The Truth of Genesis

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Rather, no use that you see ;)
Is that another "just have faith" thing?

Again, I can only answer for me.
Okay.

If you want want an experiment in a scientific journal, that's what you need.

However, we as human beings run lots of experiments that do not follow such rigid methodology. An individual's experiences would be one such example. A person goes, tries something out, observes the results, rinse & repeat. But there's no rigid controlled environment or alternative test groups.
That's what I was talking about with my experiences in church. When someone got sick they tried anointing with oil, laying hands, and praying, and all it did was make more people sick. So my conclusion was that none of those are effective.

I saw one prominent leader in our church struggle with a life issue and regularly pray for God to give him strength. He ended up killing himself. So my conclusion was that his prayers were ineffective.

There's lots more, but you get the point. Eventually I just concluded that Christianity was a made-up belief system like other religions and I walked away. So unless you've got something new, I don't see a reason to do all that again.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that another "just have faith" thing?
No.
That's what I was talking about with my experiences in church. When someone got sick they tried anointing with oil, laying hands, and praying, and all it did was make more people sick. So my conclusion was that none of those are effective.

I saw one prominent leader in our church struggle with a life issue and regularly pray for God to give him strength. He ended up killing himself. So my conclusion was that his prayers were ineffective.

There's lots more, but you get the point. Eventually I just concluded that Christianity was a made-up belief system like other religions and I walked away. So unless you've got something new, I don't see a reason to do all that again.
I'm not going to discount your experience: its very real. But I will point out that your experience also is not a pure scientific method (like one that you would publish in a journal with control groups etc). I for example, would not fit your previously observed trend.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Then how do we know if the things from religion are effective?

I'm not going to discount your experience: its very real. But I will point out that your experience also is not a pure scientific method (like one that you would publish in a journal with control groups etc). I for example, would not fit your previously observed trend.
Right, it's not an actual scientific experiment. We can't do scientific experiments on religious stuff because gods aren't available to be studied. Instead we rely on our personal, subjective observations and impressions. My observation is that religious rituals are mostly ineffective (some do work to reassure people much like a placebo) and my impression is that it's made up.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how do we know if the things from religion are effective?.
Test it out in your own life.
T
Right, it's not an actual scientific experiment. We can't do scientific experiments on religious stuff because gods aren't available to be studied. Instead we rely on our personal, subjective observations and impressions. My observation is that religious rituals are mostly ineffective (some do work to reassure people much like a placebo) and my impression is that it's made up.
And I'll acknowledge that.

My experience does differ though.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Test it out in your own life.
That's what I did for much of my upbringing. I found it entirely lacking and mostly useless.

And I'll acknowledge that.

My experience does differ though.
That's fair. Just as you drew conclusions from your experiences, I drew conclusions from my experiences. When it comes to subjective things like religion that's about all we can do, isn't it?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I did for much of my upbringing. I found it entirely lacking and mostly useless.

That's fair. Just as you drew conclusions from your experiences, I drew conclusions from my experiences. When it comes to subjective things like religion that's about all we can do, isn't it?
Vast vast majority of life and the beliefs you or anyone else holds fall into that "subjective" category.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
With completely subjective morals that don't fit into any scientific studies :p
Naturally, since all morals are subjective. You derive yours at least in part from your religion and we just agreed that religious beliefs are subjective.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Naturally, since all morals are subjective. You derive yours at least in part from your religion and we just agreed that religious beliefs are subjective.
haha.
You'd be amazed how many atheists have tried to convince me that their morals were somehow not subjective and somehow superior to mine.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Rather, no use that you see ;)

Again, I can only answer for me.

If you want want an experiment in a scientific journal, that's what you need.

However, we as human beings run lots of experiments that do not follow such rigid methodology. An individual's experiences would be one such example. A person goes, tries something out, observes the results, rinse & repeat. But there's no rigid controlled environment or alternative test groups.
What I see is that pandemics are prophesied as being an indication that we are in the last days. They, along with wars between nations, and earthquakes are an essential part of the territory, and no amount of prayer, or "taking authority" will stop these things from happening and taking their full course. All we can do is to apply God's promises for us as Christian believers that "A thousand may fall by your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come nigh thee" (Psalm 91:7), and:
"He said, "If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you." (Exodus 15:26).

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I knew some ladies from the Philippines who spoke Spanish. Is that your first language? If so, you could put your comment in Spanish and I could try and interpret it using Google Translate. I did that once with a Chinese lady who emailed me while I worked for the Ministry of Justice, and when I translated my English into Chinese, she responded with hilarious laughter!
hahaha i know right using google translate is a nono because i tried so too chinese to english and it's hard to understand tried with microsoft,yandex,google i can't get a normal human like result

spanish is not my 1st language but tagalog which is our national language 2nd a bit of spanish and the whole another native language 3rd is english

and the 3rd language is just self-study i just chat with aliens online and use a dictionary

that is why i s*ck at speaking this language

Reactions: Paul Christensen

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You seem to be doing pretty well so far. :)
oh i see
then i should try to explain when i get to stand because i tripped yet again and fell on the ground cause of sin qwq i can't look up the face of the Lord right now cause of guilt....

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Here is an excellent video by an eminently recognised and qualified geologist to show the truth about how the earth was formed and the existence of the fossil record before and after the Flood. One would have to be as dense as a hockey puck, or more highly qualified in geology to discount what he is teaching in this video.

Reactions: Nancy

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
oh i see
then i should try to explain when i get to stand because i tripped yet again and fell on the ground cause of sin qwq i can't look up the face of the Lord right now cause of guilt....
I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you. :)

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
don't you experience this?
you fall to sin then back to God then you fall again in a cycle? this is normal right? everyone is experiencing thihs right?
Remember, I'm not a Christian so I don't believe in the idea of sin. The way I see it is, we're all imperfect so it's completely normal for us to mess up now and then. The key is to acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them so you don't repeat them. That's how you grow as a human being, IMO.

Good luck. :)