In support of this position, the Vatican’s document appeals to the “immemorial tradition” of Catholicism. The directive claims that even in the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, dating to pre-Christian times, the divine name was regularly rendered Ky′ri·os, the Greek word for “Lord.” Thus, the directive insists, “Christians, too, from the beginning never pronounced the divine tetragrammaton.” This statement, however, ignores clear evidence to the contrary. Early copies of the Septuagint contained, not Ky′ri·os, but the divine name in the form יהוה. Christ’s first-century followers knew and pronounced God’s name. Jesus himself said in prayer to his Father: “I have made your name known"(John 17:26), and in his well-known model prayer, Jesus taught us to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.”(Matthew 6:9)

Jesus is for a surety "the way" to understand and gain intimacy with God, Jehovah. Hence, who is the only one "pure" or true religion that accepts the challenge of making known Jehovah God and his eternal purposes, being his people ? The churches ? Who are the ones that are his witnesses, that have followed closely Jesus command at Matthew 28:19, 20, to "go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations....teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you" ?